485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Unequal healthcare for all.....
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

Unequal healthcare for all.....

It's often stated that the government employees will be able to keep their current medical coverage providers.  This system is a non-contributory perk where the employees will not be affected by any increases due to the (Obamacare) increases in taxation and other restrictions.  Independent health care providers will see a sharp rise  in their cost of operation and will no doubt  need to pass this through to their policy holders.  For this reason, you may be able to keep the insurance that you have if you can still afford it.  The real "fly in the ointment" is that once you leave that coverage for any reason (can't afford premiums, change jobs, or employer drops his health care benefit), you must enroll in the government healthcare system. The liberals behind this bill are bragging about the 30 + million new people that will have insurance coverage in the US.  What they fail to tell you is that a great percentage of these people will have been illegal aliens recently upgraded to new US citizenship status through the effects of the soon to be addressed (and subsequently passed by the liberal majority in our government) Illegal Alien Amnesty Legislation.  

The cost of this healthcare program will be bourne by specific taxes on all segments of the population as well as other revenue streams.  However, the revenue streams for this program are going to start immediately while the coverage will not start for 4-6 years.  What this means is that our corrupt government will have 4-6 years to spend these funds on other pet programs.  By the time Obamacare kicks in there most likely will be insufficient financial backing to sustain it.

This is not the utopian program it's been publicized to be.  The media and the administartion have covered up it's many flaws in backroom dealings, bribery and deception.  The only hope we have is to replace these criminals through the election process.  Please vote your informed conscience.
-8 Comments
Bilderberg Group.....They are your backroom dealings and bribery..They control everything .Handpicked and put Obama in power.
Any issue with illegal immigration is seperate as that bill may or may not pass and currently now it is stated within the bill that only lawful residents of the United States are eligible. I do see concerns within the current proposal and my main concerns are that there are too many give backs to the insurance companies who are corporate lobbies that care only about themselves but do have much power and influence but that is not limited to the democrats.
If the Bill passes they WILL be legal. I agree with you regarding the insurance companies, as it has nothing to do with democrats or republicans.  This is a problem of our government's regardless of party in charge.  We should have enforced tougher regulations on the insurance industry before passing the healthbill. An entire overhaul of the best healthcare system in the world should have been the last option exercised.  
Actually, what you have is the watered down version of the bill. Obama wanted far more but got absolutely nowhere with it. It has also been noted that this is not a perfect bill by any means but is a beginning. Show me in the bill where it says all that you say. Post it here somewhere. From what I understand, certain things will take place this year. Other parts of it have to be put in place and will not take effect for a few years. Exchanges will be set up to purchase health insurance, therefore if you do lose your job and your health insurance or your employer does not carry it, you can still get insurance. I do not subscribe to the conspiracy theory you hear about. I see not proof of such a thing at all. I think as people become more aware of the contents of this bill they will find it acceptable. IMO
And as far as insurance companies raising their rates? They were doing this well ahead of the passage of this bill. They would have done it regardless.
Please read the bill. It doesn't have a thing in there about government run health care. I sure wish it did.  Oh never mind.......just wait until it doesn't happen.
Illegal aliens are not covered in this bill. Please just read it.
But I would be willing to wager that if things keep going the way they are, people complaining about paying for it, we will end up going the way of one payor. Wanna bet? Anyone?
That's what I was talking to ILADVOCATE about.  We needed healthcare reform, but not in this way.  We should have regulated the insurance companies, which are out of control.  With the new Bill they will be forced to cover people with pre-existing condtions (good) etc., but I know you have to realize that we will bare the costs of this with a 3% tax hike across the board for everyone, plus higher premiums, so these insurance companies will still run rampid and they need to be stopped.
Nancy Pelosi summed it all up very well with her statement "We need to pass this bill quickly so that the American people can see what's in it!"  Doesn't this seem a little bass-ackwards?

I guess we will all know when the dust settles.
Oh now dont get me wrong! If I had my way, it would be a public option or a one payer system absolutely. Why? You just nailed it! But then, that would be socialism would it not? I also dont think it should be tied your job in any way. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, this is what we got and tho it is not the perfect piece of legislation, it is a start. IMO And there are some really good things in there too.
How can our health care be the best ?  It sure doesn't feel like it when you have no health care.  Oh, Oh, you mean it's the best for the ones that can afford it. I get ya.
Shhhhh......I think I know why, but don't tell anyone.  Could it possibly be that ......it's not the best.
BOTTOM LINE: REFORM HOLDS INSURANCE COMPANIES ACCOUNTABLE
1.Insurance companies that spend too much on CEO salaries and marketing are required to send you a rebate check
2.Insurance companies that engage in price gauging will be banned from offering plans in the Exchange
3.Insurance companies must now be transparent and provide notice for all rate hikes, so you can easily shop around for less expensive coverage
Insurance companies must spend at least 80% of your premium dollars on medical services, not CEO salaries, marketing or administrative services - and must send consumers rebates for any non-compliance
I SAID our healthcare system is out of control, and needed reform, but not the way Obama is doing it!  No other country has copied it because they don't have the freedoms we do, and this is why Canadians and everyone else comes to our country for their health care. We were the best! Where will we go? Our government will now tell medical students what specialty they will go into, we will lose most of our good doctors Now we are copying the rest of the world in this new bill.  None of you have read the bill it's so big, nobody even read it before voting on it!  Our government didn't tell us what was in it, just picked out a few things to keep everyone happy, please if anyone has a link to the bill in it's entirety, let me see it!  Not the partial one that's circulating, the whole bill.
What good does it do just for insurance companies to have to provide notice for rate hikes?  How's that going to help?  Far as I can see, we'll just have more time to worry about how we are going to pay for it, because you can pretty much figure that most companies are going to stay in line with each other, so most likely you won't be able to find something much cheaper.

I don't think there's a single person in this group who won't agree that there are problems with our health care system; those problems do need to be fixed, but nothing they do is going to help until something is done to stop the runaway costs.

I agree with what mammo said - they should have put the brakes on the health insurance companies before they started health care reform.  The way they've done it, the health insurance companies now have at least 4-6 yrs to get the rates up nice and high to preserve their profits.  
Thanks Barb, finally someone gets it!  Obama just keeps throwing money at our problems instead of holding people accountable.  Our health care system is out of control, but it was once the best, and now we are losing it.  You don't get a new car when it gets a flat, you repair it.  Repairing our current healthcare system would have been much cheaper than throwing money at a new bill. People on here want to bash the CEO's of the current health care system (which I agree is out of control) but they need to look at Washington and all the money being secretly passed aroung there.

The Prime Minister of Canada was recently here for treatment by OUR doctors, this should tell you something about their health care program. The people in favor of this bill should look on the medical blogs and read the horror stories of people from these other countries who have to wait up to 2 years to see a doctor or get a test done.... it's headed our way.
I prefer to get my information directly from Canadians, and I have from almost 100 of them. Clearly and directly out of their mouths....none of them would give it up, not a single one that I spoke with.  Oh I'm sure you can find some that aren't happy with it, just like with anything. You can't please them all.
I've been getting it for a long time; just that a lot of people don't want to listen.  It's a lot more attractive to think of things as "government funded" -- gives the illusion that it's really "free".  
Well, I took a beating for not having read the healthcare bill in its entirety the other night.  How many of you have actually read it?  I'm working on it--------------  all 2074 pages with 150 additional pages of changes.  Holy smokes.  The average person will not be able to understand it all-----------.  Does our government have the responsibility to help us understand how this will affect us?  I've read the bullit points sent out by the White House which is much of the favorable parts of the bill----  but many are really not sure how this is going to affect us.  And some takes place now, some down the road (and hopefully some, never)---------  it is confusing.  So don't throw back to me that I need to read the bill----------  I am trying and am hoping it doesn't take until 2014!  Am I alone in that?
Probably the reason why they made the bill so long is the hope that none or very few, would have (or take) the time to read it all; that way no one knows exactly what they are doing to us.   If you read fast enough, maybe you will get it done before it actually goes into effect.............................lol

I don't think anyone fully realizes the impact this is going to have on our lives.  
I am a Canadian, have lived here my whole life.  If you would like to know about our health care system, please feel free to ask me.  You will probably get better information then just jumping to your own conclusions based on something you heard.  Promise I will tell you the truth!  And Mary is correct.... I would not give up our health care system for anything...it could use improvement in some areas, but I wouldn't give it up.  I am happy to explain it to you anytime you like.  
Adgal------ with the passion you have for your health care system----------  I also would not give up the quality of care that we have here.  We do need some changes but I feel as passionately that I do not want your healh care system as you don't want mine.  Obviously you are not seeing that many people do not want a single payer system here and do not want government controlling their health care.    
I am curious and please do not take offense to this question.... For those that do not want government run health care, are you willing to stand up for your beliefs and refuse Medicare, Social Security, SSI,  SSD and Veterans health benefits? Along with other Gov. run programs like medicaid, welfare, food stamps, unemployment, student grants and loans?
You can't miss what you've never had!  Again, I don't know why canadians even care about what is going on in the US!
Copy and paste from your above post.

Who should stop the runaway costs ?   If government does it, you will say you don't want government controlling your health care.  You've got to see how this confuses me.
I am not trying to tell you whether you should have a single payer system or keep things the same.  I do think you should base your decisions on the facts.  I have heard so much misinformation on what a single payer system means, and so much is inaccurate.  Mammo's comments on our Health Care System for example. She has taken a bit of information and come to an inaccurate conclusion on how things work here. I guess it's hard for me to understand why you wouldn't want the information directly from someone living here.  So many say they don't want a system like ours but have no real idea why.  It perplexes me.  If I was making a decision on something that important, I would want all the information.  I have travelled fairly extensively through the US and know many people there.  Many I consider friends.  On top of that, social issues such as poverty are big issues for me, no matter what side of the border people live on.  I am simply trying to help.  I think the US is a great country, but no one is perfect.  I hate to see people scared of something they don't understand.  And I will back up what Rory said....I have all the same freedoms you do.  We aren't so big on guns here either and it's tougher to get them as well, but I don't know anyone who finds that an issue.  Other then that, it's not so different.  
flmagi-------  I've come to the painful conclusion that social security will no longer be viable when I need it.  In my 20's I was told that I paid social security taxes to help with my elder years and to this day I get a few statements a year telling me how much I can expect monthly once I reach a certain age.  Do you really think that I will at this point?  I was made a false promise.  

And Adgal, you must know that you are not my sole source of information.  I have family in Canada and Australia.  One of them has an autistic child and is completely frustrated.  We were brought up in different countries and one thing that about half the people in this country believe in is that you want as little government involvement in your lives.  That is a fundamental difference in how I view things vs. you.  

We also do provide care for those below an income level so don't think that the most needy in our country go without care.  I do happily pay my taxes to help in that area.  

Now let me say again that I am trying to read the full bill to better understand it----------  all 2074 pages of it and 150 additional in amendments.  
I am kind of confused why no one is aware of what is in the bill. We were pretty much hearing the talking points for a year. At least some of us were. But then I have to concede that I was listening to Obama on what his thoughts were. I guess that makes me a moron. I was not surprised by much of anything that is in it so far, it is pretty much along the lines of what he has been saying he wanted to accomplish? I have not read the whole thing or the amendments this is true, but I was aware of the basics. I knew a long time ago that the public option was out and that exchanges were going to be set in place. I also knew pre existing conditions were going to be addressed as well as caps on care and the point that insurance companies can no longer drop someone when they need it most. So, I am confused at the number of people who seem shocked or unaware. We were told all along that waste would be looked for in the other entitlement programs as well as medicaid and medicare. So, Im not sure why no ones else was aware? Must be because I listened to the man that was trying to get it put together. I know some of us here understood but many more did not? I wonder why that is?
Teko----------  If you completely understand that bill and know exactly how you will be impacted financially and what level of care you will have afterwards and what your employer's impact will be-------------  awesome.  I am trying to muddle through it.  

As to knowing exactly what is in it-------  I really did believe it would go back and be redone.  It may have been wishful thinking---------  but there were set backs with this bill that resulted in how that vote was taken last Sunday.  Anyone remember that election in Mass?  
Ok, I respect that.  But I am curious...where is the gov't involved with my life?  I don't think it's much different then what happens in the US.  I am not trying to make this a my country vs. your country debate at all, and I am asking this what respect.  I just wonder what the perception is of govt. involvement in our lives.  
Dee1956 commented on orphanedhawk's status
orphanedhawk is so happy it rained !!!!!... Comment
Barb135, Dee1956, orphanedhawk, and mikesimon commented on orphanedhawk's status