cystic fibrosis test for newborn
My friend just had her second baby and he seems healthy (eating well, gaining weight, etc) but the hospital did a cystic fibrosis screen 48 hours post birth and was found to be slightly elevated so they now have to do a "sweat" test and not even just repeat the first test. Does anyone know about this as my friend is hopeful this is a false positive but of course alarmed if it's real. We researched it and seems like 140 is really elevated, though some hospitals use 80 or 95 as cut off, and this baby was 96 soon after birth. He's scheduled for the sweat test next week. Any info is greatly appreciated! I didn't even know they do this testing as I'm pregnant too and due next week.
i am i cystic fibrosis carrier when i got pregnant with my daughter 4 years ago they didnt  do anything like that. now they test you while you are pregnant to see if you are a carrier or if you have it. i got sent to see a different doctor when i founded out that i had it. good thing though my bf did not have it in his blood so i have no worrys about our unborn child now. but my daughter 4 had to go see a doctor because she started having signs for it. i got sent to get a sweat test done for her while i was 4 months pregnant. the test is harmless its like a braclet being placed on the arm. it came back good, where she was just a carrier. tell your friend not to loose hope it could be that the child is a carrier for cystic fibrosis. i am not a doctor, this is just what i went threw..
your in my prays good luck. sorry if info wasnt to much help..
ksanden