DNA / Paternity Community
Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Viewing 601-734 comments:
I don't think there can be a 4-week difference in ultrasounds.  Your first post you implied that one said 22 weeks and one that said 26, but you corrected it in your next post.  By "cartilage" I assume you mean cerclage?  It sounds like you can have that now, right?  They would not be doing one if you were too late to have the procedure.

Regarding quitting your job in shame, the bosses there owe you at least for your pain and suffering.  Get yourself to a torts/ personal injury attorney and tell what happened.  Don't neglect to mention that they did or didn't give you access to counseling, that you're pregnant now, and that you are going through stress with thinking it might be from that event.  (Whether or not it is, your pain and suffering over the issue are legally significant when trying to put together a claim for medical and therapy.)  If your former employer has any kind of insurance at all, it should pay for your coverage for some counseling help.  If you don't have the money to go to an attorney, call your nearest law school and ask if they have any legal clinics where you can get some help.  I would say that you have a really strong case that the employer should have gotten you both medical care and psychological counseling until you were well.
I've had sexual intercourse with a girl on 8/30/2014 and didn't inform me that she was pregnant until Mid December for whatever reason. But I'm most confident that the date given above is the date that her and I had this specific sex session. But here's the kicker...... She taken a ultrasound on the date 1/12/15 and it said that she was 22w2d into the pregnancy and the numbers don't appear to be adding up to me. her projected due date is 5/15/15. My question is, is she trying to pull a fast one on me or not???? because I've been doing a bit of online research about conception dates and its showing that she conceived wayyyyy before our acquaintance. Please help.

Hi, soldierguy, did she ever have an ultrasound scan in her pregnancy before January 12?  An ultrasound in one's 22nd week can have up to a two week margin for error when used to compute the date of conception.
To the best of my knowledge........she didn't. for whatever reason that was her first ultrasound session and it throws me off so much finding out this late in the game than anything. I'm asking for complete honesty and recommendations from you group members if possible.
With the ultrasound being so late in the pregnancy, using it for dating (given the margin for error) she could have gotten pregnant pretty much from August 8 through the 5th of September. This does put you into the running, though you would possibly feel more sure if her date was about a week earlier, I assume?  Anyway, she might not have contacted you before because she thought the dad was someone else, and only just figured out recently that the dates (even with that wide range) don't make sense for anyone else.

Please keep in mind that when a doctor says someone is "22 weeks" pregnant, he means 20 weeks since conception.  The "weeks" count used by doctors begins on the first day of the woman's last period that she had before getting pregnant, not on the day of conception.

My suggestion, in order to feel a little more in control, is that you find out from the family court, in your local jurisdiction or hers, what labs they have certified to do DNA testing for paternity.  Then when you next are in touch with her, set up a date after the baby is born, possibly after the baby is a month or two old, to go to the lab and do your swab.  Having a concrete plan in place will help you stay calm while you wait for the baby to be born.  

I'm sorry this was a surprise, but in this day and age of available sex, a guy does sometimes have to take a DNA test.  It's the price one pays for what used to be called "getting some."  And for many guys (the ones the DNA test rules out), it's the only price.  Try to drum up a little compassion for the woman, she's not able to think that possibly the test will rule her out, and this means she is trying to work out the responsibility, logistics and the money for raising a child.  I assume it goes without saying that if this is your child, you will not be a scofflaw and a deadbeat.  You don't have to have a relationship with the mother, but you would have a moral obligation to a child of your own.
excuse me, you might feel a little more certain that it was you if her due date was about a week later [not earlier] I assume?
I truly appreciate your time and acknowledgement. Your recommendations and logic thinking are words that i take at heart. Just wanted some sort of perspectives and better understanding since I didn't know how the whole conception system works. You're indeed knowledgeable within this area of specific and would be a tremendous asset to any other. Thank you so much and will most def remember this post.

Will keep in touch web-pal
Please do keep in touch.  If there is any way to do so politely, you might suggest to her that any other possible candidates should also get tested.  But if that is not possible (to say this without giving offense), just be ready for you to get your DNA test with her and the baby.  Go to a certified lab, don't use a drugstore test.  She will probably want to see you do the swab (so you don't send your buddy in your place) and it is a good idea to have a neutral lab tech handling the swabs so no substitutions are suspected from her either.  But once it is done, it is done.  Call the family courts and find out who is certified for this kind of work.  (That is another reason not to use a drugstore test, I don't think they are certified, and if the test came up positive you would just have to test again for the courts.)

Good luck to you, and write back when you get the results.
my ultrasound states that im 9 weeks on feb 11 wen i went to the doctor. but my dd is sep 22 due to my last period is it posible i conceived when i had my period dec 16?
Hi, you didn't conceive when you had your period, you conceived around December 30. (I assume your due date was given to you by an ultrasound?)  Doctors begin the "gestational age" count on the first day of your last period.  If you asked your doc, "Does that mean I conceived on December 16?" he or she would say no, you were having your period.  In the old days before ultrasounds, doctors needed a place to begin the count, and the only marker they had was the first day of bleeding the last time the woman had a period prior to pregnancy.  Women who are regular in their cycles generally ovulate about two weeks after that point.  So, if an ultrasound shows a woman is, for example, 7 weeks pregnant, that would mean 5 weeks since conception, and your doc telling you on a given day that you are 9 weeks pregnant is saying you got pregnant about 7 weeks ago.
Hi Annie

I really need your advise. Im 27 weeks pregnant. i went for an ultrasound and the doctor determined that my due date is 21 May 2015. I had sex on the 3 August 2014 with someone and a few days after that with my boyfriend. I'm not sure on dates. I had my period some time after that too. Not sure of dates either. I'm not sure who the dad could be. Please help
Hi, 22cj, how early in the pregnancy was the ultrasound that gave you the due date?  It doesn't sound like you have a lot to worry about, but I'd like to know when the scan was that pinpointed your due date for the first time.
Hi Annie its 22cj. Sorry i forgot my log in details. I was 23 weeks pregnant when i had my ultrasound and thats when my doctor told me my due date will be 21 May 2015. I had my ultra sound done on 22 January 2015. Is my boyfriend the dad?
It is too bad that you didn't have an ultrasound until so far into the pregnancy, since for purposes of dating, really only early ultrasounds are entirely reliable.  But it still does not sound like the guy you had sex with August 3 (and before you had your period as well) is the likely dad.  
Hi Anne I'm confused. Is the other guy or my bf the dad?
It does not sound like the guy from August 3 is the likely dad, since you had a period after him.
Hi my name is brittany . i need you help.  I found out i was pregnant on december 10 2015. Went to the doctor they said I was 9 weeks and 5 days . I had sex with man A on december 6 he pulled out. On december 10 i got back with my ex. We had sex twice he came in me twice then we also had sex december 12 and he came in me then as well . they said our due date way september 4th. I need to make sure its Man b... i am 16 weeks now . i need help im freaking out
Hi, Brittany.   When did the doctor say you were 9 weeks and 5 days, was it on December 10?
I just want to ask if it is possible. A lady I had sex with on Jan. 30, 2015, did a scan today 02-04-2015, that she is 6weeks2days pregnant. Is it possible. I try to calculate i think it does not add up-

Adex
Hi, Adex, on April 2 she was told she was 6 weeks 2 days?  This is counted from the first day of the last period, or the calculated first day of the last period.  She would have conceived around February 26.  Not January 30.
Hi Annie,

I do hope you are able to assist. I had unprotected sex with my long term boyfriend on 17 January 2015. I believe he withdrew. Events occurred and we broke up. I stupidly had sex with an ex boyfriend on 14/15 February 2015 (it was very late). There was no sex between 17 Jan and 13 Feb. Protection was used but ex is now implying that he may have tampered with the protection. This was said as a passing comment in a later conversation and not as a direct admission. My LMP dates as far as I can tell were 2 Feb 2015 and again on 27 Feb 2015. I had a few marks on or around 25 March 2015 which I believe to be implantation bleeding, no real p came but I felt as if it was going to and so prepared only to find a few marks. Against the odds my boyfriend and I got back together at the end of Feb. I know we definitely had unprotected sex around 6 - 9 March 2015. However, I also have a vague memory that we may have had sex on or just before 26 Feb 2015 just before I came on but I cannot be 100% sure. I know for a fact that I did not have any intercourse after 14/15 Feb until 23 Feb 2015. The reconciliation with my boyfriend happened after 23 Feb. So anyway I have found out I am pregnant. I had an early scan on April 2nd 2015 which says that the GA is consistent with a 4-5 week pregnancy and they dated me at 4 weeks plus 6 days from my LMP. I explained the issue and they said they would not need to see me again as it's consistent with my last LMP dates. I believe my father is my boyfriend but I am of course worried due to suggestions of tampering with the protection. I am looking to have a private scan next at 7 weeks 0 days. However, in the meantime I would be really grateful for your opinion as to paternity. Thanks in advancePat
Hi, Pat, you've already done the best thing which is to discuss this with your doctors.  If you had a scan on April 2 and they dated you 4 weeks 6 days from your first day of your lmp, you have nothing to worry about from the hinted-at tampered-with protection on the 14-15 of February.  You would have conceived around two weeks later than your first day of your lmp  That conception date would be around March 12 or 13.  You would be at least a month further along if the sex on the 15 of February got you pregnant.  There is a big difference on an ultrasound between a fourth- or fifth-week embryo and an eighth- or ninth-week embryo, the doctors would not have confused the two.  Get tested for STDs from your ex and forget about it.
Thank you so much for your comments. I am going to go ahead with the 7 week 1 day scan just to finally put my mind at ease and then hopefully I can start to enjoy this pregnancy. It's my first. :)
Hi I am pregnant I thought my date of conception was 2/17/2015 but my sonogram says I am 10 week and 3 days. I did not have sex on 2/14/2015. I had sex on 2/11/15 with Guy A and i'm pretty sure he pulled out. I had sex with my kids father on 2/17 and with Guy A again on 2/20 which one could be my babys daddy and could the sono B wrong.

Hi Annie I have a question. So my due date by my dr is Oct 28th my ultra sounds read for my due date to be Oct 24 and or 26th. My dilemma is I had protected sex on the Jan 23rd with my ex I wasn't informed til after I became pregnant that the condom broke so he says well on the early morning of Jan 31 I had sex with a guy I had been talking to for a few months after leaving the bar we used no protection but took a plan b at 11 am Jan 31 and I waited for my period to arrive around Feb 13 I had my LMP on Jan 13. We are going to do DNA testing soon but its eating me alive do you have an idea of who's baby this could be??
When you did your earliest ultrasound, what week did they tell you that you were in (was it before your 9th week?) and which due date did they give you at that earliest ultrasound?  It would be most reliable for trying to determine a conception date.
my earliest ultrasound was MAR 9th I measured 6 wks and 5 days and  my ultrasound read due date of OCT 28th before the ultra sound they went by my LMP and told me I was supposed to be 8 wks that day so my dr was worried about the growth because it wasn't measuring up to my ultrasound meaning I was measuring smaller she scheduled another one for APRIL 1st at that ultrasound I measured 10 wks 2 days on one picture and 10 wks 4 days on another reading due dates of OCT 24 and 26th and baby was right on track with growth she said.
measuring up to my LMP I meant.
sorry still figuring this website out idk if I have to put your name for you to get a notification of my reply because I didn't put it on my last message
Sounds like the first guy was too early to be the dad.  The second guy would be a bit early as well, but not out of the range because of the long life of sperm in the woman's system.  Plan B has something like a 1 in 8 chance of failing to work, so having taken it is no guarantee.
Would you be able to repeat the question but putting in the estimated due date they gave you from the sono, and also saying when you had the sono that you are wondering if it could be wrong?  
well I haven't had sex since the Jan 31st so would you assume it being him rather than my ex being that my second ultra sound read due dates of Oct 24 and 26th?
Hi, gem, my question just above was directed to Kira1986.  this is what happens when many people use the same thread.  lol

Regarding your timing, I think the second guy is much more likely to be the dad.  If you need me to line it all up and explain it, I can.  
Okay my sonogram was taken on 414/15 and it said i was 10 weeks and 3 days. I was trying to see could the sono be wrong and whose would it be.
Okay my sonogram was taken on 4/14/15 and it said i was 10 weeks and 3 days. I was trying to see could the sonogram be wrong and whose would it be.  Guy A doesn't have kids and he didn't think he could. My kids Father didn't pull out and according to my period tracker my ovulation date was on Feb 18 and we had sex on the 16th or the 17th. Then with Guy A again on the 20th. According to what I think is my date of conception I would be 10 weeks and 1 day today. but the sonogram puts my date of conception on Feb 14 and  I did have sex on that day. Which one could it be. I need to know. I don't plan on keeping it if I cant figure this out
Hi, Kira,

Here is what I think you are saying, except that in one of your posts you said you did not have sex on the 14th and in the other you said you did have sex on the 14th.  I'll assume the second one and put it together like this:

had sex 2/11 with Guy A, pretty sure he pulled out (no condom?)
had sex [with _?_] on 2/14
sex with your kids' father 2/17
sex with Guy A again 2/20  

You ask, 'could the sono B wrong.'

You're right, your sonogram indicates the 14th as the day of conception, and if you could be certain of the sono's usefulness, Guy A would be most strongly in the running, since his sperm (I'm assuming unprotected sex here -- whether he pulled out is not unfortunately enough to prevent pregnancy) can live in your system 5-6 days after sex, and sex with your kids' dad would be too late to produce a pregnancy on the 14th.  

HOWEVER, your sono was too late in the pregnancy to guarantee pinpoint accuracy.  

By the time a woman is in her 12th week, because of variations from average in the growth rate of embryos, if using a sono to date conception, doctors will often name a margin for error of as wide as a week -- they will say, +/- 7 days.  At 10w3d, the margin is not that wide, but it is possible to have a +/- 3 or 4 day margin for error in your 10th week when using a sono to date conception.  

This would mean you might have conceived as early as the 10th or as late as the 18th.  This doesn't help you very much with your dilemma.

Also, if you had sex on the 14th with a guy who was not the one from the 11th,  either guy's sperm could have been the one that got you pregnant.  

Counting from your last period doesn't give enlightenment, because ovulation leads into the process and the period ends it, a period doesn't lead into a process and create ovulation.  In other words, a period will reliably come 14 or 15 days after ovulation if you aren't pregnant, but when the next ovulation will come can vary.  If your cycles are regular enough to set your watch by, like, every 28 days you get your next period, then you might be able to rely on that as a signal you ovulate at day 14, but otherwise it is not a useful sign.  Some women can go weeks and weeks between cycles, and it is because the body waits to ovulate until it feels like it, not because it ovulated two weeks after the last period and the period waited and waited.  Periods come pretty reliably two weeks after ovulation, if a woman is irregular in her cycles it's because her ovulation is whenever, not because her period is.

There are two labs that can do (very costly) work (a blood draw from the woman's arm and a swab from the man) to find out who the father is before the baby is born.  If you have $1,700 to $2,000 for this, you would be able to find out for sure.   (Unfortunately, most women aren't in the position to be able to do this.)  If you want to do it, pm me and I'll tell you about the two reliable labs and caution you about the bunch of them that are not reliable.

I understand you not planning to keep the baby if the wrong guy is the dad, and assume that since you already have children, you aren't wanting to have them watch you be pregnant and then put the baby up for adoption after a DNA test is done when the baby is born.  But I do want to put in a small plea from one who has struggled with infertility to carefully consider adoption before making a fast decision, especially since you would be ending the pregnancy without knowing for sure who the father is.  I am pro-choice, and know that people who think all kids are a blessing will make frustrating and pious speeches to women who are truly pretty much out of options, in terms of raising children they can't afford emotionally or financially.  I trust you know what you can handle.  But if there is any possibility that you could go through the pregnancy and put the baby up for adoption if the DNA test proved the wrong guy to be the dad, the waiting adoptive parents would remember you in their prayers the rest of their days.

Good luck, your decision is not an easy one because with the dates this close together, there can be no certain answer.
Unless, of course, you had a sonogram in your 6th or 7th week that you didn't mention.  If so, we might be able to figure out who is the likelier dad.
Hi Annie,
It's Pat again from my earlier post re: implied tampered condom. I had my other ultrasound yesterday and they dated me I was 7 weeks 2 days and said it was consistent with my LMP date of 27 Feb. The measurement was 11.4mm CRL. It also adds up with a scan I had on 2nd April which dated me at 4 weeks 6 days. But then I have discovered that the internet is not my friend, there's so many stories about ultrasounds (including early ones) being wrong by about 2 weeks etc!! I've also seen posts where people have said that they have had three scans and all dates were wrong! :( The other possible conception date would have been 14 Feb. In your experience do you think there is any way this pregnancy could have been conceived from the sex on 14 February?? I did explain the issue to the sonographer and she said the ultrasound could be off by a week either way. She did say she didn't think it was from Feb but none of them seem willing to say definitely not possible. I'm just really looking for reassurance that there is no way it could be from 14 Feb.
Thank you
You would be at least a month further along if the sex on the 15 of February got you pregnant.
hello Annie.am mark from kenya, my girlfriend is pregnant for 5M and 1W now.  My girlfriend and I are living away from each other due to school stuf. My girlfriend just confessed to me that she cheated on me with her ex boyfi sex a few weeks before I came to visit her back home. I was with her on the 10th of Nov 2014 to 15th Nov 2014 and made love all those days.  After I  was gone, again she had sex with her ex 1 week after i left for school.  I now want to  know whose baby is this.  when school closed and i was home for holidays she experienced blood discharge fro her vagina so I took her for  vaginal scan (because had a spot bleeding) tht was on the 24th March 2015 and as per the ultra sound scan it was 4 Months and 2weeks, the doc told us that we have to sub 1 week from the scanning date to get the date she will get the bby.  That said, am getting convinced that this might be my daughter but she claims its her ex ,am very worried and scared because she now wants to move in with her ex claiming she is doing the right thing by living me. she has even rejected the doctors date of concieving that was 21st Aug this yr..she claims she will be conceiving on 11th Aug n not 21st as per the scan results.Please help me on this.  I am really banking on your reply.
Hi, Mark.  Here is the problem.  Unless she had an ultrasound in her 7th or 8th week (and this means 7th or 8th from her first day of her last period, not from the presumed date of conception), it is really not very useful to try to figure out a conception date from an ultrasound scan.  All babies begin as one cell, and they split into 2 on the next day, and 4 on the next day after that, and so on at a relatively standard rate, but by the time week 8 or 9 comes around, some embryos will begin to grow or develop more quickly or more slowly than the average.  So by the time she is '4 months 2 weeks' (I assume this means 18 weeks) from her first day of her last period, the margin for error when using an ultrasound to try to figure out when conception was can be as much as a week or two either direction.  

In short, only a DNA test will tell you who the father is.  It is too late to tell from an ultrasound.

If she had an ultrasound in her 7th week, and if they told her a due date at that time which was computed only from the embryo's size and developmental markers, you could use it to try to make this kind of assessment.  But not one done in her 4th month.

I don't know the law in Kenya, but in the United States I believe it would be possible to see an attorney and force a DNA test for paternity, once the baby is born.  It might be worth you speaking to a lawyer to see if you have that right.
hi annie my name is Julie and I will be 10 weeks tomorrow (April 28th) My OBGYN determined that my due date is November 23rd, 2015. my problem is which it may not even be a problem BUT I had sex with Guy A on Feb. 1st and 5th and i am pretty sure he didnt come in me well then i had my period on Feb. 16th-20th and I had sex with Guy B on Feb. 19th, 20th, 26th and also the 2nd of March and Guy B did *** in me all 4 times.. which one is the father
How did your ob-gyn get to the due date of November 23, was it by an ultrasound?  If so, guy B is the dad.
He did a Transvagianl ultrsound on me when I was 5 weeks and thats the due date he gave me.. So Guy B?  
Well, you sure didn't get pregnant in early February.  If you only had sex with Guy A on February 1 and 5 and then not after that (and don't forget, it was well before your period, which did come), then he is not the dad.
Hi Annie,

I really need clarification. I've been working out my dates on the basis of the dating scan telling me i was 11wk1d pregnant on the 13.04.15 which I thought meant i conceived on 25.01.15. However reading this thread I'm now confused as to how the conception dates work. I'm not aware of the date of my lmp and I've had periods every month during the pregnancy resulting in me just finding out about my pregnant. The problem is i was with guy A on 21.01.15 and guy B on the 24-25.04.15 and then guy A on the 05.02.15. I thought counting back 11wks1d and landing on the 24th meant that it was Guy B's probably. However reading the above posts seems to suggest that its more than likely to be guy B correct? Or do our dating scans work differently in the UK?

Thank you for your help.
One thing that definitely works differently in Britain is the use of the month, day and year in numbers.  In the U.S., we use a month, day, year format, so for example, May 1 would be written 5-1-2015 (or 05-01-2015).  I hope I get the translations right.  If you want to be sure I understand you completely, write out the month so I won't mistake January 5 for May 1.  lol

I assume you are saying, you were told on April 13 that you were 11 weeks and 1 day pregnant, from information gleaned from the ultrasound scan of the embryo.  You're wondering if that means you got pregnant 11 weeks 1 day ago, or if that count begins on the (assumed) first day of your last period and not on the estimated ovulation date.

When a doctor, nurse, utrasound technician, or even medical textbook says x weeks x days "pregnant," they use the traditional medical way of counting out pregnancy, which begins on the first day of the woman's last period that she had before getting pregnant.  This is because historically that is the only big signal a doctor had to go on, not because anyone thinks you were pregnant on the first day of your period.  Ultrasounds have only come widely into use relatively recently as far as obstetrics is concerned.  Before that, the only thing a doc could do was ask a woman when she had her last period, and begin the clock there.  

This form of counting, confusing as it is for everyone, is how pregnancies are timed even today.  Two weeks after the period, the assumption goes, the woman would ovulate.  Obviously a lot of women are not on the dot with the two-week interval, but that is the traditional counting method (called the GA or gestational age).  If an ultrasound were to see a baby and identify it as a certain size, and the woman's cycles were irregular and she hadn't had a period in a long time, the ultrasound would just measure the embryo and say the baby was consistent in size with a baby whose mom's first day of her last period was on a certain date, two weeks before ovulation.

If you were told on April 13 that your GA was 11 weeks and 1 day, that was like being told that the ultrasound suggests you got pregnant 9 weeks and 1 day ago.  (Did they give you an estimated due date?  It is easier to understand and compute these things from the e.d.d. than from weeks and days.)  

Anyway, 9 weeks 1 day back from April 13 suggests you conceived around February 8.  The margin for error when using an eleventh-week ultrasound to try to determine conception is about +/- 6 days, in other words, the dating could be spot-on or it could be that divergent, due to the different growth rates of embryos.  So, your range for getting pregnant from this would be around February 2 through 14, and let's not forget that (if the sex was unprotected), you could have had sex with someone as early as January 26 or 27 and the sperm could (theoretically) still be alive in your system and viable from that sex and get you pregnant on February 2.

That doesn't stretch back to January 21.  It does (tentatively) rule in the second guy as a possibility (I am assuming that where you wrote "24-25.04.15" you meant January 24-25 and not April 24-25).  It also rules in the guy on February 5.  That is especially true if the sex was unprotected.

Did you have sex with anyone after February 5?  Is the baby a girl?

Did you ever get assurance from the 7 week scan? My dates and situation are very similar to yours. DD of Dec 3 based on Ultra Sound at 6 week 5 day. LMP (which wasn't really regular, and only spotted one day) put my due date at 11/27. Breakups, hoopups etc Im extremely stressed about my situation. If DD is correct and Conception is 3-7 and on Im in the clear!
Hi Annie,

So, this is my situation. I have 35-days cycle period, but im not too regular. My post-ovulation period has always been between 14-15 days; meaning that I ovulate not earlier than 18cd to 24cd. I was trying to conceive with my partner (GUY A) for years but he was diagnosed with low sperm count, so we were having infertility problems. Because of that, I am tracking my body every month, I am not using any contraceptive method, and taking fertility vits. This month was crazy because we were having a lot of issues with guy A, and I ended up by having sporadic affairs with my ex boyfriend (guy B). So those are the events:

April 15 (cd1). First day of my period
April 22 (cd8). Sex with B, quick penetration, he did not finish at all.
May 2 (cd18). Sex with A, he finished inside.
May 4-5 (cd 20-21). I was very wet, which is my symptom of ovulation
May 9-10 (cd 25-26). Sex with B, withdrawal method, again the penetration only lasted few seconds!

May 18 (cd 34) I found out I was pregnant on a HPT, the line popped out almost inmediatly (high HCG?).

May 22 (cd 38) Blood test positive.

May 23 (cd 39) The ultrasound found NO gestational sac yet. They said it may be too early. (what does it mean?)

I have to take another sono. I think the dad is A (I HOPE!), but I need reassurance otherwise I will get crazy. I don't want to carry a baby of my ex at all.

- I ruled out conception on the cd8, because in that case I think the sono would have detected a sac!
- I ruled out conception on the 25 or 26 coz I don't think the HTP would detect such strong and quick line only 9days after conception. Besides, even for me it sounds like a very late ovulation.

Does it make sense or am I delusional? some help please ! :(

Have you ever done temperature tests or directly tested with an ovulation test kit and found an exact correlation between being "very wet" and your LH surge?  Changes in cervical mucus come before ovulation, they don't only happen on the day you ovulate.

I agree that the sex on cycle day 8 is out.  You clearly don't ovulate early, and you would have seen a baby on the ultrasound on cycle day 39 if you conceived then.

You're saying it has got to be guy A's baby from sex on May 2, cycle day 18, assuming you ovulated on May 4 or 5, cycle day 20/21, even though you are sometimes irregular.  It's not implausible.  However, you and guy A have had trouble conceiving even though you have tried, and also, it does seem a little as though if you had conceived on cycle day 20/21, you would have seen something in the ultrasound on cycle day 39.  

You had unprotected sexual contact on May 9/10, which you rule out because it was cycle day 25/26 (i.e., too late if being wet was an accurate signal of actual ovulation).  Also because your partner did not release, and because you got a positive on cycle day 34 on a home test.  

Gotta say, your partner not releasing does not mean that much.  Sperm can hang around in the urethra a while and come out with pre-ejacuatory fluid.  I suppose by now, he would not be able to tell you if he had had an ejaculation in the hours before you and he had sex?  (Guys are not prone to want to volunteer that they a) had sex or b) masturbated before their date with the now-pregnant woman even if they could remember, which they usually can't.)   You also can't rule out the sex with guy B as producing the pregnancy based on a home test picking up a pregnancy nine days later.  It really depends on how concentrated your urine was, or how dehydrated you were.  Tests these days are pretty sensitive.  Just based on the information you have now, I would not rule out the sex on May 9/10 quite yet.

Can you do your next ultrasound the week after next at the latest?  I would tell them you are irregular and seem to ovulate late anyway, so you want them to base the estimated-due-date calculation on the size and developmental markers of the baby only, not on the first day of your lmp.  Then take home the estimated due date and put it into a conception calculator.

Write back when you get your next ultrasound.  They should be able to give you much more precise information then.
Hi annie

I met my girlfriend on the 16 of january while on a world trip. I stayed with her until the 7. of february and we had unprotected intercourse on the 21. of january.
We held a long distance relationship and she told me around the 15.2 that she was pregnant. I returned straight away.

now were both happy with the news and we want the baby to be ours, but she had another boyfriend until we met.
They had intercourse once on the 10.1 and he pulled out.

we visited the doctor on the 2.4 and he sugested the baby was 16weeks2days old. and a due date on the 15 of october.
this would point everything to previous bf beeing the father
her stomach looks so big as well (maybe my mind playing tricks on me)

but she had her period shortly after intercourse with her previous boyfriend.

everything seems to be alright if you look at it logicaly, but the doctor said he was certain but we were wondering if her period was justa implantation bleeding            

also i dont know about the chances of her getting pregnant with our first intercourse. it would seem more logical if the conception happened during the 3 weeks we were together the first time

were keeping the baby non the less we just really want this baby to be ours

Thanks Annie, I just ¨felt¨ I was ovulating but I know it doesnt say too much. I used to take my temperature daily but this month I just stopped doing it because it was stressing and anyway, things were so bad with my partner that the last thing I wanted was to search for a pregnancy. I did took once my temperature on 23cd (after wetting, being with guy A) and it was high as my luteal phase would be (according to my past 19 charts). I know it was only one day and of course I couldnt see any pattern, but I was at the time confident that I had ovulated. (big mistake?)

Can you tell me how long I should wait for the next ultrasound? I am now in 40cd.

Thank you so much for your time and help, my doctor has not been to helpful. She didnt give any importance to my terrible doubt. She only said: ¨well, you have to take care of yourself and the baby, who's the dad is not important now¨. But for me is terribly important. If my ex is the dad, I don't plan to continue with this pregnancy.

THanks!
I'd do another ultrasound between the 30th of May and about the 4th or 5th of June.
Hi, Paul, I think it is not unlikely for this to be your baby.  If you would like to copy your post and start a new question with it (in other words, click "ask a question") it would be less confusing to answer, as right now on this thread is Patty with a back-and-forth conversation that you have popped up in the middle of.  I will get back to you in any case.  MedHelp's system will notify you of any answers to you, but only if you start your own question -- as it stands now, the original poster who started this thread 600+ comments ago gets the notification.
alright sorry about that. i havent really used any forum or stuff like this ever
Hi annie, pls i need your help for a better understanding of when my baby would be born. am 28weeks 1day pregnant. according to my LMP which  was 5th sep 2014,my due date would be june 12 2015. i had sex with my husband on 19th sep 2014. I had my 1st ultrasound around 3mths and due date was 2nd june 2015. had the 2nd ultrasound around 6mths and dues date was 4th sep 2015, the 3rd ultrasound was done four days ago giving due date as 29th may 2015. That was yesterday and nothing happened. am just confussed on when i should really expect my baby. should i stick to the 2nd june as two of my ultrasounds came with same due dates?
I would guess from your story that the third ultrasound done four days ago listed May 29 in error.
HI Annie!

I did another ultrasound today, we did see gestational sac, yolk sac and embryo. No heart beat tho. The doctor put me at 5 weeks 6 days, according to the measurements, which are:

Gestational sac 11.3 mm
Yolk sac: 2.4 mm
Embryo: 6 mm

This put my "ovulation" day on May04. Did I get pregnant on May02 or May09? How accurate is this?

The doctor also put me as risk of miscarriage, because I am spotting dark blood since 6 days :(

Thanks!
You say you had the ultrasound today?  (I.e., on a Sunday?  Was it at your regular doctor's or at an ER?)

Did the doctor give you an estimated due date?  You said "This put my ovulation day on May 4."  Did you do the calculation or did the doctor say "You are due on ____ (date)" and then you asked him or her when you might have ovulated?

Sometimes it is a lot easier for me to be helpful if I know how much was verbatim from the doctor or tech, and how much was analysis and extrapolation by the poster from what the doctor said.

Hi Annie, yes I did the ultrasound today, Sunday. The tech did the assessment based on the measurements. The medical report states: Menstrual age of 5 weeks 6 days. I did the ovulation date estimate here http://www.babymed.com/pregnancy-due-date-calculator?redirect=1 using the 5w6d.

Due date (LPM): 01/20/2016
Due date (Ultrasound): 01/25/2016
Due date (LPM): 01/20/2016
Due date (Ultrasound): 01/25/2016

Due dates were given by the doctor, I don't understand how it works!
From the due date of 1/25, my calculator also gets the conception date of May 4.  It adds more to the evidence that the sex on May 2 produced the pregnancy.  (Sperm can easily live from May 2 to May 4 in your reproductive tract.)  

If you are having bleeding, the best thing is to stay off your feet until the bleeding has stopped for 24 hours, and stay hydrated.   Alternately, if you are near your doctor's clinic, you might ask about having a blood draw every couple of days to see if your hCG levels are going up at the appropriate rate.  There is nothing you or a doctor can do to stop a miscarriage at this stage, it is all up to the embryo and if it is developing or fading.  But if you merely have a broken blood vessel or something else like that, staying at rest can calm uterine contractions, and that can help stop bleeding.  I'm sorry this is happening.

Good luck to you.
Good morning Annie,

Unfortunately I am bleeding heavier and heavier every day, but not cramps or clots. The blood looks fresher too. It has been a terrible and stressful time but my partner has been so supportive and lovely, that ironically this has helped us as couple. I like to think that things happen for a reason.

I read that once you start bleeding heavily there is nothing you can do. :( But how long I have to wait to check if I actually miscarried. and , do I take a pregnancy test? another ultrasound?

And about dates, can I safely say that my partner is the dad? How accurately these dates can be?

Thank you for your advises!
The due date of 1/25 from an early ultrasound adds to the evidence that the sex on May 2 produced the pregnancy.  

Regarding how long to wait to check whether you have miscarried, call your ob-gyn and let him or her advise you.  Some doctors will have you do two hCG blood draws in 48 hours to see if the numbers are increasing or dropping; that is the simplest way to confirm if the pregnancy has faded.  Good luck.
So my Dr told me that my due date is jan1st 2016. I don't have regular periods but they are saying conception was April 10 2015 give our take 5 days. I slept with my ex April 3-8/9ish and reconciled with current bf on the 10. I've read that it's more likely I was pregnant by the ex then by the current the same day as possible ovulation. I'm writing myself to death over this. I have but feeling it is my exes which is what I want. Anyt advice would help me please!!!!!
Hi, Ccoff, if you had sex April 3-8/9 with one guy and sex with the other guy on April 10, and you think you ovulated on the 10th, then there is no way to know which guy is the dad.  The earllier guy's sperm would still be alive in your system when you had sex with the later guy.  

By what method did the doctor tell you the due date, was it from an ultrasound or a little calendar wheel?  How far along in the pregnancy was it?  
Hi, I need some clarification as well. I had sex with a man on 30th of  Oct (unprotected - fully came in me). This was around mid cycle. Then my usual period came on 16th of Nov which assured me that I didnt fall pregnant at that instance. Then things changed with my husband (positively and we got back together) and we had sex a few times on different dates which are 1st of Dec and 8th of Dec (however he pulled out at first time and came inside me on the second date). And around 15-16th of Dec, I felt nauseted and took a pregnancy test and I was pregnant. Since i had that period on 16th of November, I was 100% sure that the baby is from my husband but how likely is it that it also can be from the earlier man? My due date calculated from the ultrasound is 18th of August. Is it a clear cut that my husband is the father or should have my doubts?

I know pulling out is not a safe method of protection for pregnancy but it is a back up method we just use.
It is not likely the baby came from the guy before your period.  Sounds like your husband's.
Thank you for your rapid reply.

Is there such a thing of having a period while pregnant? I know no egg will be shed while pregnant but why do some women bleed just like their period? you seem very educated about all this. I appreciate your help and time.

Also my first ultrasound was done for the nuchal thickness at which the baby measured to be at 13 weeks 1 day. How accurate would you say this is?

Did the doctor tell you your due date from the ultrasound, or did you compute it yourself?  Did he or she say you were 13 weeks 1 day, or did you compute it?
13 weeks 1 day was measured by the sonographer by ultrasound. I thought I was 12 weeks 3 days according to my period. I hope that makes sense.
It sounds like you conceived no earlier than the 18th of November, probably closer to the 25th.
I see. That was my calculations as well but the problem is, I vaguely remember not having sex those times. Thats why i thought it was a late conceived baby.
Keep in mind that sperm can live in your system for up to 5 or 6 days, and also that there is a margin for error at 13 weeks GA when using an ultrasound to try to determine the date of conception of possibly +/-  7 days.  You don't have to have sex exactly on the day the conception calculator names, to get pregnant from the sex.  Anyway, you had a period, and if you had gotten pregnant by the other guy, the embryo would not have been so small.
Hi Anne, I hope you can help as ive seen your replied to these other woman. Doctor said my conception date was Feb 16 from an ultrasound, I made the doctor away I was not sure of conception day and he seemed sure this was correct. I was told that and I was also told I was 5 weeks and 6 days. I also said my lmp was Feb 10 (give or take a day). I had sex with Guy A the day before by lmp and got back with my boyfriend after that lmp, only slept with Guy A once… but have been having unprotected sex for 2 years with my boyfriend. If i was pregnant from Guy A would I have had a period right after? and Im reading you saying that conception date is actually about 2 weeks before the date the doctor has given, which would be a huge relief for me since the dates im worried about are 6ish days apart. Can you help?
I didn't say the conception date was 2 weeks before the date the doctor has given.  It's generally 2 weeks shorter than the "weeks pregnant," in your case, 3 weeks 6 days from when the doctor did the ultrasound and told you that you were 5 weeks 6 days 'pregnant.'  But if a doctor tells you when you conceived, using that specific word, that is when he thinks you conceived, and it does not matter if he or she said x weeks pregnant or not.  What you want is a conception date, and it sounds like you are saying your doctor knew this.  (Did your doctor use the word "conceived" when he gave you information, or did he just say so-and-so 'far along'?  If he said "conceived," I would believe him.  Did you sleep with your boyfriend on February 16?)

Here is how it works.  

A woman gets the first day of her period on February 1.  She begins bleeding then.  This indicates she is not pregnant from any prior activity.

She ovulates on February 14.  (Day 14 is an average calculated from the cycles of many women.  Some women do not ovulate this day.  But in this example, say she did.)  She has had unprotected sex within the past 5 days.  Viable sperm is in her reproductive tract.

Her new period does not come, she is pregnant.  So she goes to the doctor on March 14.  This is about 4 weeks from when she would have conceived, but about 6 weeks from when her last period came.  The doctor does an ultrasound.  He says, "Congratulations, you are 6 weeks pregnant!"

He is not saying she conceived on the first day of her period.  Doctors use that day in the gestational-age count (the "weeks" count) just as the place to start counting.
....

HOWEVER, your doctor apparently (unless you just went home with a "weeks" count and figured out February 16 by yourself, but it doesn't sound like you did that) told you that you conceived on a particular day.  So subtracting two weeks from any count (or adding them either) does not apply, the doctor would have already taken all of that into consideration.

This makes the question "Would I have gotten pregnant six days before the doctor said I conceived, and also I had a period right after that?"  And the answer to that question is no.  Women don't ovulate right before their period, they ovulate a couple of weeks before their period.  You didn't have any eggs coming down when you had sex right before your period.  And your period came, it was not missing or late.

Doctor said "conception date" was feb 16 and I was 5 week 6 days and me and my boyfriend absolutely had unprotected sex that day, we had reconciled.… and I know the one time I was with Guy A was right before my lmp, the day before I believe. Thank you for your wonderful insight. I am 19 weeks and things are going beautifully in all aspects and I dont want one night of misjudgment to ruin this babys chance at a life with 2 loving parents together.
Hi Annie. I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend on 22 April 2015. On 27 May she told me she was pregnant. I accompanied her to a doctor for an ultrasound scan on 15 June 2015. The doctor said she was 8 weeks, 6days pregnant. I then asked him what the margin of error is on ultrasound scan. He said 6 days. I am baffled whether I might be the father as we live a long distance apart.

Thanking you in advance for your kind assistance.

Tumi
Tumi, it all adds up to you being the dad.  Doctors count pregnancy as beginning on the first day of the last period, not on the presumed day of conception.  Your girlfriend's doctor is saying that computed from average cycle lengths of lots of women, her last period began 8 weeks 6 days ago.  That would then be logical that sex around April 27 would produce a pregnancy.  Sperm can live in a woman's body for several days after sex.  You are exactly in the right time frame.  

Hi AnnieBrooke,

I had sex with a girl on February 23. She went for an ultrasound yesterday (June 26) and was told she is 14 weeks pregnant. She had been continually sleeping with another man since we had sex.

Timeline wise, it doesn't make sense for me to be the father, right?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Also, how accurate or inaccurate are ultrasounds in the 14th week?

Based on my math, if the last time I had sex with her was Feb 23, then if it were to be mine, she would have had her LMP around Feb 9, which would make her 19 1/2 weeks pregnant. Is it possible the ultra sound if off by 5 1/2 weeks?

She also went on vacation to Hawaii with this guy the last week of March, where they engaged in a lot of sex. This other guy sounds like the more logical father, right?

Thanks for your help.
No, it doesn't make sense for you to be the father if the last time you had sex was February 23.  She would have to be at least in her 19th week by now, as you say.  Ultrasounds can have a 7 to 10 day margin for error in someone's 14th week, but not a 4 to 5 week margin for error.
Hi Annie, I happened to chance upon this forum and saw that you have been helping to answer most of the questions being posted here. I know I should probably get a DNA done and I am contemplating but I am just so scared and worried, I am feeling overwhelmed and panicky.

My LMP was around 16 or 17 Dec 2014. On 23 Dec I had "break-up" sex with an ex-lover and he came in me, on 25 and 31 Dec both occasions, I had unprotected sex as well with my then boyfriend/now husband. We found out that I was pregnant on 31 Jan 2015, the doc gave me the EDD as 22 Sept 2015. The estimated conception period gyne said should be between X'mas and New Year.

Based on an early ultrasound scan on 6 March 2015, the estimated GA is between 11 week 3 days and 11 weeks 6 days. Doc says that the ultrasound dates are aligned to my LMP.

I want so much to wholeheartedly believe that this baby is my husband's and he is a wonderful man. I am so regretful of my indiscretion and as baby's arrival draw closer, I am conflicted between the joy that I should anticipate versus the numbing fear that's eating me up. I am just hoping to get some assurance somehow to allay my crazy anxiety. I hope to get your advice. Could I be pregnant from what happened on 23 Dec?
Hi, RAEF, if you'll look at another post on this community, http://www.medhelp.org/posts/DNA---Paternity/Whos-the-father-of-my-unborn-child/show/1698437 and scroll to the bottom and read the posts from zmabel, you'll see these exact dates analyzed in depth.  It's interesting that her period and the sex were all on exactly the same dates as yours, and it might reassure you to see the computations involved in deciding when someone would have ovulated if her period began on the 16th and her ultrasound showed certain GAs and EDDs.  Her problem is that she was trying to tell if sex on the 31st of December had produced the baby versus sex on January 3rd, but all the dating of ovulation comes out the same as yours, almost to the day on the ultrasounds and all.  You might find it interesting.  

What I can say about anxiety is that either you trust your doctors or you do not.  Usually women who write in that have anxiety not entirely justified by their dates (and with the date of the undesired dad being the 23rd, one could say your anxiety is not entirely justified by the date) -- usually these women's anxiety comes from something else, not because deep in their hearts they do not believe the doctor.  We get a lot of women on this site whose dates are too close to call, but we also get a surprising amount of women whose dates are actually not the real problem, they have just focused on that because it is an easy target to let their anxiety settle on.  

I can only recommend that if you're in the throes of such anxiety that you are being eaten up by "numbing fear," you talk to someone about the anxiety, not about the dates.  You've had ultrasounds, you've had reassurance; see a counselor about the worries.  Some women who have written in with this kind of anxiety have even gone to the trouble of spending the two grand on a prenatal DNA test, and have gotten the answer they wanted, and do you know what they do?  They write back to me, "But what if the test is WRONG?"  In other words, all the answers in the world about dates and the right guy being the dad don't reassure someone who is not really worried about that.  My suggestion is to see a counselor about the anxiety and to try to pinpoint the cause.  
Hi Annie, thanks for your advice. My husband has accompanied me on all my gynae visits from day 1 so pretty much I have not spoken to my gynae about my concerns over the paternity. I supposed my gynae just assumed that we have been with each other exclusively so he only asked if we had unprotected sexual relations sometime between Christmas and New Year. And I am too ashamed and embarrassed to call in personally to ask my gynae's views on this matter. I just wanted to get some assurance on the most probably ovulation date, if it is definitely closer to 29 - 31 Dec, that would help to allay a lot of my anxiety since it would be quite a stretch for the sperm to last from 23 Dec to the O date. I am just worried if Ovulation might have taken place anytime earlier that might make 23 Dec possible. Perhaps you are right that there have been other factors playing on my mind - my husband's family have had mostly boy babies by his other siblings and we were guessing that we would have a boy too but bub turned out to be a girl. The gynae also commented that she seems to have long legs and was joking that it was strange since neither hubby or I are particularly tall. Guess all these played on my mind such that I was contemplating getting a prenatal DNA test with the ex this week or next to allay my fears... but if possible I would really rather avoid going through the stress of the DNA test at this stage. Appreciate any advice you could give me to provide me with better mental clarity. I am worried that my being stressed up will adversely affect baby as well. Her 26 week scan showed her head was developing at 23 week mark while her legs were at 27 weeks and 5 days :(
So the stress comes from trying not to have to tell your husband that this is a possibility?  I took it (when you said "break-up sex" with the other guy) that you were not yet with your husband when you had sex on the 23rd.  If you're keeping this a secret, I can see why this would be stressful.

Did you read the comments to zmabel about the dates?  The only difference is that she had earlier ultrasounds than you did.  When you had the ultrasound on March 6, what GA did the doctor give you at that time?
I had an ultrasound on 14 Feb (yeah it was on Valentine's Day) and the GA indicated was between 8 weeks 3 days to 8 weeks 6 days.
OK, well, hmm.  Most things you are saying suggest your husband.  That said, the margin for error using an ultrasound in your eighth week to try to date conception is perhaps +/- a couple of days.  This means that the timing could hardly be closer and still favor him.  The science is not in agreement about how long sperm can live in a woman's reproductive tract, but I've seen it written that it can last 5 days.  If you took the sex on the 23rd, added 5 days, and then also added two days for the margin for error in using an eighth-week ultrasound to determine conception, it could stretch to the 30th, when your due date suggests you ovulated.  Obviously, to reach all the way back to Mr. 23rd takes a whole lot of "ifs" all coming true.

But given that the dates are so close and since this is troubling you so much, I would go ahead and do the test.  Please don't use one of those cheapie labs that advertise heavily on the Internet, women have written in here about lost results and wrong results.  The labs with the best reputations are the DDC and Ravgen.

Was I correct in assuming that you want to keep the test a secret from your husband if the baby proves not to be from Mr. 23rd?  It is worth mentioning that getting a DNA test to check paternity is usually a notable event in a man's life, and secrets like this don't always keep.  Will the other guy be willing never to tell his best friend, future girlfriend, or brother that he had a DNA test done with you?  If you think he will tell someone the secret some day, you might consider telling your husband so he (your husband) won't learn from the grapevine before he learns from you.

If you do intend to tell your husband, position it in a matter-of-fact way: "I was recalculating all my dates and would feel better if we ruled out my old boyfriend, because you and I got together so soon after he and I broke up."  I know that with the stress the situation is giving you, it will be very hard to sound casual about this, but if you think he will learn you did the test anyway, you are better being the one to tell him.
Thanks Annie for taking time to analyze and advice me on this situation. I feel better now. Will reconsider if I wanna get the test done with Mr 23rd. Thanks so much again for your advice! Really appreciate your help!
I might add, with the dates so close and the possibility that if all the hypotheticals lined up a certain way Mr. 23rd would be the father, you do need to do a DNA test sooner or later.  Because post-natal tests are much cheaper, most people writing in on this forum choose to test once the baby is born.  But obviously you do need to put the question to rest sooner or later.
hi Annie,
Ive read all your previous posts and i am so sorry to ask a similar question, i just need to hear someone else tell me that i am paranoid for no reason.

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant, with an EDD at September 24th, 2015.
My last period was December 18, 2014.

Now here is where things get very silly, i had protected sex with guy A on November 9, 2014. I had gotten my period 3 days later.

I got my next period like i said previously on Dec 18th, i had sex with my current boyfriend on Jan 5,6,7. Every time was unprotected. i missed my period and went in for an ultrasound on Feb. 16 and she told me i was between 7-8 weeks pregnant which matched my last LMP.

Please tell me that there is no way sperm (assuming the condom didn't fully protect him) from the sex i had with guy A in November could possibly stay in my reproductive tract that long, and that my current boyfriend is definitely the father.

i know i had two periods since having sex with guy A, but the anxiety and what if is killing me.

I have also heard that ultrasounds aren't always accurate. I just need reassurance from someone because i am wayyy too embarrassed to tell anyone about this.

Thank you!
Hi, Misty, sperm only lives 5 or 6 days in the woman's reproductive tract.
Hi Annie,

In response to Misty's question, since she got her period twice (at the expected time) does that rule out the potential of encounters before that time frame?

Thanks!
Sure, on the basis of elapsed time alone.  The time span was more than 50 days.  Even if she had not had any periods, that is ten times as long as is necessary for the sperm to all be non-viable.  
Thanks, I am in a similar situation and I just have heard mixed things regarding periods/implantation etc.  It can make you very paranoid!

How far do encounters need to be in order to feel confident about these types of things?  For example, if two periods and 35 days separate, is that enough to feel confident?  Also, if an early ultrasound and LMP dating match up, can that bring conception range to within +- 5 days?

Thanks for your help!
Hi, hellojuly, are you saying you had an early ultrasound, and there were two periods between the sex with one guy and the sex with another?  When was your first ultrasound -- in other words, how early was "early?"  If it was in your sixth or seventh week, you could say it's within +/- 5 days.

Yes - basically dates are as follows: 9/5 guy A, period 9/8 lasting 4 days, second period 10/11, guy B on 10/26, missed period and positive test 11/10. EDD from LMP (or supposed LMP) = 7/18-7/20. First TV scan on 11/21 only sac visible, 11/26 heartbeat detected, 12 NT scan measured at 12w 5d on 1/12 putting EDD on 7/22.  Second trimester scans also around the 7/20 range.  

Can I be confident? What is the interval where it would be confusing?  All this talk of implantation and having periods etc, really gets confusing.  I'm assuming my scans can't and won't be off by that much and you have already confirmed that a 9/5 sperm can't live for weeks.  But I just wanted to know yoru opinion since you seem so knowledgeable about all of it!
I guess my curiousity is more, that if you got a real period (or two) can you count out the encounter from prior to that period?  Also, the ultrasound generally uses Gestational Age, and Fetal age adds two weeks.  Therefore, conception here took place around the end of Oct (according to the due date calculator).
You said "can I be confident?"  Do you mean, can you assume the guy in early September is not the dad?  Yes, if you didn't have sex with him again, you can be confident.

If you had sex, then had a period, then had another period, you are not pregnant from that sex.  You would not have ovulated (which triggers a period) if you were pregnant.  Then you ovulated again as witnessed by then having yet another period.  Women don't ovulate when pregnant, meaning, your periods signal that you were ovulating, which means you were not pregnant.  And again, sperm does not last longer than a few days in your system.
Sorry if I'm sending too many messages. I'm new to medhelp and not sure how it works. But can I rely on my first ultrasound at 8 weeks to be accurate? It didn't look like a baby when I first saw it and it had yolk sac. The one I had at 12 weeks just barely started to look like a baby and the doctor since then has told me that I'm measuring on time.
Misty, if you think there were errors in your two ultrasounds, it is certainly within your right to talk to another doctor, or at least to ask to have someone else read the ultrasounds.  

However, unless you have made a specialty of looking at eighth-week ultrasounds, do you know what an embryo is supposed to look like at eight weeks or 12?  I would put my money on an ultrasound tech over a layperson, to tell if an embryo looks normal at a certain stage of development.  They also do things like measure the embryo and check its developmental markers.

Have you looked at books like "A Child Is Born" to see how unusual early human embryos look?  (At one stage they look kind of like a snake.)  Have you looked online for images of early embryos?  I have trouble thinking that you could glance at a screen and tell that both the ultrasound tech (who does this every day) and your doctor were wrong in assessing the age of the embryo and the gestational age of the pregnancy.
Yes that is what I mean! Can I be confident and yes it was only one time. Do you know how many days apart the encounters need to be to establish this kind of confidence? Thanks so much
Thank you for the response Annie. I guess with all that being said, I should probably just trust my doctor and address what the real is.
If you didn't have sex with the guy but one time, and it was weeks before the estimated conception date, there is no other explanation besides that you didn't get pregnant by that guy.  You asked "can I be confident" -- women write in on this site often saying things like "But what if the doctors are WRONG?!" and there is little enough someone on the Internet can do to make someone who is that worried be confident.  But the doctors have told you your estimated due date, and from that you can estimate your conception date, and it just does not point to the first guy.  

I guess if it were me and I had even one period in between sex with a guy and the time it was indicated that I had conceived, that would be enough for me.  If I had *not* had a period, I would be totally sure if there were 25 or so days in between the sex with the first guy and the sex pointed to by the due date I had been given.  (That scenario would also require me to have really irregular cycles.)  If I was given a conception date from my ultrasounds, I would not worry even if the dates were closer together, I would go with what the ultrasounds indicated.  According to various studies, sperm only lasts 5-7 days in the woman's reproductive tract.  

If you can't stop worrying, try to remember, a period indicates ovulation, and a woman does not ovulate if she is pregnant.  If you had two periods, that is twice the proof you were not pregnant then.
(The directly above was to hellojuly, not to misty.)
THank you!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much Annie, you are a god send.
I just needed to hear it from someone that there is no chance.
Me too!!
please help me out. last period was june 11 2015 i had sex with guy A on the 20 of june 2015 then i had sex with guy B on the 22 and 24 of june 2015 . i just found out that am pregnant please who could possibly be the father? i usually have a 26 day circle..
Hi, jwan, there is no way to know without a DNA test, I am sorry.  Sperm from the guy on the 20th was still alive in your reproductive tract at the time you had sex with the guy on the 22nd and 24th.  This means either guy could be the father.  
I seriously dont want to abort this pregnancy but not knowing the father, its a serious disaster am beginning to think of aborting it. hmmmmm am having a hard time deciding...
jwan, since there is no way to tell who is the father without a DNA test, I might mention that if you have the funds, you could get a DNA test while you are still pregnant, from either Ravgen or the DDC.  I believe the cost is between $1,500 and $2,000.  
Hi Annie.
Quick Question

What is the chance that someone would become pregnant with no penetration but ejaculation near the vagina?  I read online that it is POSSIBLE, but I wanted to get your perspective on it.  
Hi, as I remember it, you had sex, then had a period, then had another period, and didn't have sex again with the first guy after the two periods.  Is this a new event, or are you wondering about that sex two periods before you got pregnant?  If it was the sex two periods back, whether or not it's theoretically possible to get pregnant from ejaculate only, it doesn't matter, since the evidence says you got pregnant later.
Hi Annie,

You have already answered my question above and have reassured me that the September contact would not have resulted in this pregnancy for many reasons and that I don't need to worry about that! You still agree with that correct?

I was trying to send you a private note for the latest question but for some reason it wouldn't accept my internal code to send it.  I was just curious for my own knowledge your opinion on that because I see it on the internet all the time.
Thanks!
I believe it is theoretically possible, depending on how near the vagina you mean.  If 'near the vagina' would mean a few inches away on the woman's upper thigh, not possible.  If it reached the woman's own fluids, there is the possibility that if everything else were right (if she was ovulating with eggwhite cervical mucus) the sperm could find a pathway.
CAN ANYONE HELP
I had unprotected sex with a friend 2/15/15 , but i did not ejaculate in her it only lasted like 3 minutes ! I already have 3 kids trying to see if this is number i accompanied her to her first ultrasound on 4/13/15 and she was 8 weeks 1 day due date 11/22/15 could the baby be mines she told me her last period was late january 1/19/15 but didnt get her expected period for 2/15/15 which was the day of our lil thing and she did have sex with someone else in march unprotected and protected

HELPPPP
Hi, isThis.  It does not sound like this is your baby.  She would have conceived, by the information from her eighth-week ultrasound on April 13, on around March 1.  The conception calculator I use says:

Probable date of ovulation:  March 1, 2015
Possible dates of conception:  February 25 to March 5, 2015
Due date:  November 22, 2015 (40 weeks)

She would not have been ovulating on February 15.  Why her period didn't come then, I don't know, but women do skip periods for other reasons besides pregnancy, and her dates all point to March 1.  It's a good thing her ultrasound was this early, you can be sure of that date with only a small possible margin for error, possible +/- 2 or 3 days.  You don't have anything to worry about here.

Just in case you don't know, the pregnancy count in weeks, when said by a doctor, or nurse, or med tech, or ultrasound tech, means that amount of time from the first day of the woman's last period (not from conception).  When the doc told her that she was 8 weeks 1 day 'pregnant,' he or she meant 6 weeks 1 day from conception.  
Ok thats good i am going to let her know , i know shell be happy as well ! Such a BIGGG RELEIF thank you so muchh annie ! You should partner up with maury for the mothers who be hoopin and hollering  then the baby actually turns out not to be the dads as well as the dads who think diff ! THANK YOU SO MUCH
And also if u go to the er and get an ultrasound at 15 weeks lmp and they told u the gender of the baby is it accurate that early ? Would u worry if they were wrong or not ??
Usually the information about gender is given to the pregnant woman at 18 weeks; I don't know how early one could know for sure.  It's harder to know with girls than boys, for obvious reasons, and it is by far better to go to a standard ob-gyn appointment for this kind of scan.  The ER is not set up for anything but emergency care.
Hey im back im sorry i had one more question ok you said you didnt kno why she didnt have her period 2/15/15 im confused as to how she ovulated in march if her real last known period was 1/19/15 how is that possible ?
A woman can ovulate at any time, it has nothing to do with the date of her previous period.  The previous period is the end of a cycle that began with the previous ovulation, it is not the beginning of a cycle but the end of it.   The next ovulation can come whenever the woman's body feels like it.

Also, keep in mind that it's not that easy to remember every period.  Women certainly notice their period when it is there, but a couple or three weeks later, unless they wrote it down, they might not be able to tell someone when it was.
Ok even more confirmation THANK YOU
dear Annie, I hope you can help me figure this out. my girlfriend and I were together for a few months. in april she went to her cousins house after a fight we had. and didn't come back until the 26th-27 of april. I had found out that the weekend of the 18th or the 26 of april  she was raped. we have been together since april 27-28 till now. she found out she was pregnant around the end of may or so... she went to the dr on the 9th of june and they actually told me it was conceived the first or 2nd week in may.. witch would make it mine..however her last period... if it truly was her period was on the 26 april.. my question is. is that the dr that told me while looking at the sonogram with her and my girlfriend that it was conceived on the first or 2week of may. however the sonogram picture  in the week and days says  6weeks 4 days.. so witch is it.. 6weeks 4 days or conceived 4 weeks and  3 days... i'm a guy so I don't know about this women stuff.. please help I just know that I was only with her the first week of april and the last 4-5 days in april...
i'm also going to add that she was at the hospital on april 26 and had to stay until the 27. I stayed with her the whole night. they took a urine test there was blood on in her cup. and at that time the test said it was negative. yet later on we bought the same test at the store the first as negative the other 3 were positive.. don't know if this could help... she knows I have douts but insists its mine... just need another opinion everyone else I talk too says different things.. I hear first or 2nd week  of may.  the last week or too in march was when she was conceived. so I really don't know what to go by
and when I mean later on I mean a week or 2 after her hospital visit we took the preg test
I get that she got pregnant on the 8th of May.

Go with what the doctor said.  You say "everyone else I talk to says different things," but are they all doctors looking at her sonogram?  If not, don't share the story with them.  (It's also blabbing her business all over your world.  It is none of your friend's business that your girlfriend got raped.  Tough enough to go through that without it being gossip fodder for everyone she knows.)  

It sounds like the problem you had with what the doctor said is that you have worked out in your mind that the GA count (the medical count in weeks) does not count back to the first or second week of May.  That is a logical flaw in your reasoning, though.  The count in weeks given by an ultrasound is not supposed to count back to when she conceived.

If the ultrasound tech or a doctor says a woman is x weeks x days "pregnant", it does not count back to conception but to two weeks before conception.  All medical counts of pregnancy (the number like 6 weeks 3 days or 11 weeks 4 days) begin on the first day of the last period.  (Or on a calculated first day of last period computed from averages of lots of women, which is calculated at 2 weeks before conception.)  If her ultrasound says 6 weeks 4 days, that means based on the measurements of the embryo she got pregnant about 4 weeks 4 days ago.

The count is done this way because the period is a big, obvious signal, not because the doctor thinks a woman is pregnant on day 1 of her cycle.  (He knows she wasn't pregnant then, she was having a period.)  That's why pregnancy, which takes 38 weeks, is counted as being 40 weeks long.  They add a spare two weeks at the front to count back to the presumed first day of the last period.  Back in the days before ultrasounds, all they had to begin the count was knowing when the woman had her last period before getting pregnant, and that kind of count has continued even into the day of ultrasounds.

So no, she did not get pregnant by the rape, and yes, everything lines up properly with her period, and for heaven's sake, stop thinking you are not the dad because everything says you are.  Don't insult her by being weird about this.  She's got a lot on her plate as it is.

The only other thing to remember is that ultrasounds can become less accurate for determining a conception date as the pregnancy progresses, since although all embryos begin life as one cell, some grow more quickly or slowly than others.  An ultrasound at 6 weeks 4 days can be spot-on for dating conception, and then in the same pregnancy an ultrasound at 12 weeks can have a margin for error of +/- about 7 days.  She got the ultrasound at exactly the right time for the most possible accuracy.  It won't be off by more than a day if that.

thank you so much,.. i'm a proud father.. and no. I never told anyone about what happen. to tell you the truth I had thoughts that she was cheating on me due to her staying gone.  I don't talk about it much to my girlfriend cause it does upset her. but I mean i'm me shes had kids before I havnt so I didn't know.. how it is counted or nothing.. thank you again.. I appreciate your time.. and i'm so excited to be this childs father. thank you so much..
Keep in mind that if she went to her cousin's house due to a fight you had, she might have thought the relationship was ended.  If she thought you two were broken up, she probably had the right to have sex if it came her way.  Not saying she did, other than the rape.  But unless when you two parted after the fight, you did so on the explicit mutual agreement that your relationship was still in force, she might have thought it was over.  It's unlikely you had this explicit mutual agreement that the relationship was still in force, if she was leaving you to stay with her cousin due to a fight with you.  Leaving in anger and staying away is not "oh, you're still my boyfriend."  That she decided to come back doesn't negate that when she left, she thought it might be for good.

Anyway, everything the doctor told you points to May 7 or 8 for conception.  Try to relax.  She sounds like she chose you.
Viewing 601-734 comments: