Cystic Fibrosis Community
Aquagenic Wrinkling of the Palms/Relation to Cystic Fibrosis

Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is an inherited disease that causes mucus to be thick and sticky which can clog the lungs, causing breathing problems and making it easy for bacteria to grow and cause lung infections or damage. Discuss topics including prevention methods, causes, symptoms and treatment options.

5034973?1257095343
Hey ladies.  So I have been researching this problem I have been having with the palms of my hands after they get wet.  Whether it's showering, washing dishes, washing my hands, the picture I have included is what happens to them seriously after a couple minutes in water, like two or three..  I was wondering if any of you know about aquagenic wrinkling of the palms and the correlation between that and CF.  I am to call my OBGYN on Tuesday and I am going to ask her if this is indeed what I have...but it makes me nervous that I could be carrying the CF gene especially when we are trying to get pregnant...
It looks like you are allergic to soap(s)...Does this happen witout soap?
yep.  When I show people (lol like it's a trick or something) I will just run water over my hands...
i did a lot of research on cf when i found out that i'm a carrier. This is supposedly a rare condition that can occur in CF carriers (you would know by now if you had CF). If you have been ttc a while and your OB knows you are ttc, chances are s/he has screened you for CF. If not, it's a simple blood test. When we found out I was a carrier, they tested DH. Since he is not a carrier, they had no concerns about the babies. I don't know whether or not they are carriers and will have to remeber to let them know when they're grown up to get tested.

i found a medhelp thread about it where people offer remedies- http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/puffy-palms/show/547153
thank you for the info! I know I don't have it obviously but it still scares me with these hands.  Did you have this problem with your hands?  Nothing has been diagnosed as I never thought it was an issue and we are just recently TTC so I will bring it up on Tuesday.  She never tested me or anything.
My step father has CF He was born with it and is now 45 years old which i believe hes the oldest. Does anyone in your family histpry have CF? Its a simple test. Its doesnt seem like a concern though, my mother gets that.
This thread is a few years old so I don't know if anyone will respond to this.  I too have this condition.  I have went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with aquagenic palmoplantar keratoderma. They gave me some Urea creme (X-Viate).  That doesn't help much.   I am about to try Drysol.

Did you ever find out any further information about your condition?