Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Leg pain and swelling after long flight

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Leg pain and swelling after long flight

I'm having a few strange symptoms after flying the other day and I'm just wondering if I should be concerned. I just got back from a trip to England and I'm having periodic leg pain. After the flight there (8 hours total) I had some swelling in my left leg the following day. It only lasted a few hours and then went away. It didn't actually hurt but was a bit uncomfortable.

After flying back (last night) I'm now having pain in my left ankle and slight swelling. I can't tell if this is just normal for long-distance flights or if I should be concerned about a DVT. Keep in mind, I'm young (27) and don't have any of the general risk factors that I've read about and the only symptoms I'm having are what I've mentioned above. I feel like I'm probably over reacting (which is why I don't just go to the ER) but if it is potentially serious I dont want to mess around with it.
Get it seen to.
It could be nothing, but it's better to be safe then sorry. Put ur mind at rest.
Most ppl do swell when on long flights...I was diangnosed with a DVT in my left leg not quite a yr ago..and my self am young only 22 when they found it...the symptoms are swelling amd tightening of the leg while walking a few steps...if u feel this go dont wait bc mine also went to my lung causing a pulminary embolism...but I wouldnt worry so much..i went on a flight to Hawaii total 12hrs and my legs swell.and ache. this is common for long flights do to being stuck in a small space for a long period.