DNA / Paternity Community
prenatal dna test, is it reliable?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to DNA/Paternity testing. The purpose of the community is for members to discuss information and share support with members who have questions about DNA / Paternity testing. Topics include when to test, types of tests, cost, reliability, confidentiality, legal issues, and results. All questions and comments posted in the patient to patient forums are provided by individual visitors who are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.

prenatal dna test, is it reliable?

I am 25 weeks pregnant and my pregnancy has been crazy since in the beginning i didn't know how far along i was so I told both possible fathers. After 5 ultrasounds that have all given me the same conception date we finally did the prenatal DNA test and get the results in 2 weeks, it was just a blood draw for us both so I'm not sure why more people don't do this unless its a scam. Has anyone ever done this? I am freaking out about these results!
Interesting.  It sounds like it depends on where you got the test, and even the best two companies have not had their reliability fully tested by disinterested parties (though those two companies at least sound better than the tests that have been available on the Internet for the last few years).  Here is from the New York Times about the issue of prenatal blood tests:
_______

"It has already been possible to determine paternity during pregnancy using amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling, the same medical procedures used to test a fetus for Down syndrome. But those procedures are invasive and carry a small risk of inducing a miscarriage, so they are rarely used for paternity testing.

"By contrast, the new tests require only blood samples from the pregnant woman and the potential father. And doctors generally do not have to be involved.

"That could vastly expand testing, said Sara Katsanis of Duke University’s Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy. She is planning a study with one of the testing companies to see if prenatal paternity testing can reduce a pregnant woman’s stress.

"Some noninvasive paternity tests have been offered over the Internet for about a decade, and there have been various complaints about inaccurate or even fraudulent results.

"But experts say the technology has advanced to the point that such testing can now be done reliably. A brief paper describing one such test, developed by a company called Ravgen, was published recently in the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine.

“I have no doubt that these tests will work clinically,” said Dr. Mark I. Evans, a professor at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and director of Comprehensive Genetics, a medical practice in New York that specializes in prenatal testing.

"The tests analyze fragments of DNA from the fetus that are present in the mother’s blood in tiny amounts. The same approach is now also being used to noninvasively determine the gender of the fetus or whether it has Down syndrome. And researchers recently demonstrated that they could even determine a fetus’s entire genome this way.

"Ravgen, a small company in Columbia, Md., has been offering its test on a limited basis and charges $950 to $1,650, depending on the circumstances, said Dr. Ravinder Dhallan, the chief executive.

"Another test was developed by a company in Silicon Valley called Natera, and is marketed by DNA Diagnostics Center, a leading provider of conventional paternity tests. Thousands of the prenatal tests have been ordered since going on sale last August, executives say. The price is $1,775, compared with around $500 for a conventional postbirth paternity test.

"Neither test has received a certification for accuracy that is necessary for use in child custody cases, though Natera has applied. The certifying organization, the AABB, is seriously considering whether it should certify prenatal tests, said Eduardo Nunes, senior director for policy, standards and global development at the organization, formerly known as the American Association of Blood Banks.

"Still, some experts urge caution. Natera has not yet published any data about its test in peer-reviewed journals. Ravgen’s paper in The New England Journal of Medicine discussed just 30 samples. (The test correctly distinguished the father from a randomly chosen man in all 30 cases.)"

We got the test done by DNA Diagnostic Center but I have to say it was quite difficult to even set up the test. I had to talk to about 5 different people and received slightly different information from each person and my baby's father and his attorney received slightly different information. If you google the company there is nothing that says its a scam but I worry that it could be inaccurate and then when the baby comes he'll refuse a standard test.
It sounds very unpleasant.  If they have not received a certification of accuracy that is necessary for use in child custody cases, probably the guy could not use having had this test to refuse to test again when the baby is born.  A judge would tell him to test again, if you attorney presented the lack of certification.  Can you test the other guy when the baby is born, or do you think he would also resist?
I could probably test the other guy but according to my ultrasounds he is not the father. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see but it makes me pretty nervous. I hope I didn't make a mistake by agreeing to do this!
If DNA tests are considered more sound legally and more reliable after the baby is born, and if you're all getting mixed messages from the company that did the prenatal test, your attorney won't have trouble getting Mister FootDraggy to test again, no matter what his attorney says.  (Incidentally, unless you two are on good terms, don't be talking to directly to him if he has counsel.  Once attorneys are retained, all comms should be between your attorney and his attorney.  That way, he can't bluff you or buffalo you or get you to concede something you don't need to concede.)  

Anyway, since the test has ways it can be questioned, you'll be able to get another one, even if it has to be done by a court order.  I don't think you made a mistake in getting one, but it might not advance things very much either.  I'm sorry.
He's somewhat of a public figure so he has a general attorney not a family law attorney that I have been dealing with. We're somewhat getting along but I feel like sometimes he's just trying to appease me so I don't go public with our circumstance. In the beginning I was being harassed by his friends, my mail was even opened and stolen and I got threatening messages so I thought that's why his attorney got involved in the first place but I'm not really sure. I cannot afford an attorney though and he has the means to get a good expensive one so.... I've been trying to play nice. Is it hard to get a court ordered test after the baby is born?
I don't think so.  You might check in with a legal-services clinic if you can't afford an attorney.  Many law schools sponsor them, and their clients can get reduced filing costs and so forth if their income is really low.  You definitely need to be represented by counsel, since he is.  You can't let him buffalo you with speeches about "having had one test he does not have to take another."  You really need to know who the father is for moral reasons alone, not just things like child support.  Your child deserves to know, and you owe it to both men to correctly identify the right one.

Tread cautiously if you think you are in danger from his friends or connections, though.  Keep your plans (to ask for another test) to yourself, until the day your attorney serves him with a summons.
I know this was posted a while ago, but I must add for any other people who might read this. I was in the same situation - long story short I took a prenatal paternity test through the ol reliable ravgen but only had one alleged father tested (mistake) and it came back he was  the father. I had my son a month ago and my boyfriend, the other alleged father and I got a DNA test with our son. Came back my boyfriend is the father and ravgen gave me false results. I just recommend waiting til the baby is born. I went through absolute hell because of the results ravgen gave me. I hear all these good stories about them, but yet I get wrong results. I thought it was strange. Never do it! Best to wait it out even though I know how hard it is. Good luck to anyone who has the same situation going on and just stay strong! :)
That is too bad to hear, both the DDC and Ravgen do have good names.  Did Ravgen at least refund your money?
That's what I heard as well. Ravgen is mostly known for their genetic testing. But he did offer a refund of my money. There is still a lot to figure out, I'm definitely going to get to the bottom of this - I need a straight answer, not just apologies from the company.
Now that the baby is born, I would suggest testing more than once, using more than one lab, just to be sure of what is going on.  It's possible to fake DNA tests by deliberately mixing up samples.  Good luck getting to the bottom of it.
I just paid for a test through RavGen, and they said they haven't had any false results or issued any refunds. Who did you talk to?
Did you get reply to your last post? Interested in other ravgen reports
Hi, Grandmonva5.  The two posts from SuperMom0122 are the only posts we have ever had from that person, and nobody following up was able to find any evidence of the situation described, not even by contacting RavGen directly.
Thank you for prompt reply. I had inquired of company myself and they had heard about a posting but indicated no awareness of such a case.
ugh that scars me now cuz i did the prenatal test with ravgen when i was 12 weeks prego and it said that the guy that i tested was the father, so i moved in together and everything is going really good. im 30 weeks prego and now that my due date is just around the corner im getting nerves about if the test was right,
Hi lovisiah, try not to worry, Ravgen has a very good reputation.  There is nothing wrong with testing again once the baby is born, many labs are available to do post-natal testing that are certified by the courts for determining paternity, and the cost is only a tenth of the cost of prenatal testing.  That way your fears would be totally gone forever.
Hi everyone -

Please keep in mind that when you come to a site such as MedHelp, you will read posts by members with all kinds of different experiences and views. This is a great thing, as you can gain more knowledge from that.

It does open it up for more possibly negative or scary info, though, too. SuperMom0122 says that she had a false result from Ravgen, which is unfortunate, but keep in mind that she is one person among many who use their company, and their website says they have an accuracy rate of over 99%. I don't know a lot about this stuff, but many members say they are one of the best,

So rest easy, and keep perspective, and enjoy being pregnant!

Emily
yes THEIR website says. I want to see more reviews of Ravgen but are finding them hard to locate.  Any suggestions?
Any follow up to this? I used them and I am weary about the results.
Hi, mamame, what makes you think the results are questionable?  Is something about the dates not adding up to the person who came out as the father?
Our results were verified by Ravgen after birth. 100% accurat again. They are a great company, and the staff has been phenomenal with us. Highly, highly reccomend!
Same here. I tested through Ravgen, the person  I feel is the father tested as not the father. My son has blonde hair and the alleged father according to Ravgen is Asian. Seems odd to me.  Please let me know your out come.

thank you
There is nothing wrong with getting another test, perhaps at a local lab certified by the courts for determining paternity, once the baby is born, to double-check the results if you simply can't credit the results that came up.  The ones done after the baby comes are much, much cheaper, it's not like you have to pay the specialty rates that apply when the test is prenatal.  If you are in doubt, re-test.
HEY I READ YOUR POST DID YOU FOUND OUT IF THEY WAS WRONG OR ACCURATE? SORTA IN A DILEMMA WITH THEM MYSELF?
sorry to hear your issue with them i am currently having issues and impatience with them for 2 months now for results i been waiting for 3 days paid for in advance, for them to be unsure on there end.
Did you ever find out your results? Ravgen made me test twice
Giving them more and more blood and told me the person
I had tested was not the father.. I hear of false results I'm just
Wondering how often it is happening. They also could not even tell if I was
Having a boy or a girl. Told me my results were over 99% accurate,
But my doctor says prenatal DNA testing is not 99%.
Hi - Thank you for your post. How many weeks pregnant were you when you took the first test with Ravgen? The test literally came up false? Have you heard of other cases like this? Would love to hear back from you ASAP if possible. Thank you!!!!
Hi - How many weeks were you when you did the test with Ravgen? Did they ask for more blood samples/time? (i.e. have you been waiting 2 months since the first test)? They say they can test as early as 5 weeks, but concerned they will delay and ask for more samples and not provide 99% accurate results until 9-10 weeks. Would love to hear from you ASAP. Thank you!!!
Has anyone used Prenatal Genetics Center??
I tested with ddc currently awaiting results
I wanted to use prenatal genetics center but have not seen any reviews on them. Has anyone heard of them or about them? I need to know asap! I want to do prenatal paternity test
Hi, Nailove, if you can't find information about a company advertising prenatal DNA testing, that is a red flag.  One thing you can do is ask the various companies how many pairs of chromosomes they measure.  The higher the number, the better.  It costs more but the results from some of the cheaper DNA labs are evidently fraught with errors.
Thank you for your response.! I agree so I went with RAvgen, I did a lot of research and was torn between DDC & ravgen! I would have went with DDC but was to expensive for me so I went with ravgen and waiting my results ! I researched the company the dr and his background/education to make sure it wasn't a fraudulent source. So I'm confident it's a legit company just not sure how accurate the results are going to be. I might do an amniocentesis if I'm still unsure that's just maybe..
Hi, Nailove, it's interesting to hear you say that Ravgen was not as costly as the DDC.   In the past that has not been true, from what women report here.  Perhaps they have changed their marketing rationale.  They do have an excellent reputation.

Unless you have a medically necessary reason for doing an amnio (and this also goes for chorionic villus testing) it would be surprising if you could find a reputable doctor who will do it for the sole reason of determining paternity.  These tests are invasive and carry a small risk of miscarriage.  Certainly if you need the test anyway, the doc would also order a DNA test for you if you ask, but he or she almost undoubtedly wouldn't do either test just so you can know for sure who the dad is.  If you are that worried, you can back up your Ravgen test by doing a DDC test, or vice versa.
Hey Annie, I forgot to mention the reason why it was cheaper, it was cheaper at ravgen because I paid for a three week price, meaning they won't give me my results any sooner that that, 3 weeks if not more. If I paid to get the results in 1 week it's more exspensive! 1 week from when the samples are received. That does make sense to do a DDC test & see if the results are the same. I know DDC have doctors they can refer you to that do the invasive testing which is my last resort because of how it carries small risk of danger. I will do a test a non-invasive DDC very soon as well. I promise to let you guys know my results from both &a paternity after my baby is born in February. I know how stressful this is to women in this situation.

I'm so grateful for all the women that share there story & reviews on companies or I would have never known and went to accu metrics I was so so close until I did more research then decided on ravgen! Thank you ladies. I don't know accu metrics & how accurate they are but I'm more confident with ravgen and DDC!

So I will be definitely letting you girls know how accurate they companies are and giving my reviews as well!
Please help! i did a test through ravgen only testing one alleged father. Which is my long term boyfriend. We had a little separation for a couple months but decided to come back while getting back together i didn't stop seeing my second partner which i regret deeply! I'm pregnant and my boyfriend partner 1 is so happy and loves that he's going to be a father he's so amazing and makes me feel like a queen. Im so guilty and desperate to know who forsure is the father. So besides the story here are the facts

Had last menstrual cycle 4/30 my periods were irregular for the last two months before getting pregnant. Took a pregnancy test 6/17 confirmed pregnancy did an U/S on 6/22 and doctor said there was no baby yet that my uterus is preparing to get pregnant. Came back for another U/S on july 7 it stated i was 6 weeks 6 days. i actually took it at the hospital because i was bleeding probley due to stress my placenta was separating so i needed to be on bed rest. doctor confirmed there U/S but said plus or minus 5 days which mean possible date of conception was JUNE 4. OR May 31. I had sex with my boyfriend partner 1 5/26 and partner 2 5/28 only once and never again after that( he told me when he was about to ejaculate so we stopped and i seen him use his boxers to put his ejaculation on.) Me and partner 1 my boyfriend had sex 5/30 and he normally ejaculates he's been trying to get me pregnant for years but i wasn't ready but he didnt fully ejaculate inside he used a towel. then a couple days later we did it again and he did ejaculate.

I did a prenatal test through Ravgen i told my boyfriend that i needed a cheek swab to use for cord blood banking they can find a match i made up a big lie so i can get a proper dna cheek swab and not a "discreet sample" so he agreed i did the swab on his cheeks and went to get a blood draw and sent all the samples in my blood and my boyfriends cheek swab only his i didn't test the other guy because he was upset that i went back to my boyfriend so he demanded me not to speak to him, so i just used my boyfriend partner 2 DNA sample. Ravgen said it was a match. the sample matched the fetal DNA that was floating in my blood. I feel half way ok but not completely wanted to know  what others thought of my dates and if they add up. i am 23 weeks now exactly today. according to my doctor but 23 to 24 with the plus or minus 5 days. i just hope the U/S putting my conception date at june 4 is accurate !

pls help and tell me what you think and if anyone used RAVGEN and if they are comfortable with there results.

I mean I used partner 1 DNA sample* correction to previous post! Did not use partner 2 sample  to test. I only used my boyfriends DNA sample cheek swab to get tested and it was a match but still unsure because dates are so close. ??
Ravgen is the gold standard in prenatal DNA testing.  Sixth-week ultrasounds are not usually 5 days off.  If the doctor did an ultrasound on June 22nd and you had gotten pregnant from the sex on May 28th, he would have seen an embryo.  I would try to relax.
It's good to hear a good review about ravgen puts me a little more at ease! And my ultrasound I'm hoping it's accurate I have heard that 6 weeks ultrasounds are the most accurate early in pregnancy! I'm just praying it's my boyfriends. I'm going to definitely relax and not stress to much! Thank you
I am in the exact same situation, but went through ravgen. I was almost 100% sure that the partner I was planning a baby with was the father, as we had intercourse on the day of ovulation and the other partner was not even in my fertile period. Both partners used the withdrawal method, and I had the guy that I did not think was the father tested, but only his DNA was used. Results came back he is the father, and am racking my brain, because nothing adds up. Even my early ultrasounds matched my LMP. I am so confused and am praying they are wrong! I talked to Ravgen and they said their test a foolproof and there is no chance they could be wrong, especially since there was a match.
I posted this above as well to supermom. I am in the exact same situation, but went through ravgen. I was almost 100% sure that the partner I was planning a baby with was the father, as we had intercourse on the day of ovulation (according to cycle) and the other partner was not even in my fertile period. Both partners used the withdrawal method, and I had the guy that I did not think was the father tested, but only him. Results came back he is the father, and am racking my brain, because nothing adds up. Even my early ultrasounds matched my LMP. I don't understand how if the guy did not even ejaculate inside me how it is possible for sperm to live up to 5 days.

Basically my menstrual cycles are always 30-31 days never earlier than that. Some months went 32 days. My LMP was April 11th. I found out that I was pregnant May 7th with a beta level of 35. The drs told me that was average for 10dpo, which I would have been according to my cycle. I was with partner 1 on the 22nd, and partner 2 on the 27th. According to my cycle my ovulation date is the 27th, and even had signs of ovulation. All my early ultrasounds match my LMP to the date. With the results Ravgen gave me means I ovulated on cycle day 12 and had extremely low beta levels (which should have resulted in a miscarriage). As I am 33 weeks pregnant that is not the case.

I am so confused and do not understand how partner 1 is the father and am praying they are wrong! I have contacted Ravgen and asked if it was possible to have a false positive result since only one alleged father was tested and they said no. Is there hope that this baby could be the second partners and the results are wrong! I do plan on having the baby retested after birth, but I feel my whole life has shattered around me and all this stress isn't good for the baby. Thank you!
Hi, jazzy, did you know that sperm can live up to 5 or 6 days in the woman's reproductive tract?  If you had sex with one guy on the 22nd and another on the 27th, you could easily have had viable sperm from both guys in your Fallopian tubes at the same time, the 27th.  It is less surprising that testing should name the guy who you thought was not in the fertile window if that guy was the first of the two guys, since sperm lives so long.  You did not need to ovulate the day you had sex, you could have ovulated five or (some research says) even six days later and still gotten pregnant from that first sex.
In short, the question is, can sperm last long enough in my reproductive tract to live from the 22nd to the 27th when I evidently ovulated?  And the answer is, yes, it can.  The research I've seen quotes anywhere from 4 to 7 days or more, for sperm longevity in the woman's body.  The most usual figure mentioned is 5 days or 5-6 days.  It sounds like you were thinking Mr. 22nd was out of your fertile range entirely, and I'm sorry, that isn't true.
I went threw a company that did the prenatal testing threw DDC , results that were only supposed to take 7-10 took over 2 1/2 months to receive first time they said inconclusive, the second time they could receive an answer so I needed to give more blood and the third time the alleged father needed to give more blood . Needless to say the results came back saying he was not the father.. I am not comfortable with the results because it was such a close situation and the period it took for the results. Can anyone help me with this ? And if I should re test after my son is born?
Hi, Momtobeej09, are you certain that the company did the prenatal testing through the DDC?  Did you set it up on the DDC's website?  (Someone wrote in recently saying they had been given a "special price" on a test and had been led to believe it was the DDC, but nobody on here had ever heard of this "special price" offer, and people here are pretty aware of the DDC and what it charges.)

Anyway, if you are not comfortable with what happened and question the results, by all means, go to a lab certified by the family courts in your area for determining paternity, and test again.  It is much cheaper to test once the baby is born.  Especially if you need a paternity test that is certified by the courts, test again, I don't think prenatal tests are admissible anyway.
@anniebrooke the price was 1500$ but with all the set backs they gave us 1000 dollars back due to "inconvenience" and I called ddc 3 times during the wait and they wouldn't even tell me ANYTHING not even if they were testing our samples because we went threw a company and only they could know the information..
I am not sure that your samples really were done under the auspices of the DDC.  The pricing doesn't sound right.  
Momtobeej09, I looked up Dr's Choice First, the lab you mentioned you went to, and could not see anything on their website that says they have a relationship with the DDC or even with a lab that does testing for the DDC.  Not to say there is no such thing as a local lab having a relationship with a national lab, but it seems like if they did, it would be in their advertising.  What made you think the DDC was involved with testing your samples?
In any case, you should re-test when the baby is born, using a lab certified by the family courts in your jurisdiction.  It rather sounds like you did not have a test done by the DDC.
has anyone ever used www.prenatalpaternitiesinc.com/ Not sure if I should trust it. and you don't need a blood sample from the possible father, they have discreet ways of getting dna or a cotton swab....
Try Ravgen or the DDC (DNA Diagnostic Center), they have good reputations.  A lot of labs offering this service have bad reputations.
Helpp !! Before me & my fiancé got together he was on hard core drugs & was sleeping with this girl .. He said he wore a condom & she was also sleeping with other guys . well he got off the drugs in dec 2013 & no longer messed with her well .. He found out she was pregnant & she told him he was just a possibility that there were other guys . she was due October 17th 2014 .. Which would have made her conceive around the end of january . well he offered to pay for a DNA test & all that & she refused a year later she went to the child support office in rutherford county & they had summoned him to take one . apparently she had hers taken October 20th 2015 & they took his dec 1st . well when we got the results back it said he was the father . but the people at the office said it would take 4-6 weeks to get back , but on the results it had been signed on the 9th of december ..we think the test may have been forged or something bc they never called him & we waited 6 weeks & a day & they also wouldn't tell him on the phone . so we went in to get them & all she did was hand him the results & he asked if he opened it there or later & she told him it didnt matter .. Well he opened it there & she said you know what this means right & he said yes & went to leave .. Then she said oh & the sheriffs department will be by in the next 2 weeks to summon you to court. It just doesnt seem legit to us bc the dates dont add up At ALL & when he took the test the baby mama was running her mouth sayin that she cant wait till we open the results & sees our face & that god works in mysterious ways which seems sketchy to us & as well as he & the mother of the child had some same genes/dna . we were told to do a blood test to make sure 100% bc the baby looks NOTHING like him , We have a son which looks like him , but the other child is a girl. so we are going to talk to someone about it . she will also sleep with anyone to get what she wants & the boss is a male & when we were there he was checking me out & all that ,so we thought that may be a possibility. any opinions or thoughts on this ?
CBJsmommy, he should hire a lawyer and get another test at a lab that is legitimate.  If he is hauled into court in the meantime, he needs to let the lawyer do the talking, explaining that she was due October 17 and that he had no longer had sex with her after December the prior year, so he is requesting another test because he feels this one might have been in error.

Do no let your boyfriend go to court without a lawyer.  Don't let him talk in court if he is going to say the test might have been forged or someone was bribed or the guy was checking you out.  He should not talk in court at all unless the judge asks him a yes or no question.  You should not talk in court at all.   (Statements along the lines of "the test was forged" and "she will sleep with anyone to get what she wants" will merely alienate the judge.)  

Another test is not an outrageous request when he stopped sleeping with her in December and the baby came in October.  He can't prove that he stopped sleeping with her then, and if the second test comes out showing he is the father he is going to look like he was mistaken in his dates, but that is the best play for getting a court order for her and the baby to submit to retesting at a more legitimate lab.
Thank you so much ! He wants to get it court ordered , but i looked up the place & all the reviews are horrible saying that the child support place in murfreesboro never gets back to anyone ,never serves anyone , & some people also said that they've had their case for 2 years & nothing . its been a week already & noone has served him . My friend told me a place she went in smithville that offers swab or blood test that we were gonna go if we didnt go to court . We also thought it was weird because when the baby was born my fiancé offered to pay for a dna test & such & she refused claimed she didnt want him in her life & didnt need him or his money .. Now she messaged asking if he wanted to meet her being all nice , which we find totally awkward being on she hates him & didnt bring anything up about child support or court . i just find it very weird . & he told her no he didnt wanna meet the baby until he gets a blood test bc he doesnt wanna just jump into her life . if she agrees okay we'll pay for it but if not we're gonna make sure we get a court order . but the place is called pts in smithville , that we may go to get the blood test . but im also worried that eay , bc that's where she lives .
Talk to a lawyer, don't do this all yourselves.  Give her the lawyer's name if she contacts him.
Thank you so much ! You've been alot of help , you also have alot of knowledge on this subject . again thank you .
Did you get tested again? I'm going to get tested again Bc I'm freaking out.
Just wanted to say that I had my son retested after birth through the court. They used DDC and results came back same as my noninvasive prenatal through Ravgen. Ravgen is definitely a good company to go with!
Thanks, Jazzy.
I mean, thanks for posting back!  :)