DNA / Paternity Community
Blood typing for paternity
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood typing for paternity

Sooo, still trying to work paternity out here.  I found out the blood type of the two potential fathers.  One is O+ and the other is A+.  I am O-.  Therefore, i know if the O+ guy is the dad, the baby will have to have O blood type.  If the A+ guy is the dad, there is the possibility that he has an AO allele or an AA allele, since both result in an A blood type.  If he had the AA allele, the baby would definitely have A blood type, since A is dominant.  If he has the AO allele, there is a 50% chance the baby could be A or a 50% chance he could be O.  Is there any way for the A blood type dad to find out if he is AA or AO blood type?  Also, i am scheduled for an amnio due to "advanced maternal age"  (yuck).  I was wondering if they could find out the baby's blood type from the amnio also.  I have found conflicting information online.  Does anyone know if that is possible or not?  Thank you!!
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
I'm sorry, but I know nothing about blood typing and its implications for assessing paternity.  Why not just have a DNA test when you have the amnio?  (They won't do an amnio for that reason, but before prenatal DNA blood tests became available recently, amnios were the only way to know in advance of the baby's birth.)
Blank
I don't think insurance will cover the DNA portion of the amnio and the paternity testing.  I just can't afford to shell out all that money if it doesn't.  I had heard that they will cover it if the doctor bills it as "maternal anxiety."  However, i am not sure how true that is.
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Definitely worth checking into.  How much money are you talking about?  Because the prenatal blood-test outfits (the ones that are reliable, that is) are ranging from $1,700 to $2,100.  If it's more than that, I'd consider the blood test, if you absolutely have to know before the baby is born.
Blank
I posted awhile back because i already used one of those prenatal paternity centers.  Paid them $1300 (not money i had - on a credit card) and then found out they were a scam.  They won't even answer my calls now.  I believe i can get them to cover the blood typing for the baby since i am RH-, but the insurance won't cover any paternity testing costs, which i believe could run another $1000=$1300.  I know blood typing won't always work.  I was just hoping that in this situation it might since guy #1 and i are both type "O" and guy # 2 is type "A".  There are only 2 possible blood types for the baby and each belongs to one potential father (as long as guy #2 can find out if he is AA blood type and not AO).
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Sorry I'm not the one to talk to about blood typing.  There used to be a woman on the Maternal & Child forum who knew a lot about genetics and blood type inheritance, but I haven't seen her posts in a while.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
DNA / Paternity Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank