varicose veins or blood clot???
With my first pregnancy I developed many spider veins on my legs. This pregnancy i have developed some varicose veins. I have one that is protruding on my left inner calf and is right on top of bad spider vein. It is tender to the touch and i can feel a little discomfort walking up and down stairs. Is this normal or could it actually be a blood clot? It is not warm to the touch just painful and tender.
Hi there!
It is common to develop varicose veins during pregnancy or they may get worse if you are already suffering from it. As the uterus grows it puts pressure on the inferior vena cava which in turn increases pressure in the leg veins. They may be painful and can make your legs feel heavy and achy. The skin around the varicose veins may itch, throb or feel like it’s burning. When clots form in veins near the surface of the body, swelling and redness appear along the affected area of the vein. You may consult a doctor and get your doubts clarified. Don’t cross your legs or ankles while sitting. Avoid sitting or standing for long periods at a stretch. Sleeping on left side, wearing compression stockings may be helpful. Consult a local healthcare provider. Do write to us again with more queries.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you for your response. I ended up getting an ultrasound and it turned out everything was ok. Now I have a big bruise in the spot where i was concerned there was a blood clot and I am worried again. Is there bruising associated with clots?