485?1255548736
Current Events . . . User Group
World's Choice For American President
About This Group:

This is a place where we can discuss current events - what happens around the world and is reported in the news. Healthy debates and discussions regarding issues we feel strongly about will be allowed; however, personal attacks will not be tolerated, nor will threads and/or comments that are argumentative, combative, or offensive. You *must* post a link to your source, or indicate if you heard it on TV, read a magazine/newspaper article, and indicate what radio/TV station, magazine/newspaper or your thread will be deleted. Remember, this is "Current Events", not "Current Arguments".

Founded by HelpinUtah on October 14, 2009
35 members

World's Choice For American President

http://uspolitics.einnews.com/pr_news/121894910/dear-america-the-rest-of-the-world-says-choose-obama

Interesting how most people in China would choose Romney....very interesting.  

I think Americans need to choose whom they feel is the best candidate.  
I saw something similar on facebook....it was another one of those silly joke posts being shared around.

Definitely a pretty even split, we'll see how it goes.

This is what I just posted on FB...I think it's appropriate here too...

I don't care who, what, where, how or when, just get out there and VOTE!!!
Yeah, right now Im only interested in how this country feels. LOL Im selfish.
I'm a little surprised the Chinese would vote for Mitt Womney in this erection, and not Bawack Obama.

Obama is MUCH easier to pwonounce than Womney!
LOL el....you're a hoot!!

I agree teko!!!!  (Wow.....we agree!  we agree!!!)
I can tell you here folks are more divided then they were last election.  Last election everyone you talked to wanted Obama.  I would still say the majority here are hoping he wins, but there is that matter of the gas pipeline, which a good many of us want to see.  From a social issue perspective though, Obama is the clear choice.
I find this hilarious. Think about it, how could one possibly do a realistic poll in China?  
Oh no, man.  I mean... everyone there is told what to say and when to say it so, it is realistic.  No its not, and it is hilarious.
We can't find an accurate poll for our own country, good luck finding one for the world.  LOL  

I'm much less interested in what a random person in another country thinks regarding who should be our next president verses my neighbors who are living with the choice made here today like I am.  :>)
That's the truth!  We can't find an accurate poll here...  With that said, I don't give a rats hind end what China or anyone else things of America or Americans.  All I want from this process is change!  I want things to start happening.

I don't think that is too much to ask of our elected officials.... if they can't handle that, officially make them leave office.
Well....I think eventually you will be concerned with how others in the world view America's president being that your president will be dealing with "foreign policies" that do affect America in all kinds of ways ESPECIALLY economically.  

Nothing wrong with being selfish I guess depending on what you are being selfish about.  

In regards to China....It's not all about if they can pronounce someone's name with a "perfect" American accent.....it's about being a TOP economic power for them.  

If you don't care about what other countries think, then you must not care about foreign policies which AFFECT Americans.  Guess you will care AFTER your "pocketbook" or "wallet" is being affected.  

To add.....America doesn't trade with itself; you trade with OTHER countries.  

Food for thought.  
As a traveler during the Bush years I felt people get angrier and angrier with America because of Bush's choices.Many of my fellow American travelers resorted to saying they were Canadian, even going so far as to wear a maple leaf pin.
I also was in Bangkok when Obama was elected. Everyone was elated but the world expected him to be superman~ not possible.

Too many people in this country have blinders on when it comes to the world outside our borders.
I actually care very much what the world thinks of us and our President.
There is a part of me that chuckles away and the many silly replies you got to your post, but seriously we are part of the world no better, no worse. It is time for international relations to be taken seriously and respectfully.
I cringed with embarrassment at the arrogance and stupidity of the Bush administration and was so delighted to have an intelligent and sensitive leader represent us when Obama was elected.
But, I live in a different place than my friends here, more open and diverse and I also traveled extensively as a citizen of the world so I think that has something to do with my attitude.
Okay now you all are going to yell at me about *my* arrogance-sorry I don't think I am better I really don't, I just have a different outlook than my dear rn friends. LOL
HA!! Great minds think alike,eh???
I have traveled abroad and while in Boy's Town, Nuevo Laredo I didn’t meet one person that could care less about Obama, Bush, Canadian, or American.
:-)
I think what SM meant (not to speak for her, but what I got out of her comments) was that the priority of the US President has to be the Americans and how this election impacts them, not that she doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks.  Am I right SM?  Domestic and Foreign issues are two very different things.

Yes, how the rest of the world perceives the US does have an impact on that country, no question.  But I can honestly say that I have commented on this forum for a few years now and I feel like my opinions have been treated respectfully.  By the majority anyway.
I wasn't really talking so much about sm's reply or Teko's-I get it..It is just that the guys are a bit rough around the edges so I wanted to let our French friend that there are many others who differ from that view.
Yes, you are very right adgal.  Exactly right.  Thank you and speak for me ANY TIME!  :>)  

I think Americans will vote for the vision that they like better as they live under the umbrella of our next presidents leadership.  And I think that perspective from the outside may be very different than if you are living here.  I would not presume that I have a right to say who I want for president in another country and think it should matter more than the majority of people in that nation if they pick someone else.  

Yes, domestic and foreign issues are two different things and America will remain strong no matter who is elected today.  
And my comments are not directed to Londres, I want to clarify.  We have a lot of problems pleasing everyone in our own country right now.  Man, if we try to take on the world we just might implode from the pressure.  LOL
I understand you all are worried about your "domestic" issues, but do you realize some of your "domestic" issues are the result of things happening outside America?  I mean, America is not isolated.  It has NOTHING to do with "pleasing" other countries.  The poll was totally "THEORECTICAL."  It is just to give YOU a view of how things look outside of America.  It wasn't intended to TELL Americans how to vote and that is ludicrous to think otherwise.  

Rivil and OH......do appreciate your insightful and candid posts.  It is VERY obvious you both get what I am saying and it does help when you have traveled abroad extensively and get that view I am taking about.

Totally respect SM and Adgal......I understand what you both are saying.  

Some of the comments were LESS than mind-provoking and more....hmmm.....let's just say they didn't require much thought nor much energy to type I suppose.  Those posters shall remain "nameless."  I don't stoop that low.....SORRY.  Calling those comments "silly" is being very polite as I had another word in mind.  

Was trying to bring a different view to CE......perhaps some aren't really interested into looking outside their boxes. Guess I thought CE should be more "thought provoking" and less.......well, less "other stuff."

BTW:  I HAVE lived in America a while back.  In fact I have traveled extensively.  

Thanks to those who were decent.  

My response was this:

Now I dont know about anyone else on here, but I for one am exhausted mentally and do not have the stamina to give deep thought processes to anything other than what is going on here and now, today.

Now that does not mean I dont care what others outside the US think of who is running the country. That goes without saying of course it does! But after 17 months of politics, negative ads, division within the country, I think most of us wants to stay on the lighter side right now because, we are mentally worn out.

My comment was not meant to make light of what is obviously an important point. Just not today, maybe tomorrow I will have the energy to delve into it more. So, dont take it personal.

I appreciate your efforts to bring a different angle here, and it deserves serious thought and attention. Im just too worn out to care right now! About anything actually!

I promise I will get into this more in coming days and in a more serious manner.
Your point is well taken and do appreciate the clarification.  I can see how someone could be drained in regards to these elections.  No problem.  

Thanks again Teko.  
I'm assuming I'm one of the "nameless".  If so, let me clarify, as I think my comments are being unfairly judged.

Honestly, there was something almost identical to this posted on FB that was a joke, hence my comments.  Of COURSE the opinions of the rest of the world are important, I said exactly that on another thread, yesterday, or the day before.  After I submit this, I'll find my post.

I agreed with teko's comments about "not worrying" about the input of other nations in regards to the direct outcome of this election, as in, who wins tonight.  Really, it was as simple as that.

I'm not so simple minded or shallow, to think the who we are viewed worldwide doesn't matter.

I’ll confess and not apologize for it. I Don’t Care what other the nations think about us or our President!
I like your forthrightness, Glass.
I feel a kind of connection with the world so I cannot really discount the other countries, but of course we are not about being popular with the world. We will carry on and hope to have a positive reciprocal relationship with our friends outside of this country.
Apology?   Who needs to apologize?  I NEVER asked anyone to apologize. This is an OPEN forum for opinions.  I guess I was just hoping I was going to get more 100% MIND-PROVOKING opinions......that would be nice.  

I do appreciate clarifications......no one ASKED for any apology.  Clarifications AREN'T apologizies in this sense, but I see not everyone really understands that and that's ok.  

Whoever gets it....... great.....whoever doesn't.....that's unfortunate.  

Moving on.....

"If you don't care about what other countries think, then you must not care about foreign policies which AFFECT Americans.  Guess you will care AFTER your "pocketbook" or "wallet" is being affected."

Our pocketbooks and wallets have already been affected; probably more than most of us care to admit, at this point.  

Of course, how other countries view us is important, but, as teko said, after all these months of campaigning, slinging mud and being downright hateful, at times, we're all tired.  

It's important for us to put our own country first and start reuniting our citizens, solving our own issues, then we can all tackle the world together.    
“MIND-PROVOKING opinions......that would be nice.”
You got what you asked for. You provoked me to think about it and the conclusion is “I Don’t Care.”
The world is free to think what they want. What matters to me is whether they are willing to cooperate with us to rebuild our economy. As America goes so goes the rest of the world.
As for the Chinese, of course they admire Romney. They are very results oriented and see nothing wrong with exploiting technicalities in the law to amass wealth. Plus, bonus - multiple children. He's living the dream.
desrt got it right.
The Chinese think highly of status and money, not good on human rights though, are they.

Happily Obama won.
"Was trying to bring a different view to CE......perhaps some aren't really interested into looking outside their boxes. Guess I thought CE should be more "thought provoking" and less.......well, less "other stuff."

I Welcome your different view. I think we need more of it here on CE. I'm willing to go outside of my box..Like you I also believe our problems are not just here domestically.......BTW welcome to CE Londres..
Oh well...
There are a lot of people that don't care for America, Americans, or our President.  I get that, and I'm okay with that.  

For the life of me, I don't know how many on the world front can take us seriously (unless we are major trade partners) when we are in the crisis we are in.  Recovering?  Maybe we are and maybe our reputation will be recovering as well.  

I just think we'd be taken far more seriously if we had all of our affairs in order.
While it's true there are those in the world that don't like the US, there are just as many or more who do like you.  And I don't think it's a matter of not taking you seriously.  

Think of that one person all of us have probably had in our lives as children that seemed sort of invincable.  That one person whom we all knew we could go to in times of trouble and they would help, or even fix it.  They seemed like they were almost larger then life and so strong nothing could hurt them.  Then remember how you felt the first time they got sick, or couldn't fix it, or you suddenly realized they were fallible and human.  It was a total shock right?

I think that is what your friends and allies see.  I think many of us are sort of in shock this has happened to what seemed to be the unbreakable.  And I don't think anyone knows what to do to help.

I often hear Americans say they have lost respect in the world.  I don't think that's true, I think it's just complete and total shock that this could happen to you.  Yes, your enemies are happy you are struggling, and will look for ways to exploit that - but they would have anyway.  Most of the world still respects the US, at least I think they do.
I also think it's an in the face reminder that if it could happen to you, it could happen to any of us.  

I do think many of your politicians have lost respect, but that has everything to do with the total partisianship you hear and see in the media about your gov't.  It has nothing to do with the people.
I do believe our politicians have lost respect for us, as people.  They've gotten to the point, at which they think THEY are infallible and that they will be voted back into office as many times as they choose to run.  In my opinion, that's one reason why they refuse to "read" the elections.  

I feel like I'm sounding like a broken record, but they are putting too much stock in who DID vote for them, and not nearly enough in who DIDN'T vote for them.  Someone said, in another thread that Obama "got it"....... I hope so.  While there are a  lot of people who like his programs, there are just as many who don't like them.  A good leader will be able to get people to compromise and come up with programs that please the majority, not just 50%........
And I see it as unrealistic expectations.  Going back to that one person that we thought was "invincible and could fix everything".... we know that doesn't happen in real life.  Where do you turn when your go to guy lets you down?  

(If your smart and have a pair, you look inward and realize that you have to take care of some things all by yourself and big brother is not always going to be there.)  

That's where I see America right now.  We're trying to pull ourselves up by the boot straps after taking a real butt whipping.  Everyone is looking at us going, "Wow, didn't see that happening".  But sure enough, it happened.

We can't help anyone until we make us healthy again.  It's pretty hard to take a tough guy seriously after he was issued a butt kicking, and you really have to wonder when the valedictorian gets a 500 on the SATS.

We are doing as many things wrong as we are right these days.  
Of course, it was a totally unrealistic expectation.  I fully agree.  That's why I used the analogy of a small child thinking that person in his or her life was infallable.  No one is, and neither is any country, but still, so many did believe that of the US.  I think they really truly did.  I think there is also fear as to what happens to the free world in general should the US fail.  It's time for other countries to step up to the plate and not count on the US to solve the worlds problems, know that I mean?
Dee1956, and child24angel commented on can-do-man's status
1 hr ago
Dee1956, child24angel, and Proactive commented on child24angel's status
1 hr ago
nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status