Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
Possible Blood Clot?

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Possible Blood Clot?

I am a 28 year old female. For the past 2 weeks I have had intermittent moments of quick pain in my left upper leg. They began my my knee and have since moved up to my upper thigh. The pain comes and goes, and it has occurred both when I am walking and when I am inactive. I am very active (I exercise daily) and walk around all day as a teacher. I take birth control. I am worried that I may have a blood clot, but am unsure. Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? The symptoms of deep vein thrombosis include changes in skin color in one leg, leg pain, leg tenderness, skin that feels warm to the touch, and swelling. If you experience intermittent leg pain, in the past, you can have this evaluated or have diagnostic tests like D-dimer blood test, doppler ultrasound exam of the legs or  venography done to rule out DVT. Take care and do keep us posted.
There is no warmness, color change, or tenderness, simply just quick pain. It has recently(since the last post) turned to numbness in the left arm and leg. An MRI and ECG were both normal.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. With numbness and neuropathic pain, this could also be neurological in origin. With neuropathic pain, the nerve fibers may be damaged, dysfunctional or injured and send incorrect signals. If it persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Complete neurological examiantion is important. Take care always.