Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
could i have a blood clot?

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

could i have a blood clot?

I've been having a weird feeling in my calves off and on for awhile now.  Sometimes its both at once and sometimes one or the other.  The best way for me to describe the feeling is that it feels like a finger is being pressed into my leg.  I can't say its painful but I definitely notice the feeling is there.  I don't notice any redness or warmth but its hard to tell since my legs are usually warm anyway.  I am 34, on birth control pills and overweight.  Other than my weight I am quite healthy...and active.  I am a hotel housekeeper so I am on my feet for generally 3-5 hours at work.  I always elevate my legs after work.  The doctors I have talked to just told me I was dehydration and to drink more water. Can anyone tell me what it feels like to actually have a clot?  How were you tested for them?

I appreciate your help
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
There are many causes of calf muscle pain. Muscle fatigue, heat, or dehydration, muscle cramps are the common causes.Blood clots are more likely to develop in people who are inactive for long periods, those who are overweight and who smoke. In deep vein thrombosis there are leg pains, leg tenderness, increased warmth and skin color changes may be seen. If you are doubtful discuss it with your doctor. X-rays to show veins (venography) in the legs and Doppler ultrasound may be helpful. Do keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? In about half of all cases, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) may be asymptomatic. DVT may also present with swelling in the affected leg,pain, warmth over the affected area, and changes in the skin color, such as turning pale, red or blue. Risk factors that you mentioned are being on birth control and overweight. To rule this out, it is best that diagnostic tests such as ultrasound, blood test and venography may be done. Take care and do keep us posted how it goes.
I went to see a nurse practitioner and she said the feelings I was having was due to varicose veins.  Are there any treatments for varicose veins?

Thank you