Republicans stripped of committee slots lash out at GOP leaders
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/04/15675781-republicans-stripped-of-committee-slots-lash-out-at-gop-leaders?lite

Reps. Tim Huelskamp, R-Kan., and Justin Amash, R-Mich., huddled with conservatives after the Republican Steering Committee removed them from their seats on the House Budget Committee.

"It's petty, it's vindictive and if you have any conservative principle, you'll be punished," Huelskamp said at a briefing for conservatives at the Heritage Foundation.

Huelskamp and Amash, along with Reps. David Schweikert, R-Ariz., and Walter Jones, R-N.C., lost their seats on the budget panel and House Financial Services Committee after the GOP conference determined they were "not team players," in the words of one Republican aide.

That action has prompted a minor outcry among conservatives, who fear that lawmakers who cross the GOP leadership will be punished for their transgressions. That fear coincides with mounting concern on the right that Republican leaders will cut a "fiscal cliff" deal with President Barack Obama that results in higher taxes, through either increased rates or eliminated deductions.
I don't know if it looks like they are cutting people who are trying or what is going on?
This was a BIG message to the republican party and especially the tea party. The republican party is heading way to far to the right and the quicker the Leaders of the party reign it in, the better it will be for the party's future.
I must say, I am surprised. I wonder what it means exactly.
Were the people who were removed more far right, or more towards the middle?  Seems like the latter.  IMO, they need to be doing the opposite, if that's the case.
I know at least one of the ousted congressmen is considered to be a leader of the 'anti tax tea party movement'.  De Mint got kicked to the curb and frankly, I'm quite happy about it.  Those on the farthest side of right and the farthest side of left cause these issues to be the most problematic to getting resolved.  Bye bye tea party.  
Well, yes, that's a good thing.  I'd like to see the tea party go bye bye.  They do NOT represent our party well at ALL.  Quitw the opposite..usually they're an embarrassment.  If they want the repub party to thrive...they need to kick the tea party to the curb.
Tea Party, moderates, far right...doesn't matter what you consider yourself. What the Republicans need to do is to send out the message of who a republican is, what we stand for and not back down. Don't let the media or the Dems dictate who we are and what we believe in.
Vance, I do think that the Republican party needs to represent the majority of those who call themselves Republican and the tea party doesn't do that.  I thought they added value in the very begining when they were speaking in terms of 'fiscal responsibility' and trying to reign things in in Washington.  But then they powered up and morphed into this group that wanted to control everything and slid further and further to the right.  They've been so engrossed in their own power that I think they lost sight of their original intention and became a detriment to the party.  They now in my opinion have damaged the party tremendously and I personally have been waiting for the party as a whole to say enough to them.  It might have just happened.  I took the time to write to my congressmen and senator for my district and tell him that I didn't want them to be held hostage by the tea party.  To work for the majority of Republicans rather than that few.  Nothing gets done by the far right or far left but disruption to progress in my opinion.  At least that is how I feel about it.
I don't care what the Tea Party does or anyone else who considers themselves a Republican. What I want them to stand by though is the principle that makes a Republican great.

Less government, personal responsibility, less taxes, better representation, strong defense...

I might start a thread asking people here what does it mean to be a Republican to them.
Vance, do you like the Tea Party movement?  I'm just curious.  I had many friends that did in the begining and some stuck with it for a while.  And now, they still believe in much of what you are saying as I do but not as the tea party does (very rigid).  Their original intent made sense to me but now they just seem to be unyeilding in any way and I think it is not helpful in working through the issues.  We have to get to some common ground.  Far right and far left do not work in my opinion.  
"We have to get to some common ground.  Far right and far left do not work in my opinion."

So true....
SM, excellently said.

The problem with them is, Vance, while they may represent some of the repub views, they are too extremist.  They draw these hard lines, and are forever making these outrageous statements that are an embarrassment to the party.

Extremism isn't good on either side.  All that leads to is more lines drawn in the sand, and less willingness to compromise.  What good is it if we have a country that can get nothing done because both sides refuse to budge?  You know...kind of like what's going on now?  The extremism only fuels that fire.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Dee1956 Meegy 172 days!! Coincidenc... Comment
Dec 01
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
Nov 30
Derekcarter commented on Derealization and Dep...
Nov 30