485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
War on women
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
38 members

War on women

Here is a real war on women, yet I hear nothing from the women's groups and Sandra Fluck.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/05/15675200-men-dont-have-to-worry-about-being-caught-sex-mobs-target-egypts-women?lite
Who we vote for and how those representatives treat women is a bit different than what happens in another country.

Just because something is worse across the sea doesn't excuse those jerks who were so horrible to Sandra.

Do you really not understand the difference ?
Or are you simply trying to be provocative again ?

Of course there are women's groups working  internationally to improve women's lives.
No one was horrible to Sandra.

Yeah I understand the difference between a made up war on women and a real war on women and the womens groups in America only sticking up for liberal women. They will not stick up for conservative women and will not talk about anything overseas. Should they not want same rights for all women no matter where they are? They are for WOMEN right? Oh no I am wrong, they are for women who are liberal.
You're right, you ARE  wrong.
I never believed that there was a war on women perpetuated by the Republican party. I say that loudly as a Republican woman.  
No one was horrible to Sandra? Really?  This is not even worth responding too. Egads
I don't think people were horrible to Sandra Fluke other than Rush Limbaugh.  Because Fluke has an issue with the far rights views on abortion and wants to be a big activist---  this does not make her a victem.  Rush said awful things but this is not the Republican party saying them.  

There isn't a Republican war on women and I'm getting tired of this being pushed along as if it were fact.  Being against abortion is not being against women.  
OK...There's no republican war on women...Let's drop it already!!!
ha ha, okay.  Thank you very much.  I'll move on now.  :>)  (oh, and I hate when I get riled up and mispell things like victim.  I'm a victim of bad spelling.)
Lol....I'm just tired of the back and forth. OBVIOUSLY we all have our opinions..No sense beating a horse that won't stay still...
Very true.  I try to ignore threads that are very similar to others but this one brought Sandra Fluke into it and felt I needed to just say a little something something.  But I will move on.  
Oh forgive me. I was under the understanding that Rush is the main mouthpiece for the republican party. They certainly did not call him out on his horrid treatment of her, instead they made a bust of the idiot. I wonder who paid for that? (thinking out loud)
There were people that treated Sandra horribly.  Individual people.  There are horrible people in life period.  There is no excusing the comments of some individuals.  It does not mean an entire party has declared war on women.  I may disagree with their official stance on what I feel are women's issues,  but that's my choice personally right?  When can we stop branding entire groups of people by the ignorance of some who claim affiliation.  Honestly, you would think that each party is like the Borg from Star Trek - all thinking as a single entity or something.  People are people, regardless of political affiliation.

This is getting old.  I for one am frustrated with reading that all Liberals are bleeding hearts with entitlist attitudes, and equally frustrated reading that all Republicans hate women.  Can we just quit it already?
Why on earth would they call out Rush on something?  That would mean he is somehow related to them.  He's an entertainment news host and nothing more.  And I sincerely doubt that if Romney were president that he'd meet with Limbaugh to go over his plans.  Limbaugh is not the mouthpiece for the Repubican party by any means.

I don't think he should have ever said what he said but i also don't agree with things Sandra Fluke wrote.  
Obviously we have our own perceptions of what did or didnt go on during that time. I am not defending Sandra other than to say, she had as much right to put her views across as Rush Baby.

With that said, its not worth delving into, its in the past, moving on to see how that street fight is progressing on the other thread! eeks
Well, I agree that she had as much right to put her views across and Rush probably did a good job of making them heard even more than they would have been had he not attacked her.  

I'm not sure I even want to look at other threads spiraling out of control.  I might just stay right here on a topic that we can agree to disagree on some parts and agree to agree on others.  :>)
rofl! I know! I think Im gonna disappear for awhile and come back when things calm a bit.  ttyl :D
Rush asked a question about Fluke and why she needed free birth control. And Republicans did come out against him for it. Personally when you have people on the left in the past saying they wished Bush was dead or killed I think what Rush said was mild in compairson.

Fluke made herself a public figure and you see in the media public people being called everything in the book. So don't cry for her, she knew what she was getting into. Just like everyone who wants to be in the public eye.

Make no mistake about it, I am not saying what Rush said was right, but as a public person he can say what he wants about someone and he lost sponcers from his show because of it. He did not suffer nor did she. She gained fame because of it and it has helped her cause.

But the point of this article is why is no one addressing the issue of womenin Egypt being raped by the dozens? Why is not 1 womans group talking about it?
Well, I can tell you that women's groups have been petitioning and fighting for ages over the lack of women's rights in many countries.  Afghanistan comes to mind - I know I have signed more then one petition and sat in on more then one conference.  There are so many countries where there are a total lack of human rights altogether, and often women are treated as the lesser class of person.  What is happening to women in Egypt is sickening - as what happened (and continues to happen) to women in Afghanistan, many parts of Africa and the list goes on and on.  The fact is that the free world cannot fight every country, and things will eventually change for women in those countries.  But sadly, all we can do is support them with our words.  They will have to win the war against oppression just as women in this part of the world did not so many years ago.

It wasn't all that long ago that a man had the right to beat his wife.  She was property after all.  Or that women couldn't vote, were discouraged to hold a job after marriage and were expected to supply sex to their husbands upon demand.  Rape was often considered the women's fault (why would you go out dressed like that?).  Did you know that in my country (I'm not sure about yours) a women can be questioned by the defense about her sexual history?  We women have come a very long way, and our sisters in other countries will too.  Women's groups do support them, and there are tonnes of conferences etc. addressing these issues.  But again, moral support is truly all that we can offer, and that is the reality.
I do think it's great you have taken an interest in this issue.  Here are some links for you. It's an important issue, and I commend you for talking about it.

http://www.feminist.com/violence/spot/

http://www.thecultureist.com/2012/08/24/the-world-war-on-women/

http://blog.amnestyusa.org/middle-east/speak-out-in-solidarity-with-egyptian-women/
omhome commented on TheMadMan's status
omhome safe return after a lot of ... Comment
Dee1956 commented on ActingBrandNew's status