485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
The economy needs stimulus as oppossed to game playing
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
37 members

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show/#50064761
I know some of you don't like her, but give her your ear. She has a great interview with R.J. Dionne from the Brookings Institute which has helped me start to shift some of the pieces into some kind of sense, for me anyway.
I saw this last night..I watch her every night. She's very bright and smart....Unfortunately, some on the right on this forum will NOT give msnbc or any of their hosts a chance...They say they are biased and blah blah blah..The funny thing is, MSNBC has BOTH repubs and Dems with shows. They ALWAYS have someone representing the right and the left....I like Rachel..
Don't have volume at my current PC. Does this talk about another stimulas package? If it does then Maddow and Dionne both need to be slapped.
And yes we need more stimulus. Economists have said the first stimulus wasn't big enough. Unfortunately congress was not ready for that amount...
MrsP you are 100% incorrect. MSNBC does not have any R's with shows. Morning Joe, that joke is not a R. He is a RINO. And Sharpton, Matthews, Maddow, O'Donnell and Special Ed never have on R's to talk about the issues. So don't try to play it off as MSNBC is not biased and is not 100% liberal news network.

Special Ed, Maddow, Sharpton and liars, racists and insult me on a personal level.
Obama's stimulas did nothing. OBAMA SAID SHOVEL READY JOBS And guess what...there were none. So let the government run up another Trillion in debt to do nothing. The government can't spend there way out of a recession.
No you are `100% wrong. EVERY show on MSNBC ALWAYS has a Republican, a Democrat, and a News SOURCE. Joe Scarborugh is a Republican, you say he's not why? because he's not FAR RIGHT like you. Andrea Mitchell is a Republican. I mean she's married to Allen Greenspan (another republican) S.E Cupp form the Cycle is a Republican..So don't tell me! You assume because the ones you named are liberal. They admit it. They don't shy away from it just like those on fox news. SO if you're going to be negative I say (in my best Archie Bunker voice) STIFLE IT!

"Special Ed, Maddow, Sharpton and liars, racists and insult me on a personal level."

You want some cheese with that wine??????
Maddow represents truths you dont want to hear. No surprise you are personally offended vance!

Prove her wrong.
I like Rachel Maddow too. She is incredibly bright but what it impresses me most is how she presents an issue with such clarity.
I am well aware that she is on the left, but she  seems to be fair-minded.
It is a bit of a revelation to me that this cliff negotiations going on really shouldn't be the first order of business. That we already fell of a few years ago and that with Obama's stimulus pkg. there has been economic growth despite the hysteria over the debt.
Like I said, I am new to this and I claim no expertise, but what is happening at least is beginning to make sense to me, at least from that point of view.

Vance-I don't think it is fair to put Sharpton in the same category as Maddow.
She is nothing like that creep.
It is like me connecting Rush Limbaugh to David Brooks.
MrsP I'm sorry your either blind or lying. Joe is not a R. He may have it by his name but he is not an R. It's simple as that. Ed, Maddow and O'Donnell never and I mean never have a R on the show. Find me in the past year where combined they had 10 R's on there shows. They all worship Obama and Ed takes money from labor unions.
You bring in FoxNews...at least O'Reily and Hannity do have D's on there shows on a consistant basis.

Mitchell is not a Republican. You must be blind to think she is a republican. Just because she is married to one. That is like saying Carvell is a R because he is married to one.

You crossed the line again with me, you better simmer down with your attacks on me. This is a free pass next time you will not be so lucky.

Teko, prove me wrong that maddow is not 100% biased and is only about her views. Truths? Truths? So what she says is the truth? Why because she said so? Give me a break.
Nope,you first, prove her wrong! Or admit you cannot.
Oh boy, now come on.  Rachel Maddow we are defending here??  I like her for other reasons than her tv show (she has an interesting history and she can be a little funny which always makes me like someone)---  but her show is quite biased.  I've watched it a few times and see it as far left entertainment just like shows that appear on Fox.  
Waiting
If what she says is not true, it should not be hard to prove. Waiting
Rachel Maddow for president!!!  She knows better than everyone else.  Wasn't it her opinion rather than fact?  I'll have to check into it further but her show is often a presentation of various factoids (whether slanted or from biased sources or not) placed into her opinions.  
I'll go google the transcript to the show and see what TRUTH she speaks this time.  

Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I don't like her.  But she is left news rather than news and I don't think even she denies that.  
You are a republican, you have republican views, you are biased. All the same things you accuse another of if they are democrat, have a democratic view and are biased.

Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black. She has never had anything on her program that was not factual in nature. Well now I take that back, I think politifact had one and she is still fighting them on that one. And yes she has very interesting guests.
But its a given that you being the polar opposite of her would not agree with ANYTHING SHE  has to say. Right?
  I've watched it a few times and see it as far left entertainment just like shows that appear on Fox.

Exactly.

I'd like to hear from non-partisan experts about another stimulus package.  Stimulus funds by themselves are a great idea, but not when you cannot afford them, with the enormous, and growing by the second debt.

We're moving towards having to deal with sequestration because neither side could agree on CUTS...how do you POSSIBLY rationalize adding spending like 200 billion (50 billion, minimum) on stimulas into that mix?

Mandatory spending cuts and free stimulus money....isn't that in itself an oxymoron?

That would be like someone in foreclosure taking out a $300,000 personal loan.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

I am listening to the feed right now.  I'll let you know if she speaks the TRUTH.  

I'm just saying that the show that RM puts on is a show.  It is not a news program but rather an entertaiment news program like many.  Therefore, it has a mission which is to represent Maddow's views rather than simply giving unbiased news.  

She picks and chooses what she presents.  She is highly interested in promoting left leaning views.  That makes her not exactly the source of TRUTH but rather a good place to go to get fighting points if you are a Democrat.  
What is the nature of these spending cuts? Do you know? Share?
Yeah she has never said anything that was not fact? I have a bridge, would you be interested in buying it? I assume from your above statement you would be.

http://www.newstalk1160.com/rachel-maddow-lies-again-politifact-whacks-her-again-this-time-on-rick-perry-tax-plan
Come on now, teko...would you take anything seriously we posted from Limbaugh?  It's kind of along the same lines.

Sure, there can be factual info...somewhere in there...but usually thesde kinds of shows are slanted to the point that they will argue any point in their favor.

Awesome! now replace a couple of words there like right leaning, good place to go to get fighting points if your a republican, You are describing Fox News!

AWE!
"You crossed the line again with me, you better simmer down with your attacks on me. This is a free pass next time you will not be so lucky."

What the H3ll are you talking about????  

" Ed, Maddow and O'Donnell never and I mean never have a R on the show."

I'm looking into this...
So do you have the lowdown on those spending cuts? I am interested.
Hey, I don't post anything from fox nor do I watch it.  
Oh, and I am not saying that our rivll shouldn't have posted this.  It is interesting as I listen and watch.  

I was just giving some general comments about these types of shows.  
So, your into CNN? Where do you get your news? I dont watch Rachael Maddow very often but I love her, she is the one that got me onto Nate Silver, you know that democrat that called the election accurately? Everyone called him biased too, but he was right on the money.

She is on too late at night for me and I get most of my news from CNN
Its pretty obvious to me that you are not getting YOUR info from a bipartisan source. But being way way right, you definately would not like Rachel
Here is the complete list...everything from defense, to education...you name it.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/legislative_reports/stareport.pdf
Okay, was that a repeat??  Because now they are going over Romney's poll numbers verses Obama as they "inch toward the general election."  

Honestly, as i listen to this----  I've always kind of liked her but it is probably a good thing for me to not watch her show because she is so far left she is annoying.  

Sorry to say.  I liked her better before you people made me watch this program.  Rats.  
I do probably watch CNN the most.  I watch msnbc, cspan and listen to npr.  I do tend to avoid the 'news programs' that aren't so much news but someone talking from a particular side. If you don't feel the way they do, then it just rubs you the wrong way.  As I am moderate, I don't like left shows or right shows.  
So do you have the lowdown on those spending cuts? I am interested. .

These are accross the board, mandatory cuts to hundreds of departments, just because both sides couldn't come up with a plan of their own.  The defense dept is warning that the sequestrations will be BAD.

That's my point...we have these mandatory cuts coming into play...and this was set up, as a safety net by Obama...and yet, 200 billion of stimulus money makes sense?

How can you rationalize that?
Im not sure what your talking about. They all agreed on these coming sequestations looming in case they failed to compromise. That was a year and a half ago.

You mentioned 200 bil is spending cuts that he is requesting? That is what I am talking about. Im guessing things like extensions of things like unemployment, or maybe a tax extention that has been in effect, infrastructure. Do you have a breakdown of those numbers
I do pretty much the same as you, I listen to CNN mostly but do watch some msnbc, never got into npr?  Never fox,
Your questions:

What is the nature of these spending cuts? Do you know? Share? .

Your reply:

Im not sure what your talking about. They all agreed on these coming sequestations looming in case they failed to compromise. That was a year and a half ago.  (yes, that's what I'm talking about..mandatory cuts that will go into effect on MANY programs if we go over the fiscal cliff)

You mentioned 200 bil is spending cuts that he is requesting? That is what I am talking about

This is what I said...I never said 200 billion in cuts, I said stimulus:

Oh, so you were asking about the stimulus, but you said "spending cuts" instead?  Okay then.  You have me extremely confused, but that's okay.

The 200 billion was in one of the articles posted here.  The official "offer" from Obama stated at LEAST 50 billion.
Maddow has an "op-ed" show. Even Limbaugh eventually says something factual.  Good grief.....
Evidently we are both confused. I guess I misunderstood. Ok, not a problem.
There really is a lot of confusion about this issue. I didn't want to parrot what ppl closer to my line of thinking say, becuse I don't really know what I think w/o the facts. But the facts really seem to be at the mercy of whoever is spouting them.
Very frustrating...
"Almost rational" is only appropriate if both sides are capable of reason/rational thinking which is only possible if the parties have a shared or very similar reality. (Quote from Mikesimon)
I think that this is what it really boils down to. When it comes to American politics, it seems to me that we really do live in parallel universes. I have seen Barb, Mike and Brice closer to the aisle seat more than the rest of us when they are seriously discussing issues but we have such different perspectives. True of the Govt and the people too.
I did see that two of the more conservative Republicans were taken of the budget committee. Maybe that will help ease the way to some compromise.
Well, the Republicans need to ditch the tea party members in my opinion or at the very least minimize them.  They have become too difficult to work with when things need to get done.  
Agreed. There has got to be some middle ground if they are going to make progress.
WOW there is another thing we agree on!...We're o a roll today..lol
*on
It's a BIG day on the CE!!  :>)
The tea party has all but destroyed the republican party. Im not sure it will ever be normal again. We can hope.
Teko
The Progressive movement has taken the party of JFK and turned it on it's head. So why not look at the D party before throwing stones at the Tea Party people.

No I am not far right, I just believe in common sense which is personal responsibility. Maddow is far left, so of course I would not like her. I don't really care much for the people on the right who are on radio and tv. Most interesting person on radio on the right is Mark Levin.
Just where is THIS stimulus going to come from?

Oh, I know... lets raise taxes on the rich!!!!
nursegirl6572 commented on 10356's status
specialmom, mikesimon, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
Dee1956 commented on Idyllic's status