Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Bulging Vein after intravenous

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Bulging Vein after intravenous

Hi Doc, two weeks ago my husband (33 years old) had an IV inserted through his left hand vena on the wrist (below the thumb) for 8 days.
He was treated for typhoid and liver function disturbance.
Since he left hospital 2 weeks ago, the vein is bulging and somewhat movable when touched.
- Is it some kind of phlebitis / varicose / ... ?
- Does it need treatment ?
- What can I do to reduce its swelling ?
Please help. Thank you so much...
Wilsa – Indonesia
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Wilsa,
How is your husband? Are there other symptoms present? Phlebitis or inflammation of the veins may present with pain, tenderness, redness, and bulging of the vein. Fever, pus, and palpable cords along the course of the vein may be a sign of a superficial clot or superficial thrombophlebitis, or infection. Physical examination and diagnostic tests such as ultrasound may help. Superficial phlebitis can be treated by applying warm compresses, elevation of the involved extremity, encouraging ambulation , and anti-inflammatory medications. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by a doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.