Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Ganglion and dvt?

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Ganglion and dvt?

Hi... I have what the doctor believes to be a ganglion cyst on the top of my foot (still needing confirmation by ultrasound). It started to develop after a bad ankle injury about 18 months ago. I sprained the same foot recently and it was painful for a few days but settled  down. Now over the last few days I've noticed a dull pain in my calf. Before the continual calf pain I was getting quite bad calf cramping at night. I do have a sedentary desk job and I don't get alot of exercise... Could the ganglion cyst contribute to dvt?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Ganglions are small sacs or cyst like structures that are filled with fluid that often appear as bumps. They can develop on hands, wrists, feet, ankles, knees, or shoulders. If any such cyst ruptures or bursts it can cause calf pain, redness, swelling and can lead to deep vein thrombosis or DVT. It can compress vascular structures and lead to leg edema. Get an ultrasound done and do discuss your queries with the treating doctor. I hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Best luck and regards!
I would definitely get an ultrasound. another thing you can do is wear gruduated compression socks, move around,  do mild exercise such as walking only, elevate the leg when sitting and drink lots of water. Red wine, ginger and ginko biloba are all good natural blood thinners.