DNA / Paternity Community
prenatal dna test, is it reliable?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

prenatal dna test, is it reliable?

I am 25 weeks pregnant and my pregnancy has been crazy since in the beginning i didn't know how far along i was so I told both possible fathers. After 5 ultrasounds that have all given me the same conception date we finally did the prenatal DNA test and get the results in 2 weeks, it was just a blood draw for us both so I'm not sure why more people don't do this unless its a scam. Has anyone ever done this? I am freaking out about these results!
Interesting.  It sounds like it depends on where you got the test, and even the best two companies have not had their reliability fully tested by disinterested parties (though those two companies at least sound better than the tests that have been available on the Internet for the last few years).  Here is from the New York Times about the issue of prenatal blood tests:
_______

"It has already been possible to determine paternity during pregnancy using amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling, the same medical procedures used to test a fetus for Down syndrome. But those procedures are invasive and carry a small risk of inducing a miscarriage, so they are rarely used for paternity testing.

"By contrast, the new tests require only blood samples from the pregnant woman and the potential father. And doctors generally do not have to be involved.

"That could vastly expand testing, said Sara Katsanis of Duke University’s Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy. She is planning a study with one of the testing companies to see if prenatal paternity testing can reduce a pregnant woman’s stress.

"Some noninvasive paternity tests have been offered over the Internet for about a decade, and there have been various complaints about inaccurate or even fraudulent results.

"But experts say the technology has advanced to the point that such testing can now be done reliably. A brief paper describing one such test, developed by a company called Ravgen, was published recently in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine.

“I have no doubt that these tests will work clinically,” said Dr. Mark I. Evans, a professor at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and director of Comprehensive Genetics, a medical practice in New York that specializes in prenatal testing.

"The tests analyze fragments of DNA from the fetus that are present in the mother’s blood in tiny amounts. The same approach is now also being used to noninvasively determine the gender of the fetus or whether it has Down syndrome. And researchers recently demonstrated that they could even determine a fetus’s entire genome this way.

"Ravgen, a small company in Columbia, Md., has been offering its test on a limited basis and charges $950 to $1,650, depending on the circumstances, said Dr. Ravinder Dhallan, the chief executive.

"Another test was developed by a company in Silicon Valley called Natera, and is marketed by DNA Diagnostics Center, a leading provider of conventional paternity tests. Thousands of the prenatal tests have been ordered since going on sale last August, executives say. The price is $1,775, compared with around $500 for a conventional postbirth paternity test.

"Neither test has received a certification for accuracy that is necessary for use in child custody cases, though Natera has applied. The certifying organization, the AABB, is seriously considering whether it should certify prenatal tests, said Eduardo Nunes, senior director for policy, standards and global development at the organization, formerly known as the American Association of Blood Banks.

"Still, some experts urge caution. Natera has not yet published any data about its test in peer-reviewed journals. Ravgen’s paper in The New England Journal of Medicine discussed just 30 samples. (The test correctly distinguished the father from a randomly chosen man in all 30 cases.)"

We got the test done by DNA Diagnostic Center but I have to say it was quite difficult to even set up the test. I had to talk to about 5 different people and received slightly different information from each person and my baby's father and his attorney received slightly different information. If you google the company there is nothing that says its a scam but I worry that it could be inaccurate and then when the baby comes he'll refuse a standard test.
It sounds very unpleasant.  If they have not received a certification of accuracy that is necessary for use in child custody cases, probably the guy could not use having had this test to refuse to test again when the baby is born.  A judge would tell him to test again, if you attorney presented the lack of certification.  Can you test the other guy when the baby is born, or do you think he would also resist?
I could probably test the other guy but according to my ultrasounds he is not the father. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see but it makes me pretty nervous. I hope I didn't make a mistake by agreeing to do this!
If DNA tests are considered more sound legally and more reliable after the baby is born, and if you're all getting mixed messages from the company that did the prenatal test, your attorney won't have trouble getting Mister FootDraggy to test again, no matter what his attorney says.  (Incidentally, unless you two are on good terms, don't be talking to directly to him if he has counsel.  Once attorneys are retained, all comms should be between your attorney and his attorney.  That way, he can't bluff you or buffalo you or get you to concede something you don't need to concede.)  

Anyway, since the test has ways it can be questioned, you'll be able to get another one, even if it has to be done by a court order.  I don't think you made a mistake in getting one, but it might not advance things very much either.  I'm sorry.
He's somewhat of a public figure so he has a general attorney not a family law attorney that I have been dealing with. We're somewhat getting along but I feel like sometimes he's just trying to appease me so I don't go public with our circumstance. In the beginning I was being harassed by his friends, my mail was even opened and stolen and I got threatening messages so I thought that's why his attorney got involved in the first place but I'm not really sure. I cannot afford an attorney though and he has the means to get a good expensive one so.... I've been trying to play nice. Is it hard to get a court ordered test after the baby is born?
I don't think so.  You might check in with a legal-services clinic if you can't afford an attorney.  Many law schools sponsor them, and their clients can get reduced filing costs and so forth if their income is really low.  You definitely need to be represented by counsel, since he is.  You can't let him buffalo you with speeches about "having had one test he does not have to take another."  You really need to know who the father is for moral reasons alone, not just things like child support.  Your child deserves to know, and you owe it to both men to correctly identify the right one.

Tread cautiously if you think you are in danger from his friends or connections, though.  Keep your plans (to ask for another test) to yourself, until the day your attorney serves him with a summons.
I know this was posted a while ago, but I must add for any other people who might read this. I was in the same situation - long story short I took a prenatal paternity test through the ol reliable ravgen but only had one alleged father tested (mistake) and it came back he was  the father. I had my son a month ago and my boyfriend, the other alleged father and I got a DNA test with our son. Came back my boyfriend is the father and ravgen gave me false results. I just recommend waiting til the baby is born. I went through absolute hell because of the results ravgen gave me. I hear all these good stories about them, but yet I get wrong results. I thought it was strange. Never do it! Best to wait it out even though I know how hard it is. Good luck to anyone who has the same situation going on and just stay strong! :)
That is too bad to hear, both the DDC and Ravgen do have good names.  Did Ravgen at least refund your money?
That's what I heard as well. Ravgen is mostly known for their genetic testing. But he did offer a refund of my money. There is still a lot to figure out, I'm definitely going to get to the bottom of this - I need a straight answer, not just apologies from the company.
Now that the baby is born, I would suggest testing more than once, using more than one lab, just to be sure of what is going on.  It's possible to fake DNA tests by deliberately mixing up samples.  Good luck getting to the bottom of it.
I just paid for a test through RavGen, and they said they haven't had any false results or issued any refunds. Who did you talk to?
Did you get reply to your last post? Interested in other ravgen reports
Hi, Grandmonva5.  The two posts from SuperMom0122 are the only posts we have ever had from that person, and nobody following up was able to find any evidence of the situation described, not even by contacting RavGen directly.
Thank you for prompt reply. I had inquired of company myself and they had heard about a posting but indicated no awareness of such a case.
ugh that scars me now cuz i did the prenatal test with ravgen when i was 12 weeks prego and it said that the guy that i tested was the father, so i moved in together and everything is going really good. im 30 weeks prego and now that my due date is just around the corner im getting nerves about if the test was right,
Hi lovisiah, try not to worry, Ravgen has a very good reputation.  There is nothing wrong with testing again once the baby is born, many labs are available to do post-natal testing that are certified by the courts for determining paternity, and the cost is only a tenth of the cost of prenatal testing.  That way your fears would be totally gone forever.
Hi everyone -

Please keep in mind that when you come to a site such as MedHelp, you will read posts by members with all kinds of different experiences and views. This is a great thing, as you can gain more knowledge from that.

It does open it up for more possibly negative or scary info, though, too. SuperMom0122 says that she had a false result from Ravgen, which is unfortunate, but keep in mind that she is one person among many who use their company, and their website says they have an accuracy rate of over 99%. I don't know a lot about this stuff, but many members say they are one of the best,

So rest easy, and keep perspective, and enjoy being pregnant!

Emily