DNA / Paternity Community
conception date

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

conception date

hello,
i need some help estabilishing a more accurate conception date.
i had sex with a man around the end of march, like march 25 or 26 , he did not come inside of me, we ended up finishing with oral sex, thats how he came.
then my period came a little late, like 5 days late, and also found out through a ultrasound i had an ovarian cyst. (that went away with my period though.)
just to be sure, i took pregnancy tests and they were all negative then.
so my period came around april 3rd, and lasted like 4 days, like it has always been though.
then around april 9 i had oral sex, no penetration at all.
from april 13th on i started having unprotected sex with my boyfriend .
on may 17th i found out i was pregnant, and the same day i had an ultrasound that was stating i was 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant and the due date was january 7th ,2013.
the other ultrasounds i had were stating that my due date was on january 10th, ( morphologic ultrasound i had at 20 weeks, and a 3d one that i had at 25 weeks)
i need to know when i have conceived. my doctor says sometimes around april 16th.
i need to know if there is a chance that i got pregnant , maybe with pre ejaculation sperm, at the end of march,and maybe what i thought it was my period, was only implantation blood?
if so, though, all the ultrasounds i had should have stated that i was 2 weeks ahead, right? please answer me, im very anxious!
Nichole, when counting back 6 weeks 3days from may 17 you only count back 4 weeks 3 days and that would be conception date. Which is April 16, exactly as her doc said.
It's usually 14 days from your last period. SO if your last period was April 3rd your day of onception would be April 17.
And the most acurate ultrasound is the one you had earliest for determining dates.
Personally i think ur doctor is right however u can have it go plus or minus five days.. But never almost half a month to a month. I am pretty sure u got pregnant in the middle of april. Congrats.
First trimester ultrasounds are generally spot on in dating a pregnancy. I got pregnant march 28th with my daughter and my due date was december 21st. This pregnancy i conceived april 26th-ish and my due date is January 17th. Plus implantation bleeding isn't actually flow, its just spotting. You conceived in April.
thank you, i m very concerned..;-( i hope its just my guiltiness killing me, but im very very anxious
well, that looked like a regular period, so i guess it was, plus i think that specially on my first ultrasound they would have noticed if i was 2 weeks ahead , right?
If you were 5 days late and tested and it was negative, I'd say you're very lucky and didn't conceive with anyone but your boyfriend. Congrats! :)
I read all of this. If the first ultrasound is most accurate and that was May 17 stating 6w 3d I would say that's closer to the March dates? Idk. The numbers are too close in my opinion. My doctor uses my first due date even when I measure ahead now... I'm not a conception genius but I'd be open when thinking. Ask your doctor if you can speak with the head nurse in thier staff...?
Also... Seeing that you had sex one week prior to your period I do believe its possible to have a regular period. Your body had most likely already started that process. Don't we release estrogen prior to the release? Really wish Id paid attention in health...
the ultrasound tech would have seen if i was 2 weeks ahead , right?  6 weeks and 3 days , means 4 weeks and 3 days from conception, cause they add 2 weeks from menstrual period, right?
i was 5 days late, but then my period came
We posted at the same time, but yes eleb82
thanks, actually Nichole scared me a little..;-(
Haha I figured I thought I would help clear that up a bit. :)
well, anytime starting from april 13th im safe, cause i know its my boyfriend's baby !    the ultrasound tech looks at the baby measurements and see if they matches with my last menstrual period?
i just needed to know for sure the conception wasnt at the end of march, cause reading stuff online you learn about implantation bleeding, and i started thinking maybe it couldve happened to me. my periods are never regular though, and i guess since i had the ovarian cyst and i was very stressed out then, thats what caused my period to be late.
the march guy also says that he is been told by a doctor that he cannot have kids, cause his sperm is not strong enough, but still..i need to be sure.
Early ultrasounds are most accurate
So this morning I asked my obgyn to read this as it really had me boggled. I hadn't had a period as I missed my depo. He insisted that much of what is said is correct but both methods of guessing conception date would supply two different answers. You would subtract 2w from the 6w3d if your period had arrived as normal. I know its silly but it made me wonder with my own situation. He said to clear your conscience or relieve any stress or debate he'd suggest marking the dates you know on a calender and discussing it. He said even stress around conception can cause a late period. I've had implantation bleeding and from what how he explained it he believes March for you as well but your own doctor can remove any doubt you have. I just wanted to say thank you for this post. Many women are too selfish to consider finding the truth and I think that's honorable. My due date had changed from March 7 to Feb 24 so I was somewhat in a similar spot. My doctor also said he might consider joining this forum lol!
I hope that sounds right. Four kids I have the worst memory.
thank you, but i guess that would make me 2 weeks ahead, and they never said that in my ultrasounds, my doct keeps saying date of conception is  the middle of april. that blood i had for 4 days wasnt spotting, but real blood...unless you can spot looks like heavy menstrual flow. my last two ultrasounds stated i was even 3 days behind. i mean somehow , somebody would have told me if i was measuring 2 weeks more, since the beginning , no?
Eleb, please stop worrying.  Ultrasounds use the medical method of counting.  That method begins the pregnancy's "day 1" with the first day of your last period.  NOT with some guessed-at date of conception.  (Obviously, the first day of your last period, you are bleeding, you are not yet pregnant.  But for generations it has been used to start the count, because it is a big, obvious signal.)  When the ultrasonographer said 6w3d, she was not saying that is when you conceived, but when your last period began.  Then you would have ovulated a couple of weeks after that, and then you would have conceived, as most of the others (and your doctor) have said.  Try not to mix yourself up.  Trust your doctor, don't think the start date of your pregnancy in your medical charts is anything but the start date of your last period.

Regarding "implantation bleeding," it hardly ever happens, and when it does, it is a little bit of rusty or brown blood for possibly a day.  A blastocyst is smaller at that point than the dot over an i in this post, it burrowing into your uterine lining is not going to cause gushers of blood that last several days and look like a period.

Sorry about the guilty conscience, but don't confuse it for medical reality -- your doctor is right about the date of conception.

Good luck, cherish your wonderful new baby!
thank you very much Annie, can you believe that i cannot sleep at night with this heavy guiltiness im carrying? thanks a lot!
Regarding the guilt, well sweetheart, bury it with a shovel and bury the shovel.  You're going to have a baby with the boyfriend you love, you are never going to be unfaithful to him from now until forever.  That is how you atone.  Never dump your guilt load on him in the name of being "honest" (unless the relationship is over anyway and even then, it's not a good idea.)  The temptation to blurt out everything to the one person it would hurt the most is basically prompted by the desire not to have to carry the load alone, it makes the problem someone else's problem but that other person doesn't deserve the hurt.  Be strong woman and do what you can to make the self-dismay go away (possibly talk to a counselor).  But don't confuse it with some kind of supposed inner knowing that there is a risk the baby is not your boyfriend's.  The baby is your boyfriend's!  Take some joy there.  A lot of women in your position don't have this happy answer.  Be a good mommy and be a good wife (or girlfriend) and that is how you make this all right.

(((HUGS)))

Annie
Annie, i forgot to mention that on may 2nd i had a ultrasound to check on my ovarian cyst and the cist was gone, but there was a 2.0 cm non cystic intramural mass in the uterine fundus anteriorly suggestive of an intramural uterine fibroid.

on may 17th when i had my pregnancy utrasound, (i went in the er cause i seen some blood after taking hcg test positive) the tech didnt say anything about this though, only said i was 6 weeks on 3 days.

any way that the tech of may 2nd had mistaken a embryo with a fibroid? if so though, 2 cm is too big for a 2 weeks(fetal age)embryo..what do you think?

when i told this to my ob he said you conceived in the middle of april, due date jan 7th...he keeps saying that to me..
and the "march" man keeps saying he is steril, his sperm is not good to conceive, he is been told so, never had kids. he is not worried at all when i tell him my concernes
Two weeks (fetal age) is not large enough even to see on an ultrasound, that would be four weeks (gestational age) and all the books say you simply can't see anything at four weeks, certainly not the blastocyst.

Please stop worrying.  When the ultrasonographer said 6w3d, she came to that conclusion by measuring the embryo on May 17.  She didn't do it by looking at the notes from May 2 when the first tech mythically mistook a fibroid for an embryo and then adding up with pencil and paper without measuring the actual embryo on the screen right in front of her.  She saw an embryo and measured its actual size, May 17.  Tech number two is not influenced by what tech number one wrote on a report on May 2.

Believe your doctor.  He sounds like you have asked him more than once. Try to be as trusting of your actual trained doctor and ultrasonographer and their professional talents as you are at spinning worry-based theories that necessarily imply that they are incompetent at identifying blastocysts and embryos in the uterus, a job they do every single day.  I heard a funny one from a doctor the other day, who said "Every time I hear 'but I read on the Internet that --' from a patient, it sounds like they are saying 'but I read on the you-don't-know-anything-about-medicine that ..."  Either this guy is your doctor or he is not, but don't nibble him to death over this issue, which even you identify as your conscience and has so little to do with your actual dates and evidence.  Don't plague your one-night stand with your concerns, either, especially if you don't want to amp up the drama to the point where the whole thing gets back to your boyfriend.  Trust and calm down, you are doing fine and are in the right time frame.
thank you !
the ultrasound tech on may 17th did not know about the other i had to check on my cyst on may 2nd though.
what im worried about , still, is the fact that if it was a embryo that she seen on may 2nd, then 2 cm is big, so i guess i should be farther along now, instead of being in my 34 weeks.
what do you think?
i ll get more explanation again from my ob on wedn at my appointment, but like i said, he keeps saying my due date is jan 7th..
maybe on may 2nd she measured the whole gestational sac, but on may 17th they measured the embryo? i dont know what to think...i keep praying, and i can't sleep at night, im anxious all day long ! ;-(
if what she saw on may 2nd was a embryo, that she did not recognise , 2 cm is a big size, if you look on charts, it looks like its 8 weeks...
im very very concerned..
so if i have conceived in the middle of april, i was with my boyfriend from the night of april 13th on.. how come , if the tech on may 2nd saw a embryo, it was already measuring 2.0 cm ?
OK, let's analyze your scenario.  On one side you have:  the first tech saw an embryo, but mis-identified it as a fibroid. For this to be true, that ultrasound technician cannot identify an embryo, something ultrasound technicians do every day.  Where was that large embryo, on May 17?  Was it just gone?  Your second tech saw an embryo on May 17, and measured it, and the embryo was six weeks three days by its crown-to-rump measurement.  For your scenario to be correct, your second trained ultrasound technician is must also be incompetent and have measured the embryo incorrectly, something ultrasound techs do correctly all day, every day.  

The other scenario is that two trained ultrasound techs were correct.  Which of these two scenarios is likely to be true?

If you cannot stop obsessing about this to the point of spinning fabulist tales in your mind, please see a therapist and lay it all out.  It will help a lot.  Hormones during pregnancy and a guilty conscience are a bad combination.

Take care.
To put it more simply, if tech #1 saw an 8-week embryo (which would have had a heartbeat and be clearly an embryo), why did tech #2 not see a 10-week embryo (which also has a heartbeat and looks like a little like a teddy bear, and is moving around in the amniotic fluid?)
tech n' 1 (may 2nd) was tech who came into the military base with her mri truck, and she checked me for my ovarian cyst

tech n' 2 (may 17) was a hospital radiology tech, that did that ultrasound cause i went to the er after seeing a little  spotting blood on toilet tissue.
and then i had to choose a ob and they forwarded everything to my ob doct.

on may 21st my ob doct, re did a ultrasound in his office to make sure the embryo was still there(i know all this cause i went through all my papers yesterday) and it was..and on top of the ultrasound it says GA  lmp  7 w 0 d.
gestational age  last menstrual period 7 weeks 0 days.
so it matches up with the may 17th one.

then had other 2 ultrasounds done by a radiology tech :one ( august 21st) at 20 weeks and 1 day, the morphologic one, and it stated i was 19 weeks and 5 days , and also that my due date was on january 10th, instead of the 7th.

and a 3d ultrasound (on september 25th) that was stating that my due date was jan 10th instead of the 7th..

my doct though kept saying that the firts ultrasound i had at 6 w and 3 d was the most accurate one so he didnt want to change my due date of 3 days later, cause also 3 days its not that relevant..

then everytime he measured my belly starting at 30 weeks, i never measured ahead, always on track.

so what do you think?
what im saying is..someone would have told me by now if i was 2 weeks ahead, right?
You've heard everyone's comments and read everyone's comments and mine too.  Listen to what people are telling you and stop scaring yourself.  It can't be good for the pregnancy, let go and trust your doctor.
thank you!!! very very much