Is Deep vein Thombosis
Is Deep Vein Thombosis considered a heart disease?  I'm applying for a Captians lic, but one of the disqualifying conditions is heart disease. My DVT was caused by trama to my left leg in late 07, and developed DVT ealy 08. Since then----I now have Postphlebitlic Syndrome. I have not had any DVT issues since 08......Would I be disqualified for applying for this lic.?
Hello and welcome to the forum! In DVT there is partial or complete obstruction of the deep veins by a blood clot seen commonly in the legs. It causes pain and swelling in the affected limb. It is not a heart disease. But sometimes it can lead to a serious complication called pulmonary embolism if the clot travels to the pulmonary arteries.  It is characterized by shortness of breath, chest pain, increased pulse rate, and bloody sputum. It can be fatal sometimes. In Postphlebitic syndrome there is pooling of blood in the leg causing swelling and occasional pain. You might have been recommended to wear elastic stockings. Since you do not have any fresh episode of DVT since 08 chances of your qualifying are high. Considering that your job entails prolonged sitting you should be healthy enough to complete your in flight responsibilities. The decision rests entirely with the authority issuing licenses. Hope it helps.
Take care and good luck.