DNA / Paternity Community
Confused about who my baby's father may be..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Me and my boyfriend broke up at the end of August 2012. We had a baby in January 2012 (which is his 100%). Anyway, while we were broken up I slept with someone else on November 2nd but we used protection and changed the condom a few times so I don't think it broke but who knows.. My (then ex) boyfriend came back around November 14th and we had sex a few days later.. Between the 16th-22nd. We didn't use protection at all and we had sex quite a few times.. I also had my period mid-November although I'm not 100% sure when (gonna have to remember to start writing them down after this baby!!!) but now I'm not sure if it was my period or just spotting. I'm pretty sure it was heavier than that but my memory is failing me now!! Anyway I thought I was pregnant and took a test on December 2nd which came up negative. Then I didn't get my period all month so I took another 2 tests the end of December and both were positive. I had an early u/s done on February 1st which said by the size of baby I was 13wk2d preg. That would be exactly around Nov 2nd when I had sex with the other guy. I'm confused because we used condoms and I seemed to have got my period after.. I'm hoping maybe my dd is wrong and baby is just a little big (my daughter was 10lbs 12oz) but I'm scared its not.
I don't know how to edit this post but I just remembered I got my November period on the 3rd cus it was the day after I'd had sex with the other guy. Is it possible to get pregnant a day before your period?? While wearing condoms??? This stuff keeps me up at night :(
Hi, Chrxssy,

When they did the 13w2d ultrasound, did they give you an estimated due date?
Also, I just posted the following to Stinkywink, and wondered if you knew it too.  Since you've been pregnant before, I can't help but think you do, but something about your February 1 -- 13 week -- November 2 statement is not adding up as though you do know it.  So bear with me and read the following interesting piece of medical information.

Back in Grandma's day (and for generations before that), the only way a doctor had to tell when a pregnancy began was by starting the count with a big signal.  No ultrasounds were available, and not even any pregnancy tests (by my mom's day they used one that would actually kill a rabbit, but nothing like we have now).  So the only way to start the clock for the purposes of knowing how far along a baby was progressing was to begin counting on Day 1 of the woman's last period, before she got pregnant and stopped having periods.  No doctor thought a woman was in fact pregnant when she was having her period, but that was a good place to begin counting.  (Ovulation is hidden and still mysterious in its timing.  Blood, you can see.)  That counting method has persisted until now.  Ultrasonographers use it.  Medical textbooks use it.  Day 1 of "pregnancy" is day 1 of bleeding of the period.  That happens for about five days, and in another seven or so days after that, ovulation occurs.  A full-term pregnancy from conception to birth is 266 days, but doctors back it up by adding another 14 days at the front, making the "40 week" pregnancy 280 days long.  When you were told you were 13 weeks 2 days pregnant, that was the same as being told you were 11 weeks 2 days (or so) from conception.  (UNLESS you asked specifically, using the word "conception."  But just words like "So, how far along am I?" are not going to get you to that info.)  A doc will cheerfully tell you you're, say, 7 weeks along, but in the next breath inform you [if asked] that you're about 5 weeks since conception, and is so used to that form of definition of pregnancy that it won't even occur to him that it is odd.  All medical pregnancy data is calibrated that way.

Anyway, let me know the due date and I'll plug it all into the conception calculator for you.

Annie

My ultrasound tech placed my due date August 7th 2013. I was thinking about it hard last night and since I had my period the day after having intercourse with the one I had used protection with - reading about it, I would have been ovulating about 14 days after it ended, right? My periods only usually last 4 days or so, making it Nov 7-8 by the time it ended.. Which would mean I was ovulating at the right time when I was intimate with my on/off boyfriend. I did tell my doctor that I believed conception happened between November 16-22 but did not as my ultrasound technician. I have another u/s coming up on March 12th, is there anything in particular I should ask?? Reading your comment did give me some relief though because I should be have been about 11 weeks on February 1st. Thanks so much for responding!
Glad you read it, it was long.  lol

Conception calculator gives the following for a due date of August 7th, 2013.  I'd read the numbers as give-or-take three days or so, since the ultrasound was in your 13th week.  (Usually you have to have a 7th or 8th week ultrasound to be more pinpoint, since babies grow at different rates.)

Probable date of ovulation:  November 14, 2012
Possible dates of conception:  November 10 to November 18, 2012
Due date:  August 7, 2013 (40 weeks)
Perfect, thank you!