485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Sex offenders in the classroom: Sex abusers getting hired in schools?
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
32 members

12/16/10

Sex predators who target children are getting jobs in America's schools, according to a shocking new government report.

In 15 cases where schools hired people with a history of sexual misconduct, 11 abused children and in six instances, the sex offenders used their new jobs to abuse more children, the Government Accountability Office report stated.

Some horrific examples include:

-  An Ohio teacher forced to resign a previous job for "inappropriate" conduct with female students was called an "outstanding teacher" by the school superintendent and was later hired in a nearby district where he was convicted of sexual battery of a sixth-grade girl.

-  A registered sex offender in Texas was hired by several schools in Louisiana. He is currently wanted by police for having "sexual conversations with a student."

- An Arizona school's rush to fill an opening resulted in skipping a criminal check of a teacher convicted of sexually abusing a child. The teacher was later convicted for having sexual contact with a student and had videos of nude, underage girls in his possession.

"I think this report tells us that we should be very concerned," Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), the Chairman for the House Committee on Education and Labor, told ABC News.

According to Miller, the biggest problem is that schools allow sex offenders to resign and in several cases write letters of recommendation on their behalf, a move the congressman calls "passing the trash."

"It's outrageous," he said.

The report notes studies showing that 232 child molesters claimed they abused 17,000 victims, sometimes never being caught.

Roughly 38 states require criminal history checks for public school employees. The checks for private school workers vary among the states. Kansas and Montana have no background checks for any school employees, the report found.

"The current system clearly has huge gaps in it," Miller said. "And that is just not acceptable."

***@****

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/12/16/2010-12-16_sex_offenders_in_the_classroom_shocking_report_finds_sex_abusers_getting_hired_i.html#ixzz18K2Zagu6
This makes me ill.  Sorry---------- do that c rap to a minor and you lose your right to be paid by our tax dollars to have another chance.  

They've tried rehabilitating sex offenders and pedaphiles in particular . . .  most of the time it doesn't work.  

Not sure what kind of job they can get but it certainly shouldn't be with kids.  And I think they should lose their benefit to receive government financial support when they can't find employment due to their history.  Technically their own fault--------- I don't want to pay for their living expenses either.  

Am I  a little hardcore?  Ho ho ho-------- must be that holiday cheer.

In Australia to work even voluntarily with children under 18 you must carry a Blue Card,this is only issued after police checks are done.
Teachers,church officials,sports coaches,doctors,nurses,even tuckshop volunteers have to hold a Blue Card before they can work with the children.
OH Heck NOOOOO.  I'm sorry, but in my opinion Sex Offenders have no place working anywhere near children.  I doesn't matter if they've been so-called rehabilitated or not, I still would not trust them around my children.  

Narla That sounds like a very Smart program that Australia has implemented, and I think a lot more countries including Ours should jump on board with that.  

Happy Holidays Brenda
Oh man, this takes me back to my high school days.  We had a history or government teacher that was "really cool" with all of the guys who played sports.  On occaision he'd sponsor some beer parties..... fortunately this guy got found out and ran out of town.  Unfortunately he moved another state, another district and ended up molesting a couple of kids.... this guy was on 60 minutes about 20 years ago....

This is just wrong.  They do background checks for janitorial staff, why not teachers?  
I think this is another symptom of slacking when it comes to protecting our children. I mean IN THE SCHOOLS! What excuse does the schools have for not doing thorough background checks, especially in the times we live in. Where do they think these perverts are going to crop up? Where the children are for starters! Playgrounds! Scouts! Childrens Sports! Church!  Lack of Common sense and unforgiveable imo! Criminal is the word that describes it. Hold who hired those idiots accountable with their jobs!
Barb135, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
Barb135, specialmom, and Dee1956 commented on specialmom's status
specialmom Wishing all peace on Easte... Comment