485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
The people speak!
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

The people speak!

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-reformists-dance-streets-president-201849061.html

I really believe the people here want to oust these extremist..they came out by the millions. G-d help them.
Look at these beautiful people out in droves for a landslide victory for a real democratic leader. I wish I could join them dancing in their streets.
It is a lesson to us to all peoples, * together* we are stronger than the evil of any leader or Government.
I wholeheartedly pray they can remain victorious and start the reforms.

It is also a lesson to us to remember they are all mostly Muslims and they are saying *no* to the rabid hatred of their leaders.
Thanks Rivil!  Good article, it was interesting
"But in Iran, even landslides at the ballot box do not equate to policymaking influence. All key decisions — including nuclear efforts, defense and foreign affairs — remain solidly in the hands of the ruling clerics and their powerful protectors, the Revolutionary Guard........"

"Alireza Nader, a senior policy analyst at the Rand Corp. who follows Iranian affairs, described Rowhani as a de facto hero for reformists who couldn't support any of the other five candidates on the ballot.

"It remains to be seen how much room will be given to Rowhani by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and the Revolutionary Guard," he cautioned......"

"Iranian officials, including Rowhani, insist the country's nuclear efforts are only for energy and medical purposes.....".

"The street celebrations also put an emphatic stamp on the end of Ahmadinejad's eight-year era.
He leaves office weakened and humbled after attempts to encroach on the powers of Khamenei and the ruling clerics......."

I'm happy to see Ahmadinejad go. He was a dreary little fascist and his use of the Basij militias to keep to keep the middle class in line was horrific.
But don't forget where the real power is and where the decisions get made in a theocracy. And Rowhani is a cleric. Elections in Iran don't have quite the same meaning as they might elsewhere.

"After weeks of speaking and hearing, it's time to work," Khamenei said on state TV, which gave no mention of street celebrations......."
I know you are right about this, but I just want to hold on to a little hope. It is a Theocracy and resistance *is* likely futile, however the people really came out on this, they essentially risked their lives...those people who went public dancing in the street made a statement and by doing so they defied the powers that be and they also know well there will likely be repercussions...but they still went out, you know?
It is a huge move.
My fist is still in the air on this.
I hope you are right. I think we are seeing the effect of the generation, whose parents were educated under the Shah, coming of age. The Shah may have been an autocrat, but he knew the value of educating his people. The trouble is, the power of all that education and military training we gave the Iranians fell into the hands of the wrong people. Given the right circumstances, this might be a chance for things to come full circle. I hope it is.
"Given the right circumstances, this might be a chance for things to come full circle. I hope it is. "
--------------------------------------------
Me too. Fervently.:)
I admit this is a good sign. I think it remains to be seen how much power or influence he will have seeing that he is merely a shadow for the real power that controls the region. We will see.
I feel such an affinity with these people. Iranians are such awesome people (truly I haven't found a people I didn't like, but still...)

I am sure they don't want a civil war and I doubt the people have the military means to fight their own Government. But you know, sometimes just the power of their will can make a shift.I hope they hold fast. And we , the rest of the world can hope and pray with them.
Change is not always accomplished through bloodshed.
hrsepwrguy commented on pooh55811's status
Sep 20
Dee1956 commented on mckansas's status
Sep 20