DNA / Paternity Community
pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

pregnant

i went for my first ultrasound and found out i was 16 weeks pregnant. how accurat is the ultrasound on telling me how far  along i am? i had sex on november 27 with my new boyfriend and havent had sex with my ex since the beginning of october. could it be my ex boyfriends?
Not the ex boyfriend's if your ultrasound that gave you a 16-week gestational age was recent.  

Please remember that if a doctor tells you that you are 16 weeks pregnant, he means 16 weeks from the first day of your last period.  Conception would be approximately 14 weeks ago, not 16, the day he gave you a 16-week count.  If the ultrasound was yesterday or the day before, that puts conception around November 26 or 27.  When was the ultrasound?
I went yesterday. My boyfriend doesn't believe he's the father so now we are going tomorrow to get the test done. I'm still worried about the test  
What test do you mean?  Wouldn't it be easier just to have the doctor tell your boyfriend what "16 weeks" means?  
he was at the ultrasound and heared the girl say i was 16 weeks pregnant. he's telling me the date doesnt match up to what he thought . he want to get a DNA test. He thinks  my ex-boyfriend is the father.
There are only two companies out there whose pre-natal DNA blood tests have been shown to be accurate, and there are definitely several companies that are known to have given false results.  If you are going to do a pre-natal DNA test and don't know about the company's reliability, don't waste the money.  They are all expensive, none are certified by the courts, and some of them give false answers.  

Also, if you are going to get a prenatal DNA blood test, you should test with both men.  That way if the test gives wrong results, it is likely to give wrong results for both men and then your boyfriend will see that the test is at fault.

Your dates count out to right around the time you and your new boyfriend first had sex.  A much simpler alternative is for you to go to the bookstore tonight, and get a copy of any of the baby development books that explain this, and look up how doctors count pregnancy out, and show it to him.  The medical way of counting always will tell you the number of weeks from the first day of your last period.  They do not tell you the number of weeks from conception, which comes a couple of weeks later than the first day of your last period, of course.

If your boyfriend doesn't believe you (or me), go to the doctor with him and ask the doctor to explain it.  Don't waste a whole lot of money on a test that can't be guaranteed to be accurate.  We just heard from someone on this site who wasted $1300 on one of those charlatan testing outfits.

Check out:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20827893.200-the-danger-of-unreliable-paternity-tests.html?full=true

and

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/20/health/paternity-blood-tests-that-work-early-in-a-pregnancy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&