deep vein thrombosis
I am a twenty year old student with no health problems and a non smoker with no prescriptions.  However, after a long flight abroad I experienced swelling in one foot for two months where it was very difficult to walk on- this has happened before, so I thought nothing of it.  However, I also fainted which I thought might be linked to this.  But I drank lots of water and ran regularly so there is no longer any swelling or symptoms.  Sometimes I think my knee may be stiff, but I do not have any swelling/redness/ pain.  After hearing about deep vien thrombosis I was wondering if I should get this checked out, but due to the fact I am abroad for the next several months studying, this would be very expensive especially as a student and I was wondering if a doctor had any advice.  As I have no symptoms for the past month and only fainted once two months ago, would it be worth it to pay a huge fee when I might be worried about something that doesn’t exist?  I am worried if there is a blood clot it is traveling to my heart, and thus the symptoms in my foot are no longer occurring.   Also being so young and healthy, I don’t this is very common for young people, but perhaps I just don’t know much about it.  I would appreciate any and all information.  Thank you so much.
tmv
This forum is for patient to patient, no drs here. Go to the home site and find one there. However, I would go to the dr regardless. The fainting may not be related, but could be something cardiac going on. It's far better to be safe. Best wishes to you.
How are you? Were you able to have your symptom checked by your doctor? Pulmonary embolism can be fatal and it can present with unexplained sudden onset of shortness of breath, chest pain or discomfort that worsens when you take a deep breath or when you cough' feeling lightheaded or dizzy, or fainting, sweating  and anxiety or nervousness. Diagnosis of DVT  is done with direct clinical examination and diagnostic tests such as ultrasound, blood tests, venography  and CT or MRI scans. Take care and do keep us posted.