DNA / Paternity Community
dating scan 6 weeks 1 day is this the date of conception/

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

My last lmp was 24/11/12. i had sex on the 8th and 9th december. My december period was due 24/12/12 it did not come. I also had sex on the 23rd and 24th of december. on the 30th december i had a one night stand. I did a pregnancy test 2nd febuary it was postive. I had a dating scan on the 6th febuary and it said i was pregnant 6 weeks and 1 day. the dating scan takes me back to the excat date i had sex and missed my december period 24th december did i concieve (conceive) on that date? When i work back 38 weeks from my due date (1/10/13) it gives conception , ovulation date 8th January, how could i be pregnant on that date if i had no period in december and did not have sex in january? Please can you help i have just turned 40 and really want this bubba but i am so worried not knowing who the father is or date of conception?
combination of ovulating earlier than you think and sperm can live up to 5 days with the right conditions, could explain it. It is also possible that the dating scan is off by a few days.

I went thru Ivf, and my first ultra sound was off by 2 days, based on knowing exact date of conceptions and transfer. So these things can have a little play.
thank you for your reply so are you thinking the one night stand on 30th dec?
can i ask also is the 6 weeks and 1 day give a day or 2 the time of conception i have seen the baby and it is defiantly size of 6 wk with a good heart beat 5-7 crm. I am assuming that you would have to have concieved then for a baby to grow?? If it was 30 dec it would have been 5 weeks at scan?? Thank u.
Chances are the only way you are going to find out who the dad is thru a dna test. The timing and dates are close enough that it is possible for either one to be the father, just looking and counting quickly on my calendar. I would discuss this with your doctor, and see what he/she suggests.
I get the 30th of December guy, if he is the one closest to your ovulation/conception date.  None of the earlier times was close enough to that date.  

If you are doubting the ultrasound (admittedly that is a rather long time span for sperm to last, i.e., 7 or 8 days), go get another, ask them for the due date, and count back 266 days.  

Regarding the missing period, women do miss their periods for other reasons, that's not enough of a clue to discredit the ultrasound (the baby measures 6 weeks not 10 weeks after all).  

But because it is a bit unusual for sperm to last as long as it would have taken for you to conceive around the 7th or 8th, you would not be too careful if you got another ultrasound.