DNA / Paternity Community
Paternity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to questions about DNA/paternity. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Paternity

Hello
I am currently 17 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I had an ultrasound done on November 26th and was placed at 8 weeks. My problem is I made a mistake and had intercourse with a man on September 29th whom did not ejaculate in me. I then had sex with my husband on Oct 15th who did ejaculate. I took an at home pregnancy test on November 2nd and it was positive. I did not have a period in between and can not remember the first day of my last menstrual period as I am very irregular and have PCOS. My due date is July 8th. Is there any way to tell who the father is without a DNA test?
On November 26, you were placed by the ultrasound at 8 weeks 0 days?
According to my pregnancy calculator you conceived on the 15th of October. Early ultrasounds are very reliable for dating. At 8 weeks, dating can be off by a few days, but not two plus weeks. As for telling who's the baby's dad without DNA; it's really not possible unless there is a racial difference.
Hi, Beany, while waiting for you to come back and answer the above question, I wanted to ask if you are familiar with the way a doctor begins the pregnancy count.  When they tell you a phrase like "You are 7 weeks 4 days pregnant," they mean "you are 7 weeks 4 days past the presumed first day of your last period."  A 'gestational age' count given by a medical person does not start from conception.  (If you ask specifically, using the word "conception" or "conceived," they can give you a guess, but they do not use that as their count, they always use the presumed first day of bleeding.)  Therefore, if you were at 8 weeks exactly (not 8 weeks 6 days, for example) on November 26, you would have conceived about 6 weeks back from November 26, i.e., somewhere around the time you had sex with your husband, not when you had sex with Mr. September 29th.  If you were at 8 weeks 6 days, you have a slight risk, but not at 8 weeks 0 days.
Anniebrooke is right about that, it's very confusing for a lot of ladies. I used your due date of July 8, 2013. It gave me a conception date of the 15th of october with a LMP (or supposed) of October 2nd. I really think you don't have anything to worry about.
Yes I was exactly 8 weeks. I am aware of the dating going back to the first day of the last menstrual period and not day of conception (I didn't even ask about conception date, just gestational dating). I do believe my husband is the father but I just wanted to make sure!  I know nothing is 100% but I just need peace of mind and to know that I am thinking about it clearly and there is no possible way the first guy (sept 29) is the father. Thanks!