DNA / Paternity Community
Paternity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Paternity

Hello
I am currently 17 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I had an ultrasound done on November 26th and was placed at 8 weeks. My problem is I made a mistake and had intercourse with a man on September 29th whom did not ejaculate in me. I then had sex with my husband on Oct 15th who did ejaculate. I took an at home pregnancy test on November 2nd and it was positive. I did not have a period in between and can not remember the first day of my last menstrual period as I am very irregular and have PCOS. My due date is July 8th. Is there any way to tell who the father is without a DNA test?
On November 26, you were placed by the ultrasound at 8 weeks 0 days?
According to my pregnancy calculator you conceived on the 15th of October. Early ultrasounds are very reliable for dating. At 8 weeks, dating can be off by a few days, but not two plus weeks. As for telling who's the baby's dad without DNA; it's really not possible unless there is a racial difference.
Hi, Beany, while waiting for you to come back and answer the above question, I wanted to ask if you are familiar with the way a doctor begins the pregnancy count.  When they tell you a phrase like "You are 7 weeks 4 days pregnant," they mean "you are 7 weeks 4 days past the presumed first day of your last period."  A 'gestational age' count given by a medical person does not start from conception.  (If you ask specifically, using the word "conception" or "conceived," they can give you a guess, but they do not use that as their count, they always use the presumed first day of bleeding.)  Therefore, if you were at 8 weeks exactly (not 8 weeks 6 days, for example) on November 26, you would have conceived about 6 weeks back from November 26, i.e., somewhere around the time you had sex with your husband, not when you had sex with Mr. September 29th.  If you were at 8 weeks 6 days, you have a slight risk, but not at 8 weeks 0 days.
Anniebrooke is right about that, it's very confusing for a lot of ladies. I used your due date of July 8, 2013. It gave me a conception date of the 15th of october with a LMP (or supposed) of October 2nd. I really think you don't have anything to worry about.
Yes I was exactly 8 weeks. I am aware of the dating going back to the first day of the last menstrual period and not day of conception (I didn't even ask about conception date, just gestational dating). I do believe my husband is the father but I just wanted to make sure!  I know nothing is 100% but I just need peace of mind and to know that I am thinking about it clearly and there is no possible way the first guy (sept 29) is the father. Thanks!