Why Bob Dole should leave the Republican Party
http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/12/04/why-bob-dole-should-leave-the-republican-party/

Bob Dole is probably mad as hell right now. And he has every right to be. In fact, he should leave the Republican Party in protest!

Dole, a lifelong Republican politician who was disabled during World War II, made an extraordinary appearance on the Senate floor Tuesday as lawmakers prepared to vote on a United Nations treaty on the rights of the disabled.

Dole, now 89, frail and in a wheelchair (and just six days out of the hospital), hoped his presence would sway his party to approve the treaty, which is modeled after the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act that he pushed through Congress in 1990.

But his party, now controlled by the hard right, rejected it. With 38 Republicans casting “no” votes, the 61-38 vote fell five short of the two-thirds majority needed to ratify a treaty.
Terrible..They should've approved this.....
Oh my gosh.... I thought the poor man had passed away.  So sorry....
This treaty should've been an easy one for the republicans..I'm really surprised this didn't pass...SMH
This shows how extreme the majority of the Republican party has become.

Sad, very sad.
Why did they reject it? Im not familiar with the legislation but it does beg the question as to why ?
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/334605/un-treaty-rights-disabled-betsy-woodruff#
" The treaty was modeled on a U.S. law that is designed to ensure that people with disabilities have equal opportunities in employment as well as state and local government services.

I don't see this as a bad thing.

Ultra-conservatives associated with the Tea Party, including former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, had opposed the treaty saying it threatened U.S. sovereignty and parental rights.

How?

Santorum, who has a daughter with special needs, had argued that the treaty would effectively put the United States under international law and give the U.N. discretion over decisions about how special needs children are educated.

Hmmmm....

http://news.yahoo.com/republicans-block-u-n-treaty-protect-people-disabilities-215256577.html
The US should not have to follow international law, this just takes up closer to a one world government. No I am not some crazy nut who believes this is actually going to happen anytime soon or even my lifetime but could happen in the future.

But we as a nation have a right to decide how we do things within our boarders and should not alow the UN to dictate anything to us.

Now if this was a law that was not passed that was only a US law, then after reading it I might be upset, but this is not upsetting at all and I agree with it not passing. If the UN wants to do something let them do it, but it is not going to take any jursdiction over the US.
IDK...I think it boils down to the basis of the treaty, which is,

"The treaty was modeled on a U.S. law that is designed to ensure that people with disabilities have equal opportunities in employment as well as state and local government services."

I can see the opposing argument but based on the above, it just seems like a no brainier that it would pass...  
But why does the US have to do anything in this situation? The UN is a JOKE.
What Dole should do is seek reform, but I think he's too old to put the work in.
This almost sounds like his dying wish or something.  The issues surrounding those with disabilities are complex and you mention education.  Subject near and dear to my heart and honestly, I'd have to read this bill to see if I also thought it made sense.  I can't imagine that people wouldn't want to give this man in that condition what he wanted.  So, I can only say I reserve judgement without knowing what is in the bill.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Dee1956 Meegy 172 days!! Coincidenc... Comment
Dec 01
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
Nov 30
Derekcarter commented on Derealization and Dep...
Nov 30