DNA / Paternity Community
Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Viewing 801-920 comments:
it was a mistake i meant 27th of march to 6 april and one guy on 8 april Lmp 3march and ultrasound EDD 7december....and it was week 15 ultrasound bt i went thr on ultrasound before that 20th of april and said to early to measure bt the doctot then said 3weeks from conception  but he was just say from experience
I would think it is not the guy on April 8.  A 15th-week ultrasound is not a big help for pinpointing conception -- it could be off by a week or more -- but April 8 seems too late for conception.
i thought so too because guy A is 3 weeks away from LMP and guy B is 5weeks away from LMP....thank you Annie i wil go with that, most things point to him and if it was april i would give birth in January right???
If your estimated due date was computed at your 15th week, there would be a possible margin for error of +/- 10 days or so in the estimated due date.  You said the doctor told you that your EDD was December 7?  Then given the margin for error, you could give birth then, or in late November, or in mid December.
does that mean guy B could still be the father and i would still give birth in december not in january because i slept with him in april so my 9th month mark would be january??
I'm sorry, but I can't understand what you are asking exactly.  Are you asking if you have the baby in December, it would prove that the second guy is not the dad?  No.  Babies come early sometimes, or late sometimes.  Women can go into labor way before the baby is ready or way after, and it doesn't change when the baby began.  

Your due date is December 7 (admittedly, not a guaranteed date because you got it from a late ultrasound -- it could be as late as December 19 and still be within range from that ultrasound measurement).  But if it helps you calm your mind, the due date for sex on April 8 is December 30.
ok thank u annie this helped alot
Dear AnnieBrook I can see how helpful you are to other ladies on here so I hoped that you can advise me also.
I am struggling with my conception date well more worried than anything else. My lpm was 15th Feb. My 1st scan said edd 20th Nov and other 2 19th November - sounds good and the EDD never changed from 19th. Had intercourse on 21 or 22nd unprotected with my husband and then again on March 6th with someone else (with protection - no accidents reported, apologies for being so graphic: I examined myself and there was no remains of sperm inside me only the usual condom oily feel and odour - I assumed all is good and condom did its job) so (long story short, we separated with my hubbie after we had some problems) According to all the calculation including my lmp and US my conception should be around 26th Feb - 1st March so nowhere near 6th March  -I hope. And to mention I had MC last Sep so my cycles were little all over the shop but before pretty 28 days +/- couple days due to stress in work etc. Please help when was I likely to conceive. I really hope for some replies. Many many thanks Maria x P.S please be nice am already worried sick and really want my hubbie to be the father x
Hi, Maria, it sounds like your husband is the father, unless all of your ultrasounds were really far along in the pregnancy.  (If they were past your 20th week, the margin for error could be wide enough to reach to the guy March 6.)  But since you say your due date has not changed very much, it seems unlikely that the ultrasounds are too far off.
Hi Annie thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.
My US were done at 9+6 weeks, 13+6 weeks and 20+4 weeks. First one made my EDD 20th but the other 2 edd's 19th Nov. I know contraception is no 100% but since I have examined myself I can't see how I could become pregnant,  the guy from 6th March assured me that the protection didn't fail. Also according to my LMP am due on 22nd that would be still away from 6th March conception wouldn't it - only by day or so I know? Many thanks in advance Maria x
It sounds like you were already pregnant when you had sex with the other guy.
Hi Annie that's what I think/hope.
I take it then early scan are fairly accurate and considering my due date according to US did not change...my husband should be my baby's father - means whole world to me hence am so so worried. Again massive thank you Mx
Take care, Maria.  I would do a quite DNA test with the other guy when the baby is born, but it would be surprising if it comes up positive for him.  You'd do it just for certainty.
sorry, "quiet" not 'quite.'
Thanks Annie yeah I thought about that and the other guy is happy to go through with it, although he is very positive that my husband is the father. I know this is bit graphic and apologies for that, but would I not feel semen in me after the protection use if it broke or slipped etc? The other partner assured me that the condom was intact and there was no damage to it and as I mentioned I examined myself afterwards and was dry with no remains of sperm - sorry about this am just trying.
At the beginning of pregnancy I was so happy and so sure that my husband was the farther and after I started to read things a became paranoid - I think its possibly guilt? I really hope that when baby comes out it will look little bit like my husband - that's all am hoping for. Annie many thanks for helping me with this - its great to have little bit of support. Mx
Hi, Annie, you are so kind to help...My question is: I had sex with someone on 15 of March, 1st intercourse was protected, but after 20-30 min he put back in for less then 2 min. On 18, 21, 25 etc March i had multiplies intercourse with my husband  and he come inside me all of the times. On 20.04 i had an ultrasound who said that im 6 weeks and 1 days pregnant. Then i had another on 14 of May and he said that i am 9 weeks and 3 days., and that two ultrasound says my EDD is 14,12. So, how accurate is ultrasound in this time of pregnacy? I have an late ovulation (doctor said that) bc of my LMP is 22.02. Can i trust the ultrasound that i conceived after 20 of March ?
Im sry, i forgot to tell that the person from 15.03 didnt ejaculated at all second time
You probably didn't get pregnant from the sex on the 15th of March, as your ultrasounds indicate you conceived March 22 or 23.  However, it is a very close margin, since sperm can live in your system for 5 or (some research suggests) 6 days after sex, and if he put his penis back into your vagina after ejaculating and removing the condom, there was no protection from his sperm making contact with your vaginal secretions.  (Unless you also used a spermicide.)  It does not seem likely that the guy from the 15th was quite close enough to the conception date to be the dad.  However, just to be sure, I would do a DNA test when the baby is born, or earlier if you can afford the steep cost of prenatal DNA tests.  
Thank you for the answer...I think that if was any sperm left in his urethra , i kiled them bc when i come home I put a medicine that make a accid PH in the vagina, and on the newssheed was wrote  that "This medicine make a sperm die" Thanks again for your answer...
It is much less likely he is the father than that your husband is, for a number of reasons:  the date, the kind of activity, the spermicide (although it would not do the trick alone because you used it after you got home ... sperm are not slow swimmers) and because the larger amount of sex with your husband was also at a more likely time.  I suggest you doing the DNA test because the dates are close and the consequences are high if you get this wrong, not because your story suggests there is a strong question.  

AnnieBrooke - I had my midwife and am measuring spot on 34 weeks, all according to my scans. Someone told me that I should not go by my scan but LMP as that is more accurate - is this true? I doubt it, my scan was at 9w4d according to LMP but the scan lady moved it to 9w6d - I read that early scan are pretty reliable, is this true? Sorry to trouble you with this just trying to understand this better. Hope you can advise on this. Maria x
Hi, Maria, if you are trying to determine which of two guys is the dad and feel the difference between 9w4d and 9w6d is going to suggest one guy or the other, that is too close to be able to tell, even at 9 weeks.  But if you are just saying that because your period was at 9w4d when your first scan said 9w6d this means your first scan was pretty correct to your period, that is true.

In short, early scans (6 weeks and 7 weeks) can be spot on, and are the most trustworthy for trying to determine a conception date.  By your 12th week, a scan can be off by as much as 7 days (though it can continue to be correct, too) because some babies grow faster and some babies grow more slowly than average.  By the time you're at term, your scan can be as much as 3 weeks off if your baby is growing faster or slower than average.  But if your baby is adverage size, scans can stay correct throughout the whole pregnancy.

I would not use a 9th week scan to try to determine who is the father if the two candidates are only 2 days apart.
Hi Annie Brooke sorry am not sure what you mean. I had sex on 21 or 22nd Feb without protection with my husband and then on 6th March protected (condom that did not split etc) what I was saying was that my first scan was done they pushed it back by 2 days from 9w4d to 9w6d which pushed it away from they guy on 6th Marchbut that was not really my question. Perhaps you mistaken me with someone or new person on here? You said before that it looked like I was already pregnant when i had sex with the other guy and perhaps do i dna for certainty. If I got pregnant with the guy on 6th then I would assume the scan would be over a week forward.??? Sorry if I confused you. Maria x
Sorry AnnieBrooke meant to say that the scan and the featus would be yonger? When i did calculations my due date would be around 27-30th Nov if the father was person from March 6th?
Hi, Maria, no I didn't confuse you with anyone else.  I was just trying to decide why you thought it was significant to mention the difference between 9 weeks 4 days versus 9 weeks 6 days.  That is not very much of a difference.  

Yes, your due date would be later if you had gotten pregnant with the other guy.
Annie am sorry to confuse things, my mistake. Just to clarify where am coming from. So when I found out I was expecting I figured out by my lmp that am 9w4d. I decided to have early scan and they confirmed that I was 9w6d. Me having intercourse with 2 men one unprotected one protected - and there is a 13 gap between them two. I know each woman ovulates on different days in cycle. I figured if I gotten pregnant with the man on 6th March I would due on around 27th Nov. - this is according to all calcullations etc. Thank you so much for you replies, I appreciate it greatly. maria xx
Hi annie I slept with a guy using protection on the  3rd of may and slept with my husband on the 9th of may with the first guy I used protection but with my husband I used a pull out method who is most likely to be my baby daddy as my Edd is 3rd Feb 2015...please help I'm worried

It depends on how accurate your estimated due date is.  Did you have an ultrasound?  If so, was it in your 6th or 7th week?  (And from it, you were given this estimated due date?)
Sorry Annie I have just noticed that you mentioned that most accurate scans are from 6th-7th week. Well year ago I had a MC and they could not see anything at 6th week and on 7th week they only found a sack so surely this can not be most accurate? I have just checked on NHS site and other sites and they suggest that most accurate scan are between 9-13 weeks. Annie can you do an overall of my situation please? In my previous post I said that intercourse I had were 13 days apart. You did sort of confirm that if I gotten pregnant with the guy on 6th March my due date would be later i.e 27-30th November. Again many thanks for your responses and advise, it has been really helpful. Maria xx
Hi, Maria, I can't do an "overall" of your situation because your posts are too intertwined with other people's -- MedHelp's software is not good enough to allow me to wind through several people's posts and pick out only one person's.  The way to get your story in one place is to post your own question rather than add it to the end of a long thread begun by someone else.  If you would like to start your own thread, you could recap the information and highlight what part of it concerns you, then it would be easier.  That said, it might not be worth your trouble, since I already agree that it sounds like your husband is the father.

Regarding when ultrasounds are most accurate, it depends on what the ultrasound is looking for and how accurate the woman's assessment is of how many weeks along she is.  Later ultrasounds are very useful for other things that it's too early to see in the early weeks.  But for the purposes of dating pregnancy, the sweet spot is after the beginning of the 6th week and up until about the beginning of the 8th week.  They are not useful in the 4th or 5th week, the 4th because it is too early to see the embryo, and the 5th because a lot of times the woman has not ovulated when she thinks she did, and the baby is not showing up because it's too early to see it (in other words, what she thinks is her fifth week is actually her fourth).  For determining a conception date, up to the end of the 5th week I don't see them as reliable.  Then I do see them as very reliable from about the middle of the 6th week up until the middle of the 8th week.  They are less useful for dating the further along they go; I'm never too happy when someone says they had an "early" ultrasound and it turns out to have been in her tenth week, for example.  Some doctors tell women by week 12 that they could have a margin for error of +/- 7 days already, and it doesn't just go from week 11 - margin for error 0, week 12 - margin for error, 7 days.  It would gradually increase.

However, you have said your ultrasounds have been measuring in a consistent manner, so it sounds like you have little likelihood of your baby growing faster or slower than average and throwing off the ultrasound measurements.  As I said originally when you posted your dates and all, it does sound like your husband is the father.
Hi Annie, I completely understand. Am sure you have loads of ladies asking for your help so I will take this opportunity and say many thanks for your replies and your kind advise. Am positive that my husband is the dad. Feels like massive weight of my shoulders! All the best Mx
Ultrasounds carried out between 8 and 11 are the most accurate for determaing conception scans at 6 or 7 weeks is too early that's why they call ur 12 week scan a dating scan they have a margin for error of 3-5 days when done between 8 and 11 weeks hope this helpa
Hi, Febbaby272, ultrasounds carried out in the 6th or 7th week are the most accurate for determining conception, if they are not in error in terms of timing (which can happen if the woman got the ultrasound too early thinking that she was in her sixth or seventh week when she was not).  By the 12th week, almost all doctors will caution the woman that there is a margin for error of +/- 7 days.  I have heard plenty of women say "I got my dating scan" but I think this phrase is more women's chatroom lore than a medical way of describing an ultrasound.  I have never heard a doctor call an ultrasound a dating scan, and every report on this community says their doctor told them there is a week's margin for error (some conservative doctors even say there is two weeks) at 12 weeks.  This suggests that even by week 10 or 11, if a baby is growing more rapidly or slowly than average, the ultrasound is not going to be on-the-dot for accuracy.

A doctor might logically ask a woman to come in later rather than earlier for an ultrasound if the woman has irregular cycles, because the doctor doesn't want to waste time on a scan that's too early.  (An ultrasound in the 4th week can't see the embryo, and an ultrasound in the 5th week is iffy for that purpose.)  But a doctor not wanting to do an ultrasound until weeks 8 - 11 is not doing this because ultrasounds in weeks 8 - 11 are most accurate, it's because the doc doesn't want to go to the trouble of doing an ultrasound as soon as the woman gets a positive on a test, only to find that it's too early to see the embryo on the screen.  By week 8 he can be sure to see something even if they woman has missed her guess about when she got pregnant.
I started ovulating  October  22nd 29th 2015 i had sex October  25th 27th now i am pregnant  i did a blood  test  the doctor  gave me an estimated conceive/ conception date which was  on or around November 6th and my estimated  due date  is or around August 1,2016 could that be right. Could  both be right
Hi, Whitt, what does the first sentence mean, do you mean you had a period October 22-29?
Febbaby272 thanks for this I thought that too. If my scan at 9w6d said my due date is 20th November do you think that this is pretty accurate? My 2 other scans pushed it even further back to due date 19th Nov. My lmp was 15th Feb. I had unprotected IC on 21st or 22nd (can't remember) and then on 6th March with protection.Thanks so much Maria x
I had my period  oct 7th
I start  ovulating  oct 22nd-28th
I had sex oct  25th-27th
The doctor  gave my a blood  test  and i am pregnant
The doctor  gave me a conception/ conceived date of November  6,2015 and a due  date August 1,2016.
Could  the conception  and due date be right.
We have not done  a ultrasound yet until my 2nd appointment.
I just dont understand  about this  conception and this due date.
Because  i came up with something  different  like  my due  date july 29,2016

Can you help
Hi, whitt, it's hard to say what the doctor was basing things on if you have not had an ultrasound.  From your first day of your last period just by itself, you would be due on July 13.  Did you have sex with anyone before October 25?

All you can do is ask your doctor why he thinks you conceived a whole month after your last period began.  Usually in the absence of an ultrasound, the doctor would think you conceived a couple of weeks after your period began.  I also don't understand what you mean by "I start ovulating October 22-29."  Ovulation is a single event that takes about two minutes, it doesn't last a whole week.
No i only had sex October  25th 26 and 27th.
My period  came on October  7 2015 my period  last 5 days maybe 6 days.
I started ovulating October 22nd-28th how i know i was ovulating  because  i set up a ovulation  calendar on my phone and I took an ovulation test Starting  the 22nd through the  28th of October.
My next period  is due November 10,2015 but it did not come on  i found out i was pregnant  before 3days  before  November  10,2015.
In September  i did not have sex with no one.

What the ovulation test kits measure is the hormone surge that comes before ovulation.  You saw the increase beginning on October 22?  Or was your hormone already high when you took the first test on October 22?  And is the problem that you had sex with someone different on one of the days you mentioned (October 25, 26 or 27)?
Hey I have a question I had my period Jan 13 2015 untill Jan 17 2015 and on Feb 18th I found out I was pregnant they gave me the due date Oct 24th and possible conception dates of Jan 26 untill like Jan31st I want to know if this is acutrate because I slept with someone Jan 10th 2015 then I traveled out of the country Jan 13 untill Feb 2nd and during that time I had a different sexual partner I'm just wanting to clear some douts even tho I left with my period the person I slept with before I left feels like the baby could be his which I am hoping isn't help please
Hey Guys

Question please - i had a negative preg test on 2 october. Positive preg test on 14 october stating 2-3 weeks from conception (new tests that shows how far along). Another positive pregnancy test on 18 October again showing 2-3 weeks from conception. Scan on 29 October measuring 6 wks and 1 day. When did i conceive? Is there any chance i conceived in August? I had AF on 3,4 and 5 Aug and again on 23 and 24 august. I am irregular, all over the show! Thanks in advance, really want a definite answer on this.
April 12th I almost but did not have sex with guy A he went in and out and that was it , had a period April 28th but it only lasted 3 days and was very light , may 3rd , may 8th may 13th and 16th I had unprotected sex with guy B , I missed my period for May and on June 1st I had a positive pregnancy test , around June 13th I had an ultrasound but it was too small for measurements , July 30th my ultrasound but me at about 13 weeks , with a due date of feb 4th by my 20 week scan they changed my due date to feb 7th, is there any way guy A can be the dad ? Please tell me I'm just panicking for no reason !
Hi, Izzy, it sounds like the first guy is not likely to be the father.  When was your earliest ultrasound, and what due date did they give you back then?  I assume you are going to do a DNA test?
Hi, nzer, if you had a scan on October 29 that gave you a 6 weeks 1 day GA (gestational age) count, it indicates you conceived on around September 17.
Hi, Pinktutu, no it does not sound like Guy A is the father.  He's about a month too early.
Hello; I wanted to know if you could possibly help me.
I am very lost and to be quite honest an absolute mess.
I feel very guilty and disgusted with myself and that my actions have put me in this situation.
I am a married women with a child. Actually happily married.
I made a HORRIBLE choice and slept with a close friend. I recently discovered I am pregnant and LOOSING my mind cause I'm not sure by whom.  Please give me your advice.  NO ONE KNOWS about this except the man I slept with.

My First day of my Period was 10/16/15  - I have an exact 26 day cycle

I had intercourse with my husband 10/24/15 (sorry for graphic he came inside me)
10/26/15 with my husband- pulled out but kinda a bit late I think and according to him too.

10/29/15 intercourse with my friend (no protection) he did pull out and he says is sure nothing came inside me (but its not like that 100% and I know that) he says he is sure though.

I started to get nervous and went and got a PLAN B and took that on 10/31/15.

11/3/15 intercourse with my husband (pullout)
11/4/15 intercourse with my husband (no pullout)

I am going to a clinic this week to get the "abortion pill" ONLY cause I fear it is not my husbands and I can NOT go through with this if it is not his.
If it is my husbands I would not go through with getting the pill - cause honestly I do want another child.

please let me know what you think - many thanks
I messed up ...I know this.  I am so ridden with guilt.
Thank you , is there any way possible the ultrasound can be off ? And guy A can be the dad, or is it 100% guy B?
I assume you know for sure that you are pregnant?

Especially if your periods are like clockwork -- seriously not kidding and no wishful thinking, they always come every 26 days no variation ever -- you are most likely to be pregnant by your husband.  But the margin is very slim.  I would not rush to abortion if you can find out anything more certain, and you can find things out in a couple of ways.  

I assume you think you're about 4 weeks 3 days pregnant (counting from the first day of your last period)?   Here is what someone would do ideally in this situation:

Get a vaginal ultrasound in your mid-6th week or early 7th week (counting from the first day of your last period)..  When signing in at the doctor's office on the day of the appointment, say you're not sure when your last period was, so that date won't influence their estimate of your due date or the pregnancy's gestational age.

When you get the ultrasound, be sure they give you an estimated due date from it.  You really want that e.d.d., (or at the very least, an exact weeks and days figure.  Keeping in mind that a weeks and days figure from an ultrasound will begin the count on an assumed date of your last period, but the allowance they add is two weeks, which doesn't make sense for someone with a 26-day cycle.  Just another reason not to say a period date.)  Try to get the estimated due date from the ultrasound.

When you get home with the e.d.d., use an online conception calculator or just count 266 days back from it, on a calendar.  That will give you an estimated conception date.  If you are lucky, it will indicate pretty clearly that the conception must have been earlier than the 29th.

The ultrasound might be a cost or a hassle to get, but now is the time, since if you can get an accurate idea from it at least you won't have to live with the worry that you made the wrong decision about an abortion.  Don't get the ultrasound too late.  They are most accurate in the early days as long as it is not too early to see the embryo.  By your 6th week (from first day of last period) the embryo is visible and by your 12th week many docs will say the margin for error is 7 days.  Your margin for error between the guys is much smaller than that, so even a 10th-week utrasound won't help you to try to decide what is going on.

My calculation is that if you really truly have periods on a 26-day cycle always, you would ovulate around day 12 of your cycle.  That would be October 28.  Your husband's sperm from the 24th and from the 26th would still be alive in your reproductive tract then.  This favors your husband.  Unfortunately your egg can live 24 - 36 hours in your system, meaning that possibly the October 29 activity (if some sperm was present, which it is not always in the pre-ejaculate) might have produced the child.  But of course, the chances of your husband being the dad are greater..  

Since the activity was so recent, would your fling be able to remember if he had recently ejaculated (within the past many hours) prior to having sex with you?   If not, or if he had peed several times since ejaculating, in theory his urethra would not have contained any errant sperms waiting to hitch a ride in his pre-ejaculatory fluid.  In short, it would strengthen the possibility that the baby is from your husband.  But he has to be able to answer this question accurately, no wishful thinking and no revisionist hopeful answers.

If this is just too close to call, one other option is to get a prenatal DNA test.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can get them this early.  It would be worth checking with Ravgen or the DDC to find out, but I think it has to be after your 12th week or more.  But check on this before you take my word for it.  

The downsides of doing a prenatal DNA test for paternity are that the best (the only reliable) labs are quite costly, and also waiting would require you to keep the secret that you are pregnant from your husband for a while, or else to pretend to him that you had a miscarriage if you have found out the baby was from the other guy and had an abortion.  That's a lot of lying.

Are you SURE you want to keep this a secret from him?  I know right now it seems like it will end your life if you tell, but what a mess if you try to hide it.  A guy might possibly understand "I had an unplanned moment/ I was drunk/ I was lonely/ it was crazy/ it was wrong/ I can't believe it happened/ I am so remorseful/ it will never happen again," because that is what a guy would say in a similar situation.  And there is the argument that he deserves to know the state of his happy marriage.  (Unless you have vowed to heaven that as a way to atone for your silence, you will make him the happiest married man in the universe forever from now on.  Then perhaps you can justify remaining silent about what prompted that vow.)  

But secrets like this have a way of coming out, unfortunately.  The guy tells his buddy or his wife, later on, or you let something slip or there is a charge on your credit card or a letter, and your husband figures it out.  And the later he finds out, by far the worse it is.  It would be much harder for him to understand "I didn't tell you and kept not telling you for all this time, and went through all of this and got an abortion, all to hide my mistake from you" then it would be for him to understand an impulsive sexual moment.  Unless, of course, it wasn't actually that impulsive and you had put yourself in a position to flirt with this guy and be craving him and like that.  Then it would seem more material to the state of your marriage, and that he has the right to know that your marriage is not as happy as both of you would like to think.

If you just can't stand any of this and don't have the money for a prenatal test (and you're friend won't pay for it) and don't want to wait, it is certainly true that getting an abortion in your fourth week is not complicated and doesn't impact your future fertility.. I don't know anything about "the abortion pill," not how they work or even if they work, but assume that part of the appeal of a pill to you is that it seems simple.  Talk to the clinic about what it entails and how well it works, you don't want to end up in more of a mess.than you are now.

I'm sorry, please write back with what you do and what you find out if you go the ultrasound route.
The above long post is to GHP.
If you had an ultrasound on June 13 and the baby was too small for measurements, it would not have been from sex on April 12.  It would have appeared clearly on the ultrasound on June 13 if so.
So it's impossible right ! ?
Hi, Pink, from everything you say, if you had gotten pregnant on April 12 and then had an ultrasound on June 13, you would have been told you were 11 weeks gestational age at that time, June 13.  But you weren't.  A doctor can tell the difference between "too small to see" and an eleventh-week embryo, they would not mix up the two.  
Thank you , I just want to be 100% sure the dad is guy B I can be sure right !?
Avatar n tn
I am wondering when I could of conceived if my due date is on May 27,2016?

Within a range of a week before to a week after September 4.  How did you get your due date?  If it was from an early ultrasound, the date could be closer to September 4, but if it was just counted from the first day of your last period, there can be some margin for error.
I found out a couple months ago that a girl I slept with in May is pregnant.  Currently about 7.5 months.  I was a little scared when I found out the news and confronted her.  She is admitted to me that she had sex one time with her long time boyfriend on 5/16/15.  We had sex on 10 separate occasions in May and often more than one time per occasion.times, these days are  4,11,18,19,20,24,26,27,29,30.  She told me her doctor gave her an US based EDD of 2/11/16 and she also said her doctor told her the conception was on the 15, 16, or 17.  This just isn't adding up.  She has lied to me on multiple occasions.  I feel the EDD is the date the doctor told me, but I am unsure about the rest, including only once with the other guy who she is engaged to now.  I can't go any longer thinking this kid may be mine despite her saying she is absolutely certain its not.  I don't think its mine as we had unprotected sex for the previous 4 months and didn't get pregnant.  I did a sperm count test and Im normal as far as numbers. Regardless, I feel that there is a chance I am the father and just want to know so I can do what I need to do as well as prepare my life.
Hi, sadyear, if she has lied to you on multiple occasions, I can uderstand you thinking she is lying now, either about how many times (or when) she had sex with the other guy, or about what the doctor said in terms of conception date.  I don't suppose that you know how early in the pregnancy her ultrasound was that gave her the estimated due date?  It won't help very much to assess what is going on if it was later than her 7th or 8th week GA.  Anyway, all you can do is wait, and if you want to press the issue, do a DNA test when the baby comes.  Does her ex boyfriend feel the same uncertainty?  Will you have to put up a fight just to get tested with the baby, or does she want to do a DNA test?
Thank you so much for the reply.  I honestly don't know when ultrasound was done.  I imagine it was done around the typical time (12-18w?) and her date hasn't changed.  We have been talking off and on about this and I recommended a DNA test.  She has been reluctant until recently to get this.  But, still hasn't done anything yet.  Its hard for me to move with my life worrying about this. I don't want to get into another relationship with someone that I may care about and have the "its your baby" thrown in.  I suppose my question is that based on EDD of 2/11/16 and the times we had sex, there is a possibility that I could be the father correct?  According to online calculators it puts the ovulation around 5/21.
Also, she did a ovulation test 5/26 which was positive.  I found were a positive ovulation test could mean positive pregnancy as well.  Im so confused.  If there is a decent chance based on EDD of 2/11, then I would like to press her a little harder to get the noninvasive DNA test now.
sorry to keep adding to the discussion thread.  I feel the EDD is accurate because it was confirmed by a mutual friend and probably done around mid July. This is going to sound odd, but the reason I am accurate with my dates, is that we were actually trying to get pregnant since January and we were keeping track of her cycle.  In fact, I have in my records that she had some spotting 5/9, then a period 5/14-20.  The previous periods that I have were 2/13-17, 3/13-18, and 4/8-15. Negative preg test 4/22.

Do you think based on this there is a chance I could be the father?  I realize its mostly speculation and only a DNA test will exclude me.  Are the noninvasive tests that swab my check and match it against fetal cells in her blood reliable?  I'll shut up now and await your thoughts.
Hi, sadyear, the site is changing its display style, and when the new version comes up, it is very hard for me to fish up comments off the bottom of an 800+ post thread.  Would you mind very much beginning a new question?  If you do, MedHelp also alerts you to any answers.

When you begin a new post, could you just write out the issue briefly, and say when her periods were, when you had sex in May, what the ultrasound said and when it might have been done, and when she says she had sex with the other guy?  I could try to puzzle it out from there.  Unfortunately, not knowing when in her pregnancy the ultrasound was done (that provided the estimated due date) is going to make calculating things rather iffy.  But if you are certain the date has never changed, that helps.  

Why were you trying to have a baby with someone who lied to you a lot?  You do know, I assume, that prenatal DNA testing costs $1600 or more?
new thread started
Thanks, I see it and will respond.   -- Annie
Dear annie. well my wife was cheating on me and is now living with the other man. The problem is we had protected sex 16 nov. She went for an ultra sound 12 dec and the ultra sound said that the conception date is 16 nov. By the she has been sleeping allot with the other man. I want to know if it is possible that the baby can be mine.
Hi, Dirkestan, if an ultrasound gave evidence that a doctor told your wife meant conception was November 16, it is possible for either of you to be the father, since condoms are not 100% effective.  I assume she was told on December 12 that she was about 5 weeks 5 days gestational age (dated from first day of last period) or 3 weeks 5 days since conception, and the doctor (not your wife or you by yourself) came up with the assertion that she conceived on November 16?  Even though your chances (having used protection) are less than the man with whom she is now living (if she did not use protection with him), it would be a good idea to do a DNA test to rule you out for sure, .Of course, if you both used protection, then a DNA test is the only thing that will tell you for sure.
Dirkestan, I might have not been very clear.

1.  IF the date for conception is right, then you do have a chance to be the dad, because condoms only have about an 80% effectiveness rate.

2.  The way to know if the date for conception is correct is to analyze where it came from.  If the doctor looked at the ultrasound and offered this specific date, and said it is the conception date, that suggests accuracy.  Did he say she was 5 weeks 5 days 'pregnant'?

If the doctor gave some information and then your wife figured out the conception date on her own, (or you did), then that is not as useful because it could be based on misunderstanding what the doctor did say.
Avatar n tn
Dear Annie,
I was dating another man the month of August and moved states September 1st and found myself in another relationship. September 1st - 4th I had what I thought to be a "period". September 27th I took a pregnancy test and had a positive result. However, I had an ultrasound with a midwife November 4th and she stated I was 11 weeks along with a due date on May 24th, which made it impossible for me to have had a period the 1st of September (according to her). With my period having been on September 1st my due date should have been June 7th NOT May 24th, but at my first ultrasound having a due date of June 7th would have put me at 9 weeks along NOT 11. If you could give me your input on whether you believe I conceived in August or September that would be great, I'm pretty torn up about this and researching different prenatal paternity test options. Is there any way my midwife is wrong about her dates? Thank you.
Sorry, did you say your first ultrasound gave you a due date of June 7 or May 24?
Avatar n tn
The ultrasound gave me a due date of May 24th. Thanks for responding.
At what point in the pregnancy was the ultrasound that gave you a due date of May 24, was that at 11 weeks?
I was just a little thrown by you saying "but at my first ultrasound having a due date of June 7th would have put me at 9 weeks along NOT 11."  
I guess I'm also a bit thrown by this part  " I had an ultrasound with a midwife November 4th and she stated I was 11 weeks along with a due date on May 24th."  If someone had an ultrasound on November 4 that said she was 11 weeks 0 days, she would be due on May 28, I think.
Avatar n tn
Yes, my midwife told me that I was 11 weeks along on November 4th. On that day she calculated that my due date was May 24th. Even though I told her that i had a lmp date of September 1st.
Avatar n tn
I hope that made sense!!
Anyway, if you had sex before coming to the United States as late as the last couple of days of August, and then had sex once arriving in the United States as early as, say, September 4 or 5, an 11th-week ultrasound will not help you decide who is the dad.  Sperm can live 5 or 6 days in your reproductive tract, and by week 12, most doctors doing ultrasounds for purposes of determining conception will say "give or take 7 days."  (By the time you are at 40 weeks, the margin for error will be +/- 3 weeks.)

If you didn't have sex with Mr. Home Country in the last week of August, and if you didn't start up with Mr. USA until perhaps the second or third week of September, you could speculate with perhaps some certainty that the baby came from Mr. USA.  But if you did have sex with both guys within only a few days or a week, you will need a DNA test.  Prenatal DNA tests are available from two good labs (that I know of) and several charlatan labs that will just waste your money.  If you want to go the prenatal route, try Ravgen or the DDC.  Both have affiliate labs all over the world, I believe.  The cost is about ten times higher than if you had a test after the baby is born, but especially if you test with both guys, you will get an answer.

Prenatal
To clarify, I am wondering when the last time you had sex with Mr. Old Country was, and when the first time you had sex with Mr. Brave New World was.
Avatar n tn
I did not have unprotected sex with the significant other I had during August during the last week I was there, however I did have unprotected sex with the guy from the month of September multiple times from September 1st until the 7th.
Is that why you remember so clearly that you had a period September 1 - 4?  
Also, did you have ANY sex in the last week of August, protected or not?  If so, was the protection condoms?
Avatar n tn
I'm currently debating choosing ravgen over ddc. However I've read online that few people have recieved false positives and negatives from both labs which worries me. Im weighing the pros and cons of waiting until my baby is born to test paternity.
Avatar n tn
Yes I did have intercourse the last week of August but it was protected and yes that is exactly how/why I remember my period clearly started September 1st.

Avatar n tn
And condoms were my choice of contraception the last week of August.
Well, you are not in a good spot to know who the father is without a DNA test, unfortunately.  
1.  Condoms are only 80% effective
2.  Sperm can live in the woman's reproductive tract 5 or 6 days
3.  The midwife gave you a weeks date (if she said 11 weeks 0 days) and an estimated due date on a certain date, and the dates were not consistent each other
4.  Your period did not correspond to your ovulation according to the midwife [is your period always exactly a certain number of days from the previous one without fail?]
5.  You had sex with two men close enough together that if there was condom failure they both could have had living sperm in your body at the same time
6.  Your earliest ultrasound wasn't early enough to pinpoint when you got pregnant with the precision you need, and any you get from now on could have a larger margin for error

I would not hesitate to use either Ravgen or the DDC, if you test with both men.  I would recommend Ravgen over the DDC only because I have never heard a credible complaint about them.  I have only heard one credible complaint about the DDC, and out of the huge number of tests they must do, that is not a lot.  In your shoes I would not hesitate to test using either lab.  
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your response, you've been a huge help!!!
Annie,

My gf and I had sex on Jan 14 and Jan 15 a lot of times. She found out she is pregnant on Feb16 and ultrasould put her 6w1d pregnant which saying she conceived on Jan 18. But when she had her second ultrasound on Mar 10, ultrasound put her 10w3d pregnant and conceived on Jan 11. She told me that she ate Plan B on the Jan15 evening.
She admitted that she had sex with another guy, didn't tell me when, but it is before Jan6 as I was still with her that day. I left her for work on Jan17 again, not sure if she was with the guy again or not.
What is the odd of the baby being mine if she did had sex with the other guy on Jan5? I am hoping the baby is mine and I can forgive what she did, if the baby is not mine, I will ask the guy to responsible for it for the good of the baby. Btw, her LMP was on Dec15 but only last for 2 days. She had irregular cycle as she took Plan B few times in a month. Should we go with her LMP or ultrasound? Is it possible that the Plan B on 15 did not take effect as we had several times of sex on the 14 itself? How accurate is the ultrasound on 6 and 10 weeks?

Ultrasounds are more accurate at 6 weeks for this purpose than at 10 weeks, and the way she is taking Plan B, she would certainly have irregular cycles that could not be used to count forward from to determine a conception date.  By 10 weeks, an ultrasound could be several days off for dating purposes.  Sex prior to January 6 would probably be too early to produce a baby.  In your shoes I would operate on the assumption that the baby is yours, but would do a DNA test once the baby arrives just to put the question to rest forever.  
Thank you for your response
She went to the clinic on Feb 12, the doctor told her that she had miscarriage as nothing shown up on the ultrasound. I was thinking this is because she told that her LMP was on Dec 15 which put her 2w more. She waited few more days then had another one on Feb 16 only then it can be seen in the us. Was it too early to have an ultrasound scan on Feb12. But there is only 4 days gap though. Does it make more on dating the coception?
I am confident that the baby is mine but I was wondering how the plan B failed. Is it because she took it too many times in a month? How the plan B work in delaying the ovulation? What makes her cycle longer than normal cycle she had before?
Thanks again.
In the FAQs enclosed with Plan B, it says there is a 1 in 8 chance it will not work.  Your girlfriend should not have been taking it randomly, it is not good for her, she should only take it perhaps once every couple of years.  (It is not intended to replace birth control pills.)  In short, Plan B is not a totally infallible medication.  
I guess the only issue would be if she had sex with the other guy later than January 6, such as after you were gone.  But so far, everything you say tends to rule out the guy January 6.
Hi Annie, I was with her the whole time from Jan6 to Jan 17. How is the odd of conceive this baby having sex on 18?
If she had an ultrasound on February 16 and the embryo was seen after it not being seen on the 12th, it rather sounds like there was a difference between ultrasound machines (some machines have higher resolution than others).  This would mean nothing in terms of trying to date the pregnancy.  It would just mean one machine could see the pregnancy and the other could not.

If this was the same machine, same technician and same doctor, she might have been in her 5th week on February 16.  As you know, the GA dates like "5th week" mean two weeks less since conception, so let's say she was somewhere around three to three and a half weeks or so since conception on February 16.  That points to conception in the late January.  Sperm from your last sexual encounter (if it was January 17) could last long enough in her system to extend into that time period.

I think you really need to have a heart-to-heart talk with this girl about whether or not she only had a sexual encounter with someone else on January 6.  Talking to someone on the Internet is not going to answer this question.  If she had sex with the other guy after you left (I assume you're saying you left on the 17th and weren't back after that again until she knew she was pregnant) then a DNA test is called for.  If she never again had sex with him after the 6th, I don't think there is much chance at all that the baby was from him.

Hi please assist. Recently discovered in expecting. Took a blood test that revealed I was six to seven weeks pregnant. Went for a scan with my gp and it said five to six weeks. I has sex with one guy on 28 January 2016 and the other on 22 February 2016. I initial thought I was pregnant with the Jan guy but early home pregnancy tests came back negative. I then thought I had my period in mid Feb but it lasted for just two days which was strange for me. Im thus uncertain to count the Feb period as one since it may have been just bleeding for other reasons as even the flow was too light compared to normal. Please advise who is the likely candidate. Oh further my last clear period was in January, think the first day was around 12 or 13 Jan. This would have meant I was close to ovulation when I had sex in January. I was actually hoping to conceive then as I love this man although we had recently broken up. What do you think? Im having sleepless nights from stress.

Hello please help, trying to determine who the father of my child is, the sexual encounters occurred three weeks apart. The first encounter was right at the time when I was either ovulating or close to ovulation. The second encounter took place three weeks later. When I went for the scan the size of the foetus indicated roughly 5-6 weeks. The first encounter was 28 jan and the second 22 Feb. When do you start calculating conception from. The 5 weeks seems to little for the January guy. Please advise
Hi, Joshie / Vicky, could you post as its own question?  Especially with the new format MedHelp is beginning to use, it is very hard to answer questions in a lot of detail when they are on the end of an 800-post thread.  Just copy the question and hit the button to "ask a question."  That way, you will get an email when anyone answers instead of having to search out the thread.

Also want to mention that if an ultrasound has been done, the count of "weeks pregnant" the tech will mention (or the doctor, nurse or midwife) does not start with the presumed conception date, but with the first day of the presumed last period, conception happening after that about 2 weeks.  So if you were told 5-6 weeks "pregnant" by a medical person, that would mean 3-4 weeks since presumed conception.  This would particularly apply if you had an ultrasound.

Hi if I had sex 05 dec and dating scan starts counting 06 DEC does this mean the guy I slept with on the 5th is not the father?
Hi, Lungi, what do you mean "dating scan starts counting 06 DEC"?  Do you mean that you got a scan, and you think it is in a good range of weeks for using it to date the pregnancy, and if you count back the number of weeks and days all the way to 0, December 6 is day 0?

Was December 5 the only time you had sex with that particular guy?  If so, I assume you are saying you had sex in December with another person?
Hi the second person we were safe that's y I Dont even consider him in ma head but my problem is when I count back using the scan the 06 the becomes day 1 on the scan which disqualifies the guy i slept with on the 5th because the first 2 weeks u not actually pregnant I'm so confused cud the second guy be the father? Is the a chance that something happened to the condom and we did not see
Hi, Lungi, it does sound like the second guy has a chance to be the father if he had sex with you two weeks before Day 1.  Did the doctor give you a due date?  If so, when did you have sex with each guy (calendar days)?
Sorry, two weeks *after* Day 1.  It is more helpful to work from a due date, though.  Did the doctor give you an EDD (estimated due date)?  If so, would you say what it is, and also the dates of the sex with the guys?
My edd was 29 august (38weeks) in which 40 weeks is 12 September (actual birth date of my child) first guy 05 DEC second guy 16 dec
Hi, Lungi, second guy for definitely sure.
If you had the baby at 40 weeks on September 12 (no doctor told you that you were 42 weeks, right?) the conception date where 40 weeks = September 12 is December 20.  
I was not 42 the scan also confirmed that If gave birth 29 th Aug it was 38 and not 40
December 20.
How to ask a question on here?
My last period was Dec 23,2015,and I had sex with my ex bf that day and the condom popped.We broke up then I hooked up with a future ex a week later my ob said I conceived jan 17 who's the daddy?
Annie please help
Hi, hbic16, you're adding to an 800-post thread that began in June, 2012.  Due to the way these long threads work, it is possible nobody will ever see your question.  Why don't you post it as its own question?  Go to the top of the page, click on DNA/Paternity, and then look for "ask question" or "post question" and click on it.
I just checked, it's red, and it says "Ask a question."  At the top of the page.
Although in the old format, it's blue and says "Post Question."  
Viewing 801-920 comments: