485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Walmart Black Friday Strike:
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

Walmart Black Friday Strike:

Workers Threaten To 'Take Action' On Retailer's Busiest Day

Employees at 28 Walmarts in 12 different cities walked out of work Tuesday, but things may get a whole lot worse for the biggest retailer in the U.S. come Black Friday.

United Food and Commercial Workers' Making Change At Walmart, the group behind the protesters alleging unfair labor practices by Walmart, has warned that the campaign will come to a head on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving that's regarded as one of the biggest shopping days of the year, according to a conference call organized by the group Wednesday.

"We feel like if they refuse to listen to our proposition we will make sure that on Black Friday we will take action inside and outside of stores," said Colby Harris, 22, a Walmart worker from Dallas, Texas, and a member of OUR Walmart, a UFCW-backed worker organization closely affiliated with Making Change at Walmart. "We'll make it known that Walmart's deadline is Black Friday," he added.

The Black Friday protests could include any "non-violent action, from flash mobs to strikes to public awareness," Harris added.

David Tovar, Walmart VP of communications, countered the protesters' claims in an interview with The Huffington Post. "These strikes are an attempt by the unions to further their own political and financial agendas," he said, noting that the majority of Walmart's 1.4 million workers are pleased with their jobs. Tovar wouldn't comment on the possibility of Black Friday strikes.

"More than half of Walmart’s one million hourly store associates have an hourly wage at least $10.00 or higher," he said. "In fact, in many metropolitan areas in which we operate, our entry level start rates regularly exceeds that of new hires for comparable positions under the UFCW contracts."

Tovar also said that three quarters of Walmart's store management teams started out in hourly positions, noting that the company promoted 160,000 hourly workers last year.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/walmart-workers-black-friday-strike_n_1954782.html
Here's what I think of this brilliant idea.  If one wants to take time off from work that was not allocated by your employer, and then you are going to stand outside said work place and protest that place???  You lose your job....  

YOU ARE REPLACEABLE PEOPLE.....
I've always heard that Wal Mart has very good policies on hiring and how they treat their employees.  I personally love the fact that they frequently hire folks with disabilities and developmental delays.  That say's a lot to me.

I find it unfortunate that they are using such a busy and important shopping day in this.  It's almost blackmail isn't it.
Blackmail?  Sure, or some kind of an extortion attempt.  Really, is there anyone here that can just decide to take the day off and stand outside your workplace and protest it and expect to somehow better your position in that workplace?

Personally, I have a job (2 of them in fact) because I need that job.  If your workplace is that miserable, leave.... go find something else.  Maybe Walmart isn't for you, but do yourself a favor and realize that you are replaceable.  There is someone right now in the unemployment line that will gladly take over where you walked out.  
AMEN BRICE!!!!!!
In 100% agreement.  If I did that, my employment would be terminated, and rightfully so.
I kind of agree with the above statements and I kind of dont. When I first moved to the region where I live, I applied for a job at our local walmart which is literally 5 minutes down the road. I got called in for an interview and hired. They took me back to do the paperwork and I asked them the pay rate. Now keep in mind that I had worked in bank positions, other cashier positions and ran the office at a local Meier store up north handling the cash drawers and the vault. I was told the position paid 5.27 an hour and was part time, only part time positions were available. So I guess my local walmart didnt fall in line with the most that are mentioned above. Of course I told them no thanks. I mean, really. Who can live on that? Then a few months ago they got rid of all the greeters and were working  a skeleton crew on weekends. You take the hours they want to give you and that is usually a few hours under what they would have to give you benefits for. I guess this Walmart doesn't belong to a union?

At a time with a recession looming, people needing to take what they can find, do not necessarily have lots of choices. I actually think McDonald's where I live pays much better with better hours and benefits to boot.

So I guess you would say, there are two sides to every story and if the workers feel they are being mistreated or treated unfairly, who am I to say they are not. I don't work there, nor would I, but unlike a lot of those folks, I HAVE a choice. Which Is why I dont.
There's always a choice.  We're talking about Wal Mart...if there's a Wal-Mart around, then that person is in a large, populated area.  They don't put Wal-Marts in in the middle of nowhere.

I hope they find replacements for each and every one of them.
I know I am repeating myself so this is completely redundant, but why on earth would you protest/strike a job that you don't like and somehow expect it to automatically become a better situation?  Would $1 more an hour make Walmart a more desirable work environment?  Better than that, would that $1 make you a better, more productive, more reliable employee?

Come on, man.  Move along....
"if there's a Wal-Mart around, then that person is in a large, populated area.  They don't put Wal-Marts in in the middle of nowhere"

I don't know about that LOL, I used to live in Delta CO and they have a super Wal-Mart

Delta County
Population in 2010: 8,915
Walmart does not have a good reputation for treating it's employees well as far as I know.
It seems like there's been many complaints and suits over the years ranging from discriminating against women, racism, low pay and long hours, etc. I
can't recall all of them, but I never shop there if I can find things elsewhere. And I usually can.
Again... choices.  If Walmart is horrible, don't apply for work there.  Nobody is making people work there.  If you do work there, do your job....  If you dislike your job, look for something else.

We shop there when we can.  Pretty much everything is cheaper.  (4 furnace filters for $1.98 and the mom and pop joint here sells one filter for the same price.)

YES!!!  Perfectly said, brice!

This is where unions have become destructive.  I've seen how a union "protects" an employee first hand at a few of my jobs.  I talked about it on another thread.  I'm all for worker's rights, but far too often, unions protect the lazy employees, and employees use it as a way to be able to work less, for more money.  Gone are the days, IMO, where unions served a purpose.

There are laws in place for that reason.  If a person is being discriminated against, or are being forced to work more than allowed by law, then that person needs to utilize the laws that are in place for that exact reason.  For the most part, unions need to go bye bye.  

We shop there when we can.  Pretty much everything is cheaper.  (4 furnace filters for $1.98 and the mom and pop joint here sells one filter for the same price.) .

Absolutely, me too.  I would shop there more, but it's usually a zoo, and I cannot stand that.  I also frequent the Mom and Pop stores as well, but if I'm looking to buy something, and WalMart has it for 40-50% less, it's a no brainer.  I'm not going to pay twice as much.  I'm not a big fan of throwing my money away.

I DO understand that places like WalMart make it difficult for the mom and pop stores to compete, and I'm certainly compassionate about that dilemma, but there are ways.  
I think a lot of people who belong to the unions have just become indoctrinated or brainwashed.  "You need us....".  Not for the life of me do I believe for one second that if the unions dissolved any jobs would be lost by their dues paying members.  It wouldn't happen.

I've never heard of unions creating jobs.  I've never heard of unions paying peoples bills when a dues paying members lose their jobs.... maybe it happens, but I doubt it.

My Wife has worked at Wal-Mart for years. They treat her good and I’m insured through Wal-Mart (BC/BS). I can say, it was Wal-Mart that made it possible for my HCV Treatment. I personally don’t shop there unless I have to. It’s not anything against Wal-Mart; I just don’t really care to be around people unless I’m getting paid to tolerate them.
It’s not anything against Wal-Mart; I just don’t really care to be around people unless I’m getting paid to tolerate them. .

Me too!

It's craziness there.  I've gone in the middle of the night thinking less crowds, well yes, that's true, but that's when they're restocking everything, you have to literally climb over pallets, grrr!
I have met quite a few Wal Mart employees, and haven't heard complaints, at least not here locally.  I guess it could depend on the location.  However, I don't believe a strike like this and holding a company hostage is the way to rectify a situation.  There are other ways.

I actually just came from Wal Mart.  I often shop there as the prices are good and I can find everything I need in one store (much simpler with a toddler in tow..lol).  But as we get closer to Christmas, eeyikes!  I wish I could avoid stores altogether right now!
I have a niece that has worked for Wal Mart for many years; she's some type of district manager or whatever.  Seems that she does quite well and also provided insurance for her family over the years (her children are now all grown).  I never heard much complaint from her.

We shop at Wal Mart for a lot of things, because the prices are lower.  Why should I pay $4 for a bottle of shampoo at the grocery or drug store, when I can get the same bottle for $1.98 at Wal Mart?  We have a favorite grocery store that offers a lot of "BOGO's" (Buy one/Get one), so don't buy a lot of groceries at Wal Mart.  

I'm sure it varies, depending on the area you're in, but I've found that shopping in my local Wal Mart is easiest (especially this time of year) in the 5:00 - 7:00 am time frame.  They've completed a lot of the restocking (no climbing over pallets, for this old gal......lol), but haven't yet gotten busy for the day.  When I get ready to go shopping, I usually pick a day to get up ultra early and get it done; not always all at Wal Mart.....

Like everyone else, I wish I could avoid stores, altogether, this time of year, because the rude, crude crowds drive me insane. In recent years, I've often done a good share of my shopping online, which allows me to avoid the madness.
For truly rude crowds I don't think anything beats Costco on a weekend,  at least in my city.  Honestly, I was there last saturday and complete road rage in the parking lot and very very angry people in the store itself.  All I could think of while trying to do my shopping was that I was very very glad no one seemed to be armed..yikes!
One year . . .  I lost my mind and thought I would go to Toys R Us when they opened at midnight on Thanksgiving.  I was seriouslly scrimping pennies and they advertise all these deals that sound fabulous so I put my boys to bed, kissed my husband good night and headed to Toys R Us.  

I've NEVER seen anything like it.  Once i was in the snarl of traffic, I couldn't get back out.  I was stuck for over an hour just in a small patch of area by toys r us.  I realized this was NOT going to be a good idea.  Then the only way to get back out was to go into the parking lot and drive around the store----  I could see the line of people waiting to get in.  I saw men AND women shoving each other.  I saw the police there.  They all saw my tail lights as I headed back out to go home!  Read in the paper the next day that there was a fight in THAT parking lot with a weapon and a pregnant employee got punched.  

I went back the next day around 5 pm (which actually, as one of my very first jobs ever was working at the mall in a department store . . . and I did that on and off for years to earn some extra income----  DINNER TIME is the best time to hit a mall.  Between 4:45 and 5:45---  you should always be able to get a parking spot!!  And the stores are not too crowded then.) the next day and honest to goodness, this humongous store looked like a tornado hit it.  Empty shelves, trash in the aisles, deshelved employees.  

That is my AVOID BLACK FRIDAY at all costs story.  Fa la la la LA
Your black friday is the equivalent of our Boxing Day (day after Christmas).  Not only are there great deals to be had, they made it a statutory holiday.  I would take advantage in my younger years...now I find myself in cold sweats at the mere thought of heading to a mall or any store on Boxing Day.  We stay home and eat leftovers.....just not worth it!  Insanity I tell you.  
Whomever came up with 'black friday' or the same idea after boxing day is masochistic!  

Plus, they advertise these awesome deals but they put only a few in the stores in my experience.  They get ya in the store and you are in such a 'get a deal' frenzy that you buy something else than you went there for.

Never works out for me.

I too spend those days doing something 'else'.  
We have Labor Laws such as Minimum Wage Discrimination, etc. that all companies must abide by. If they are abiding under these rules (they are) and someone is not happy with the job, find another one.

I’m underpaid at my job. I was out of work for about 6 months and took about a 30% pay cut. I know they are taking advantage of me but I damned sure am not going to lose my job over it. When the opportunity comes, I will move on but in the mean time I will be grateful I have a Job.
I'm in a similar pinch.  6 years without a raise and feel as if I am being taken advantage of.  With that said, this time of year there isn't a whole bunch going on and I sure as hell am not going to lose my job over this.  Decent paying jobs around here are pretty hard to come by.....  I'm very grateful to have this job and equally grateful that the people I work for still have faith in me.
OMG...have NEVER ventured out on Black Friday and never will.  With my history of panic disorder, huge scary crowds are a no no for me.  I think it's insanity!  I DO love cyber Monday though!  :0)
Speaking of Walmart/Black Friday/Boxing Day.... I wonder how much cyber shopping is actually hurting the mom and pop operations?  My aunt and uncle owned an appliance store back in the day.  They've since sold the business but that business has since gone under.......
I don't have panic disorder but I prefer to avoid huge rude crowds.

Nope, I won't be shopping that day, Walmart strike or not.

Me either OH!  I pick up a little something here and there thruout the year. I cannot stand the hustle and bustle and pushing and shoving that goes on during the holiday season and I would rather shop the local grocer than walmart for the same reasons. Even if the prices are higher!

I also believe in supporting the locals because if we dont, all we will have are walmarts.....
I have a niece and nephew who have a huge family, they adopted four, four biological and 3 foster. My neice and her pals live for this day. She gets up at 4:00 am makes thermoses of coffee and packs a breakfast for the 5 older kids. Dad stays home with the little ones and she, her friends and the kids get in line by 4:45. For them, it is a party. They love it.
I was visiting one year and as one who likes an adventure, I joined them. In the lot it was fun, a lot of camaraderie and joking around.
Then the doors opened and I was swept into the vortex.
My Gd, it was like entering Dante's inferno! Specifically the 3rd circle of hell-gluttony.
That was the first and last time I entered Walmart! Lol.
I like Amazon online and thrift stores.
If you work on commission at a department store, the best department to be in is the one with ladies items right by the exit.  About an hour before closing time, crazed men come in and buy whatever they can find.  No joke.  I worked in the lingerie department (which had big flannel sleep wear too) and we would practically empty out the department.  I especially loved the ones who hit the bar before coming in as they had no limits.  Those lucky wives of theirs.  (who cares if it fit or was what they wanted . . .it was CONVENIENT).  

Ahh, such good memories of the old days.  

My husband and I don't exchange much---  we each taket he kids out to pick some things for the other (torturous and one time I had to return some slippers as they were 5 sizes too small and mentioned that my young sons and their dad picked them out . . .  and the lady got round eyes and said "I remember them" and had a look on her face that made me not want to ask why).  So, really, I do shopping for my kids primarily.  They are little so still easy as they are still into toys.  Have list, pick up junk.  Go broke.  Done.  

Fa la la la la la la la la la
Amazon is my love, after my hubby and kids.  You can buy anything and everything there, comes right to your door....they have very reasonable prices, and most times, if you're not in a hurry, you can get free shipping.

They are a very customer service oriented co in my experience.  They have always addressed any issue I had, in a timely fashion.

Amazon has GREAT Cyber Monday deals!

ROFLMAO....coca cola burns coming out of the nostrils, btw.

OMG, that made me howl with laughter.  Hysterical.  I can picture you, all wide eyed, terrified, telling your niece where to put her thermos of coffee.  Tee hee.
You are too fun NG. :-)
With 1.4 million U.S. workers, the Bentonville (Ark.)-based company is the U.S.’s largest private employer. For years, Wal-Mart has been targeted by unions and workers complaining about low wages, scant benefits, and retaliation against those who speak out.

Until now, the company has crushed attempts by employees to organize. So it’s unusual that Making Change at Wal-Mart has been able to organize a number of strikes—the first in the company’s history, they say. The first strike occurred in Los Angeles in October. That strike spread to 28 stores in 12 states, organizers say.

In an e-mail, Wal-Mart spokesman Kory Lundberg called the strike “just another exaggerated publicity campaign aimed at generating headlines to mislead” the retailer’s customers and employees. “The fact is, these ongoing tactics being orchestrated by the UFCW are unlawful and we will act to protect our associates and customers from this ongoing illegal conduct,” he wrote, referring to the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.

The workers intend for next week’s protests to be much bigger. They say their goal is not to shame the company, but to improve conditions. “Wal-Mart needs to know,” said Harris, “that if we didn’t want to work with them, we would have quit.”

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-11-16/wal-mart-workers-black-friday-strike
In a conference call with reporters on Thursday, workers who were either planning to strike or already striking explained their situation. “We have to borrow money from each other just to make it to work,” said Colby Harris, who earns $8.90 an hour after having worked at a Wal-Mart in Lancaster, Tex., for three years. “I’m on my lunch break right now, and I have two dollars in my pocket. I’m deciding whether to use it to buy lunch or to hold on to it for next week.” He said the deduction from his bimonthly pay check for health-care costs is scheduled to triple in January. In 2013, Wal-Mart plans to scale back its contributions to workers’ health-care premiums, which are expected to rise between 8 percent and 36 percent. Many employees will forgo coverage, Reuters reports.

Sara Gilbert, a manager who was striking in Seattle, called in on her cell phone: “I work full-time for one of the richest companies in the world, and my kids get state health insurance and are on food stamps,” she said.

Along with Target (TGT) and Sears (SHLD), Wal-Mart has plans to open retail stores at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving night. Employees said they weren’t given a choice as to whether they would work on Thanksgiving and were told to do so with little warning. “They don’t care about family,” said Charlene Fletcher, a Wal-Mart associate in Duarte, Calif. She said she is expected to report for work at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. The workers said that when they complain about scheduling and other problems, management cuts their hours or fires people.

Employees said they weren’t given a choice as to whether they would work on Thanksgiving and were told to do so with little warning. “They don’t care about family,” said Charlene Fletcher, a Wal-Mart associate in Duarte, Calif. She said she is expected to report for work at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. The workers said that when they complain about scheduling and other problems, management cuts their hours or fires people.

OMG, this made me LOL.  Try working in healthcare, or any other industry, where you work holidays, weekends and nights.  If the store is open that day (one of the biggest shopping days of the year)...then SOMEONE has to work.  If you don't like it, find another stinking job.

Good Lord, people should be happy they HAVE jobs.  Gimme a break.

Good for him...hope he sues the union and fires everyone.

Grrrrr, this makes me mad.  Can you tell?  ;0)
I agree that people should be happy to have a job, but I also understand how frustrating it is to work your tail off and by the time the deductions are taken out of the check, there's not enough left to live on.

Let's all remember that Wal-Mart keeps their prices low, because they keep their overhead as low as they can; that includes wages, insurance costs, etc. Not forgetting, they're making a profit; that's what shareholders expect.  Right or wrong, that's the way our system is set up.  

Maybe the laws need to be changed so that profit sharing is required by all corporations;  maybe the first 25% of profits should go back to company employees as bonuses for helping to make a profit.
Go to the sight and read the entire article and then read the comments from workers below the article. Someone should not have to work for a less than liveable wage and once this starts it will rapidly spread across the board, and your choice as you call it, just went out the window.
I don't see how you can compare working in the health field to working for a store.
Stores can close for Thanksgiving and nobody is going to die.
This is not true about hospitals.
Sick people do not have choice about when they get sick.
We do have a choice about when we shop.
Many stores used to close for holidays and all was fine.

Yeah, but what about all the people who are saying they work for wal-Mart, have a fair to good wage, and good insurance?  I'm just not buying it is as bad as it is, there seems to be lots of people perfectly happy with WM.  And again, if they're not happy, no one is keeping them there.  If WM is breaking a law or something, that's different...if these people just feel they're "worth more", that's totally different...they should look for another job.

If they hire someone who has no education, who wouldn't be qualified for other jobs (which they do regularly), and pay them above min wage WITH benefits, I think that's awesome.  WalMart has gotten a bad rep, mostly as a result of the union and these kinds of strikes/uprisings.  Back in the beginning of WM, I don't doubt that there were some legit complaints about low wages, etc, but everything I've seen indicates they have come a long way.

It just angers me seeing someone whine, saying WM "doesn't care about families" because they have to work part of the day on T-Giving.  HEY!  Time and a half baby!  That's just ridiculous.
OH....I'm not directly comparing the two, of course they don't "have" to stay open, but that's the norm anymore.  If you work in retail, you have to know that working some of these holidays is going to be necessary.  More than anything, it's ridiculous that they're acting shocked about it.

I personally think it's dumb to keep stores open on the holidays, but it is what it is...it's a big money maker day...which is good for the economy...companies would be fools to pass that profit up.
I'm pretty sure my mother in law would have rather been working at wal mart than yelling at her daughter in laws that they were messing up the dinner when they tried to help.  And I remember a time or two that I'd personally wish to be out of there too and off doing my job would have been a good excuse.  .  

I mean, there ARE some advantages to being away at work (like when it is time to do the dishes).  

I'm kidding but not.  There are some people that would have no problem working on the holiday rather than deal with the BS that some families turn it into.  (whew, I'm cheerful today, aren't I?)
I empathize for the single mother of three trying to make ends meet and who cannot get a second job because of the fluctuating hours she is expected to work. I will not be shopping Walmart this holiday season. They can afford to treat their people better imo and if we have any doubt, check out what the CEO's make. This is my personal stance, and the rest of you can do as you please, but yep, I will support the little guy! We have 4 Walmart's within a 20 mile radius where I live. I think they can afford to treat their people a little bit better. imo
I look at it this way. If not for all those worthless uneducated people they got working for them, they simply would not be as profitable as they are. Tells me it is the hard workers that make the money for the corporates, not the other way around.
Teko, they need each other.  No two ways about it.  Corporations need employees and employees need corporations.  And with Wal Mart---  you hear JUST as many good stories as bad.  

I ALWAYS sympathize with the single mother of three trying to make ends meet.  

I will not be shopping at Wal Mart as I'll be busy at Target.  

Okay, really . . .  I don't want to be anywhere near any type of store like this.  No thanks.  

One thing that strikes me though is that we lose jobs to other countries because of cheap labor (among other things).  And then Americans never ever want to pay 'more' for anything (except Teko who will support her mom and pop).  People wanting to work for more/feel entitled to more/ feel taken advantage of because they don't feel they are paid enough or given enough hours-----   but then most of this country clamoring for their cheap goods.  
Worthless?  Who said that?  I hope that wasn't in reference to my post.  I never said that, and certainly wasn't calling anyone worthless.

My point was...that people who wouldn't qualify for OTHER jobs based on lack of education, advanced age, etc...are often employeed by WM.  That's a GOOD thing.  There's a LOT of elderly people and people with disabilities working at my WM.

""More than half of Walmart’s one million hourly store associates have an hourly wage at least $10.00 or higher," he said. "In fact, in many metropolitan areas in which we operate, our entry level start rates regularly exceeds that of new hires for comparable positions under the UFCW contracts." "

That's better than most fast food restaraunts, gas stations, etc.

You certainly have the right to choose where to shop, but I find it sad that, due to these kinds of demonstrations, which are probably painting a picture that isn't entirely true....people make those decisions.  Like I said, seems to be an awful lot of satisfied employees out there too.  I think, due to this kind of media frenzy, and the union pushing its employees, they get a bad rep.

And then Americans never ever want to pay 'more' for anything

AND many of them don't want to actually have to WORK at their jobs.  There are construction jobs almost ALWAYS available, with good wages, but people don't want to have to "work".

My husband has an IMPOSSIBLE time finding good workers, who are willing to work, and he pays good wages.

Yes, that is part of the problem, they want the cheap stuff for sure. But what appears to be happening in this country for the last few years is the effort to bust unions so they can put their thumb on the little people and the rich can get richer and the poor get poorer. Doing away with unions makes it possible for an employer to pay whatever they want to pay someone. Now that might sound great, until its your job doing it. They are busting unions, doing away with pensions and offering less and less benefits. I think we are going in a backward motion and when its not just Walmart or Hostess, but more commonly everyone because the little people have lost their rights, that is when it becomes a problem.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  Now we see how it all comes about. The unions are being propaganda ised for a reason ya know. And its not good for the workers, only the corporate thiefs.
Let me just tell you that the word union makes me boil a little bit.  I never had anyone negotiating my pay.  Do you think the fire department and police unions help or hurt?  It just ends up that fewer people are employed because cities can't afford to meet the demands of the unions.  

Teacher's unions?  Hate them with a passion and believe they harm students.  

Anyway, in general, I think unions are part of what drove business out of this country.  
The unions don't help employees like you think they do.  If anything, in a lot of positions, people hit the salary ceiling BECAUSE of them.  In my line of work, union LPNs make a good deal less than non union LPNs, not including the union dues they pay.

Unions foster laziness, and the "rights" they most often fight for are ridiculous ones.  Unions hold BACK progress.  People are perfectly capable of negotiating their own salaries and benefits, and should be able to follow company rules without having tio have a union rep involved.  Supervisors cannot "manage" people in unions BECAUSE of the unions.  It becomes impossible, so they get away with murder at their job, they become untouchable.  That is NOT productive.
The little people have lost their rights....I may even agree with that, but guess who they lose their rights to???  The unions.

In this day and age, with the labor laws that are in effect, unions are not needed.  No one is forced to take a job with a lower wage than they need.  Unions take the power away from the people...let people handle their own affairs.

I have NO doubt that without the threat of the union, companies would be MUCH more willing to give a little.  When they're up against a union, they don't even bother.  Unions have too much power....and the very people they are supposed to protect, they hold back.
I disagree. Greed is what drove business out of this country, that along with still being able to get their tax breaks as long as they maintain an office here.

I dont know about you but my house payment does not go down, nor my utilities or gas just because my employer might decide his profits are way more important than the person making those profits. GREED! That is why businesses go overseas, that is why americans invest in business overseas, and that is why they want to bust the unions to keep more to themselves.

My mother worked for Keebler Company, origianally Streitmans for 36 years and thank god it was union. She made the same pay as her male counterpart for the same work and the same hours. Why did she work there for that long? Because it was an investment in that company and that company viewed her as an investment as well. She retired from there. Unions speak for the people and mediate between the worker and the employer. Most employers want to satisfy their workers and treat them fairly. At least they used to. Now they just want to bust the unions, not offer benefits much less retirement packages and we all sit back and say, ok that is ok. Unions came into being for a reason, something we seem to forget. Do we really want to go back to what it was like before? I don't!  I dont call that progress at all. If I could find a job that was union, I would take it over one that didn't.
And I would also like to say, back in the day, if you missed more than 3 days work in a year you were fired. Even with the unions. If you were hired by those standards they were enforced. How many people do you know today that miss less than 3 days worth of work a year? Used to be you didnt get off work because someone died in the family and you didn't get fmla either.Whats next, workers comp?
Unions came into being for a reason, something we seem to forget

Yes, during VERY different times when there were no fair labbor laws.  Back in the mining days, steel mill days, they were necessary, now, they're not.

The jobs I've worked at that have been union fostered laziness.  Sick days?  Oh yes, let's negotiate that.  12 a year sounds fair?  Naw...union didn't think so.  Me, a non-union management employee, I was bound to 6.  Fair enough to me.  THEN, when employees went OVET their 12 days, if we gave them a verbal or written warning...we had to answer to the union.  There was a loophole for everything.  "You didn't counsel her within 5 days" (meanwhile the employee had called off for 5 days).  It was a total joke.  The union got the employees out of everything.  They never seemed to have to follow the rules.  Like I said, it became not worth it to try to discipline people.

I would have staffing issues, where one unit would be short a nurse.  I couldn't just pull a nurse from another unit, oh no no no.  There were seniority lists, staffing lists, and protocols to follow.  By the time it would get figured out, half the shift was over, and the residents were 4 hrs late getting their meds.  Did the employees care?  The union?  NO!  They cared about following the rules.  It was disgusting.  I could go on for HOURS about it.

Unions have no place anymore, IMO.
That is your opinion and your welcome to it. I highly disagree. So we will leave it there. I got work in the am, ttyl
Yep....we'll leave it there.

Nighty night!
In my last job, I belonged to a union. I was denied advancement on the grounds that I'd taken the job, knew what it was and that's all it was.  No, when I took the job, I'd been lead to believe there was a chance for advancement, based on experience; I already had considerable experience, in the field and worked my tail off; nobody takes a job without expecting to advance if they do it well..... When I approached the union rep, I was told "there's nothing we can do"... yet they accepted my dues every 2 weeks.

My supervisor was a male and he's the one who worked hardest for me.  A co-worker (male) with senior status (not a supervisor or boss - just a co-worker who'd been there longer) sabotaged a lot of things I did, and/or took credit for them.  I didn't know it when I took the job, but I was doomed from day one........ all because I'm a woman....  can I prove it? No, but that's what it was....

The union rep saw what was happening on a daily basis and still said "we can't help you"......   I did the 6 years necessary to get my retirement benefit and got the h3ll out, even though I really loved the job and would have liked to stay on for an additional year or two.

I agree that unions have outlived their basic usefulness.  Their main purpose seems to be to get higher wages/benefits, which are not always warranted.   Well, no -- their main purpose is to collect the union dues, so somebody can get rich, even if it's not the employees they represent.
Unions came along due to abusive work conditions. I agree that many have become their own middle man monster.

When you see conditions in other countries, such as that place in China that makes apple computers, you can see very well why it's important that workers be able to group together and have their grievances heard without being fired.

That doesn't mean we should throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Perhaps the solution is not to do away with them, but to regroup or rather remember what they are really supposed to be there for, to represent the workers.

Dee1956 commented on timothy141's status
Dee1956 commented on DoxieMom04's status
omhome commented on TheMadMan's status