485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Senate Dems face gun-control dilemma
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

Senate Dems face gun-control dilemma

"But Feinstein could be leery of putting her Democratic colleagues in a tough political position. Seeking a vote in committee could lead to headlines such as “Democrats help defeat assault weapons ban bill.”

Reid has declined to endorse Feinstein’s measure, and he worked to defeat renewal of the assault weapons ban in 2009. Democratic senators in conservative states running for reelection in 2014, including Sens. Max Baucus (Mont.), Mark Begich (Alaska) and Mark Pryor (Ark.), have also balked at it.  

If gun violence legislation came from the Judiciary Committee to the Senate floor with the assault weapons ban and the prohibition on high-capacity clips in it, opponents would have a tougher time defeating those controversial provisions.

Democrats could be faced with a tough vote if they have to decide to advance or block a comprehensive gun violence bill that includes the assault weapons ban.

"Reid is not eager to press his centrist colleagues to take a politically dangerous vote to pass gun control measures if they will only stall in the House.

“The logic of Senate Republicans and some Senate Democrats is, ‘If the House won’t pick it up, much less pass it, why would we stick our necks out?’ ” said a strategist tracking the Senate debate. "

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/281343-senate-democrats-face-gun-dilemma-

The logic of Senate Republicans and some Senate Democrats is, ‘If the House won’t pick it up, much less pass it, why would we stick our necks out?’ ” said a strategist tracking the Senate debate. "

I see this point, no one said it would be easy.
The point I was trying to make in the other post before it went off in all different directions is, they where voted in office to represent their constituents. What Obama/Biden and the rest of the country want is irrelevant. Biden is living in a dream world if he thinks they will re-elect them if they go against them. It will be a repeat of 1994. Not only will they not be re-elected, the Democrats will lose valuable seats. Not that I really care that the seats will be lost, I just don’t see the logic behind it. At best it would be winning a Battle but Losing the War and I really doubt the Battle will be won. That’s a lot to risk.
hrsepwrguy commented on photo
specialmom commented on Scared now...Not sure...
Barb135, and brice1967 commented on orphanedhawk's status