485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Two granddaughters of Fred Phelps leaves Westboro
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

Two granddaughters of Fred Phelps, the leader of the virulently anti-LGBT Westboro Baptist Church often found protesting with “God Hates Fags” signs, have left the group. Megan and Grace Phelps-Roper were among the most visible members of the group online, with active social media presences that promoted the group’s hateful message until last year. Megan posted her first tweet since October yesterday, linking to a statement announcing their exodus and apologizing for their actions:
“We know that we’ve done and said things that hurt people. Inflicting pain on others wasn’t the goal, but it was one of the outcomes. We wish it weren’t so, and regret that hurt.
We know that we dearly love our family. They now consider us betrayers, and we are cut off from their lives, but we know they are well-intentioned. We will never not love them.
We know that we can’t undo our whole lives. We can’t even say we’d want to if we could; we are who we are because of all the experiences that brought us to this point. What we can do is try to find a better way to live from here on. That’s our focus.
Up until now, our names have been synonymous with “God Hates Fags.” Any twelve-year-old with a cell phone could find out what we did. We hope Ms. Kyle was right about the other part, too, though – that everything sticks – and that the changes we make in our lives will speak for themselves.“
While this statement is presumably just a first step in those changes, it’s also a heartwarming reminder that regardless of the prejudices people are raised with and humanity’s most stubborn tendencies, they can actually still learn new things about themselves and their LGBT neighbors.
For more information on Megan’s journey away from the church, read this excellent feature by Fast Company’s Jeff Chu.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/02/07/1554321/wbc-phelps-granddaughters-leave/
Thank God they've seen the harm and damage they have done and seem remorseful and repentant. I do hope that is the case.
I for one look forward to the new beginning they wish to make for themselves. I hope they can bring about more of a positive change and message than anyone expects.
Paul from the Bible accomplised that. And with God, all things are possible.
Great find Teko, wonderful for them. What a hard choice to have had to make. But it shows, things can CHANGE for the BETTER.
Also great post AHP.  Agree whole with my whole heart, every word.
It seems that the young amongst us seems to figure it all out somehow. I hope it is genuine and I wonder how messed up they must be in the heads from being brainwashed all their lives. It wont be easy.
nursegirl6572 The biggest communication p... Comment
Dee1956 commented on timothy141's status
Dee1956 commented on Buba1962's status
Sep 14