Superficial phlebitis??
about 3 weeks ago I had strep which was treated with zpak, and was giving an IV bag of saline. Strep resolved fine. A week ago I noticed hard, bumpy vein where the IV was. Arm is not swollen or red, although bumps seem to be moving up vein closer to shoulder (subclavian). Not very painful, tender at most. I have been taking aspirin 81mg last two days. I'm thinking its superficial phlebitis. I am currently living on an island with very little medical care. Would you recommend taking amox 500mg po q12hrs for 5 days? (assuming its bacterial infection from IV) (I am a 2nd year med student) Any help is greatly appreciated.
How are you? Do you still experience the symptoms that you mentioned? It is difficult to diagnose over the net and without looking at the bump. However, superficial thrombophlebitis usually settles and goes within 2-6 weeks. For proper management, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and best regards.