Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Legs not swollen after bike ride

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Legs not swollen after bike ride

My calves and ankles have been swollen for the last four months. I went to the doctor and I have a vein ultrasound scheduled for the 14th of August. Since then I have put my legs up at night, since our bed reclines and you can raise your feet. The swelling was going down but would reappear at night. Yesterday, I did a 6 mile bike ride and now the swelling is entirely gone. My legs still tinkles but it's not swollen. My question is: If I did have a blood clot in my leg and it broke free. Could if have travelled somewhere else?  What other symptoms would I have? Can't understand why the swelling disappeared so fast.

.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?  Aside from blood clot in the leg, there are many possible cause of leg swelling such as being overweight, increased age, leg infection, side effect of some medications, standing for long periods of time, during parts of the menstrual cycle,  when veins in the legs cannot properly pump blood back to the heart and injury or surgery involving the leg, ankle, or foot.  If the swelling improved with biking, it could be that the activity helped with the improvement of the circulation in the leg. Diagnosis of DVT  is made through evaluation of diagnostic tests such as the ultrasound. A present, you can continue raising your legs above your heart while lying down, exercise your legs to help pump fluid from your legs back to your heart. follow a low-salt diet,and lose weight if you need to.  An embolism occurs when a clot breaks off and moves through the bloodstream or it can get stuck in the brain, lungs, heart, or other area, leading to severe damage. Take care and do keep us posted with your ultrasound and follow-up with your attending physician.