485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
The SNOWDEN Effect....
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are determined to be argumentative, combative, or offensive. MedHelp has recently changed their Terms of Use; with the new format and other changes being made, this would be a good time to familiarize yourselves with the new TOU as well. You can access those via the following link: http://www.medhelp.org/legal/terms_of_use Name calling, ridicule and abusive language is not allowed (per MH Terms of Use); this includes the title of your thread. Any thread posted with derogatory name calling in the title will be deleted, no matter how informative your thread might be, unless it’s part of the published title of the article you’re posting…This type of abuse brings nothing constructive to the forum and serves only to instigate altercations. We are all adults and are expected to behave accordingly… Failure to comply with these rules will result in being deleted from the group membership list. You *must* post a link to your source or your thread will be deleted.

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
39 members

The SNOWDEN Effect....

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45755883/ns/msnbc-the_last_word/vp/52236048#52236048
This guy.....
The only thing this guy has said that I totally agree with is the statement he made in regards to Cheney calling him a traitor? Yeah, I agree that Cheney calling anyone a traitor is just amazing!!!!!

Other than that, yeah, this guy!
http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/06/18/obama-on-nsa-snowden-and-not-being-cheney/

Obama responds to the nsa mess. Worth a read!
I think this Snowden kid is on to something.  I don't know if I agree with his tactics, but why would this kid put his own neck out on the line if there wasn't something going on?  

That being said, I read something yesterday (AP) on either Yahoo or AOL about a new poll that suggests that the Presidents popularity is at its lowest point.  (It apparently dropped 7 points this week.)  What I found intriguing about this is, they (whoever the pollsters were) accredited this drop to voters between the ages of 18 and 30 for changing their opinion on the job that the President is doing.

I spoke about this before the President got elected... that he was promising some things that just couldn't happen.  (That's where the hope and change came from.)  I think these voters are seeing all of this as "politics as usual" and that the system is set as such to not allow much change.

Back to the subject... the President said that "they are not looking at emails and listening in on phone calls...." and that they "have to get a warrant".  More or less, they aren't watching someone until they have a warrant.... that makes me wonder.  What are they looking at that would allow them to get a warrant?

Troubling... all of this.
I think the expectation that the Presidents approval numbers would not drop with the onslaught of scandal or non scandal, is naive dont you? The numbers point to the young voter over the nsa mess. I find it kind of funny that it is the younger facebook, twitter, socializing group that actually has an expectation of privacy while my generation kind of assumed it went with the territory after 9/11.

I was watching cnn a few moments ago where the top guys were being grilled on all this. I will repeat what one fellow said. He was asked if the nsa has the ability to view personal emails and such with the flip of a switch. Answer was NO. Now one can make what they want about all that but that is what he said. They also said there have been approximately 50 instances where this program has been instrumental in thwarting attacks and gave the examples of 4 but I dont remember what they are. sorry
I don't doubt for a second that the program has thwarted some attacks.  But take Facebook for instance....  I know damned well that there are people in high places looking at facebook pages, gathering intel, and maybe then perhaps getting a warrant.  

I look at potential employees facebook all of the time to try to get a feel for who I am hiring.

I just think its a bit naive to feel that someone isn't looking in at any given time.  Apparently this younger age group had the idea that the President would not be part of that?  I don't know...
I'm not too happy with the President either HOWEVER, I keep myself informed so I know it's not ALL him. Congress has a BIG role in why some of the things Mr. Snowden feels are broken promises. For example GUANTANAMO..The repubs don't want it closed, they have majority to keep it open so therefore he President's hands are tied..He can't veto that....
Yeah, seems Mr. Snowden is not that well informed as to what goes on, on the hill. Makes me wonder if he really knows what he is talking about with anything else and it is now appearing that you have a disguntled voter unhappy with obama? Um yeah, this is what I mean when I say boomerang effect. He hasnt a clue as he proved with the gitmo comment. I wonder if he knows
congress is again blocking any action of getting that thing closed? Of course not, just really a simple answer and blame obama.

The more he talks the more he reveals.
"Disgruntled voter"..... he falls right into that 18-30 year old group who supposedly voted for the guy and are now responsible for the drop in the poll.
No, I think he is actually a libertarian..... lol
specialmom commented on KTowne's status
Apr 27
Barb135 commented on opus88's status
Apr 26
Dee1956 commented on fntn's status
Apr 25