485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Why Bob Dole should leave the Republican Party
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are determined to be argumentative, combative, or offensive. MedHelp has recently changed their Terms of Use; with the new format and other changes being made, this would be a good time to familiarize yourselves with the new TOU as well. You can access those via the following link: http://www.medhelp.org/legal/terms_of_use Name calling, ridicule and abusive language is not allowed (per MH Terms of Use); this includes the title of your thread. Any thread posted with derogatory name calling in the title will be deleted, no matter how informative your thread might be, unless it’s part of the published title of the article you’re posting…This type of abuse brings nothing constructive to the forum and serves only to instigate altercations. We are all adults and are expected to behave accordingly… Failure to comply with these rules will result in being deleted from the group membership list. You *must* post a link to your source or your thread will be deleted.

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
39 members

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/12/04/why-bob-dole-should-leave-the-republican-party/

Bob Dole is probably mad as hell right now. And he has every right to be. In fact, he should leave the Republican Party in protest!

Dole, a lifelong Republican politician who was disabled during World War II, made an extraordinary appearance on the Senate floor Tuesday as lawmakers prepared to vote on a United Nations treaty on the rights of the disabled.

Dole, now 89, frail and in a wheelchair (and just six days out of the hospital), hoped his presence would sway his party to approve the treaty, which is modeled after the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act that he pushed through Congress in 1990.

But his party, now controlled by the hard right, rejected it. With 38 Republicans casting “no” votes, the 61-38 vote fell five short of the two-thirds majority needed to ratify a treaty.
Terrible..They should've approved this.....
Oh my gosh.... I thought the poor man had passed away.  So sorry....
This treaty should've been an easy one for the republicans..I'm really surprised this didn't pass...SMH
This shows how extreme the majority of the Republican party has become.

Sad, very sad.
Why did they reject it? Im not familiar with the legislation but it does beg the question as to why ?
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/334605/un-treaty-rights-disabled-betsy-woodruff#
" The treaty was modeled on a U.S. law that is designed to ensure that people with disabilities have equal opportunities in employment as well as state and local government services.

I don't see this as a bad thing.

Ultra-conservatives associated with the Tea Party, including former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, had opposed the treaty saying it threatened U.S. sovereignty and parental rights.

How?

Santorum, who has a daughter with special needs, had argued that the treaty would effectively put the United States under international law and give the U.N. discretion over decisions about how special needs children are educated.

Hmmmm....

http://news.yahoo.com/republicans-block-u-n-treaty-protect-people-disabilities-215256577.html
The US should not have to follow international law, this just takes up closer to a one world government. No I am not some crazy nut who believes this is actually going to happen anytime soon or even my lifetime but could happen in the future.

But we as a nation have a right to decide how we do things within our boarders and should not alow the UN to dictate anything to us.

Now if this was a law that was not passed that was only a US law, then after reading it I might be upset, but this is not upsetting at all and I agree with it not passing. If the UN wants to do something let them do it, but it is not going to take any jursdiction over the US.
IDK...I think it boils down to the basis of the treaty, which is,

"The treaty was modeled on a U.S. law that is designed to ensure that people with disabilities have equal opportunities in employment as well as state and local government services."

I can see the opposing argument but based on the above, it just seems like a no brainier that it would pass...  
But why does the US have to do anything in this situation? The UN is a JOKE.
What Dole should do is seek reform, but I think he's too old to put the work in.
This almost sounds like his dying wish or something.  The issues surrounding those with disabilities are complex and you mention education.  Subject near and dear to my heart and honestly, I'd have to read this bill to see if I also thought it made sense.  I can't imagine that people wouldn't want to give this man in that condition what he wanted.  So, I can only say I reserve judgement without knowing what is in the bill.
specialmom commented on KTowne's status
Apr 27
Barb135 commented on opus88's status
Apr 26
Dee1956 commented on fntn's status
Apr 25