485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
Why I have issues with the left
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
35 members

Why I have issues with the left

This is why I have distain for a lot of people on the left.

CHRIS MATTHEWS: I am so proud of the country. To reelect this president and overcoming -- not because of the partisanship or even the policies. Here's an African-American guy with an unusual background -- part immigrant background, part African-American background -- with all this assault on him from day one. From Mitch McConnell, from the clowns out there that will never be elected, never will be to anything.

And the way he took it, as someone said, with coolness and charm and dignity and took it and took it and kept moving forward and doing his job. And the American people, and I know we look at these percentage, 40% of white vote. Fine. That's about right among Democrats in the last couple cycles, three cycles or four. Good work for them. Good work for him. A good day for America.

I'm so glad we had that storm last week because I think the storm was one of those things. No, politically I should say. Not in terms of hurting people. The storm brought in possibilities for good politics.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/11/07/chris_matthews_im_so_glad_we_had_that_storm_last_week.html
Very hopeful.
He's just expressing his own opinions..What's wrong with that? It's actually factual. Maybe he should have left the storm out but what he said is true!
The problem dear Vance, is not the right or the left but the unwillingness to try and get along and work things out.

I believe there are people of differing view points who do indeed want to try to work together and that is what we need to support,  rather than just to throw stones at the opposite sides, furthering only stagnation and fueling aggravation.

United we stand, divided we fall.
Idealistically, there are probably as many things I like as dislike on the left.  (Chris Matthews being one of the dislikes....)  Anyhow, what is echoing louder and louder around here is the ability to become flexible, try something knew.

We aren't even trying things to see if they'll work (for the most part).  We sit in stalemate, point fingers, place blame and all the while every issue goes unattended... like we'll eventually forget about them.

What we need is these people to step up and say, "here's the plan, and we're going to give it a go... if it doesn't work, we are already working on another plan."  

We just need to try something.... anything.....
MrsP your really missing a lot of what he is saying. he is saying he was elected because he was black and "cool". And then he says that the storm was good. Are you kidding me.
I heard a little (which is way too much) of Rush earlier and it was the same sour grapes I see here.
Your candidate of choice lost and trying to ameliorate the pain by digging up someone to rail against is, at best, unbecoming - in the truest sense of the word.
"MrsP your really missing a lot of what he is saying. he is saying he was elected because he was black and "cool""

No he was not!....I respectfully disagree...
You can disagree all you want but your wrong. I am using his own words.

Mike this has nothing about who won or lost, this is about some jerk saying that the hurricane was good.
You must be having a very bad day.
Because fatty said the hurricane was good? How am I having a bad day? By pointing out that some on the left is sick?
One person said this and another said that. Neither or either or none of them speak for the majority. Let it run off your back and hope for unity and dont give in to the division that people may cause just to get the attention of it all. In other words, don't take the bait! It IS after all, only one man.
When you have to resort to using words like "jerk" or "fatty", etc, it means you've probably run out of argument.

Don't you think it might have a lot to with perspective....... how each of us sees things in a different way?  
No Barb I have not run out of the argument but Cupcake Chris really upset me with his arrogant and heartless statement about the hurricane.

Prespective is seeing things different, but can't really see much different when we use his own words.
Not that it will make a huge difference with you or many others, but Chris came on and gave a very heartfelt apology yesterday and saying altho he had worked 9 hours in the election and was very tired, there was absolutely NO EXCUSE for what he said altho it was not what he was trying to say and he had the anger and the lashing coming.

I did not hear him say what he said when he said it, and am not taking up for him. It was wrong on so many levels I do agree, but felt it noteworthy to share that he did acknowledge his bad words and is apologising to all for it.

Did that help? No, I didnt think it would. lol
"I'm so glad we had that storm last week because I think the storm was one of those things. No, politically I should say. Not in terms of hurting people. The storm brought in possibilities for good politics."

I actually agree with that, 100%.  

The hurricane was an awful and horrible thing, but it DID help Obama politically.  The timing of the hurricane in this election was a huge thing, and analysts on both sides are in agreement of that.

Would Obama still have won without Sandy?  I think so, but Romney would have done better, maybe even enough to win.

I think Obama and other leaders did well in their handling of the disaster, but no doubt did it have a political impact, a pretty big one.  That's just factual, it doesn't mean that people are glad there was a devastating storm.

Just like Libya.  It was an awful tragedy, but in terms of politically, it helped Romney.  That's just the way it works.  People make observations during those kinds of things, and for those who may be on the fence, it can tip them one way or another.

I don't really take offense to that statement...minus the name calling.
Every time I see Chris Matthews I picture that guy I couldn't stand in grade school because he was so annoying.  

I don't think he is an example of the left as much as an example of someone really obnoxious.  

Disclaimer to my statement, the quote from him/link provided is not the only reason i say that about CM.  That has been my impression of him for a long time.  I'm not a fan of his.  But I don't like Limbaugh either who also makes me picture that obnoxious guy from grade school.  

To clarify too, I'm not saying that Obama needed a hurricane to win...or blaming Romney's loss on it...I'm simply saying it had a big impact.  That was evident in the poll numbers immediately after.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not making excuses for the outcome of the election...Obama won, fair and square.  The majority of the people spoke.
Yes, I don't particularly care for Matthews either...and I agree about Limbaugh. They're both kind of in the same kind of camp, IMO.

Although, this statement from Matthews was one of the more milder ones.
Yes, he can be WAY more obnoxious.

Thanks for that. :)
I feel good about the possibilities. There will always be the negativity on both side, we jst need to keep heart and stay rational We'll get through this.
May the force be with you. :)
Chris often makes stupid staments and he didn't phrase it correctly. But I don't know how the storm helped Obama. Responce has been horrible from FEMA but somehow Obama gets credit for a good job? Thank you media.
Well vance, you think highly enuff of the media when it comes to them saying FEMA is doing a lousy job? Cannot have it both ways my friend!

Obama would have won the election, storm or no storm, but I think the people were tickled to death to see Christy and the pres working hand in hand for the sake of the people.
Let's see how "tickled to death" the Left is, when Chris Christie (& Marco Rubio) appears on the ticket in 2016, to slaughter Hillary or Joe or whoever else the Left might decide to run!

I'm starting to look forward to the 2016 campaign & election already!!!

MickeyMouse, Dumbo, Popeye, Christie for President in 2016!!!!!
Nope, not even going there! LOL Nope, not taking the bait. Im basking in this one being over, period!
You think we might get through the next four years before you start up with another mess???

Maybe we could start talking about the issues both parties will be working together on. You know, hash it about, make it a freaking learning experience.
Why does that seem so hard?
No bait intended... it was meant in jest.

I'm SO glad this election cycle is over and done with, and we can all get back to discussing the REAL issues...

Benghazi
Illegal immigration
Healthcare reform
Welfare reform
Fiscal cliff
National debt
Fast & furious
Sandy
Unemployment rate
(in no particular order)
It helped him because, whether you agree or not, the media covered him handling things, including working with Christie.  People who maybe were on the fence were swayed by that...that gave them a last boost of confidence in Obama's ability to handle issues.

Also, Obama went out of his way to say that the election wasn't important at that moment...that the priority was helping Sandy victims.  Some say that was a political ploy, who knows.  But, point is...that resonated with a lot of people, especially with as nasty as this campaign got.

I heard Romney was getting a lot of criticism for not visiting the affected areas.  Now, that I don't get.  That isn't his place, or his job.  People were quick to criticize him for that, but you better believe, had he done that...people would have said he was stepping on toes, and being fake.  

So...the storm kind of hurt him in a way, even though I don't think the storm should have been relevant in assessing Romney at all...he simply is not in the position to do anything.

But, that's how it helped Obama...it was a LOT about timing too.  Had Sandy happened even a month or two ago, it has been stated that it wouldn't had as MUCH of an impact.
I like Christie.  Based on what I know so far and have seen of him, if I were American, he could probably get my vote.
Chris Christie???  Oh boy.  Hope we can find someone a bit better than that.  Yeesh.

Hillary 2016!!!!  ;0)

Illegal immigration
Healthcare reform
Welfare reform
Fiscal concerns
National debt
Unemployment rate
Totally acceptable topics, though my headache is increasing just reading it.
Hows about National debt?
I have a great link I will post in a minute that explains it very concisely and briefly. Watch it and lets discuss away.
I have had a change of heart with Christie too. He certainly turned me in a 180 for sure. I would have to give him a second look for sure! I am truly impressed.

We here in florida are still waiting for the votes to be counted. Is this not pathetic or what! First they cut early voting in half, then they didn't have enuff machines or enuff staff to handle the turnout on Tuesday. This all goes back to Rick Scott as far as Im concerned and we will be taking care of him soon enuff. He is refusing to be interviewed on the subject.
The last person voted at 1:30 in the morning early Wednesday, hours after the election had been called.

Yep, people are totally ticked off!
Really?  Curious, how come you don't like him?  He seems like a pretty stand up guy to me.  No?
And funny, I cannot stand Hilary.  Never could.  Not sure why exactly, just don't like her.

I think it's hilarious that someone left leaning prefers the guy on the right, and someone right leaning prefers the women on the left.....haha.  Kinda ironic don't you think?
Yeah, it is funny, adgal!

I dunno, I feel the same way about CC that you do about Hillary...just don't care for him.  I'll be honest, some of my reasons probably aren't fair or good ones...he's just appears so simple and garish to me.  He isn't "presidential" to me...I dunno.  i DO think he's a very "real" person in that he speaks his mind..lol.  He's taken a lot of heat for saying it like it is....he kind of goes against the "politician" grain, which is refreshing.

Hillary, I have a good deal of respect for her, simple because after the ordeal with Bill, she sought out a political position for herself, and has done a decent job.

Of course, I don't know that I'd actually vote for her, but I'd consider it depending on who was running against her.
Vance, you're a smart guy, Chris Matthews doesn't represent all democrats or liberals.  I'm sure there are plenty who are just as appalled by some of the stuff he says, as we were with the likes of the Murdoch remarks.  

I made a stink on other threads, when things like that (Murdoch) were posted...for people NOT to lump us in with him.  That upset me.  You've essentially done the same thing here.

Your opening comment says as much:

I don't think it's fair to judge an entire groop based on one man.  I don't like that on either side.

You make good arguments, but OH is right, when you just start ranting and name calling, you lose credibility, and people just start tuning out.  You have every right to your opinion....just remember that things work both ways.  

And, after a torturous campaign, I think we're all trying here.  You know I like ya, and we share a lot of the same ideas.  It's not the info that's the problem, it's the delivery.  Just sayin'.
"...I don't think it's fair to judge an entire groop based on one man..."

I'm with you on that, but I think you may want to talk to the Left'leaning CE-Forum members about that.

Remember whathisname, and the "legitimate rape" comment? After that, all of a sudden, ALL Republicans were rape advocates, and against abortion.

Not trying to pick a fight with the Left here, but it seems that when WE (the Right) "generalizes", we get jumped. When the Left does it, it's kind of okay and accepted.

I don't find the acceptability of the double-standard amusing, in the least.
That's why I said something, el...I didn't like it when it was done to us, and I spoke up, so it's only fair I do the same for them.  

Oh yes, I remember.  There were a lot of those kinds of articles being printed, and we were sort of on the defense with many of them.  Even if WE specifically weren't being pointed at, there were generalizations made.  I think it's silly either way.  You're always going to have the more extreme people...they don't represent the majority of people within that party.'

Like Donnie Trump...I would hate to ever be lumped in with the likes of THAT fool.  Money may equal power for some, but sure can't buy you a brain.  He's a perfect example.

I shouldn't speak for Vance, but I think the Romney loss is wearing on him perhaps a bit more than it is for some of us.  That's not an excuse, but I think it may be relevant.  Is that a fair assumption Vance?  I apologize for trying to speak on your behalf...but you definitely seem a bit more fired up than usual.

I think many on the right are fearful (heck, many on the left too)...EVERYONE knows that vulnerable feeling when your guy doesn't win.  Life goes on, but it leaves that pit in your tummy.  
Part of the problem in any society is that people can and do generalize.  And it's never ever good.  People are people are people and there are only 2 kinds....the good and the bad.  The rest isn't really relevant.  So simple really.

NG, I respect you for speaking up and being fair about it.  I don't like it either, regardless of who is saying it, or whether or not I agree.  We don't need to go there.
Thanks for your comment. You seem to understand the problem with lumping everyone together under a label.

As I've said before, there are extremists on both the left and right, there are caring thoughtful intelligent people on both the left and the right.
When we lump people together under a label we diminish our ability to see beyond the label.

Few people are black or white, they are varying shades of gray, or bits of black mixed with bits of black, and all kinds of colors thrown in as well:)
nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status
child24angel, Dee1956, and Proactive commented on child24angel's status
Jul 30
Dee1956, and child24angel commented on can-do-man's status
Jul 30