Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Blood clot?

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Blood clot?

In October of 2011, I got a very bad bruise on the back of my calf. It was purple, sore, and very hard to the touch. Since then, I have been experiencing some pain and muscle cramps in my calf. It is not constant, but the past few months it has gotten worse. When I wake up in the morning, my leg is normal size but sometimes I have some cramping. As soon as I sit down to work, it starts swelling up. My calf will feel very tight and the muscle starts feeling hard. I tried putting my feet up on my wall before I go to to bed, but that makes the swelling worse, and when I flex my foot in that position, I have a very sharp pain in the muscle on the back of my calf.

I asked my doctor about it and he just said to get up every 15 minutes or so and prescribed a diuretic. Could this be a blood clot? There is no warmth in that area, but I don't know what else it could be. I also have chronic sciatica and pain running from my lower back, but I read that does not cause swelling.
I have also been experiencing lots of muscle cramps and pain on the back of my calf since i got a bruise on my calf as well.  If I sit too long the muscles in my calf really hurts.  I try to get up and walk around every 20 minutes and it helps but then when I sit again it starts again.  Where you able to find something that helps?