Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
slow cirrhosis of the liver

Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body most of which are in your lower leg or thigh. Discuss topics including symptoms, treatments and prevention methods.

slow cirrhosis of the liver

My ex partner of 12 years, who I have only been parted form for the last two weeks has just been diagnosed with slow cirrhosis of the liver. Even though we are no longer together i am devastated sad and deeply upset, she never drank spirits or hard alcohol but did drink far too much lager. She has been told that she will need to take medication to control this illness but not cure her. She has told me that the doctors have said she probably has only ten years max to live. My friends tell me that is not true  and that 5 years is a more accurate reality.i am searching really for the answer that ten years plus is the true life expectancy even though i am probably dreaming. I do not want her life to be cut short. I need some hope , if anyone has an idea that ten years puls is possible i ned to know please.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
In cirrhosis there is abnormal structure and function of the liver. The common causes are alcohol ingestion, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, cryptogenic cirrhosis where the cause is not identified, chronic viral hepatitis, autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cirrhosis, genetic disorders etc.Treatment aims at preventing further damage and treating the complications. Complications of cirrhosis are edema and ascites, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, bleeding from varices, hepatic encephalopathy, hepatorenal syndrome, hepatopulmonary syndrome, hypersplenism, and liver cancer. The life expectancy and overall prognosis can be determined only after knowing the exact cause of her cirrhosis and assessing her general condition. It is best to have a frank discussion with her doctor and clarify your doubts. Do keep me posted on how she is doing.
Best wishes and good luck!
Life Expectancy
Because the liver is such a vital organ, your life can be substantially shortened if your liver becomes too damaged to function properly. As with any life-threatening condition, the number of years lost will vary from person to person, depending on whether there are any other complicating conditions present. If you have cirrhosis of the liver due to heavy alcohol use and you stop drinking and begin a healthy lifestyle with plenty of nutritious food and exercise, you will have a high likelihood of reversing or at least halting the progress of your liver damage. If however, you continue with excessive drinking and an unhealthy lifestyle, the probability of an early death from liver disease is greatly increased.