disagree with coumadin dose
I have been on coumadin 4 weeks for a calf dvt found 4 days after knee surgery. After 4 days of 5 mg coumadin and shots, my PT INR was at 4.8. Five days later at 2.5 mg coumadin per day, my INR was at a 4.0. I was then put on 2 mg coumadin per day, and after 16 days was down to a 2.0. My G.P. said to stay at 2 mg and would recheck me in a week. I fear this will drop me below a 2.0. I inquired about going back to 2.5 mg. The G.P. said to stay at 2 mg. I do not agree but was unable to discuss this as the results are given the next day over the phone. I have an appointment with a Hematologist, but cannot get in sooner than 4 days after my G.P. wants my recheck. I have taken it upon myself to increase the dose to 2.5 mg every other day. Any opinion or explanation might relieve my anxiety.
How are you? Were you able to see your hematologist?  While the dosage and administration of coumadin must be individualized for each patient according to the patient’s INR response to the drug,  the dose must also be based on the patient’s INR and the condition being treated.  For DVT and PE, warfarin dose target INR of 2.5 (INR range, 2.0-3.0) for all treatment duration is maintained. To ease any anxiety,  it is best that you discuss this with your attending physician for proper management. It is also recommended that you take the medicine as prescribed.