DNA / Paternity Community
Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Viewing 601-657 comments:
I don't think there can be a 4-week difference in ultrasounds.  Your first post you implied that one said 22 weeks and one that said 26, but you corrected it in your next post.  By "cartilage" I assume you mean cerclage?  It sounds like you can have that now, right?  They would not be doing one if you were too late to have the procedure.

Regarding quitting your job in shame, the bosses there owe you at least for your pain and suffering.  Get yourself to a torts/ personal injury attorney and tell what happened.  Don't neglect to mention that they did or didn't give you access to counseling, that you're pregnant now, and that you are going through stress with thinking it might be from that event.  (Whether or not it is, your pain and suffering over the issue are legally significant when trying to put together a claim for medical and therapy.)  If your former employer has any kind of insurance at all, it should pay for your coverage for some counseling help.  If you don't have the money to go to an attorney, call your nearest law school and ask if they have any legal clinics where you can get some help.  I would say that you have a really strong case that the employer should have gotten you both medical care and psychological counseling until you were well.
I've had sexual intercourse with a girl on 8/30/2014 and didn't inform me that she was pregnant until Mid December for whatever reason. But I'm most confident that the date given above is the date that her and I had this specific sex session. But here's the kicker...... She taken a ultrasound on the date 1/12/15 and it said that she was 22w2d into the pregnancy and the numbers don't appear to be adding up to me. her projected due date is 5/15/15. My question is, is she trying to pull a fast one on me or not???? because I've been doing a bit of online research about conception dates and its showing that she conceived wayyyyy before our acquaintance. Please help.

Hi, soldierguy, did she ever have an ultrasound scan in her pregnancy before January 12?  An ultrasound in one's 22nd week can have up to a two week margin for error when used to compute the date of conception.
To the best of my knowledge........she didn't. for whatever reason that was her first ultrasound session and it throws me off so much finding out this late in the game than anything. I'm asking for complete honesty and recommendations from you group members if possible.
With the ultrasound being so late in the pregnancy, using it for dating (given the margin for error) she could have gotten pregnant pretty much from August 8 through the 5th of September. This does put you into the running, though you would possibly feel more sure if her date was about a week earlier, I assume?  Anyway, she might not have contacted you before because she thought the dad was someone else, and only just figured out recently that the dates (even with that wide range) don't make sense for anyone else.

Please keep in mind that when a doctor says someone is "22 weeks" pregnant, he means 20 weeks since conception.  The "weeks" count used by doctors begins on the first day of the woman's last period that she had before getting pregnant, not on the day of conception.

My suggestion, in order to feel a little more in control, is that you find out from the family court, in your local jurisdiction or hers, what labs they have certified to do DNA testing for paternity.  Then when you next are in touch with her, set up a date after the baby is born, possibly after the baby is a month or two old, to go to the lab and do your swab.  Having a concrete plan in place will help you stay calm while you wait for the baby to be born.  

I'm sorry this was a surprise, but in this day and age of available sex, a guy does sometimes have to take a DNA test.  It's the price one pays for what used to be called "getting some."  And for many guys (the ones the DNA test rules out), it's the only price.  Try to drum up a little compassion for the woman, she's not able to think that possibly the test will rule her out, and this means she is trying to work out the responsibility, logistics and the money for raising a child.  I assume it goes without saying that if this is your child, you will not be a scofflaw and a deadbeat.  You don't have to have a relationship with the mother, but you would have a moral obligation to a child of your own.
excuse me, you might feel a little more certain that it was you if her due date was about a week later [not earlier] I assume?
I truly appreciate your time and acknowledgement. Your recommendations and logic thinking are words that i take at heart. Just wanted some sort of perspectives and better understanding since I didn't know how the whole conception system works. You're indeed knowledgeable within this area of specific and would be a tremendous asset to any other. Thank you so much and will most def remember this post.

Will keep in touch web-pal
Please do keep in touch.  If there is any way to do so politely, you might suggest to her that any other possible candidates should also get tested.  But if that is not possible (to say this without giving offense), just be ready for you to get your DNA test with her and the baby.  Go to a certified lab, don't use a drugstore test.  She will probably want to see you do the swab (so you don't send your buddy in your place) and it is a good idea to have a neutral lab tech handling the swabs so no substitutions are suspected from her either.  But once it is done, it is done.  Call the family courts and find out who is certified for this kind of work.  (That is another reason not to use a drugstore test, I don't think they are certified, and if the test came up positive you would just have to test again for the courts.)

Good luck to you, and write back when you get the results.
my ultrasound states that im 9 weeks on feb 11 wen i went to the doctor. but my dd is sep 22 due to my last period is it posible i conceived when i had my period dec 16?
Hi, you didn't conceive when you had your period, you conceived around December 30. (I assume your due date was given to you by an ultrasound?)  Doctors begin the "gestational age" count on the first day of your last period.  If you asked your doc, "Does that mean I conceived on December 16?" he or she would say no, you were having your period.  In the old days before ultrasounds, doctors needed a place to begin the count, and the only marker they had was the first day of bleeding the last time the woman had a period prior to pregnancy.  Women who are regular in their cycles generally ovulate about two weeks after that point.  So, if an ultrasound shows a woman is, for example, 7 weeks pregnant, that would mean 5 weeks since conception, and your doc telling you on a given day that you are 9 weeks pregnant is saying you got pregnant about 7 weeks ago.
Hi Annie

I really need your advise. Im 27 weeks pregnant. i went for an ultrasound and the doctor determined that my due date is 21 May 2015. I had sex on the 3 August 2014 with someone and a few days after that with my boyfriend. I'm not sure on dates. I had my period some time after that too. Not sure of dates either. I'm not sure who the dad could be. Please help
Hi, 22cj, how early in the pregnancy was the ultrasound that gave you the due date?  It doesn't sound like you have a lot to worry about, but I'd like to know when the scan was that pinpointed your due date for the first time.
Hi Annie its 22cj. Sorry i forgot my log in details. I was 23 weeks pregnant when i had my ultrasound and thats when my doctor told me my due date will be 21 May 2015. I had my ultra sound done on 22 January 2015. Is my boyfriend the dad?
It is too bad that you didn't have an ultrasound until so far into the pregnancy, since for purposes of dating, really only early ultrasounds are entirely reliable.  But it still does not sound like the guy you had sex with August 3 (and before you had your period as well) is the likely dad.  
Hi Anne I'm confused. Is the other guy or my bf the dad?
It does not sound like the guy from August 3 is the likely dad, since you had a period after him.
Hi my name is brittany . i need you help.  I found out i was pregnant on december 10 2015. Went to the doctor they said I was 9 weeks and 5 days . I had sex with man A on december 6 he pulled out. On december 10 i got back with my ex. We had sex twice he came in me twice then we also had sex december 12 and he came in me then as well . they said our due date way september 4th. I need to make sure its Man b... i am 16 weeks now . i need help im freaking out
Hi, Brittany.   When did the doctor say you were 9 weeks and 5 days, was it on December 10?
I just want to ask if it is possible. A lady I had sex with on Jan. 30, 2015, did a scan today 02-04-2015, that she is 6weeks2days pregnant. Is it possible. I try to calculate i think it does not add up-

Adex
Hi, Adex, on April 2 she was told she was 6 weeks 2 days?  This is counted from the first day of the last period, or the calculated first day of the last period.  She would have conceived around February 26.  Not January 30.
Hi Annie,

I do hope you are able to assist. I had unprotected sex with my long term boyfriend on 17 January 2015. I believe he withdrew. Events occurred and we broke up. I stupidly had sex with an ex boyfriend on 14/15 February 2015 (it was very late). There was no sex between 17 Jan and 13 Feb. Protection was used but ex is now implying that he may have tampered with the protection. This was said as a passing comment in a later conversation and not as a direct admission. My LMP dates as far as I can tell were 2 Feb 2015 and again on 27 Feb 2015. I had a few marks on or around 25 March 2015 which I believe to be implantation bleeding, no real p came but I felt as if it was going to and so prepared only to find a few marks. Against the odds my boyfriend and I got back together at the end of Feb. I know we definitely had unprotected sex around 6 - 9 March 2015. However, I also have a vague memory that we may have had sex on or just before 26 Feb 2015 just before I came on but I cannot be 100% sure. I know for a fact that I did not have any intercourse after 14/15 Feb until 23 Feb 2015. The reconciliation with my boyfriend happened after 23 Feb. So anyway I have found out I am pregnant. I had an early scan on April 2nd 2015 which says that the GA is consistent with a 4-5 week pregnancy and they dated me at 4 weeks plus 6 days from my LMP. I explained the issue and they said they would not need to see me again as it's consistent with my last LMP dates. I believe my father is my boyfriend but I am of course worried due to suggestions of tampering with the protection. I am looking to have a private scan next at 7 weeks 0 days. However, in the meantime I would be really grateful for your opinion as to paternity. Thanks in advancePat
Hi, Pat, you've already done the best thing which is to discuss this with your doctors.  If you had a scan on April 2 and they dated you 4 weeks 6 days from your first day of your lmp, you have nothing to worry about from the hinted-at tampered-with protection on the 14-15 of February.  You would have conceived around two weeks later than your first day of your lmp  That conception date would be around March 12 or 13.  You would be at least a month further along if the sex on the 15 of February got you pregnant.  There is a big difference on an ultrasound between a fourth- or fifth-week embryo and an eighth- or ninth-week embryo, the doctors would not have confused the two.  Get tested for STDs from your ex and forget about it.
Thank you so much for your comments. I am going to go ahead with the 7 week 1 day scan just to finally put my mind at ease and then hopefully I can start to enjoy this pregnancy. It's my first. :)
Hi I am pregnant I thought my date of conception was 2/17/2015 but my sonogram says I am 10 week and 3 days. I did not have sex on 2/14/2015. I had sex on 2/11/15 with Guy A and i'm pretty sure he pulled out. I had sex with my kids father on 2/17 and with Guy A again on 2/20 which one could be my babys daddy and could the sono B wrong.

Hi Annie I have a question. So my due date by my dr is Oct 28th my ultra sounds read for my due date to be Oct 24 and or 26th. My dilemma is I had protected sex on the Jan 23rd with my ex I wasn't informed til after I became pregnant that the condom broke so he says well on the early morning of Jan 31 I had sex with a guy I had been talking to for a few months after leaving the bar we used no protection but took a plan b at 11 am Jan 31 and I waited for my period to arrive around Feb 13 I had my LMP on Jan 13. We are going to do DNA testing soon but its eating me alive do you have an idea of who's baby this could be??
When you did your earliest ultrasound, what week did they tell you that you were in (was it before your 9th week?) and which due date did they give you at that earliest ultrasound?  It would be most reliable for trying to determine a conception date.
my earliest ultrasound was MAR 9th I measured 6 wks and 5 days and  my ultrasound read due date of OCT 28th before the ultra sound they went by my LMP and told me I was supposed to be 8 wks that day so my dr was worried about the growth because it wasn't measuring up to my ultrasound meaning I was measuring smaller she scheduled another one for APRIL 1st at that ultrasound I measured 10 wks 2 days on one picture and 10 wks 4 days on another reading due dates of OCT 24 and 26th and baby was right on track with growth she said.
measuring up to my LMP I meant.
sorry still figuring this website out idk if I have to put your name for you to get a notification of my reply because I didn't put it on my last message
Sounds like the first guy was too early to be the dad.  The second guy would be a bit early as well, but not out of the range because of the long life of sperm in the woman's system.  Plan B has something like a 1 in 8 chance of failing to work, so having taken it is no guarantee.
Would you be able to repeat the question but putting in the estimated due date they gave you from the sono, and also saying when you had the sono that you are wondering if it could be wrong?  
well I haven't had sex since the Jan 31st so would you assume it being him rather than my ex being that my second ultra sound read due dates of Oct 24 and 26th?
Hi, gem, my question just above was directed to Kira1986.  this is what happens when many people use the same thread.  lol

Regarding your timing, I think the second guy is much more likely to be the dad.  If you need me to line it all up and explain it, I can.  
Okay my sonogram was taken on 414/15 and it said i was 10 weeks and 3 days. I was trying to see could the sono be wrong and whose would it be.
Okay my sonogram was taken on 4/14/15 and it said i was 10 weeks and 3 days. I was trying to see could the sonogram be wrong and whose would it be.  Guy A doesn't have kids and he didn't think he could. My kids Father didn't pull out and according to my period tracker my ovulation date was on Feb 18 and we had sex on the 16th or the 17th. Then with Guy A again on the 20th. According to what I think is my date of conception I would be 10 weeks and 1 day today. but the sonogram puts my date of conception on Feb 14 and  I did have sex on that day. Which one could it be. I need to know. I don't plan on keeping it if I cant figure this out
Hi, Kira,

Here is what I think you are saying, except that in one of your posts you said you did not have sex on the 14th and in the other you said you did have sex on the 14th.  I'll assume the second one and put it together like this:

had sex 2/11 with Guy A, pretty sure he pulled out (no condom?)
had sex [with _?_] on 2/14
sex with your kids' father 2/17
sex with Guy A again 2/20  

You ask, 'could the sono B wrong.'

You're right, your sonogram indicates the 14th as the day of conception, and if you could be certain of the sono's usefulness, Guy A would be most strongly in the running, since his sperm (I'm assuming unprotected sex here -- whether he pulled out is not unfortunately enough to prevent pregnancy) can live in your system 5-6 days after sex, and sex with your kids' dad would be too late to produce a pregnancy on the 14th.  

HOWEVER, your sono was too late in the pregnancy to guarantee pinpoint accuracy.  

By the time a woman is in her 12th week, because of variations from average in the growth rate of embryos, if using a sono to date conception, doctors will often name a margin for error of as wide as a week -- they will say, +/- 7 days.  At 10w3d, the margin is not that wide, but it is possible to have a +/- 3 or 4 day margin for error in your 10th week when using a sono to date conception.  

This would mean you might have conceived as early as the 10th or as late as the 18th.  This doesn't help you very much with your dilemma.

Also, if you had sex on the 14th with a guy who was not the one from the 11th,  either guy's sperm could have been the one that got you pregnant.  

Counting from your last period doesn't give enlightenment, because ovulation leads into the process and the period ends it, a period doesn't lead into a process and create ovulation.  In other words, a period will reliably come 14 or 15 days after ovulation if you aren't pregnant, but when the next ovulation will come can vary.  If your cycles are regular enough to set your watch by, like, every 28 days you get your next period, then you might be able to rely on that as a signal you ovulate at day 14, but otherwise it is not a useful sign.  Some women can go weeks and weeks between cycles, and it is because the body waits to ovulate until it feels like it, not because it ovulated two weeks after the last period and the period waited and waited.  Periods come pretty reliably two weeks after ovulation, if a woman is irregular in her cycles it's because her ovulation is whenever, not because her period is.

There are two labs that can do (very costly) work (a blood draw from the woman's arm and a swab from the man) to find out who the father is before the baby is born.  If you have $1,700 to $2,000 for this, you would be able to find out for sure.   (Unfortunately, most women aren't in the position to be able to do this.)  If you want to do it, pm me and I'll tell you about the two reliable labs and caution you about the bunch of them that are not reliable.

I understand you not planning to keep the baby if the wrong guy is the dad, and assume that since you already have children, you aren't wanting to have them watch you be pregnant and then put the baby up for adoption after a DNA test is done when the baby is born.  But I do want to put in a small plea from one who has struggled with infertility to carefully consider adoption before making a fast decision, especially since you would be ending the pregnancy without knowing for sure who the father is.  I am pro-choice, and know that people who think all kids are a blessing will make frustrating and pious speeches to women who are truly pretty much out of options, in terms of raising children they can't afford emotionally or financially.  I trust you know what you can handle.  But if there is any possibility that you could go through the pregnancy and put the baby up for adoption if the DNA test proved the wrong guy to be the dad, the waiting adoptive parents would remember you in their prayers the rest of their days.

Good luck, your decision is not an easy one because with the dates this close together, there can be no certain answer.
Unless, of course, you had a sonogram in your 6th or 7th week that you didn't mention.  If so, we might be able to figure out who is the likelier dad.
Hi Annie,
It's Pat again from my earlier post re: implied tampered condom. I had my other ultrasound yesterday and they dated me I was 7 weeks 2 days and said it was consistent with my LMP date of 27 Feb. The measurement was 11.4mm CRL. It also adds up with a scan I had on 2nd April which dated me at 4 weeks 6 days. But then I have discovered that the internet is not my friend, there's so many stories about ultrasounds (including early ones) being wrong by about 2 weeks etc!! I've also seen posts where people have said that they have had three scans and all dates were wrong! :( The other possible conception date would have been 14 Feb. In your experience do you think there is any way this pregnancy could have been conceived from the sex on 14 February?? I did explain the issue to the sonographer and she said the ultrasound could be off by a week either way. She did say she didn't think it was from Feb but none of them seem willing to say definitely not possible. I'm just really looking for reassurance that there is no way it could be from 14 Feb.
Thank you
You would be at least a month further along if the sex on the 15 of February got you pregnant.
hello Annie.am mark from kenya, my girlfriend is pregnant for 5M and 1W now.  My girlfriend and I are living away from each other due to school stuf. My girlfriend just confessed to me that she cheated on me with her ex boyfi sex a few weeks before I came to visit her back home. I was with her on the 10th of Nov 2014 to 15th Nov 2014 and made love all those days.  After I  was gone, again she had sex with her ex 1 week after i left for school.  I now want to  know whose baby is this.  when school closed and i was home for holidays she experienced blood discharge fro her vagina so I took her for  vaginal scan (because had a spot bleeding) tht was on the 24th March 2015 and as per the ultra sound scan it was 4 Months and 2weeks, the doc told us that we have to sub 1 week from the scanning date to get the date she will get the bby.  That said, am getting convinced that this might be my daughter but she claims its her ex ,am very worried and scared because she now wants to move in with her ex claiming she is doing the right thing by living me. she has even rejected the doctors date of concieving that was 21st Aug this yr..she claims she will be conceiving on 11th Aug n not 21st as per the scan results.Please help me on this.  I am really banking on your reply.
Hi, Mark.  Here is the problem.  Unless she had an ultrasound in her 7th or 8th week (and this means 7th or 8th from her first day of her last period, not from the presumed date of conception), it is really not very useful to try to figure out a conception date from an ultrasound scan.  All babies begin as one cell, and they split into 2 on the next day, and 4 on the next day after that, and so on at a relatively standard rate, but by the time week 8 or 9 comes around, some embryos will begin to grow or develop more quickly or more slowly than the average.  So by the time she is '4 months 2 weeks' (I assume this means 18 weeks) from her first day of her last period, the margin for error when using an ultrasound to try to figure out when conception was can be as much as a week or two either direction.  

In short, only a DNA test will tell you who the father is.  It is too late to tell from an ultrasound.

If she had an ultrasound in her 7th week, and if they told her a due date at that time which was computed only from the embryo's size and developmental markers, you could use it to try to make this kind of assessment.  But not one done in her 4th month.

I don't know the law in Kenya, but in the United States I believe it would be possible to see an attorney and force a DNA test for paternity, once the baby is born.  It might be worth you speaking to a lawyer to see if you have that right.
hi annie my name is Julie and I will be 10 weeks tomorrow (April 28th) My OBGYN determined that my due date is November 23rd, 2015. my problem is which it may not even be a problem BUT I had sex with Guy A on Feb. 1st and 5th and i am pretty sure he didnt come in me well then i had my period on Feb. 16th-20th and I had sex with Guy B on Feb. 19th, 20th, 26th and also the 2nd of March and Guy B did *** in me all 4 times.. which one is the father
How did your ob-gyn get to the due date of November 23, was it by an ultrasound?  If so, guy B is the dad.
He did a Transvagianl ultrsound on me when I was 5 weeks and thats the due date he gave me.. So Guy B?  
Well, you sure didn't get pregnant in early February.  If you only had sex with Guy A on February 1 and 5 and then not after that (and don't forget, it was well before your period, which did come), then he is not the dad.
Hi Annie,

I really need clarification. I've been working out my dates on the basis of the dating scan telling me i was 11wk1d pregnant on the 13.04.15 which I thought meant i conceived on 25.01.15. However reading this thread I'm now confused as to how the conception dates work. I'm not aware of the date of my lmp and I've had periods every month during the pregnancy resulting in me just finding out about my pregnant. The problem is i was with guy A on 21.01.15 and guy B on the 24-25.04.15 and then guy A on the 05.02.15. I thought counting back 11wks1d and landing on the 24th meant that it was Guy B's probably. However reading the above posts seems to suggest that its more than likely to be guy B correct? Or do our dating scans work differently in the UK?

Thank you for your help.
One thing that definitely works differently in Britain is the use of the month, day and year in numbers.  In the U.S., we use a month, day, year format, so for example, May 1 would be written 5-1-2015 (or 05-01-2015).  I hope I get the translations right.  If you want to be sure I understand you completely, write out the month so I won't mistake January 5 for May 1.  lol

I assume you are saying, you were told on April 13 that you were 11 weeks and 1 day pregnant, from information gleaned from the ultrasound scan of the embryo.  You're wondering if that means you got pregnant 11 weeks 1 day ago, or if that count begins on the (assumed) first day of your last period and not on the estimated ovulation date.

When a doctor, nurse, utrasound technician, or even medical textbook says x weeks x days "pregnant," they use the traditional medical way of counting out pregnancy, which begins on the first day of the woman's last period that she had before getting pregnant.  This is because historically that is the only big signal a doctor had to go on, not because anyone thinks you were pregnant on the first day of your period.  Ultrasounds have only come widely into use relatively recently as far as obstetrics is concerned.  Before that, the only thing a doc could do was ask a woman when she had her last period, and begin the clock there.  

This form of counting, confusing as it is for everyone, is how pregnancies are timed even today.  Two weeks after the period, the assumption goes, the woman would ovulate.  Obviously a lot of women are not on the dot with the two-week interval, but that is the traditional counting method (called the GA or gestational age).  If an ultrasound were to see a baby and identify it as a certain size, and the woman's cycles were irregular and she hadn't had a period in a long time, the ultrasound would just measure the embryo and say the baby was consistent in size with a baby whose mom's first day of her last period was on a certain date, two weeks before ovulation.

If you were told on April 13 that your GA was 11 weeks and 1 day, that was like being told that the ultrasound suggests you got pregnant 9 weeks and 1 day ago.  (Did they give you an estimated due date?  It is easier to understand and compute these things from the e.d.d. than from weeks and days.)  

Anyway, 9 weeks 1 day back from April 13 suggests you conceived around February 8.  The margin for error when using an eleventh-week ultrasound to try to determine conception is about +/- 6 days, in other words, the dating could be spot-on or it could be that divergent, due to the different growth rates of embryos.  So, your range for getting pregnant from this would be around February 2 through 14, and let's not forget that (if the sex was unprotected), you could have had sex with someone as early as January 26 or 27 and the sperm could (theoretically) still be alive in your system and viable from that sex and get you pregnant on February 2.

That doesn't stretch back to January 21.  It does (tentatively) rule in the second guy as a possibility (I am assuming that where you wrote "24-25.04.15" you meant January 24-25 and not April 24-25).  It also rules in the guy on February 5.  That is especially true if the sex was unprotected.

Did you have sex with anyone after February 5?  Is the baby a girl?

Did you ever get assurance from the 7 week scan? My dates and situation are very similar to yours. DD of Dec 3 based on Ultra Sound at 6 week 5 day. LMP (which wasn't really regular, and only spotted one day) put my due date at 11/27. Breakups, hoopups etc Im extremely stressed about my situation. If DD is correct and Conception is 3-7 and on Im in the clear!
Hi Annie,

So, this is my situation. I have 35-days cycle period, but im not too regular. My post-ovulation period has always been between 14-15 days; meaning that I ovulate not earlier than 18cd to 24cd. I was trying to conceive with my partner (GUY A) for years but he was diagnosed with low sperm count, so we were having infertility problems. Because of that, I am tracking my body every month, I am not using any contraceptive method, and taking fertility vits. This month was crazy because we were having a lot of issues with guy A, and I ended up by having sporadic affairs with my ex boyfriend (guy B). So those are the events:

April 15 (cd1). First day of my period
April 22 (cd8). Sex with B, quick penetration, he did not finish at all.
May 2 (cd18). Sex with A, he finished inside.
May 4-5 (cd 20-21). I was very wet, which is my symptom of ovulation
May 9-10 (cd 25-26). Sex with B, withdrawal method, again the penetration only lasted few seconds!

May 18 (cd 34) I found out I was pregnant on a HPT, the line popped out almost inmediatly (high HCG?).

May 22 (cd 38) Blood test positive.

May 23 (cd 39) The ultrasound found NO gestational sac yet. They said it may be too early. (what does it mean?)

I have to take another sono. I think the dad is A (I HOPE!), but I need reassurance otherwise I will get crazy. I don't want to carry a baby of my ex at all.

- I ruled out conception on the cd8, because in that case I think the sono would have detected a sac!
- I ruled out conception on the 25 or 26 coz I don't think the HTP would detect such strong and quick line only 9days after conception. Besides, even for me it sounds like a very late ovulation.

Does it make sense or am I delusional? some help please ! :(

Have you ever done temperature tests or directly tested with an ovulation test kit and found an exact correlation between being "very wet" and your LH surge?  Changes in cervical mucus come before ovulation, they don't only happen on the day you ovulate.

I agree that the sex on cycle day 8 is out.  You clearly don't ovulate early, and you would have seen a baby on the ultrasound on cycle day 39 if you conceived then.

You're saying it has got to be guy A's baby from sex on May 2, cycle day 18, assuming you ovulated on May 4 or 5, cycle day 20/21, even though you are sometimes irregular.  It's not implausible.  However, you and guy A have had trouble conceiving even though you have tried, and also, it does seem a little as though if you had conceived on cycle day 20/21, you would have seen something in the ultrasound on cycle day 39.  

You had unprotected sexual contact on May 9/10, which you rule out because it was cycle day 25/26 (i.e., too late if being wet was an accurate signal of actual ovulation).  Also because your partner did not release, and because you got a positive on cycle day 34 on a home test.  

Gotta say, your partner not releasing does not mean that much.  Sperm can hang around in the urethra a while and come out with pre-ejacuatory fluid.  I suppose by now, he would not be able to tell you if he had had an ejaculation in the hours before you and he had sex?  (Guys are not prone to want to volunteer that they a) had sex or b) masturbated before their date with the now-pregnant woman even if they could remember, which they usually can't.)   You also can't rule out the sex with guy B as producing the pregnancy based on a home test picking up a pregnancy nine days later.  It really depends on how concentrated your urine was, or how dehydrated you were.  Tests these days are pretty sensitive.  Just based on the information you have now, I would not rule out the sex on May 9/10 quite yet.

Can you do your next ultrasound the week after next at the latest?  I would tell them you are irregular and seem to ovulate late anyway, so you want them to base the estimated-due-date calculation on the size and developmental markers of the baby only, not on the first day of your lmp.  Then take home the estimated due date and put it into a conception calculator.

Write back when you get your next ultrasound.  They should be able to give you much more precise information then.
Hi annie

I met my girlfriend on the 16 of january while on a world trip. I stayed with her until the 7. of february and we had unprotected intercourse on the 21. of january.
We held a long distance relationship and she told me around the 15.2 that she was pregnant. I returned straight away.

now were both happy with the news and we want the baby to be ours, but she had another boyfriend until we met.
They had intercourse once on the 10.1 and he pulled out.

we visited the doctor on the 2.4 and he sugested the baby was 16weeks2days old. and a due date on the 15 of october.
this would point everything to previous bf beeing the father
her stomach looks so big as well (maybe my mind playing tricks on me)

but she had her period shortly after intercourse with her previous boyfriend.

everything seems to be alright if you look at it logicaly, but the doctor said he was certain but we were wondering if her period was justa implantation bleeding            

also i dont know about the chances of her getting pregnant with our first intercourse. it would seem more logical if the conception happened during the 3 weeks we were together the first time

were keeping the baby non the less we just really want this baby to be ours

Thanks Annie, I just ¨felt¨ I was ovulating but I know it doesnt say too much. I used to take my temperature daily but this month I just stopped doing it because it was stressing and anyway, things were so bad with my partner that the last thing I wanted was to search for a pregnancy. I did took once my temperature on 23cd (after wetting, being with guy A) and it was high as my luteal phase would be (according to my past 19 charts). I know it was only one day and of course I couldnt see any pattern, but I was at the time confident that I had ovulated. (big mistake?)

Can you tell me how long I should wait for the next ultrasound? I am now in 40cd.

Thank you so much for your time and help, my doctor has not been to helpful. She didnt give any importance to my terrible doubt. She only said: ¨well, you have to take care of yourself and the baby, who's the dad is not important now¨. But for me is terribly important. If my ex is the dad, I don't plan to continue with this pregnancy.

THanks!
I'd do another ultrasound between the 30th of May and about the 4th or 5th of June.
Hi, Paul, I think it is not unlikely for this to be your baby.  If you would like to copy your post and start a new question with it (in other words, click "ask a question") it would be less confusing to answer, as right now on this thread is Patty with a back-and-forth conversation that you have popped up in the middle of.  I will get back to you in any case.  MedHelp's system will notify you of any answers to you, but only if you start your own question -- as it stands now, the original poster who started this thread 600+ comments ago gets the notification.
alright sorry about that. i havent really used any forum or stuff like this ever
Viewing 601-657 comments: