DNA / Paternity Community
Are ultrasound conception dates accurate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Viewing 401-471 comments:
Annie I think u could help I had a 7 week ultrasound and I measured 6 week 5 days they kept my due date as July 29 I went today 18w5d I measured on target las period was oct 22 I had sex few days after wen period was almost over and then on the nov 3 I swear I ovulated the 5 I felt jabbing pain in right side wen I was going to sleep and didn't go away for about 10 min I had sex w someone else 3 days before expected period 20 21 22  but had sex w boyfriend the 11 or 12 as we'll on the 19 and 20 of nov I felt really nausish and diZy I had to nap but I had sex the 20 w the other guy those 3!days but the 22 my boobs were so sore I thought I was prego and the started to hurt the 19 I tested the 23 with first response digital and both were yes everything is making sense it's my boyfriends I'm jus really confused .. W my son I calculated wen to get pregnant and it worked even tho I have 31 32 day cycles I also should mention I came off mire a in August 21 bleed for a few and got normal period sept 20 or 21 not sure and then OCt 22  I no deep down it's my boyfriends but I have doubts my son was due sept 10 and I was a week late but I had sex 18 19 and one of those were ovulation and I did become pregnant and it based it off a 28 day cycle but like I said I had him 7 days later they were going to induce me but they jus soften my cervix and I had him in 7 to 8 hours after I hope u can help and I really think I don't have to worry
Was it your boyfriend with whom you had the sex on November 3?  Based on your first ultrasound, that was the most likely father, if there was not other sex around that same time.
I only had sex w the other guy 20  21 22 and found out I was pregnant the 23  and saw him a few time after I found out I worry Bc I came off mirena like I said before but everything equals out to being my boyfriend but I read this post somewhere and a girl had hpt positive 3 days after sex idk how that could happens but my ultrasound are saying July 29 as it would be
Wouldn't I be less at my 7 week ultrasound but I was 6w5d if I conceived within the 20 21 or 22 I think I would be about 5 weeks the girl who said she got the hpt + 3 days after sex she said her period was due in a day or so and 10 days after she went for ultrasound and she was 5 w and something but she said she had a period before that and didn't have sex no other time so she is pregnant  ffrom the 3 days but idk how and it says the doctor say anything can happen but she really doesn't give details if she has irregular cycle or anything that is what making me think I should worry
Jmedina, I have to give up when the sentence is 125 words long.  I think you are saying that someone else's story has you concerned about yours.  You had an early ultrasound, it indictes you ovulated around the 3rd or so, try to trust that.  If you cannot, get a DNA test.
Do u think I have anything to worry . My first ultrasound is what makes me think I shouldn't worry but if I did ovulate before my period I wouldn't be 6w5d correct I jus wanna ez my mind a bit because everything seems right since the ultrasounds  are saying July 29 and I did something on the 3rd that's why I feel so strong it's my boyfriends s
Sweetheart, your posts are really hard to understand.  Please break up any sentence that is over, say, 30 words long, with a period and a new beginning to the next sentence, I just can't grasp them and don't know for sure what I'm answering.

If you are asking if early ultrasounds are accurate, yes they are, they measure in weeks back to the first day of your last period.  The time period between the first day they count and the presumed day of conception is two weeks.  That means if you had an ultrasound that said you were 6 weeks 5 days, you conceived about 4 weeks 5 days before the ultrasound was done.  Later ultrasounds don't count, it is the early ultrasound that matters, from the point of view of determining when conception was.

Here is what the conception calculator says for a due date of July 29.

First day of last menstrual period:  October 22
     Probable date of ovulation:  November 5
     Possible dates of conception:  November 1 to 9
     Due date:  July 29 (40 weeks)

Embryos only last about 24-36 hours.  If you ovulated in the first week of November the embryo would have not gotten fertilized by the guy on the 20th.
Ok that helps alot. I only had sex with the other guy 20, 21,22 of November , I  took the hpt on the 23 and was positive. If I did ovulate around the 20 or 21 , on my ultrasound wouldn't I be a lot less than 6 weeks and 5 days.  I was measuring the 6 weeks and 5 days instead of 7 which isn't much to worry.
If you took an hpt on the 23rd and it was positive, that is proof the guy on the 20th didn't have anything to do with it, without looking any further.  From ovulation to implantation is at least five days and probably a bit more, possibly up to 10 days.  Until the embryo has implanted, there is no hCG in your system for a test to measure, let alone enough hCG to come up positive in a home test.
Hey...I had a true period November 17th (cycles are always 24/25 days) had sex on the 27th and 30th of Nov...took a day after on the 30th of Nov. Had sex on the 8th of December...I then had a period on Dec 11th...it lasted about 4 days it was kind of light...had sex again the 21st of Dec through the 24th...positive EPT on the 1st of Jan...I've had three ultrasounds...
The first one on Jan 13th didn't see anything...
Then on the 30th they saw a heartbeat...said I was 7 weeks and something
I had a u/s again on the 10th of Feb and he measured me at 9 weeks 3 days giving me a due date of Sept 13th...
I'm hoping to have conceived during my sessions 21st of Dec...is there any possibility it could've been the 8th of Dec or earlier?
I had my ultrasound n it said 13w 4d and that my LMP was december 1st...which is odd because. i didnt have me period december first or second and dont recall having it that week at all. also it doesnt help that i was told the ultrasound could be off by a week or so.

I have a text to a friend on November 11 telling him that i was dying in pain from my period. so that would have been the 1st or the 2nd day of my period. n calculated to my next period gives me the 9/10th od december..n my period is usually 4 weeks (28 days), even on or off the pill it happens regulary around the same time because i can tell when it's about to happen. Also in september i know it ended around the 20/21. and my period last about 4/5 days. calculated from there still gives me december 9/10 of my last period...i even when as far bak as june because i know it happend the week i was leaving for jamaica. (23-29) n im pretty sure it ended on the 28/29 because i was able to go swimming on the 30 n the rest of the trip with no period.

So is the ultrasound off, or am I? Because if Im right then I know who the dad is. if shes right. then im not sure...just iffy about it all cuz she said it could be off by a week
Hi, TormentedHeart, everything you're describing lines up to conception being around the 21st.  You can get a DNA test once the baby is born, but I would not worry unduly about it in the meantime.  Your period around the 11th would possibly have looked a bit different to you because of the effects of the morning-after pill, but it does seem from the ultrasound evidence to have been a real period.

kyrakriptonitr, it is true that dating a pregnancy from an ultrasound becomes less accurate the further along you go in pregnancy.  An ultrasound in your sixth or seventh week could be spot-on, but by the time you are in your second trimester, it has a margin for error of +/- 7 days or more, and by the time you are at term it could be off by 2 weeks or more.  This is because babies all begin as one cell, and the cells divide at a predictable rate for a while, but after a while some babies can grow more quickly and some more slowly than average.  The only thing you can do is to track your subsequent ultrasounds and see if they all add up to the same due date (which would suggest the baby is not growing more rapidly or slowly than average).  Did you have sex with anyone around December 14? because that is what the ultrasound you just had would suggest.
this was my first ultrasound n it says im 13 weeks...i did have sex with someone december 14.

its just weird cuz shes saying my period was at the beginning of december but i dont recall it at all that week..plus i had it during the week of november 11 and a text message proves that. n its usually every 4 weeks, so my period wouldve had to been around december 9
Okay so i have a bit more confirmation... if my period was the first week of december n its every 4 weeks..counting back would make it the week of november 3-9...but i had sex november 5 and i never have sex during my periods cuz its gross :P...the same guy from november 5 tried having sex on november 11 but i denied him cuz i was on my period. I remember this cuz i had to sneak the pad into my hand to change it and didnt want to leave it in his washroom so i discarded it in the garbage while i was waiting for the bus to go him and the text on november 11 to my friend saying i was in pain from my period...so can you calculate from november 11 when my next period date wouldve been if its regulary every 4 weekss and my ovulation day in december?
If you had your period in December, counting from the 11th of November you would have begun December's period somewhere around the 8th or the 9th.  If things went as normal in terms of ovulation (they don't always), you would have ovulated anywhere from the 20th to the 23rd of December.  This does line up with having an ultrasound in your 13th week that suggested an ovulation date around the 14th -- since the ultrasound is +/- 7 days, it means you could have ovulated anywhere up to the 21st or 22nd.  Basically, interpret your ultrasound as saying you would have conceived between the 13th and the 21st of December.  I hope this helps you narrow down the candidates.  If the main one you don't want to be the dad is the one before November 11, nothing about any of this suggests you got pregnant that early.  
i had sex with a guy the very early morning of december 24, like 2/3 am...hes the one im hoping it is and think it is...but thank you
If the guy on December 24 was the only guy in the time range of the 13th through the (say) 25th, then he would be the guy.  But if you had sex also with someone else in the week of the 13th, then you might need to rule him out after the baby is born with a DNA test.
hi again. I know everything adds up with my dating scan , but i am stressing this and its so hard ,i did only have sex with my boyfriend the whole month but then the 20 till the 22 was guy # 2. I know i shouldn't be worrying although if i did ovulate after the 5th would there still be a chance the 2nd guy could be the father. I keep saying to myself how tho, the ultrasound would not of dated me 6weeks and 5 days when i should of been 7, i should of been less. Around the 19th and 20th i was very dizzy and nausea and had sore boobs. Then on the 22nd my boobs were hurting me even worse, what made me test the 23rd was feeling dizzy the days before because that's how i felt with my son when i got pregnant. I really don't think i need a DNA because everything makes sense. With my son i went over a week of my due date ,with my man at that time i had sex the 15th, and 16th of  my cycle days , and nothing after that and became pregnant. Now with this cycle i just got off Mirena and September cycle was the 21 and October the 22  each lasting 8 days and i got the Mirena removed August 22 . So i think my cycles became regular. Then on the 5th of November i felt sharp pains like i was ovulating, I'm just confused but my doctor says everything adds up from conceiving around the 5th.
Jmedina, I can't make it easier from the emotional point of view, all I can do is tell you that the dates compute.  Here is what the conception calculator says for a due date of July 29.

Probable date of ovulation:  November 5
     Due date:  July 29 (40 weeks)

Embryos only last about 24-36 hours.  You would not have ovulated on November 5 and then gotten pregnant 15 days or more later, the egg would have long ago been dissolved.  If you had a positive pregnancy test three days after having sex with the guy on the 20th, he is not the father (unless you also had sex with him a couple of weeks earlier than the positive pregnancy test.)
If you can't relax and believe these things, the person to talk to is not me about the dates or an ob-gyn, but a counselor about your stress.  It's pretty common for someone in your position to redirect their anxiety to an obsessive focus on the dates and to not believe them, as sort of an easier thing to stress about than focusing on what is really bothering them, i.e., the fact that they had sex with someone that they now feel was a mistake (and sometimes, the stress of having kept it a secret).  You can't make that bad feeling go away by obsessing on the dates; you make it go away by making plans for the future to make your boyfriend the happiest dad on earth, so you can give him something positive in exchange for the betrayal you don't plan to tell him about.  And frankly, if a woman swears on her honor and never cheats again and makes her man happy the rest of his life, I don't think that is such a bad trade the father makes, for being kept in the dark about the one transgression.  
Even if i ovulated a little after that, lets say it was a few days after. No i didn't have sex with the 2nd guy other than those 3 days(20th, 21st, 22nd). I'm going to have to trust the dating scan, and i cant see how even if i did ovulate a little later how the 2nd guy would be the father only if i ovulated on day 30 of my cycle. I know i would of been almost 5 weeks on the scan if i did. I know i didn't have sex with him any other times but those 3days before my period was suppose to arrive. I also had sex with my boyfriend the 3rd and many times after that and and the 5th was when i was suppose to ovulate(But maybe i did a few days after). But everything is pointing to my boyfriend being the dad. Like you said i got the positive test on the 23rd its likely the 2nd guy is not the father.
It doesn't matter what you read some girl write on the Internet, you can't get a positive on a home test only the third day after having sex.  Look up your biology.  The embryo has not even hatched out of its protective shell (it does not do that until the 5th day or 6th day) and it cannot implant in the uterine side wall until it does.  It will not send the body any hCG messages until it implants.  Someone writing on the Internet that they got a positive pregnancy test on the third day is simply mistaken.
So my last period was Dec 31-Jan2. I had sex (unprotected) on January 6th. I never came on my period again. I had  sex with someone else from January 19-26th. Today I went to the Dr and im 8 weeks & 4 days pregnant, due date 10-17-14.. Which occurrence could have led to this pregnancy?  Thanks for all help in advance.
It doesn't sound like the person on January 6; the conception calculator gives the following for someone who is 8 weeks 4 days as of March 11.  Sperm can live a while, but not 18 days.

Probable date of ovulation:  January 24
     Possible dates of conception:  January 20 to 28
     Due date:  October 17 (40 weeks)
Hello Annie! My last period was december13 and my cycle is 34 day.. I suppose to ovulated January the 3.. On February 22 I went to the emergency they did a transvaginal ultrasound said that I was 7 weeks and  3 days.....  Mu due date is 10/8/14.. I have sex with a guy on January the 15 like 1 minutes but he use the pull out method he have 12 years using this method and the same night I have sex with my husband he ejaculate on me... Can you help me please....
Hi, Carla,

In the private message you sent me, you said the sex with the other guy was on January 5, but here you are saying it was the 15th.  Which was it?  It would be significant to know because if the other guy was on the 5th, there is a much less likely chance he is the dad than if he was on the 15th.
With all that said, do you think i have to worry. I just cant understand why my dating scan was two days off. Do you think my boyfriend is most likely the father.
If i did ovulate around CD 30, would my ultrasound be less than 6 weeks and 5 days. I really don't think i ovulated late ,especially considering my dating scan adds up to being around November 5
Hi, Jmedina,

It's really hard to answer posts that have been added to a long thread of other people's posts, because scrolling back and forth to try to find information pertaining to their particular set of dates is almost impossible.  I did find this that I wrote to you:

________

All I can do is tell you that the dates compute.  Here is what the conception calculator says for a due date of July 29.

Probable date of ovulation:  November 5
     Due date:  July 29 (40 weeks)

Embryos only last about 24-36 hours.  You would not have ovulated on November 5 and then gotten pregnant 15 days or more later.
_______

I am not sure what you are asking regarding "if I did ovulate around CD 30," since I don't know when CD 30 is and can't look it up on the system. I also don't have the ability to comment on your remark that your dating scan is two days off.  Was it not an early scan?  Then it is not two days off, possibly your period is two days off the standard two weeks allowance they add to a scan to back up to begin the pregnancy count.  But if your scan was early and says you ovulated around November 5, that's when you ovulated.  
When i mean scan i meant my 7 week scan, But i measured 6 weeks and 5 days. my 30 day of my cycle would of been Nov 20 i was suppose to get my period the 22. But maybe i would of the 21st. As i mentioned before the 2nd person i had sex with was on the 20th of November and i got the positive HPT on the 23rd. In September i got my period the 21 and October the 22. So my ovulation was suppose to be around the 5 or a little after of November. My dating scan put me around that time for conception. But my question is if i did ovulate later like a week or 2, wouldn't my scan be less. Also do you think there is any chance the second guy could be the father.
Your most probable date of ovulation is November 5.  Once you ovulate, the embryo only lasts a very short time, about a day or a day and a half.  The guy on the 20th, if you had not had sex with him before, would have been too late to get you pregnant.
That makes sense, i know i keep asking the same questions and your probably getting annoyed. I just feel you are very knowledgeable with this. Lets say i ovulated later than the 5th, could that be why my first scan is off. I don't think i ovulated 3 days before my cycle was suppose to start. I also cant see getting the positive hpt test 3 days after having sex with the guy from the 20th. But let's say if i ovulated the week after the 5th could the 2nd guy be the father.
Sweetheart, I appreciate you are anxious but I've answered and answered, and am sure that no matter what else I say it won't make you less anxious or more sure.  I strongly suggest you get a DNA test once the baby is born, or you might keep worrying and wondering the baby's whole life.

Please read the following once again, it's all I can suggest.  

Your most probable date of ovulation, (from ultrasound evidence of the present size of the embryo), is November 5.  Once a woman ovulates, the embryo only lasts a very short time, about a day or a day and a half.  The guy on the 20th, if you had not had sex with him before, would have been too late to get you pregnant.

Biologically speaking, you would not have gotten a positive on the 23rd if you only got pregnant on the 20th.  The embryo does not implant until the 5th day or more and the hCG does not go into your bloodstream to give you a positive test until the embryo implants and even then the test won't pick it up for a couple of days.

Good luck, I am sorry I've got nothing else.
Hi,  my last perid was on december 14 and 34 days cycles..  I have men 1 on january the 15 but was for 2 minutes and he use te ull out method.. andI have sex with my husband the samen nigth he came on me... They did a ultrasound yesterday and sais hat my due date is 10/4/14... Before as 10/8/14 and now is 10/4/14... What do you think my husband is the father..? Thanks..
Hi, Carla, in your previous private messages to me, you said the other guy was on January 5.  Then you posted again saying he was on January 15, but did not say if that corrects the earlier number or if that is the error.  Your first ultrasound gave you an estimated conception date of the 15th, and it would presumably be more accurate because it was earlier, except that you had it at the ER, which is not a great place to do scans for the purpose of dating the pregnancy.  Now you're saying this subsequent ultrasound has changed the due date.  If it was at a good ob-gyn's office and not the ER, perhaps it is more accurate, although since it is done later it will have a bigger margin for error.  This might mean there is a slightly lesser chance of the guy on the 15th being the father, (if, that is, he was on the 15th and not the 5th.  If the other guy was on the 5th, his sperm could have lasted in your system until the 12th.)  Anyway, I wish you would clear up the 5th/15th thing, and explain how it was that you got the ultrasounds.  If they were both at the ER, that is not going to help you very much.
is that possible that i have sex on january the 15 and get positive test on january 20?
I have sex we my husband 12/29/ 12/30/ 12/31/ 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/15.... with the second man I have sex just for 2 minutes on the 15 of january and he use the pull out method... Both ultrasound were done in the ER... Thanks!!!
hi annie.  we need help here. my boyfriend and I are wondering, if he is the father or not. we were fighting in oct 2013. he ended up sleeping with another girl on the 10th and the 19th. she told him that she is pregnant. she had an ultrasound dec 16th, 2013 and it said that she was 8 in a half weeks. we are wondering, when was conception and when would she be due?
Hi, Carla, you're going to need a DNA test, since it is possible for you to be pregnant by either guy.

Sally, did the other girl have an estimated due date?  Or even something more precise than 8 and a half weeks. such as 8 weeks 3 days or 8 weeks 4 days?
no. unfortunately the only thing that she told him was how far long she was. 8 in a half. that's it. no days.  and he was with her only twice on those days. unless, he's lying. not sure. but, he swears that he's being honest and telling me the truth.
Well, it sounds like she got pregnant around the 31st of October or the 1st of November.  "8 weeks pregnant," when said by a medical person, is counting using gestational age, or GA.  GA begins on the first day of the last period, not on the day of conception.  She would have been about six and a half weeks from conception on the day she had the ultrasound, December 16.  Tell your boyfriend to be decent to her, she probably doesn't even know this about how doctors count pregnancies, but that he should try not to stress since this does not sound like it is his baby.  For her peace of mind, he should volunteer to do a DNA test once the baby is born, but for his own peace of mind, he should remember between now and then that the dates really don't add up to him.
he says that he had sex with her between the 10th and the 19th. he's pretty sure, that those are the exact two days. but, can u still add up for me between that time period? even though, he's giving me those to go on, maybe u can figure something else out, cuz I still think, that he doesn't know for sure, the both times. I'm gonna go on between that time frame, the 10th to the 19th. and let me know, what u came up with. thanks so much. I'd like to ease my mind as well as this is tearing me apart.
The bracket the calendar gives for her ovulating and getting pregnant is October 31 - November 1 or 2.  Until you get more information from her (try to get the estimated due date she was given at her 8th-week ultrasound) there is nothing more that can be assumed.
ok. thank u very much. we'll try, but I doubt it. as she wont tell him nuthin or even talk to him. she has had no contact, since jan, so. I don't think that we'll find out. if we do, by sum weird chance happening, or hear sumthing, i'll letcha know. K?
If she gets as far as wanting a DNA test, he should do it with good grace, but should insist it be done at a lab certified by the courts for determining paternity, not done with an over-the-counter test.  This way, it avoids mix-ups or switches with the swab.  In his shoes I would not worry too much, if the last time he had sex with her was the 19th.
He wants to. I don't know about her. but, he says that it's not his. he believes that it is not. he's hopin and prayin. He'll still be a father to the kid he said, but wants nothing to do with her. Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I think that he would do that though. Lab. He was told maybe $300-$500 to get it done. Ok. Thank u  much Annie. U've been sooo much help.  and yes. That was the last time. He said. It happened. So, hopefully he is telling me the truth. Cuz I told him, that if he is lying, the truth will come out. When the time comes. And then, we'll know. For sure. I will keep u posted, if I or him, hear anything else. I will try to find out her due date. Thanks again. :)
My lmp began on 1/25 and ended on 1/28. On 1/30 I inserted my NuvaRing.  I had sex with "man A" from 1/30-2/8 every day, unprotected, and he came in me, as normal with my Nuvaring in.  On 2/8 I had unprotected sex with "man B", he did not come in me but somehow I managed to lose my Nuvaring while I was with him.  I noticed immediately after i had sex with man B that nuvaring was missing and could not find it.  
The next day I took plan B, and never slept with man B again. I was planning on getting another Nuvaring but when i told man A i lost it, he convinced me to leave it out as he really wanted to try for a baby.  He does not know about man B or that I took plan B.  From 2/9 onward I have been having unprotected sex with man A every day, with him coming in me, and haven't slept with man B or anyone else.  
Didn't have my period at the end of Feb and I am pregnant.  Haven't been to the doctor yet to determine how far along I am--but in theory, since I took plan B the day after I lost my Nuvaring, there is no chance man B is the father right? When did I ovulate and would using Nuvaring and Plan B have affected my ovulation date? I only had sex with man B once and took plan B the next day, so it is definitely man A's baby right? I really hope so :-(
Thanks for any help...
You ask when you ovulated.  With the Nuvaring in for only part of the week and taking Plan B, it is impossible to tell for sure when you ovulated.  You also say "there is no chance man B is the father right?" and "so it is definitely man A's baby right?"  I'm sorry, but words like 'no chance,' and 'definitely' can't be used in this situation.  Even though simply by the fact that you had a lot of unprotected sex with the first guy, he has the better chance, you can't rule out the second guy.  

You sound like you have been using Nuvaring the way people use condoms, assuming that when it is in, you're protected and when it's out, you are not.  Your doctor should have done a better job describing to you how Nuvaring works.  It's not a barrier contraceptive.  It's a hormone delivery system like the Pill, and it takes a week for the protection to begin after you put it in.  You can't pop it one day and have sex that night and be protected.  The hormones have to work on your body for a week to prevent ovulation.  

For the same reason, depending on what day you lost the Nuvaring, the Plan B might have in fact been a waste of time.  The Nuvaring's hormones basically lag by a week, meaning that they also last a week in your body after you take it out.  If it really did get lost actually on the 8th (do you know for sure it didn't wash out in one of the prior week's sessions, given that you never did find it on the 8th?) -- anyway if it really did get lost on the 8th you would have been covered by its hormones for a week.  This would mean it covered you about as well as the Plan B if you lost it on the 8th, unless the second guy's sperm lasted more than a week.  (Of course, if it came out earlier than the 8th, the second guy's sperm could easily have outlasted its effects.)  Also, Plan B's materials warn that it has about a 1 in 10 chance of not working, meaning there is a slim chance that even if you had this exact series of events without any Nuvaring, the second guy was still a candidate.  

Of the things you have written, it the Nuvaring really was in your body until the 8th, the most likely time to have gotten pregnant was before the hormones in the Nuvaring began to be effective, meaning your boyfriend.  The next most likely time was on or around the 8th, especially if you lost the Nuvaring earlier and just didn't notice, meaning either guy.  Almost equally likely is the chance you ovulated late due do all the fun and games with hormones, and then the question is how long your boyfriend's sperm lasted and how long the other guy's sperm lasted.  If you kept having sex with your boyfriend after the 8th, and IF you ovulated late, he would be the best candidate.  Unfortunately, the other guy still can't definitely be ruled out.  If you lost the Nuvaring somewhere halfway in the week of the 1st, you might have ovulated perhaps a week later, but that doesn't help you much to narrow things down since both of the guys' sperm could have been viable in your system for up to five or six days after the sex.

(Incidentally, I'm assuming the other guy was also unprotected sex.  If he wore a condom, it definitely reduces his chances.)

Here is the thing to do.  Put TOP PRIORITY on getting in for an ultrasound like right now at a good-quality ob-gyn clinic, even if you have to pay for it out of pocket.  (Don't do this at the ER.)  Your best bet is to try for a date that would be 7 weeks from the first day of your last period, even if your ovulation might have been delayed by all of the hormones.  It's important to do this early, go to a different doctor if they can get you and some other doctor can't get you in for several weeks.  

When there, ask the tech or the doctor to tell you your estimated due date based on the measurements and developmental markers of the embryo.  (This is a question you can ask even if your boyfriend goes with you.)  If your boyfriend is not with you, tell the doc or tech that you are not sure what good knowing the first day of your last period really was because your ovulation could have been delayed by the Nuvaring being maybe there maybe not, and by taking Plan B.  If you aren't in the ultrasound room with your boyfriend, tell the tech the truth, that you need as much precision as possible because there are two candidates for dad.  They should give you an EDD (estimated due date), which means a lot in your case.  (They will also give you a number of weeks "gestational age," which means not so much in your case because it will be counting from an estimated first day of your last period.  In other words, when a doctor says "You're 9 weeks pregnant," he doesn't mean "conception was 9 weeks ago," he means "the presumed first day of your last period was 9 weeks ago," and with all the hormones you've been taking, it would be surprising if this aligned with the actual first day of your last period.  So, when they say "x weeks pregnant," that is interesting but you need to hear it as two weeks more than when you ovulated.  If they say "you're 9 weeks 1 day," hear it as "7 weeks 1 day from ovulation.")

Anyway, get in for the ultrasound, and do it soon, because the longer the pregnancy goes the less accurate ultrasounds are for assessing how far along the pregnancy is with any exactness.  Make this high priority or you will wind up worried and wondering all through your pregnancy.  Get your EDD, then put it into an online pregnancy calculator or simply count back on a calendar 266 days, and that will be your estimated ovulation date.  While it's possible that the ovulation date won't rule out the second guy, you might get lucky and it will.

Incidentally, while at the doctor's, get swabbed for STDs.  I assume you trust your boyfriend, but Nuvaring doesn't protect against STDs, so if the sex was otherwise unprotected, the second guy might have given you a gift that keeps on giving.

Write back when you get your ultrasound results and we can see what they might indicate.  I hope they suggest you got pregnant before the second guy.
But what if it wasn't a period just bleeding and you think it was a period?
D2d, if someone has random bleeding, that is pretty unusual.  If such bleeding is not a period, it is unusual to confuse that for a period.  If you have a question about your situation, please feel free to post it on this forum; I looked up and down this thread and didn't find anything from you, but it is confusing to try to find anything with 437 posts on the thread.  If you'll just click on "Back to Community," you can start a post with your own question and details, and I and the other ladies who post on here will answer.   If you post, write the info like this:  "I had bleeding on ___, I had sex on ___ with guy 1 and ___ with guy 2, I have/ have not had an ultrasound, the doctor said my estimated due date was ___, he or she got this date by __ ultrasound, [or] __ looking at a little chart; and I'm nervous because ______."  The info will help us answer your question.
Lets say you had a period March 28 , conception date is April 1st, May  15th you have a ultrasound that says 6weeks , is it possible you can be be 4-4 1/2 weeks?
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who my baby's father is , my scenario is this my boyfriend (Man A) have been trying to get pregnant , we were having unprotected sex for 5 months straight with him ejaculating inside of me , my periods were never consistent the whole time , they would come randomly , the last day I had sex with him was Oct.7 , we then went through a split for a short time maybe a month or 2 , I had a one night stand with man b Nov.12 ,( Man B) claims he did not *** , I then got back with my boyfriend (Man A) December 4th we had sex and he did ejactulate inside of me, December 10. I found out I was pregnant , a week later I had an ultrasound and it said I was 6 weeks , what's the possibility (ManA) is the father and Not (ManB)
I'm sorry I meant December 17th I took the test , and a week later I got the ultrasound ?
You had sex with someone on November 12, and then you had an ultrasound that said 6 weeks on December 24?  (What does "a week later I got the ultrasound" mean, exactly 7 days later than the 17th, so, the 24th?)

Also, please be specific even if you have to look up the ultrasound report.  Did they say you were at 6 weeks exactly -- i.e., 6 weeks 0 days?  And did they give an estimated due date (EDD) at that ultrasound in December?  If so, what was it?

Since you didn't get back with your boyfriend until December 4, it sounds like he was too late to be the dad, in other words, it sounds like you were already pregnant.  But this will depend on whether the ultrasound was really on December 24 that told you you were 6 weeks pregnant, and it also depends on if that ultrasound said 6 weeks 0 days or 6 weeks and some number of days.
hi annie, im concerned about my conception dates as there are two possible fathers. . . my period began on the 16.0ct but my 12 week scan dates the 21st of oct. I slept with one guy on the 21st oct without protection just after my period had ended and another guy on the 4 of nov but I took the morning after pill on the 5th nov ???? please help
December 26 and it was 6 weeks 3days , August 4 is EDD ??
Is there any possible chance that the ultrasound may be wrong ? I could be less weeks than I am , or more weeks than it shows ?
If, on December 26, the ultrasound measurements said the pregnancy was 6 weeks 3 days, it's kind of surprising that August 4 would be named as the EDD, because that doesn't line up with 6 weeks 3 days gestational age.  Did you get the EDD by your own computation?  Did the doctor say 6 weeks 3 days "along" or 6 weeks 3 days "GA" (which stands for gestational age), or did he specifically say 6 weeks 3 days from conception in response from a question from you about it using that word?  He would not have meant conception when saying 6w3d unless he knew this was specifically an issue, because doctors begin the "weeks" count from the presumed first day of your last period, not from the presumed date of conception.  Is there a number on your ultrasound that is labeled as the GA?

Also, was there no sex at all with anyone between November 12 and December 4?
It sounds like the first guy is more likely.  I have to leave the computer until tomorrow right now but will write again tomorrow afternoon in more depth.
Hi Annie. I'm back. It's Sally. I have a due date for u. My boyfriend heard that it is July 20th, or the 21st. One of those two. I hope that u can work with this and let me know what u come up with. Thank u. :)
Here is what the conception calculator gives for the due date of July 20.  But it doesn't really sound like he has any way to know how accurate the due date is -- such as, how did she get it?  Was it given by measuring the embryo in an ultrasound before the 8th week?  For what it is worth, then:

First day of last menstrual period:  October 13
     Probable date of ovulation:  October 27
     Possible dates of conception:  October 23 to 31
     Due date:  July 20 (40 weeks)

A DNA test remains the key for everyone to know what is really going on.  In the meantime he should try not to let her yank his chain.
OK, you said, "im concerned about my conception dates as there are two possible fathers. . . my period began on the 16.0ct but my 12 week scan dates the 21st of oct. I slept with one guy on the 21st oct without protection just after my period had ended and another guy on the 4 of nov but I took the morning after pill on the 5th nov ???? please help."

First, when did you have the 12-week scan, and did they say you were at 12 weeks 0 days or 12 weeks some other amount of days?  

Also, what does "my 12 week scan dates the 21st of oct" mean -- what does it date, do you mean it dates the first day of your last period as the 21st of October?  Or do you mean the date of conception?  If the latter, how did you get that, did the doctor look at the ultrasound and say "you conceived on October 21" or did you use a calculator?  And if the doctor said this from an ultrasound, was the ultrasound in your 12th week?  

Ok, well he did have sex with her on the 19th he says pretty sure that's the date. and he didn't wwear a comdom right away. he said for a min without then put one on. so, precum? possibly? and then he said that he finished in comdom. but I said that it coulda broke, or expired? also, u said conception was 23rd to the 31st? well, doesn't sperm last up to seven days? and he slept with her on the 19th. wouldn't that make him poss father? and the first time he did was the 10th and pulled out method. u said she would've had a period on the 13th though. possibly. he had sex before that though. could it be precum there as well?

Both dates give me a rough idea, that possible pre-*** for both. or am I wrong? cuz we don't even know, if she had a period after they had sex the first time. and the sec time he did, he said pre-*** possibly before he put condom on.  sperm can live up to seven days, well he slept with her the 19th, he's pretty sure. and then theres the conception time , between the 23rd to the 31st. it's gotta be his? no? could she of got pregnant off of pre-***, the first time, or the second time? I'm confused.

How did she get it?  Was it given by measuring the embryo in an ultrasound before the 8th week? The answer to that is she got an ultrasound done on the 16th of December and that is what the results said. that she was 8 in a half weeks on dec 16th. from what the ultrasound said. she told him that. but, she could be lying. but, I cant see her lying about how far long she was. well, actually. ya. he said that she likes to lie. but like u said, before, she didn't know how to add up the gestational age. she coulda told him that, to make it look like his. yes. that is possible. but, he just heard this week, that her due date is july 20th, or the 21st. so, even if shes lying about the weeks back in December, her due date is what counts now. right? it does add up to the right time frame for him, if it was precum that stayed in for up to seven days and she would've conceived that way. between that time frame that u gave me. 23rd to the 31st. they had sex on the 19th and the first time was around the 10th, possibly the twelfth. not sure. sumthin like that. regardless. I told him that he still slept with her between the 10th to the 19th. regardless. so, could it be possible for precum then?
Sorry, Sally, you're losing me.  If her possible date of ovulation was the 27th and if they last had sex on the 19th, it would be unlikely he's the dad.  But you don't know how accurate and precise any of this is.  Ask her for a copy of the ultrasound so you can read dates and lengths and EDDs for yourself.  Listening to vague stuff like "we heard she is due on the 20th" or whatever, is the road to craziness.

Ok. I just thought that sperm can live up to 5-7 days. I thought that u said conception was the 23rd to the 31st? though and if they had sex around the 19th or on that day, then ya. thought that sperm could live that long. ok.  well, if ovulation for her poss could be the 27th, then youre sayin, that theres nooo way that she could've got pregnant after the 19th up until the 26, then right? ok. well, he could be lying then, cuz he was at her place with her boyfriend the 28, 29, 30, 31 and up until Nov 26, becuz we don't live together, he was staying there for like 2 months. living there. it's pretty twisted, yes. cuz he slept with his friend's girlfriend. yes. it was very unfair to me and the guy. they both betrayed us. yes. anyway, ok. well, if that's the case, then he could be the father, due to him being there at that time of ovulation then. but, he swears that he was only with her the two times that I gave u, so I guess that we'll just have to wait till the baby is born and he'll have to get a paternity test to see then, cuz she will not show him and definitely not me the results. no way. and yer rite. we don't know if any of this is true. the dates, the times, etc. I'm just going by with what my boyfriend is saying and what she's supposedly saying to him and others. I heard that she can be a compulsive lier, so who knows if anything of this is right. ok. i'll just wait and see what the truth prevails then. yer right. I cant go by on this. I have nooo proof. just hear say from my boyfriend and hers. ok. thanks so much for listening and helping. I will keep u posted, if I do hear anything. better yet, see something. anything. proof is what I need. ;)
Hello Annie, I desperately need an answer to my question. I had sex with this girl sometime between Feb 11-14th this year then we had a falling out and didn't talk for a while. She messaged me saying she was pregnant and went to the Dr today 4/11 for a u/s. The conception date of the u/s showed 9wks 3days, which suggests the date we had sex would be Feb 4th; which is before we even met. Is it possible that a u/s could be off by 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks when its stating that she is only 9 weeks pregnant?
Hi, JPeterson, sorry, but you're misunderstanding what the "weeks" count means, and the short answer is, you could definitely be the dad; in fact you probably are, if you were the only guy she was seeing around February 11-14.  I hope you haven't burned your bridges by telling the gal you doubt her story because likely it is your baby.  Here is why.

When a doctor, nurse or ultrasound tech says someone is 9 weeks 3 days "pregnant," they are using a medical way of counting and timing pregnancy called the "gestational age," or GA.  A GA count does not begin on the day the doctor assumes conception happened, it begins on the first day of the last period the woman had before getting pregnant.  In other words, if a doctor says to a woman, "Congratulations, you are 8 weeks pregnant!" he means it has been 8 weeks since her last period began, or only about 6 weeks since conception.  

The count of weeks in pregnancy is done this way because the period is a big, obvious signal, not because the doctor thinks a person is really pregnant when on day 1 of bleeding of her period.  (Obviously on day 1 of her cycle, she is not pregnant yet, she is having a period.)  But they do the count that way.  That's why pregnancy, which takes 38 weeks, is counted as being 40 weeks long.  They add a spare two weeks at the front to count back to the presumed first day of the last period.

Now, IF she said to the doctor, "but when did I conceive?" using that exact word, the doctor might be able to move the date forward two weeks and help her make an estimate.  But usually the doc just says "you're 9 weeks along" meaning from her first day of her period, and the woman hears that as meaning conception, and they never clarify their terms.

What this adds up to in your case, is that she would have been most fertile around the 18th, putting you firmly in range because sperm can last in a woman's body 5 days or more.  Here is what the conception calculator says, assuming the "9 weeks 3 days" is a GA count:

Computed first day of last menstrual period:  February 4
     Probable date of ovulation:  February 18
     Possible dates of conception:  February 14 to 22
     Due date:  November 11 (40 weeks)

So.  If you think she had other partners in the week of the 14th, be kind but noncommittal.  Any words that are rude that you say now, you will possibly have to swallow, so swallow them in advance and don't insult her.  If she has had other partners, you will most definitely be in your rights to expect a DNA test once the baby is born, and in fact you are within your rights anyway to ask for one.  (It's too important not to get this straight.)  But if you had unprotected sex with her in the time range of the 11th to the 14th, honey you are not off the hook at all.  And although men hate to hear this, having the baby is the woman's decision, it is her body and she is the one who has to bear it and deliver it.  If you were truly paranoid about ever having the legal obligation to a child, you could have put on your Wellies before going wading.

There is nothing wrong, rude or improper about expecting to do a DNA test, it's the only way to put all doubts to rest.  Knowing who the father is, is important to all three of you (her, you, and the baby).  Just be a gracious grown-up male who stands up to his responsibilities; life will be smoother for you all along the way.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for that in depth response. It helped a great deal and is much appreciated. I agree with you on all of it. There is much more to the story than I care to post to the general public. So we'll just say that I am about 99% sure that I am the father, but just to be certain I will do a DNA test after the baby is born. We are not together, but have an agreement when it comes to the baby and custody and whatnot. I want my child to come from a good home, whether we are together or not. I will still go to all of the Dr appts. and be there throughout the pregnancy for her, we just don't fit as a couple unfortunately.

Thank you so much for your concern though. It really means alot to have caring people like you who offer the information that the other Dr's won't give you since you are not the patient.
Good luck, I think you're probably the dad.  The DNA test will serve to put any lasting worries to rest.
Viewing 401-471 comments: