Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Clot Filter Question

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Clot Filter Question

In August 2009 after a back injury I developed a clot I was told was behind my right knee and landed in the hospital for three weeks, during which time I also had back surgery. But before surgery a filter "umbrella" was placed in my leg.(I was on Coumadin until November 2010).

It's been difficult dealing with and getting straight answers from the hospital, but I still get some swelling in my lower right leg and there is now a smooth darkened area on the inside of my leg just above my ankle the is almost completely numb to the touch.

I was finally told that the filter was the reason for the swelling and when I asked when it was going to be removed I was told that it had been too long and as a result it would be difficult to remove it now. And now i have to wait again for an appointment to speak with a specialist about the matter.:-(

I'm not at all happy about this and would like to know if there can be any future problems with the filter. And also if it could be the cause of the swelling and discoloration I have.

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to see your doctor regarding the filter? Do you still experience the symptoms that you mentioned last August? Filters are usually indicated to prevent blood clots from traveling to the lungs  While filters may indeed cause complications such as malpositions, migrations, breakages or trauma, the benefits for placement usually outweighs the risks as evaluated by the attending physician. It is best that you talk about this with your doctor for proper evaluation. The type of filter, location and your medical history are important considerations.  Imaging studies may also help with the management plan. Take care and do keep us posted.