Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
DVT or PE?

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

DVT or PE?

OK to start off I've been bed ridden for over a year. I developed intense pain behind the knee along with swelling and it is worse each day. A few days later I developed sharp pains in the back and chest. The pain is deep and extremely painful, shortness of breath and a cough. I went to the ER and they did a CT with contrast on my lungs, a xray of the knee, and a d-dimer blood test, all came back normal. SO my question is what is the chance that i still have a DVT or PE? I'm really nervous and have no other clue as to what this pain could be. I'm completely bed ridden and know it cannot be something pulled and what not. I was discharged from the ER and I'm happy all test were good but I'm confused. what are the chances of these test being normal and still having a blood clot?
Tags: dvt, pe, blood clot, embolism, deep vein thombosis
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that the diagnostic  tests done showed normal results. These are often reliable and the chance of having a DVT is unlikely. Other differentials should also be ruled out including nerve or musculoskeletal issues. If the symptoms persist, it is best that you discuss this with your doctor for proper evaluation. Additional diagnostic tests may be indicated. Take care always.