485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Thousands of condoms clog Games village drains
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
35 members

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39552406/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

updated 10/7/2010 8:13:30 AM ET 2010-10-07T12:13:30

'We all know that encouraging safe sex is a very important thing to do

NEW DELHI — Thousands of flushed condoms threatened to choke the Commonwealth Games village's drainage system, media reports said, in the latest in a string of problems — from hidden snakes to outbreaks of dengue — to hit the venue.

Games organizers, who won a race against time to ready the village, are now battling to clear clogged drains after non-biodegradeable contraceptives were flushed down toilets in the first week of the event.

"If that is happening, it shows that there is use of condoms and I think that is a very positive story. Athletes are being responsible," Commonwealth Games Federation President Mike Fennell told a news conference on Thursday.

"We all know that encouraging safe sex is a very important thing to do."

Games organizers had provided 8,000 free condoms in the village, and the provision appears to be in high demand.

More world news  Wave of toxic sludge reaches Danube River
Toxic red sludge which burst out of a metals plant reservoir — killing at least four people and causing serious burns to others — reached the mighty River Danube Thursday. Full story

.Updated 77 minutes ago 10/7/2010 4:12:42 PM +00:00 Deadly blasts hit famed Sufi shrine in Pakistan
Updated 54 minutes ago 10/7/2010 4:35:33 PM +00:00 Canadian officer to admit murders, sex attacks
Floods continue to punish Asia, killing nearly 140
Russian students create erotic calendar for Putin
..Eager athletes
One official told the Mail Today newspaper on Thursday that over 4,000 had already been snapped up by eager athletes.

Shoddy construction work, fears over an outbreak of dengue fever and worries about security had meant many teams delayed their move into the village before the Games began.

advertisement | ad info
Advertisement | ad info
Advertisement | ad info
.However, blame for the latest problem lies firmly with the athletes.

Following a decision to provide free condoms at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, it has become something of a tradition.

At the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000, athletes quickly used up the 70,000 free condoms provided, forcing organizers to supply another 20,000, while at the 2004 Games in Athens, the provision was doubled to 130,000.

At both the Beijing Games in 2008, and the Vancouver Winter Olympics in February, 100,000 condoms were provided for athletes.
They hand out condoms to physically fit athletes.  Male and female.  Then they don't make provisions for their disposal.  Not smart.  When you have that many young, fit and attractive young people in one spot, there will be sex.  Lots of sex.
At least they were being safe?  Lol, trying to find something positive out of this.

India is a fascinating country.  In some ways so progressive, yet in others (such as sewage and public health), so far behind we in North America.  I am not surprised there are these challenges.  It is a very very different country and things are dealt with in a very different manner.  Still, I have been there, and I can tell you it is one of the most interesting places I have ever travelled.  I am not certain what people expect...when travelling to a foreign country, you cannot expect things to be the same way they are at home.  Yes, they have snakes.  Yes, they do not deal with waste the same way we do...the food is different and the water does not typically agree with our systems.  Embrace the differences and learn..and be prepared.   It seems to me that many of these athletes (ours included here) expected this country to conform to their standards....when visiting a foreign country we should expect to adapt to theirs.  
ChitChatNine is happy! Comment
nursegirl6572 commented on tha godhead
brice1967, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
Jul 20