Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
is it likely to be dvt?

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

is it likely to be dvt?

I am 22 years old I broke my ankle 6 months ago and I am still under hospital treatment for it I had a suspected clot in my leg about 4months ago but after the hospital checked me it was a false alarm I am now concerned as I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that I have been experiencing sharp chest pain in the centre of my chest and also a suffocating feeling my leg still keeps swelling and the staff at the hospital have never said anything about it my concerns are that several family members have had clots is it likely that I have a clot that the doctors are not picking up on despite bringing up my concerns?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Welcome to the forum! Family history of clots, pacemaker use, obesity, bedrest, recent surgery, history of taking OC pills, cigarette smoking are all risk factors for deep vein thrombosis. There can be many other causes of swelling of legs like chronic venous insufficiency, lymphodema, cellulitis, kidney failure, heart failure and liver failure. One of the severe complications of deep vein thrombosis is pulmonary embolism which can lead to difficulty in breathing, chest pain and even death. If you are anxious and doubtful about your diagnosis discuss your concerns with your doctor. Tests like Doppler ultrasound, venography may be needed. Also get an electrocardiogram, X-ray chest done for your chest pain. If DVT is ruled out do keep other possibilities in mind as mentioned above. Do keep us posted.
Take care!