DNA / Paternity Community
Slept with two guys, who is the father?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

Slept with two guys, who is the father?

I am really ashamed of this but my last period ended on the 7th of June, I had sex with guy number 1 June 9th, and as far as I know he didn't even ***. I had sex with guy number two on the tenth, and he came inside of me. Now I had sex with guy number two almost ever night after the tenth for about a week and he came in me 4-5 times total. And I found out Wednesday the 24th that I was 1-2 weeks pregnant! Who is the father? I believe it's guy number two because he came in me multiple times and guy number 1 did not! But I am worried! Please help!!
Hi, Keeli, well, having sex two days after your period ends is a good time to lay in enough sperm to last until you ovulate, since sperm lives 5 or 6 days in a woman's reproductive tract.  So it is possible you won't be able to split the difference between Mr. June 9 and Mr. June 10, unless you learn you probably ovulated on the 16th or later.  But you might be able to learn this, if you have access to good health care.  

See if your ob-gyn (or any ob-gyn you can locate) will give you an ultrasound sometime between the 12th and 21st of this month, July -- that is, right away.  When they ask when your period was, either just tell them you don't want to rely on your last period when trying to determine an estimated due date, or say you don't know for sure.  This will guarantee that any info they give you will come from your ultrasound only.

From the ultrasound, they should tell you a number of weeks 'pregnant,' (their weeks count will begin on the calculated first day of your last period, not on the estimated day of conception) and they should tell you an estimated due date, or EDD.  Once you have that date, you can go home and put it into a conception calculator online, or just count back 266 days on a calendar, to estimate your conception date.  This should help you rule out Mr. June 9 if it is possible to rule him out.

In theory, if your period began on June 2 (you didn't say, so I am guessing), you should have ovulated around June 16, but that's if your periods are always like clockwork every 28 days, and few women's are.  That plus the fact that you had more sex and more ejaculations from the second guy would tend to suggest he is the father.  But unfortunately you can't rule out the first guy except if the ultrasound strongly suggests a later ovulation, or if you get a DNA test.  The prenatal DNA tests are very costly, though they are available and a couple of the labs that do them are reliable.  It's hard to advise you any further without any idea of whether you can get the ultrasound now.  (I do suggest the ultrasound route over the DNA test route because even if you had to pay for the ultrasound out of pocket, it is much cheaper than a prenatal DNA test.)

If you do go for this, please do it immediately.  Although all embryos begin as one cell and they grow for a while at a consistent rate, after a while some embryos might grow faster or slower than average, and then an ultrasound is not going to help determine how far along they are with the precision you need.  By the 12th week (counted from the first day of your last period) ultrasounds are considered to have a margin for error of +/- 7 days if used for dating purposes, and that margin for error (7 days) would be enough to make it impossible for you to rule out either guy.  This is important enough that I would go in and tell the ob-gyn that you will pay out of pocket if necessary for the ultrasound, just so you can get it now.