DNA / Paternity Community
Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Viewing 401-550 comments:
Annie I think u could help I had a 7 week ultrasound and I measured 6 week 5 days they kept my due date as July 29 I went today 18w5d I measured on target las period was oct 22 I had sex few days after wen period was almost over and then on the nov 3 I swear I ovulated the 5 I felt jabbing pain in right side wen I was going to sleep and didn't go away for about 10 min I had sex w someone else 3 days before expected period 20 21 22  but had sex w boyfriend the 11 or 12 as we'll on the 19 and 20 of nov I felt really nausish and diZy I had to nap but I had sex the 20 w the other guy those 3!days but the 22 my boobs were so sore I thought I was prego and the started to hurt the 19 I tested the 23 with first response digital and both were yes everything is making sense it's my boyfriends I'm jus really confused .. W my son I calculated wen to get pregnant and it worked even tho I have 31 32 day cycles I also should mention I came off mire a in August 21 bleed for a few and got normal period sept 20 or 21 not sure and then OCt 22  I no deep down it's my boyfriends but I have doubts my son was due sept 10 and I was a week late but I had sex 18 19 and one of those were ovulation and I did become pregnant and it based it off a 28 day cycle but like I said I had him 7 days later they were going to induce me but they jus soften my cervix and I had him in 7 to 8 hours after I hope u can help and I really think I don't have to worry
Was it your boyfriend with whom you had the sex on November 3?  Based on your first ultrasound, that was the most likely father, if there was not other sex around that same time.
I only had sex w the other guy 20  21 22 and found out I was pregnant the 23  and saw him a few time after I found out I worry Bc I came off mirena like I said before but everything equals out to being my boyfriend but I read this post somewhere and a girl had hpt positive 3 days after sex idk how that could happens but my ultrasound are saying July 29 as it would be
Wouldn't I be less at my 7 week ultrasound but I was 6w5d if I conceived within the 20 21 or 22 I think I would be about 5 weeks the girl who said she got the hpt + 3 days after sex she said her period was due in a day or so and 10 days after she went for ultrasound and she was 5 w and something but she said she had a period before that and didn't have sex no other time so she is pregnant  ffrom the 3 days but idk how and it says the doctor say anything can happen but she really doesn't give details if she has irregular cycle or anything that is what making me think I should worry
Jmedina, I have to give up when the sentence is 125 words long.  I think you are saying that someone else's story has you concerned about yours.  You had an early ultrasound, it indictes you ovulated around the 3rd or so, try to trust that.  If you cannot, get a DNA test.
Do u think I have anything to worry . My first ultrasound is what makes me think I shouldn't worry but if I did ovulate before my period I wouldn't be 6w5d correct I jus wanna ez my mind a bit because everything seems right since the ultrasounds  are saying July 29 and I did something on the 3rd that's why I feel so strong it's my boyfriends s
Sweetheart, your posts are really hard to understand.  Please break up any sentence that is over, say, 30 words long, with a period and a new beginning to the next sentence, I just can't grasp them and don't know for sure what I'm answering.

If you are asking if early ultrasounds are accurate, yes they are, they measure in weeks back to the first day of your last period.  The time period between the first day they count and the presumed day of conception is two weeks.  That means if you had an ultrasound that said you were 6 weeks 5 days, you conceived about 4 weeks 5 days before the ultrasound was done.  Later ultrasounds don't count, it is the early ultrasound that matters, from the point of view of determining when conception was.

Here is what the conception calculator says for a due date of July 29.

First day of last menstrual period:  October 22
     Probable date of ovulation:  November 5
     Possible dates of conception:  November 1 to 9
     Due date:  July 29 (40 weeks)

Embryos only last about 24-36 hours.  If you ovulated in the first week of November the embryo would have not gotten fertilized by the guy on the 20th.
Ok that helps alot. I only had sex with the other guy 20, 21,22 of November , I  took the hpt on the 23 and was positive. If I did ovulate around the 20 or 21 , on my ultrasound wouldn't I be a lot less than 6 weeks and 5 days.  I was measuring the 6 weeks and 5 days instead of 7 which isn't much to worry.
If you took an hpt on the 23rd and it was positive, that is proof the guy on the 20th didn't have anything to do with it, without looking any further.  From ovulation to implantation is at least five days and probably a bit more, possibly up to 10 days.  Until the embryo has implanted, there is no hCG in your system for a test to measure, let alone enough hCG to come up positive in a home test.
Hey...I had a true period November 17th (cycles are always 24/25 days) had sex on the 27th and 30th of Nov...took a day after on the 30th of Nov. Had sex on the 8th of December...I then had a period on Dec 11th...it lasted about 4 days it was kind of light...had sex again the 21st of Dec through the 24th...positive EPT on the 1st of Jan...I've had three ultrasounds...
The first one on Jan 13th didn't see anything...
Then on the 30th they saw a heartbeat...said I was 7 weeks and something
I had a u/s again on the 10th of Feb and he measured me at 9 weeks 3 days giving me a due date of Sept 13th...
I'm hoping to have conceived during my sessions 21st of Dec...is there any possibility it could've been the 8th of Dec or earlier?
I had my ultrasound n it said 13w 4d and that my LMP was december 1st...which is odd because. i didnt have me period december first or second and dont recall having it that week at all. also it doesnt help that i was told the ultrasound could be off by a week or so.

I have a text to a friend on November 11 telling him that i was dying in pain from my period. so that would have been the 1st or the 2nd day of my period. n calculated to my next period gives me the 9/10th od december..n my period is usually 4 weeks (28 days), even on or off the pill it happens regulary around the same time because i can tell when it's about to happen. Also in september i know it ended around the 20/21. and my period last about 4/5 days. calculated from there still gives me december 9/10 of my last period...i even when as far bak as june because i know it happend the week i was leaving for jamaica. (23-29) n im pretty sure it ended on the 28/29 because i was able to go swimming on the 30 n the rest of the trip with no period.

So is the ultrasound off, or am I? Because if Im right then I know who the dad is. if shes right. then im not sure...just iffy about it all cuz she said it could be off by a week
Hi, TormentedHeart, everything you're describing lines up to conception being around the 21st.  You can get a DNA test once the baby is born, but I would not worry unduly about it in the meantime.  Your period around the 11th would possibly have looked a bit different to you because of the effects of the morning-after pill, but it does seem from the ultrasound evidence to have been a real period.

kyrakriptonitr, it is true that dating a pregnancy from an ultrasound becomes less accurate the further along you go in pregnancy.  An ultrasound in your sixth or seventh week could be spot-on, but by the time you are in your second trimester, it has a margin for error of +/- 7 days or more, and by the time you are at term it could be off by 2 weeks or more.  This is because babies all begin as one cell, and the cells divide at a predictable rate for a while, but after a while some babies can grow more quickly and some more slowly than average.  The only thing you can do is to track your subsequent ultrasounds and see if they all add up to the same due date (which would suggest the baby is not growing more rapidly or slowly than average).  Did you have sex with anyone around December 14? because that is what the ultrasound you just had would suggest.
this was my first ultrasound n it says im 13 weeks...i did have sex with someone december 14.

its just weird cuz shes saying my period was at the beginning of december but i dont recall it at all that week..plus i had it during the week of november 11 and a text message proves that. n its usually every 4 weeks, so my period wouldve had to been around december 9
Okay so i have a bit more confirmation... if my period was the first week of december n its every 4 weeks..counting back would make it the week of november 3-9...but i had sex november 5 and i never have sex during my periods cuz its gross :P...the same guy from november 5 tried having sex on november 11 but i denied him cuz i was on my period. I remember this cuz i had to sneak the pad into my hand to change it and didnt want to leave it in his washroom so i discarded it in the garbage while i was waiting for the bus to go him and the text on november 11 to my friend saying i was in pain from my period...so can you calculate from november 11 when my next period date wouldve been if its regulary every 4 weekss and my ovulation day in december?
If you had your period in December, counting from the 11th of November you would have begun December's period somewhere around the 8th or the 9th.  If things went as normal in terms of ovulation (they don't always), you would have ovulated anywhere from the 20th to the 23rd of December.  This does line up with having an ultrasound in your 13th week that suggested an ovulation date around the 14th -- since the ultrasound is +/- 7 days, it means you could have ovulated anywhere up to the 21st or 22nd.  Basically, interpret your ultrasound as saying you would have conceived between the 13th and the 21st of December.  I hope this helps you narrow down the candidates.  If the main one you don't want to be the dad is the one before November 11, nothing about any of this suggests you got pregnant that early.  
i had sex with a guy the very early morning of december 24, like 2/3 am...hes the one im hoping it is and think it is...but thank you
If the guy on December 24 was the only guy in the time range of the 13th through the (say) 25th, then he would be the guy.  But if you had sex also with someone else in the week of the 13th, then you might need to rule him out after the baby is born with a DNA test.
hi again. I know everything adds up with my dating scan , but i am stressing this and its so hard ,i did only have sex with my boyfriend the whole month but then the 20 till the 22 was guy # 2. I know i shouldn't be worrying although if i did ovulate after the 5th would there still be a chance the 2nd guy could be the father. I keep saying to myself how tho, the ultrasound would not of dated me 6weeks and 5 days when i should of been 7, i should of been less. Around the 19th and 20th i was very dizzy and nausea and had sore boobs. Then on the 22nd my boobs were hurting me even worse, what made me test the 23rd was feeling dizzy the days before because that's how i felt with my son when i got pregnant. I really don't think i need a DNA because everything makes sense. With my son i went over a week of my due date ,with my man at that time i had sex the 15th, and 16th of  my cycle days , and nothing after that and became pregnant. Now with this cycle i just got off Mirena and September cycle was the 21 and October the 22  each lasting 8 days and i got the Mirena removed August 22 . So i think my cycles became regular. Then on the 5th of November i felt sharp pains like i was ovulating, I'm just confused but my doctor says everything adds up from conceiving around the 5th.
Jmedina, I can't make it easier from the emotional point of view, all I can do is tell you that the dates compute.  Here is what the conception calculator says for a due date of July 29.

Probable date of ovulation:  November 5
     Due date:  July 29 (40 weeks)

Embryos only last about 24-36 hours.  You would not have ovulated on November 5 and then gotten pregnant 15 days or more later, the egg would have long ago been dissolved.  If you had a positive pregnancy test three days after having sex with the guy on the 20th, he is not the father (unless you also had sex with him a couple of weeks earlier than the positive pregnancy test.)
If you can't relax and believe these things, the person to talk to is not me about the dates or an ob-gyn, but a counselor about your stress.  It's pretty common for someone in your position to redirect their anxiety to an obsessive focus on the dates and to not believe them, as sort of an easier thing to stress about than focusing on what is really bothering them, i.e., the fact that they had sex with someone that they now feel was a mistake (and sometimes, the stress of having kept it a secret).  You can't make that bad feeling go away by obsessing on the dates; you make it go away by making plans for the future to make your boyfriend the happiest dad on earth, so you can give him something positive in exchange for the betrayal you don't plan to tell him about.  And frankly, if a woman swears on her honor and never cheats again and makes her man happy the rest of his life, I don't think that is such a bad trade the father makes, for being kept in the dark about the one transgression.  
Even if i ovulated a little after that, lets say it was a few days after. No i didn't have sex with the 2nd guy other than those 3 days(20th, 21st, 22nd). I'm going to have to trust the dating scan, and i cant see how even if i did ovulate a little later how the 2nd guy would be the father only if i ovulated on day 30 of my cycle. I know i would of been almost 5 weeks on the scan if i did. I know i didn't have sex with him any other times but those 3days before my period was suppose to arrive. I also had sex with my boyfriend the 3rd and many times after that and and the 5th was when i was suppose to ovulate(But maybe i did a few days after). But everything is pointing to my boyfriend being the dad. Like you said i got the positive test on the 23rd its likely the 2nd guy is not the father.
It doesn't matter what you read some girl write on the Internet, you can't get a positive on a home test only the third day after having sex.  Look up your biology.  The embryo has not even hatched out of its protective shell (it does not do that until the 5th day or 6th day) and it cannot implant in the uterine side wall until it does.  It will not send the body any hCG messages until it implants.  Someone writing on the Internet that they got a positive pregnancy test on the third day is simply mistaken.
So my last period was Dec 31-Jan2. I had sex (unprotected) on January 6th. I never came on my period again. I had  sex with someone else from January 19-26th. Today I went to the Dr and im 8 weeks & 4 days pregnant, due date 10-17-14.. Which occurrence could have led to this pregnancy?  Thanks for all help in advance.
It doesn't sound like the person on January 6; the conception calculator gives the following for someone who is 8 weeks 4 days as of March 11.  Sperm can live a while, but not 18 days.

Probable date of ovulation:  January 24
     Possible dates of conception:  January 20 to 28
     Due date:  October 17 (40 weeks)
Hello Annie! My last period was december13 and my cycle is 34 day.. I suppose to ovulated January the 3.. On February 22 I went to the emergency they did a transvaginal ultrasound said that I was 7 weeks and  3 days.....  Mu due date is 10/8/14.. I have sex with a guy on January the 15 like 1 minutes but he use the pull out method he have 12 years using this method and the same night I have sex with my husband he ejaculate on me... Can you help me please....
Hi, Carla,

In the private message you sent me, you said the sex with the other guy was on January 5, but here you are saying it was the 15th.  Which was it?  It would be significant to know because if the other guy was on the 5th, there is a much less likely chance he is the dad than if he was on the 15th.
With all that said, do you think i have to worry. I just cant understand why my dating scan was two days off. Do you think my boyfriend is most likely the father.
If i did ovulate around CD 30, would my ultrasound be less than 6 weeks and 5 days. I really don't think i ovulated late ,especially considering my dating scan adds up to being around November 5
Hi, Jmedina,

It's really hard to answer posts that have been added to a long thread of other people's posts, because scrolling back and forth to try to find information pertaining to their particular set of dates is almost impossible.  I did find this that I wrote to you:

________

All I can do is tell you that the dates compute.  Here is what the conception calculator says for a due date of July 29.

Probable date of ovulation:  November 5
     Due date:  July 29 (40 weeks)

Embryos only last about 24-36 hours.  You would not have ovulated on November 5 and then gotten pregnant 15 days or more later.
_______

I am not sure what you are asking regarding "if I did ovulate around CD 30," since I don't know when CD 30 is and can't look it up on the system. I also don't have the ability to comment on your remark that your dating scan is two days off.  Was it not an early scan?  Then it is not two days off, possibly your period is two days off the standard two weeks allowance they add to a scan to back up to begin the pregnancy count.  But if your scan was early and says you ovulated around November 5, that's when you ovulated.  
When i mean scan i meant my 7 week scan, But i measured 6 weeks and 5 days. my 30 day of my cycle would of been Nov 20 i was suppose to get my period the 22. But maybe i would of the 21st. As i mentioned before the 2nd person i had sex with was on the 20th of November and i got the positive HPT on the 23rd. In September i got my period the 21 and October the 22. So my ovulation was suppose to be around the 5 or a little after of November. My dating scan put me around that time for conception. But my question is if i did ovulate later like a week or 2, wouldn't my scan be less. Also do you think there is any chance the second guy could be the father.
Your most probable date of ovulation is November 5.  Once you ovulate, the embryo only lasts a very short time, about a day or a day and a half.  The guy on the 20th, if you had not had sex with him before, would have been too late to get you pregnant.
That makes sense, i know i keep asking the same questions and your probably getting annoyed. I just feel you are very knowledgeable with this. Lets say i ovulated later than the 5th, could that be why my first scan is off. I don't think i ovulated 3 days before my cycle was suppose to start. I also cant see getting the positive hpt test 3 days after having sex with the guy from the 20th. But let's say if i ovulated the week after the 5th could the 2nd guy be the father.
Sweetheart, I appreciate you are anxious but I've answered and answered, and am sure that no matter what else I say it won't make you less anxious or more sure.  I strongly suggest you get a DNA test once the baby is born, or you might keep worrying and wondering the baby's whole life.

Please read the following once again, it's all I can suggest.  

Your most probable date of ovulation, (from ultrasound evidence of the present size of the embryo), is November 5.  Once a woman ovulates, the embryo only lasts a very short time, about a day or a day and a half.  The guy on the 20th, if you had not had sex with him before, would have been too late to get you pregnant.

Biologically speaking, you would not have gotten a positive on the 23rd if you only got pregnant on the 20th.  The embryo does not implant until the 5th day or more and the hCG does not go into your bloodstream to give you a positive test until the embryo implants and even then the test won't pick it up for a couple of days.

Good luck, I am sorry I've got nothing else.
Hi,  my last perid was on december 14 and 34 days cycles..  I have men 1 on january the 15 but was for 2 minutes and he use te ull out method.. andI have sex with my husband the samen nigth he came on me... They did a ultrasound yesterday and sais hat my due date is 10/4/14... Before as 10/8/14 and now is 10/4/14... What do you think my husband is the father..? Thanks..
Hi, Carla, in your previous private messages to me, you said the other guy was on January 5.  Then you posted again saying he was on January 15, but did not say if that corrects the earlier number or if that is the error.  Your first ultrasound gave you an estimated conception date of the 15th, and it would presumably be more accurate because it was earlier, except that you had it at the ER, which is not a great place to do scans for the purpose of dating the pregnancy.  Now you're saying this subsequent ultrasound has changed the due date.  If it was at a good ob-gyn's office and not the ER, perhaps it is more accurate, although since it is done later it will have a bigger margin for error.  This might mean there is a slightly lesser chance of the guy on the 15th being the father, (if, that is, he was on the 15th and not the 5th.  If the other guy was on the 5th, his sperm could have lasted in your system until the 12th.)  Anyway, I wish you would clear up the 5th/15th thing, and explain how it was that you got the ultrasounds.  If they were both at the ER, that is not going to help you very much.
is that possible that i have sex on january the 15 and get positive test on january 20?
I have sex we my husband 12/29/ 12/30/ 12/31/ 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/15.... with the second man I have sex just for 2 minutes on the 15 of january and he use the pull out method... Both ultrasound were done in the ER... Thanks!!!
hi annie.  we need help here. my boyfriend and I are wondering, if he is the father or not. we were fighting in oct 2013. he ended up sleeping with another girl on the 10th and the 19th. she told him that she is pregnant. she had an ultrasound dec 16th, 2013 and it said that she was 8 in a half weeks. we are wondering, when was conception and when would she be due?
Hi, Carla, you're going to need a DNA test, since it is possible for you to be pregnant by either guy.

Sally, did the other girl have an estimated due date?  Or even something more precise than 8 and a half weeks. such as 8 weeks 3 days or 8 weeks 4 days?
no. unfortunately the only thing that she told him was how far long she was. 8 in a half. that's it. no days.  and he was with her only twice on those days. unless, he's lying. not sure. but, he swears that he's being honest and telling me the truth.
Well, it sounds like she got pregnant around the 31st of October or the 1st of November.  "8 weeks pregnant," when said by a medical person, is counting using gestational age, or GA.  GA begins on the first day of the last period, not on the day of conception.  She would have been about six and a half weeks from conception on the day she had the ultrasound, December 16.  Tell your boyfriend to be decent to her, she probably doesn't even know this about how doctors count pregnancies, but that he should try not to stress since this does not sound like it is his baby.  For her peace of mind, he should volunteer to do a DNA test once the baby is born, but for his own peace of mind, he should remember between now and then that the dates really don't add up to him.
he says that he had sex with her between the 10th and the 19th. he's pretty sure, that those are the exact two days. but, can u still add up for me between that time period? even though, he's giving me those to go on, maybe u can figure something else out, cuz I still think, that he doesn't know for sure, the both times. I'm gonna go on between that time frame, the 10th to the 19th. and let me know, what u came up with. thanks so much. I'd like to ease my mind as well as this is tearing me apart.
The bracket the calendar gives for her ovulating and getting pregnant is October 31 - November 1 or 2.  Until you get more information from her (try to get the estimated due date she was given at her 8th-week ultrasound) there is nothing more that can be assumed.
ok. thank u very much. we'll try, but I doubt it. as she wont tell him nuthin or even talk to him. she has had no contact, since jan, so. I don't think that we'll find out. if we do, by sum weird chance happening, or hear sumthing, i'll letcha know. K?
If she gets as far as wanting a DNA test, he should do it with good grace, but should insist it be done at a lab certified by the courts for determining paternity, not done with an over-the-counter test.  This way, it avoids mix-ups or switches with the swab.  In his shoes I would not worry too much, if the last time he had sex with her was the 19th.
He wants to. I don't know about her. but, he says that it's not his. he believes that it is not. he's hopin and prayin. He'll still be a father to the kid he said, but wants nothing to do with her. Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I think that he would do that though. Lab. He was told maybe $300-$500 to get it done. Ok. Thank u  much Annie. U've been sooo much help.  and yes. That was the last time. He said. It happened. So, hopefully he is telling me the truth. Cuz I told him, that if he is lying, the truth will come out. When the time comes. And then, we'll know. For sure. I will keep u posted, if I or him, hear anything else. I will try to find out her due date. Thanks again. :)
My lmp began on 1/25 and ended on 1/28. On 1/30 I inserted my NuvaRing.  I had sex with "man A" from 1/30-2/8 every day, unprotected, and he came in me, as normal with my Nuvaring in.  On 2/8 I had unprotected sex with "man B", he did not come in me but somehow I managed to lose my Nuvaring while I was with him.  I noticed immediately after i had sex with man B that nuvaring was missing and could not find it.  
The next day I took plan B, and never slept with man B again. I was planning on getting another Nuvaring but when i told man A i lost it, he convinced me to leave it out as he really wanted to try for a baby.  He does not know about man B or that I took plan B.  From 2/9 onward I have been having unprotected sex with man A every day, with him coming in me, and haven't slept with man B or anyone else.  
Didn't have my period at the end of Feb and I am pregnant.  Haven't been to the doctor yet to determine how far along I am--but in theory, since I took plan B the day after I lost my Nuvaring, there is no chance man B is the father right? When did I ovulate and would using Nuvaring and Plan B have affected my ovulation date? I only had sex with man B once and took plan B the next day, so it is definitely man A's baby right? I really hope so :-(
Thanks for any help...
You ask when you ovulated.  With the Nuvaring in for only part of the week and taking Plan B, it is impossible to tell for sure when you ovulated.  You also say "there is no chance man B is the father right?" and "so it is definitely man A's baby right?"  I'm sorry, but words like 'no chance,' and 'definitely' can't be used in this situation.  Even though simply by the fact that you had a lot of unprotected sex with the first guy, he has the better chance, you can't rule out the second guy.  

You sound like you have been using Nuvaring the way people use condoms, assuming that when it is in, you're protected and when it's out, you are not.  Your doctor should have done a better job describing to you how Nuvaring works.  It's not a barrier contraceptive.  It's a hormone delivery system like the Pill, and it takes a week for the protection to begin after you put it in.  You can't pop it one day and have sex that night and be protected.  The hormones have to work on your body for a week to prevent ovulation.  

For the same reason, depending on what day you lost the Nuvaring, the Plan B might have in fact been a waste of time.  The Nuvaring's hormones basically lag by a week, meaning that they also last a week in your body after you take it out.  If it really did get lost actually on the 8th (do you know for sure it didn't wash out in one of the prior week's sessions, given that you never did find it on the 8th?) -- anyway if it really did get lost on the 8th you would have been covered by its hormones for a week.  This would mean it covered you about as well as the Plan B if you lost it on the 8th, unless the second guy's sperm lasted more than a week.  (Of course, if it came out earlier than the 8th, the second guy's sperm could easily have outlasted its effects.)  Also, Plan B's materials warn that it has about a 1 in 10 chance of not working, meaning there is a slim chance that even if you had this exact series of events without any Nuvaring, the second guy was still a candidate.  

Of the things you have written, it the Nuvaring really was in your body until the 8th, the most likely time to have gotten pregnant was before the hormones in the Nuvaring began to be effective, meaning your boyfriend.  The next most likely time was on or around the 8th, especially if you lost the Nuvaring earlier and just didn't notice, meaning either guy.  Almost equally likely is the chance you ovulated late due do all the fun and games with hormones, and then the question is how long your boyfriend's sperm lasted and how long the other guy's sperm lasted.  If you kept having sex with your boyfriend after the 8th, and IF you ovulated late, he would be the best candidate.  Unfortunately, the other guy still can't definitely be ruled out.  If you lost the Nuvaring somewhere halfway in the week of the 1st, you might have ovulated perhaps a week later, but that doesn't help you much to narrow things down since both of the guys' sperm could have been viable in your system for up to five or six days after the sex.

(Incidentally, I'm assuming the other guy was also unprotected sex.  If he wore a condom, it definitely reduces his chances.)

Here is the thing to do.  Put TOP PRIORITY on getting in for an ultrasound like right now at a good-quality ob-gyn clinic, even if you have to pay for it out of pocket.  (Don't do this at the ER.)  Your best bet is to try for a date that would be 7 weeks from the first day of your last period, even if your ovulation might have been delayed by all of the hormones.  It's important to do this early, go to a different doctor if they can get you and some other doctor can't get you in for several weeks.  

When there, ask the tech or the doctor to tell you your estimated due date based on the measurements and developmental markers of the embryo.  (This is a question you can ask even if your boyfriend goes with you.)  If your boyfriend is not with you, tell the doc or tech that you are not sure what good knowing the first day of your last period really was because your ovulation could have been delayed by the Nuvaring being maybe there maybe not, and by taking Plan B.  If you aren't in the ultrasound room with your boyfriend, tell the tech the truth, that you need as much precision as possible because there are two candidates for dad.  They should give you an EDD (estimated due date), which means a lot in your case.  (They will also give you a number of weeks "gestational age," which means not so much in your case because it will be counting from an estimated first day of your last period.  In other words, when a doctor says "You're 9 weeks pregnant," he doesn't mean "conception was 9 weeks ago," he means "the presumed first day of your last period was 9 weeks ago," and with all the hormones you've been taking, it would be surprising if this aligned with the actual first day of your last period.  So, when they say "x weeks pregnant," that is interesting but you need to hear it as two weeks more than when you ovulated.  If they say "you're 9 weeks 1 day," hear it as "7 weeks 1 day from ovulation.")

Anyway, get in for the ultrasound, and do it soon, because the longer the pregnancy goes the less accurate ultrasounds are for assessing how far along the pregnancy is with any exactness.  Make this high priority or you will wind up worried and wondering all through your pregnancy.  Get your EDD, then put it into an online pregnancy calculator or simply count back on a calendar 266 days, and that will be your estimated ovulation date.  While it's possible that the ovulation date won't rule out the second guy, you might get lucky and it will.

Incidentally, while at the doctor's, get swabbed for STDs.  I assume you trust your boyfriend, but Nuvaring doesn't protect against STDs, so if the sex was otherwise unprotected, the second guy might have given you a gift that keeps on giving.

Write back when you get your ultrasound results and we can see what they might indicate.  I hope they suggest you got pregnant before the second guy.
But what if it wasn't a period just bleeding and you think it was a period?
D2d, if someone has random bleeding, that is pretty unusual.  If such bleeding is not a period, it is unusual to confuse that for a period.  If you have a question about your situation, please feel free to post it on this forum; I looked up and down this thread and didn't find anything from you, but it is confusing to try to find anything with 437 posts on the thread.  If you'll just click on "Back to Community," you can start a post with your own question and details, and I and the other ladies who post on here will answer.   If you post, write the info like this:  "I had bleeding on ___, I had sex on ___ with guy 1 and ___ with guy 2, I have/ have not had an ultrasound, the doctor said my estimated due date was ___, he or she got this date by __ ultrasound, [or] __ looking at a little chart; and I'm nervous because ______."  The info will help us answer your question.
Lets say you had a period March 28 , conception date is April 1st, May  15th you have a ultrasound that says 6weeks , is it possible you can be be 4-4 1/2 weeks?
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who my baby's father is , my scenario is this my boyfriend (Man A) have been trying to get pregnant , we were having unprotected sex for 5 months straight with him ejaculating inside of me , my periods were never consistent the whole time , they would come randomly , the last day I had sex with him was Oct.7 , we then went through a split for a short time maybe a month or 2 , I had a one night stand with man b Nov.12 ,( Man B) claims he did not *** , I then got back with my boyfriend (Man A) December 4th we had sex and he did ejactulate inside of me, December 10. I found out I was pregnant , a week later I had an ultrasound and it said I was 6 weeks , what's the possibility (ManA) is the father and Not (ManB)
I'm sorry I meant December 17th I took the test , and a week later I got the ultrasound ?
You had sex with someone on November 12, and then you had an ultrasound that said 6 weeks on December 24?  (What does "a week later I got the ultrasound" mean, exactly 7 days later than the 17th, so, the 24th?)

Also, please be specific even if you have to look up the ultrasound report.  Did they say you were at 6 weeks exactly -- i.e., 6 weeks 0 days?  And did they give an estimated due date (EDD) at that ultrasound in December?  If so, what was it?

Since you didn't get back with your boyfriend until December 4, it sounds like he was too late to be the dad, in other words, it sounds like you were already pregnant.  But this will depend on whether the ultrasound was really on December 24 that told you you were 6 weeks pregnant, and it also depends on if that ultrasound said 6 weeks 0 days or 6 weeks and some number of days.
hi annie, im concerned about my conception dates as there are two possible fathers. . . my period began on the 16.0ct but my 12 week scan dates the 21st of oct. I slept with one guy on the 21st oct without protection just after my period had ended and another guy on the 4 of nov but I took the morning after pill on the 5th nov ???? please help
December 26 and it was 6 weeks 3days , August 4 is EDD ??
Is there any possible chance that the ultrasound may be wrong ? I could be less weeks than I am , or more weeks than it shows ?
If, on December 26, the ultrasound measurements said the pregnancy was 6 weeks 3 days, it's kind of surprising that August 4 would be named as the EDD, because that doesn't line up with 6 weeks 3 days gestational age.  Did you get the EDD by your own computation?  Did the doctor say 6 weeks 3 days "along" or 6 weeks 3 days "GA" (which stands for gestational age), or did he specifically say 6 weeks 3 days from conception in response from a question from you about it using that word?  He would not have meant conception when saying 6w3d unless he knew this was specifically an issue, because doctors begin the "weeks" count from the presumed first day of your last period, not from the presumed date of conception.  Is there a number on your ultrasound that is labeled as the GA?

Also, was there no sex at all with anyone between November 12 and December 4?
It sounds like the first guy is more likely.  I have to leave the computer until tomorrow right now but will write again tomorrow afternoon in more depth.
Hi Annie. I'm back. It's Sally. I have a due date for u. My boyfriend heard that it is July 20th, or the 21st. One of those two. I hope that u can work with this and let me know what u come up with. Thank u. :)
Here is what the conception calculator gives for the due date of July 20.  But it doesn't really sound like he has any way to know how accurate the due date is -- such as, how did she get it?  Was it given by measuring the embryo in an ultrasound before the 8th week?  For what it is worth, then:

First day of last menstrual period:  October 13
     Probable date of ovulation:  October 27
     Possible dates of conception:  October 23 to 31
     Due date:  July 20 (40 weeks)

A DNA test remains the key for everyone to know what is really going on.  In the meantime he should try not to let her yank his chain.
OK, you said, "im concerned about my conception dates as there are two possible fathers. . . my period began on the 16.0ct but my 12 week scan dates the 21st of oct. I slept with one guy on the 21st oct without protection just after my period had ended and another guy on the 4 of nov but I took the morning after pill on the 5th nov ???? please help."

First, when did you have the 12-week scan, and did they say you were at 12 weeks 0 days or 12 weeks some other amount of days?  

Also, what does "my 12 week scan dates the 21st of oct" mean -- what does it date, do you mean it dates the first day of your last period as the 21st of October?  Or do you mean the date of conception?  If the latter, how did you get that, did the doctor look at the ultrasound and say "you conceived on October 21" or did you use a calculator?  And if the doctor said this from an ultrasound, was the ultrasound in your 12th week?  

Ok, well he did have sex with her on the 19th he says pretty sure that's the date. and he didn't wwear a comdom right away. he said for a min without then put one on. so, precum? possibly? and then he said that he finished in comdom. but I said that it coulda broke, or expired? also, u said conception was 23rd to the 31st? well, doesn't sperm last up to seven days? and he slept with her on the 19th. wouldn't that make him poss father? and the first time he did was the 10th and pulled out method. u said she would've had a period on the 13th though. possibly. he had sex before that though. could it be precum there as well?

Both dates give me a rough idea, that possible pre-*** for both. or am I wrong? cuz we don't even know, if she had a period after they had sex the first time. and the sec time he did, he said pre-*** possibly before he put condom on.  sperm can live up to seven days, well he slept with her the 19th, he's pretty sure. and then theres the conception time , between the 23rd to the 31st. it's gotta be his? no? could she of got pregnant off of pre-***, the first time, or the second time? I'm confused.

How did she get it?  Was it given by measuring the embryo in an ultrasound before the 8th week? The answer to that is she got an ultrasound done on the 16th of December and that is what the results said. that she was 8 in a half weeks on dec 16th. from what the ultrasound said. she told him that. but, she could be lying. but, I cant see her lying about how far long she was. well, actually. ya. he said that she likes to lie. but like u said, before, she didn't know how to add up the gestational age. she coulda told him that, to make it look like his. yes. that is possible. but, he just heard this week, that her due date is july 20th, or the 21st. so, even if shes lying about the weeks back in December, her due date is what counts now. right? it does add up to the right time frame for him, if it was precum that stayed in for up to seven days and she would've conceived that way. between that time frame that u gave me. 23rd to the 31st. they had sex on the 19th and the first time was around the 10th, possibly the twelfth. not sure. sumthin like that. regardless. I told him that he still slept with her between the 10th to the 19th. regardless. so, could it be possible for precum then?
Sorry, Sally, you're losing me.  If her possible date of ovulation was the 27th and if they last had sex on the 19th, it would be unlikely he's the dad.  But you don't know how accurate and precise any of this is.  Ask her for a copy of the ultrasound so you can read dates and lengths and EDDs for yourself.  Listening to vague stuff like "we heard she is due on the 20th" or whatever, is the road to craziness.

Ok. I just thought that sperm can live up to 5-7 days. I thought that u said conception was the 23rd to the 31st? though and if they had sex around the 19th or on that day, then ya. thought that sperm could live that long. ok.  well, if ovulation for her poss could be the 27th, then youre sayin, that theres nooo way that she could've got pregnant after the 19th up until the 26, then right? ok. well, he could be lying then, cuz he was at her place with her boyfriend the 28, 29, 30, 31 and up until Nov 26, becuz we don't live together, he was staying there for like 2 months. living there. it's pretty twisted, yes. cuz he slept with his friend's girlfriend. yes. it was very unfair to me and the guy. they both betrayed us. yes. anyway, ok. well, if that's the case, then he could be the father, due to him being there at that time of ovulation then. but, he swears that he was only with her the two times that I gave u, so I guess that we'll just have to wait till the baby is born and he'll have to get a paternity test to see then, cuz she will not show him and definitely not me the results. no way. and yer rite. we don't know if any of this is true. the dates, the times, etc. I'm just going by with what my boyfriend is saying and what she's supposedly saying to him and others. I heard that she can be a compulsive lier, so who knows if anything of this is right. ok. i'll just wait and see what the truth prevails then. yer right. I cant go by on this. I have nooo proof. just hear say from my boyfriend and hers. ok. thanks so much for listening and helping. I will keep u posted, if I do hear anything. better yet, see something. anything. proof is what I need. ;)
Hello Annie, I desperately need an answer to my question. I had sex with this girl sometime between Feb 11-14th this year then we had a falling out and didn't talk for a while. She messaged me saying she was pregnant and went to the Dr today 4/11 for a u/s. The conception date of the u/s showed 9wks 3days, which suggests the date we had sex would be Feb 4th; which is before we even met. Is it possible that a u/s could be off by 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks when its stating that she is only 9 weeks pregnant?
Hi, JPeterson, sorry, but you're misunderstanding what the "weeks" count means, and the short answer is, you could definitely be the dad; in fact you probably are, if you were the only guy she was seeing around February 11-14.  I hope you haven't burned your bridges by telling the gal you doubt her story because likely it is your baby.  Here is why.

When a doctor, nurse or ultrasound tech says someone is 9 weeks 3 days "pregnant," they are using a medical way of counting and timing pregnancy called the "gestational age," or GA.  A GA count does not begin on the day the doctor assumes conception happened, it begins on the first day of the last period the woman had before getting pregnant.  In other words, if a doctor says to a woman, "Congratulations, you are 8 weeks pregnant!" he means it has been 8 weeks since her last period began, or only about 6 weeks since conception.  

The count of weeks in pregnancy is done this way because the period is a big, obvious signal, not because the doctor thinks a person is really pregnant when on day 1 of bleeding of her period.  (Obviously on day 1 of her cycle, she is not pregnant yet, she is having a period.)  But they do the count that way.  That's why pregnancy, which takes 38 weeks, is counted as being 40 weeks long.  They add a spare two weeks at the front to count back to the presumed first day of the last period.

Now, IF she said to the doctor, "but when did I conceive?" using that exact word, the doctor might be able to move the date forward two weeks and help her make an estimate.  But usually the doc just says "you're 9 weeks along" meaning from her first day of her period, and the woman hears that as meaning conception, and they never clarify their terms.

What this adds up to in your case, is that she would have been most fertile around the 18th, putting you firmly in range because sperm can last in a woman's body 5 days or more.  Here is what the conception calculator says, assuming the "9 weeks 3 days" is a GA count:

Computed first day of last menstrual period:  February 4
     Probable date of ovulation:  February 18
     Possible dates of conception:  February 14 to 22
     Due date:  November 11 (40 weeks)

So.  If you think she had other partners in the week of the 14th, be kind but noncommittal.  Any words that are rude that you say now, you will possibly have to swallow, so swallow them in advance and don't insult her.  If she has had other partners, you will most definitely be in your rights to expect a DNA test once the baby is born, and in fact you are within your rights anyway to ask for one.  (It's too important not to get this straight.)  But if you had unprotected sex with her in the time range of the 11th to the 14th, honey you are not off the hook at all.  And although men hate to hear this, having the baby is the woman's decision, it is her body and she is the one who has to bear it and deliver it.  If you were truly paranoid about ever having the legal obligation to a child, you could have put on your Wellies before going wading.

There is nothing wrong, rude or improper about expecting to do a DNA test, it's the only way to put all doubts to rest.  Knowing who the father is, is important to all three of you (her, you, and the baby).  Just be a gracious grown-up male who stands up to his responsibilities; life will be smoother for you all along the way.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for that in depth response. It helped a great deal and is much appreciated. I agree with you on all of it. There is much more to the story than I care to post to the general public. So we'll just say that I am about 99% sure that I am the father, but just to be certain I will do a DNA test after the baby is born. We are not together, but have an agreement when it comes to the baby and custody and whatnot. I want my child to come from a good home, whether we are together or not. I will still go to all of the Dr appts. and be there throughout the pregnancy for her, we just don't fit as a couple unfortunately.

Thank you so much for your concern though. It really means alot to have caring people like you who offer the information that the other Dr's won't give you since you are not the patient.
Good luck, I think you're probably the dad.  The DNA test will serve to put any lasting worries to rest.
Hi annie, I have a question. I Went to the doctor on 1/30/14 and they said I was 5 weeks 3 days by measuring the size of my babies opening since I don't have regular periods. Does this mean I conceived 5 wks 3 days before that or six wks before 1/30/14 my due date is Sept 27 2014
I had sex with my boyfriend for almost every day up to 29 September 2013 and also had sex with my ex boyfriend on 3rd October and I found myself that I was pregnant. went for scanning on 4nov 2013 and it showed that I was 7weeks and 2days pregnant and my EDD was 28june 2013. now am confused can you help to calculate my date of conception because I don't know who the father is. my LMP was 15september 2013
Hi, sorry WenNique, I didn't see your remark; if you want you can begin a fresh post and it will be more visible.  In answer to your question, it means they assume from the size of the baby that you had a period that began 5 weeks 3 days earlier, not that you conceived 5 weeks 3 days earlier.  If you had an ultrasound that early it will be pretty accurate, and here is what the calculator says for a due date of September 27:

Assumed first day of last menstrual period:  December 21
     Probable date of ovulation:  January 4
     Possible dates of conception:  December 31 to January 8
     Due date:  September 27 (40 weeks)
Hi, nelfaith,

An early ultrasound (7 weeks 2 days is early enough) can be spot on for dating a pregnancy.  Based on the estimated due date of June 28, here is what the calculator gives for conception:

Probable date of ovulation:  October 5
     Possible dates of conception:  October 1 to October 9, 2013
     Due date:  June 28, 2014 (40 weeks)

I think because the range (October 1-9) is so close to the length of time (the sperm from the boyfriend would have lasted from September 29), both guys have a pretty good chance of being the dad.  That means in your case you really will need to have a DNA test once the baby is born -- it's only fair to you, both guys, and especially to the baby.
I read that taking a Plan B delays ovulation. If I was supposed to ovulate on the 29/30 of November...but took a plan B on the 30th of November...is it possible that I got pregnant on Dec 2nd or 8th and still had a period on Dec 11th? If so would my due date be counted from my prior period (November 17th) or the Dec 11th one?
From your other posts, it does not sound possible that you got pregnant on December 2.  December 20-22 would be more like it.
Okay I just found out I am pregnant..took two tests...
I slept with my boyfriend april 12th nd 10 days later slept with my ex... My periods have been crazy since march 2nd nd would have a period every other week so from march 2-9 then again march 22-31 then again april 4th-6th nd again 8th lightly till the 12th started heavy nd it stopped nd was light till the 13-14 nd i havent bleed since then....
hi annie i have a problem too whoose the father
my last period i know is march 4 and i have sex with the other guy march 15 and i have sex to my boyfriend march 22 and when i noticed that im pregnant when i use pregnancy test
my ultrasound is 10 weeks and 3 days and my due date is dec 3 so whoose the father plss. help thanks
Prettyinink, go to the doctor and get an ultrasound.  Tell them your periods are so irregular that you cannot judge from the period when you ovulated, and ask them to give you an estimated due date based on the embryo's size and developmental markers.  You should get the ultrasound this week, your timing would be perfect for getting a pretty clear answer to the question of an estimated due date.  If you wait, things will get less accurate (by the 12th week, the margin for error for dating is +/- seven days).  So go now.  Then once you have your estimated due date, you can either use an online conception calculator to see when you might have conceived, or you can just count backwards from the estimated due date 266 days to an assumed conception date.  The main thing is, don't wait.  Even if you have to pay out of pocket for the ultrasound, this is the time window to get it.
ahoi, I'm sorry to say, but it really sounds like the first guy has the best chance of being the dad over the second guy.  Even if we assume there is a little bit of margin for error in a tenth-week ultrasound, you probably conceived not a lot later than the 15th.  Certainly not as late as the 22nd.  Since your dates with the guys are so close together, you should definitely get a DNA test when the baby is born, but the odds really favor the "other guy" over your boyfriend.  I'm sorry.
Hey, so I'm really confused on my ultrasound...when I look at the screen after my ultrasound it says 2 different dates, EDC and right below it US EDC. What do those mean?

On March 7th, the EDC sid 13w2d and the US EDC said 13w4d. Giving me and LMP of December 1st apparently and they said I probably conceived December 16/17.

On April 23rd, the EDC said 19w1d and the US EDC said 19w5d. She told me I was 19w1d and the screen said my LMP was December 10 which is when I had my LMP and puts me to conceive on the 24th, which gives me the guy I am hoping for.

So if you could clarify EDC vs US EDC and the dates, that would be really helpful.
but he told me and i know the other guy use the widrawal but my boyfriend never use the widrawal and he leave it inside and i try to release it out but i dont know if all is release and   i dont remmember if we have sex before the other guy
and theres no possibility to change the ultrasound weeks?its my first trimester im so depressed and crazy because i dont know whoose the father the other guy we do that 4mins only and its a widrawal and my boy friend release inside so hard to think hehe i wish my baby its for my boy friend
My last period was on January 20.I Had sex 23 wit guy A febuary and took morning after pill. I began to bleed the 25 febuary trough 2 march. i had sex 2 march with guy A. And 20/21/22/23 March with guy B. I did hpt 4 April it was positive went to do a ultrasound 9 April could not see anything on the ultrasound. went back 30 April to do a ultrasound and I was 7 weeks and 4 days along. When to do a ultrasound on the 9 May i was 8 weeks and 6 days got my due date 13 Deccember.who is the fater of my baby?
bnmikj, based on the estimated due date of December 13, here is what the conception calculator says:

Probable date of ovulation:  March 22
     Possible dates of conception:  March 18 to 26
     Due date:  December 13 (40 weeks)

In short, if guy A was March 2 and no later, he's not the dad, it's guy B.
Hello, I am really worried about conception and although this is going to sound like I am really one sided from all the evidence I have gathered, I am still worried so would like a second opinion as I did have my first ultrasound late.

I found out I was pregnant and did not know how far along I was. But on my first ultrasound, I was 23 weeks and 3 days giving me a due date of 14th July 2014.

I then went for another ultrasound a week later and i was 24 weeks and 6 days giving me a due date of 10th July 2014.

I also had an ultrasound the other week to check my growth and it corrilated and i was 29 weeks and 6 days with the same due date of 10th July 2014.

These dates mean my probable conception was 17th October, so a window of 15th - 22nd October.

I had sex with someone other than my boyfriend 7th Novemeber just once.

How much chance is there that it was the other man I got pregnant too? That would give me a due date of 31st July which is 21 days than my previous due date, if that also means i concieved the exact day I had sex with him (this was also late night, going into 8th November)

I was almost sure but still abit worried, until today I got my fundal height measured which measured 29cm (29 weeks) which would indicate it was 7th November but surely the 3 ultrasound scans although late, were more accurate than a late fundal height? I have another ultrasound scan next week to check the growth but should I be worried about the fundal height or only be worried if the ultrasound shows small, and even if it is small could that just mean a small baby or could it mean I am only 29 weeks instead of 32?

Thank you to whoever read this and answered much appreciated!
Hi, little.  Don't worry about the fundal height or about the late ultrasound next week, all of your ultrasounds are really too late to pinpoint anything but especially they will be more so the later they are.

Even though your first ultrasound was so late, and it has a margin for error of a couple of weeks, it does not quite push conception as late as November 7.  But you really are going to have to get a DNA test when the baby is born, for everyone's sake especially yours.  I am sorry you didn't have an early ultrasound, that is the only way you could have relaxed entirely about this issue, but it does sound like the chances are very high the baby is your boyfriend's, so try to relax as much as you can.  Get the test, though.
Thanks for that Annie, yes I have discussed it with both of the potential fathers and we are trying to get it done as soon as possible as they really wants to know and will be there which I should be pleased about. I know, I couldn't believe I was so far along when I went for the scan but so far i've had 3 ultrasounds that all correlated, and the other possible father and I am quite petite and my mother has had 7lbs babies so I wouldn't think my baby would be measuing 3 weeks ahead on all measurements from each ultrasound, my consultant said to me 'the conception dates look right' but I still have the doubt and having 8 weeks to go is making it go even slower! I am also useless with my periods and was on the pill a few months prior and under stress so i'm not good for the dates although I normally start my period around the 23rd of each month but know I did not come on my period around the end of October at all. Thank you for your help :)
Hi Annie. Sally again. I got an exact due date, July 23rd and estimated how far long she she is right now 31 weeks. I hope that this helps. :)
Hi, Sally, it doesn't pinpoint anything if the 31st week ultrasound was the one that gave her July 23.  But if she got an early ultrasound that gave her the July 23 date, it does help.

Could you do me a favor when you post, and recap things just a little?  It's hard for me to be sure I'm finding all of your posts, to connect the dots.  Just say the date of the sex you're worried about, when the ultrasound was that gave the due date, and how far along she was in weeks when she got the ultrasound that gave her the due date in weeks, when you post about this.  Either that, or start a new thread with that info at the top, so any further information, all that you'd have to do is put it at the bottom and I can scroll up and down to easily see how it all fits.

The best news is that 31 weeks means your wait is almost over.  The DNA test will clarify everything.  I don't remember if I've said this, but please be sure to insist on the test being done at a certified lab, not with a Walgreen's test.

....  sally here again. I'm pretty sure that she found out on the first ultrasound and gave the 23 of july. I think. cuz she told my boyfriend back in december that she was 8 in a half weeks, so I'm just going by that. but, not sure if that's when she was told. it could be another one. we don't know how many she has had. what is the total of them that u can have? ultrasounds that is? yes. he's going to get legal advice tomorrow. and see where he can go with this. what are his rights, etc. and possibly line up a lawyer and have to go that way. he didn't want to, but he has no choice as she won't tell him nuthin. no contact since january. but, yes. he'll make sure that it's done through the courts for the bloodwork  to be done at the lab. I wonder how long it will take though? we wanna know soon. thank u for helping as much as u can. :) it has helped lots.  and I will keep u posted as to who is the father. if it was her ex, my man, or sumone else. she claims it's my hubby's, so we'll see I guess.  ok. thanks again and i'll keep in touch. ;)

annie, could u be possible to give me the ovulation date, conception, etc like u did before, but using july 23rd, this time instead of the 20th? please?
sally, here is a link to a good conception calculator.  
http://www.baby2see.com/conception_calculator.html

Sally here. K. Thanks Annie. :) This is what it gives me.

Results:  

First Day of Last Menstrual Period:  October 16, 2013

Probable Date of Ovulation:  October 30, 2013

Possible Dates of Conception:  October 26 to November 3, 2013

Due Date:  July 23, 2014 (40 weeks)

Well, if everything your boyfriend says is correct, it sounds like he has nothing to worry about.  He can take the test with good grace and without worry.

That's the thing Annie.  he's tellin me this. but, is it true? who knows. he's lied about sleepin with her, so what makes me think that he's tellin the truth? now? right? if he only had sex with her between the beginning of October to the 19th like he said, then I guess that it is not his baby then. but, she's saying it is. so, he'll just have to do dna tests and that's it. the truth will come out. eventually. see, we were having problems even in the end of September, but he claims that he did not do anything until October. so, we'll see I guess. who's lyin and who's tellin the truth I guess. Because like I said, if she had that ultrasound December 16th, 2013 and gave her  at 8 in a half weeks and an EDD for july 23rd, then u said that would help. But if it was another ultrasound that put her at july, then I do not know. What I do know is this, the due date that was given and how far long she is now.  which is 31 weeks and due the middle of july. so, I guess that i'll just have to wait and see after the tests are done. that's all. Ok. Thanks Annie. u've been a big help. :)  I will let him know that all the information that I have given you, that it's very unlikely that it is his child. ok. I will keep u posted. ;) and thanks again. :O)
Question:
First day of LMP- April 15th
Had sex with ex boyfriend April 20th. (the last day of period)
Took an ovulation test on April 27th and I was fertile that day. (meaning ovulation in 24-48 hours)
Had sex with my current boyfriend (oops) On the 27th and 28th.
Positive Preg test on May 16th.
Is there any possibility this pregnancy can be ex boyfriends, given there were about 9 days before ovulation? And my period had literally JUST ended??
Thanks guys!!!

I'd have to say it's the current guy. sorry. but, let anniebrooke confirm. good luck! ;)
Hey Annie.
My LMP was Feb 19th It usually last 4-5 days.
I had unprotected sex between the days of Mar 3rd-7th with my boyfriend. Well Mar 12th I had unprotected sex with an Ex. I started drinking Geritol the 13th to help concieve (conceive) with my boyfriend.  I found out I got my first positive pregnancy test Mar 19th. Well both my ultrasounds say I'm due on the 27th or 29th of November. I'm curious to know could the Geritol help make me fertile and gotten me pregnant the 13th by my ex since it makes you fertile. & could I have found out I was pregnant 8 days after my ex?
When were the ultrasounds that gave you the dates of November 27 or 29?  The conception calculator I checked said March 6 or March 8 for conception, but if the ultrasounds were much past the 8th or 9th week of pregnancy, there is a margin for error in those numbers of +/- a week or more.  The Geritol won't have anything to do with anything, it is just a vitamin supplement with a lot of iron.  
I got my ultrasound the 5th & 6th week of pregnancy. My nurse told me my due date was November 27th. My Dr said it was the 29th but when I told my nurse she said he didn't change it so it was still the 29th.
I had 1 more question is it possible to find out ibwas pregnant 8 days after unprotected sex? I took a test the day my cycle was due. It came out positive.
I'm sorry the nurse said my due date was still the 27th of November not the 29th.
Yes, it is possible to get a positive on a pregnancy test only 8 days after sex, but it would be a pretty good pregnancy test to pick it up that early, and you'd have to have had super concentrated urine.  If you used First Response Early Results, and hadn't peed for 10 hours, I'd say maybe.  But otherwise it would be pretty surprising if the result came from sex 8 days before.  It sounds like you squeaked it, by only a few days, and that the second guy was too late by less than a week.  But this is not something I'd take to the bank, I would do a DNA test after the baby is born just to never have to wonder again.
I used a dollar store test. And I took it around 8 that night. I was hoping since I found out on the 19th I got pregnant around the 4th or 6th. My nurse used a "wheel" & said I conceived on the 5th. She said between the 4th& 6th. I had an early ultrasound that put me at Nov. 27th... All the calculations I got put it with my bf & not my ex. I just didn't realize how close it was.
Actually, the Dollar Store tests are pretty sensitive.  But you're genuinely in a place where a DNA test needs to be the final answer.  In your shoes because of how early your ultrasounds were, I'd go through the pregnancy pretty relaxed about the question, small margins or not, but I would definitely test in the end.
Hey Annie. My name is Jani and I am 11 weeks and six days along according to ultrasound but there is a problem. I had sex 2 times in March when conception and ovulation  occured. The days for March were March 12th on a period(I was very clean during intercourse, no blood at all to be honest) and the 24th of March. The doctors gave the date of March 21 for the date of conception I guess. The problem is although I did have sex around that time the guy did not come in me also I had sex the 24th where the guy did infact come in me on purpose. I am not sure why the 21st came up but I need help understanding this date. Why this date if there was no present sperm?????

Please help....
Hi, Jani, you need to tell in your information why it was that someone told you that your conception date was March 21.  A lot of times the doctors tell someone they are x weeks along, not that they conceived x weeks ago (there is a difference.)  Can you tell your story like this:

Had my period start on ___ day
Had sex with guy #1 on March 12
Had sex with guy #2 on March 24
Am pregnant, found out from (home test, blood test) on (date)
Have had an ultrasound at 11 weeks 6 days on (date on the calendar)
They said my due date was (date)
My LMP was October 28, 2013 . I was ovulating the 14th, 15th, and 16th of November. I had unprotected sex November 17th with someone and November 29th with someone else. I was suppose to start my period November 28th and didn't' by the 29th my breasts were really tender. I had an ultrasound March 4, 2014 that calculated me at 16 weeks with a due date of August 17th and conception date of November 24th. Which guy, (the November 17th or November 29th), do you most believe is the father?
Annie,

I also took 2 home pregnancy tests December 15th that both came back positive.
It sounds like the guy on November 29th has a little better chance, but with your ultrasound being in your 16th week, it is not going to be as reliable for dating as if it had been in your sixth week.  Are your cycles irregular?
Yes they are about 31 days a part but come different days toward the end of the month. May I ask why you feel the guy on the 29th has a better chance? We had sex using protection until ejaculation but we did have a second round without protection but not ejaculation. The guy on Nov 17th was without protection and flat out ejaculated inside me. Does that make a difference?
Hi Annie, my LMP was Oct 5th 2013. I had sex on Oct 9th 2013 with guy A and on Oct 15th with guy B, both unprotected. I had transvaginal ultrasound on Nov 20th 2013 which gave me 7weeks GA and due date of Jul 9th 2014. Another transvaginal ultrasound on Dec 6th 2013 which gave 9 weeks 1 day GA and due date of Jul 10th 2014. My cycle length is 28 days. Do you think I can say that guy B is the father without DNA test?
Hi, Karen, it does sound like guy B.  But since this is life-changing information for both guys and the baby and for you, you should get the DNA test done when the baby is born.
Hi, MH:

As I said, you can't be sure of much if you are trying to date a pregnancy by an ultrasound done in the 16th week.  It sounds like the guy on November 29th has a little better chance just based on the conception date given by the ultrasound tech being November 24, which is closer to the 29th than the 17th.  But with your ultrasound being in your 16th week, well, it's easily a toss-up.  (As early as the 12th week, some doctors will say +/- 7 days when using an ultrasound for dating purposes.)  Whether one guy full-out ejaculated and the other guy just put a penis back in that had sperm on it, doesn't make any difference.  All you can really do is get a DNA test.
hi i had my period on 31august kept on bleeding for  2wks straight so i went to the doctor an had an ultrasound done on 30september an found out i was pregnant an had a miscarriage.He said i was about 9wks pregnant.After my miscarriage i was looking forward to seeing my period but it never came so i was worried i took a hpt on 19october an it was positive.On 8january i had an ultrasound an found out i am 13wks 4days pregnant.I want to kno cus i had an affair on the 12october wit my first baby father my due date is 12july.Was that the day i got pregnant trying to figure out if he is responsible for my pregnancy am carrying nw?
If you are due July 12, you would have conceived in mid-October.  This is not surprising after a miscarriage, the body is said to be very fertile after the loss of a baby and it is not at all unusual to conceive again right after miscarrying.  Did you have sex with anyone else in October besides your first baby father?
yes i did wit my boyfriend
my boyfriend an i started having intercourse from 6october an everyday after that i jus had a fling wit my child fadda on 12october an nw he thinks my pregnancy is his.
If you were having sex with one guy from October 6 on, and had it with the other guy on October 12, it is not going to be possible to know for sure which guy is the dad until the baby is born and you get a DNA test, since sperm from both guys would be in your system at the same time.  Your ultrasound in your 13th week is too late to pinpoint the conception date -- did you have one earlier in the pregnancy by any chance?  By the 13th week the date is 'plus or minus a week' when it comes to dating conception, which in your case leads to a range of the 12th through the 26th of October.  

Hello Annie. Sally here again. How are ya? Well, I thought that I'd write to u and let u know, that they are probably inducing that girl tomorrow. She has high blood pressure. Is that true? Or, is she further along then? Her due date is July 23rd. From what she has told people. Was just curious. Cuz I'm wondering, if she got pregnant in Sept then , if that's the case. Any feedback would be great Annie. Thank u. :)
Your partner can get the DNA test really soon now, puzzling over every new piece of information is not going to get you anything but grey hairs.

Yes. He's gotta get legal advice, then get a lawyer. how long does tests take? if it's court ordered? or, sumthing else? I know. he haven't even see her at all since February, so we don't even know if she really is pregnant. it's all hear say. but, from what we're told, she's big and she's definitely preggo. and has been for awhile. so, that's all we got for now. she claims it's his, so yes. he will have to get a patermhty and go from there. I hope soon though, cuz I can't wait anymore. I need to know where I stand. it's been killing me for 9 months now and I just wanna know the truth. ok. thanks annie. yes. I am 43 years old and I already have grey. lol but, thanks. i know what u mean. I am getting more. not good. this stress.
Hi there Annie. My boyfriend is listening to hearsay that i have slept with another guy 6 weeks ago. Which is a load of bs  it was back in April time. My last period was on 4th june  2014 lasted five days. Bd with bf on fertilty days 11 june and 14 june ovulated on 16 june or poss 17 if a day late. Took a hpt on 28 june bfp took another on 29 to confirm bfp . I just want him to understand the dates add up to be his i havent slept with anyone else in the month for it to be the other guys. I had my previous period on 9th of may. I have a 7 week ultrasound on 16 july because i miss carried last time just want to prove to him he is the childs farther
Good luck.  You might do yourself a favor to pick up one of the good books on pregnancy such as "Your Pregnancy Week By Week" or to look up a good pregnancy website, and get the official explanation for him of why doctors count a pregnancy as beginning on the first day of your last period.  In other words, if a person is "9 weeks pregnant" by the doctor's count, they are only 7 weeks since conception.  It would probably help him to hear this from an official and disinterested source, like a book or a doctor, rather than from you.
hi annie,

my wife is pregnant now 4 to 5 weeks,she gets irregular periods,she said last periods she got on 30,31 and small dots on 1st june. we had sex on early morning 19 june around 3am. doctors telling she is around 5 weeks pregnant. i try to find conceive date online it say june 13 and some site says june 14. kindly clarify me.

regards,
Hi, Vimal.  Until the doctors can give her an estimated due date from an ultrasound, you wouldn't be able to get the dates more pinned down.  Calculators on the web compute an automatic 14 days between the woman's last period and conception, but a computer does not know for sure when a real woman (your wife) actually ovulated.  Many women ovulate rather early or rather late in their cycle compared to the average that the computer uses.  And a doctor saying four to five weeks or about five weeks is just giving an estimate.

Once the doctor views the embryo on the ultrasound, which you might ask that she have done in her seventh week (two or three weeks from now), he or she will give you and your wife an estimated due date.  The way to think about this is that if conception is on a certain day, the doctor looks at the embryo's size and developmental markers and counts forward 266 days to get to an estimated due date, and counts backward 14 days to get to the computed first day of her last period.  

Once the embryo is seen and measured in an ultrasound and the doctor gives an estimated due date based on that measurement, from her estimated due date you can count back 266 days and that will give you the estimated conception date.
Hi Annie,

Thank you for your reply, as u said i will try to find, if i can't then i will ask your help,

regards,
vimal
Hi Annie,

The first days of my last two menstural cycles were oct 3rd and then nov26-29ish. I can't remember the exact first day of my last one. Both periods lasted for about 5 days each and I was on the pill previously so I could choose when I wanted to have my period. I had sex with one guy on the 22nd of November,un protected, but he pulled out and I showered immediately after.  The next morning I took like 4 of my birth control pills and then took two for the next couple days. I had constant sex with my husband starting dec 3rd. Only him sometimes multiple times a day, unprotected, and he always came  inside. I didn't have a period since the one in November but did take home pregnancy tests but were all negative til one in April. I didn't know I was pregnant since the test were negative so I did drink and smoke hookah occasionally.  I didn't get a dating ultrasound until April. The first one gave me an estimated delivery date of 2 sept. However when I went for another one, from a military hospital, the radiologist said my due date was 12 sept 2014. Is there any chance that the guy I had sex with on the 22nd of November is the father?
Hi, Vimal,

Don't worry.  "About" five weeks is pretty early for the doctor to be saying anything about dating anything, even with an ultrasound.  If he knew anything, he would be saying "5 weeks 3 days" or "4 weeks 6 days," not vague generalities.  It is certainly not the kind of statement to base a worry on.

The best ultrasound for assessing the baby's due date is one done in the 7th week (all of these "weeks" numbers are counted from the first day of the last period), so if your wife gets an ultrasound then, or in the 6th week (not earlier) or the 8th week, that will be the most helpful for your question.  Simply ask the doctor at that time for the estimated due date based on the measurements of the embryo and its developmental markers.  [If you then go home and privately key the estimated due date into a conception calculator, that is your business.  :)  Are you suspecting your wife's fidelity?  There is nothing you have posted so far that casts suspicion on it.  The doctor was being very casual in saying four to five weeks, and "about" five weeks.  Don't build a case on that.  It has also been my experience that wives in your part of the world are very faithful.]  

Stay calm.  I hope to hear back from you.

Annie
Hi, Chelbel.  No, there is no chance.  The guy from November was from two weeks to a month too early.  You had a period in between.  The shower doesn't count for anything (never kid yourself that taking a shower after sex impresses the sperm swimming up your Fallopian tubes) but those other two points carry the day.
hi Annie,

Thank you for your message, I'm not suspecting my wife but i want peace of mind. i will follow as you said and let you know. once again thank you for your support.

regards,
vimal.
Hi, Vimal,

I also send you a private message.  

Annie
WHOS THE FATHER help!!!!!  HAd an ultrasound it says I'm 5 weeks and 3 days my due date is march 28 ...  Lmp was July 22  ... I need to know when I most likely conceived ... I had sex on July 5th with my ex .. And on July 13th with now my new man .... Can anyone help me who you think it is...
I meant my LMP was on June 22th not July ...
Hi, P2ouble77, here is what the conception calculator I use says for the due date of March 28, at least when the ultrasound giving the due date was this early in the pregnancy.  I assume that you had the ultrasound more than a week ago?

Computed first day of last menstrual period:  June 21
     Probable date of ovulation:  July 5
     Possible dates of conception:  July 4 to 7
     Due date:  March 28 (40 weeks)

All I can suggest is that you get another ultrasound right away, from a good ob-gyn not the ER, and see if you come up with the same estimated due date.  If you do this and get the same due date, I'd have to say it looks like you are pregnant by your ex.  I assume that is not what you want, meaning, get the second ultrasound, in case this is somehow wrong.
Thanx..
is it possible that a baby born on November 23 2013 was from a sexual encounter on Febuary 5th 2013?
Hi, scared.  It does not really sound like it.  The conception calculator I use says the conception date would be around March 2, and offers a range of February 26 - March 6.  February 5 being about a month earlier than that, the baby would not be from then.
thank you so much! I am actually asking for my son  This girl and her family keep showing up at my work with this baby calling me granddma I havent slept in 10 months over this  She is my daughter in laws friend and they had a one night stand on feb 5th  I know that sounds bad but he had his first child when he was 17 years old and I am very proud that he has never tried to avoid his duties as a father  she is now 8  This could have destroyed us... Time to heal and move on
Why don't you insist they all have a DNA test and get this over with?  They are available over the counter at places like Walgreen's.  Or, better yet, he could have her served with a summons to do a DNA test at a lab certified by the courts.  That way, it would all be public record.  The main thing is, stop loosing sleep, this is not your problem, in the end.  Except for the showing up at work thing.  For that, there are such things as restraining orders.  But it shouldn't come to that.
Hi, Annie, my period started on February 20th (my period cycle is 28 days) On the 28th of February I had unprotected sex after 40 hours I took Escapelle pill. On March 17th, I had sex again, with my ex, but he did not ejaculate inside me. On March 22nd I got my period (1-2 days late). I hope it was a period, not just bleeding after EC pill. On March 29-30 I had sex with my boyfriend. On April 28th I find out I am 5-6 weeks pregnant (baby's CLR 3mm). On April 30th I did one more ultrasound (CLR 4,9mm and doctor told I am 6weeks and 1 day). Please tell me, is it possible I may have conceived this child because of the sex I had with my ex on March 17th? I read that taking EC delays ovulation and mess up all your cycle. Thank You!!!
ttorabbora, you would have conceived around April 1.  If the last time you had sex with your ex was March 17, he is not the dad, it would be your boyfriend's baby.
Viewing 401-550 comments: