485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Two little boys plotting to kill classmate
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
35 members

COLVILLE, Wash. — A northeast Washington judge has found two boys, ages 10 and 11, competent to stand trial in juvenile court on a murder conspiracy charge.

Stevens County Prosecutor Tim Rasmussen says the fifth-graders had a handwritten plan listing seven steps leading up to the planned killing of a female classmate. That list was submitted as evidence at their mental capacity hearing Friday.

A county judge ruled that the boys understood the nature and consequences of their actions. They pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, witness tampering and juvenile possession of a firearm.

The boys were arrested Feb. 7 at Fort Colville Elementary School after a fourth-grader saw one playing with a knife on a school bus and told a school employee. A backpack search also turned up a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol and ammunition.

The Spokesman Review reportsthe boys are being held on $100,000 bond each. Both a defense psychiatrist and a state psychologist say they present a danger to the community.

detroitpress.com
http://www.freep.com/article/20130330/NEWS07/130330012/Fifth-graders-face-trial-for-planning-to-kill-classmate?odyssey=obinsite
I saw this; how tragic can it get?  Why on earth would 5th graders need to kill a classmate? What could she have done that was worth that? So sad.
Man....  I am trying to come up with a new theory as to what is going on in society today.  When I was in 5th grade, all I could think about was recess/kickball, playing baseball and riding bikes.  
I guess you'd have to look into the dynamics of these kids home lives for a start.  Then, how much truth would you really get?  
It really is a whole new world. It is impossible for me to wrap my mind around this.
Honestly, I don't get it.  I find it impossible to wrap my head around it as well.  Where does this discontent come from?  It has to start in the home, I'd guess.

Remember back to your 5th grade years....  I kid you not.  Recess and playing kickball, baseball and riding my bike were MY priorities.  (Oh, and looking out for my little sister.)
I think it is related to the freuent violent images the kids are continually exposed to in the media, especially the games.
I know, I played war games as a kid, and played out death scenes, the whole bit, but I don't think I was as desensitized to death as the kids are nowadays. They are constantly exposed to images of killing and sometimes it is even glorified.

I think other things contribute to it as well, like not enough responsible adult guidance and nurturing. Kids need attention and validation in their lives and I think that need is underestimated.
They play even more of those games in Japan but don't have near the violence that we have.
As far as the games (video) go, there are a lot of kids who play that are not violent.  They know the difference and understand that difference.  

I remember back to the days where Ozzie Osbourne and his music were being blamed for suicides.  The guy has millions of fans, and a couple committed suicide....?  

You've got to look at the individual.  Something is amiss, that's for sure.

"I think other things contribute to it as well, like not enough responsible adult guidance and nurturing. Kids need attention and validation in their lives and I think that need is underestimated. "

Feels weird to quote myself, but you guys didn't bother with the 2nd paragraph. Ha!

I don't pretend that either are entirely responsible but I think that lack of attention and interest in ones children along with the intense violent images the kids are immersed in, largely contribute to this sort of thing.

It doesn't take much to look a child in the eye, listen to her/his thoughts, demonstrate concern for his/her feelings, but a lot of ppl don't really know how to do that consistently.
"They play even more of those games in Japan but don't have near the violence that we have."
.
Good Point, I never thought of that.
Haha
Proactive uploaded a new photo
31 mins ago
child24angel 6years Yesterday my son, I ... Comment
child24angel, Proactive, and mikesimon commented on susan400's status