Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
dangers of taking coumadin
About This Community:

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

dangers of taking coumadin

I have been taking coumadin for 1 year and 8 months for a large blood clot in my left leg, dianosed as DVT. I was put on coumadin by my primary care doctor.  My onocologist/hematologist wants me off of it as he advised me that coumaadin can have very adverse effects, such as internal bleeding, bleeding in the brain if I would fall, etc.  He said that an aspirin would serve the similar purpose.  He wants me to seriously talk to my primary care doctor about this concern.  My primary care doctor has slightly reduced my dose, and I still get my pt/inr checked on a regular basis.  My choice was to stay on coumadin, as I am fearful of another blood clot.  That was my second blood clot in about 8 years, in the same leg.  My father died from a massive blood clot through the heart/lungs.  Although, I had the genetic blood test to see if I was prone to repeat blood clots, the result was negative.   Help, please advise what I should do.