DNA / Paternity Community
Needing to know

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Needing to know

Ok so I was with my boyfriend for awhile. We had alot of unprotected sex and he always finished in me. I never got pregnant. We break up and I date this guy. We had unprotected sex a couple times and idk if he finished. We broke up and I got back with my boyfriend and we had sex once. I ended up pregnant. I had my son may 18. My due date was the 14. I had sex last with the ex the 8 of august and the 26th of august with my boyfriend. My son came out looking like my boyfriend, but I just need to know.
Hi, of course you need to know.  It is only fair to the child and to both men.

Some questions:  Did you check a conception calculator?  Did you get your original projected due date from an early ultrasound or did the doctor just count forward from the first day of your last period?  Was the baby full term when born?

If your original projected due date of May 14 is used:
- your (computed) first day of your last period before getting pregnant would have been August 8
- possible ovulation on August 22
- potential window of conception August 18 - 26.  

If you use the actual birth date of May 18:
- first day of your last period before getting pregnant would be August 12
- possible ovulation date of August 26
- potential window for conception August 22 - 30.  

If the first day of your last period was in the range above, or if the original due date was reached from an early ultrasound, the earliest conception date given by the calculator is about ten days after you slept with the ex.  Nothing I've seen suggests sperm can live that long in your system.  That said, all you would have had to do is ovulate a few days earlier than average (some women do), or get the due date from a later ultrasound, and that could throw the paternity into question due to the length of time sperm can live in the woman's system and the differences in rates of  growth of the fetus.  

Is there a problem with getting a DNA test?  The bare numbers seem to slightly favor it being your boyfriend's child, but the dates are unfortunately just close enough together to make 100% certainty impossible without one.