Degenerative Diseases Community
25yo female, severe fatigue and pain stenosis and bulging discs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Background:I am a 25 year old female who started experiencing severe pain and debilitating fatigue about a year and a half ago in my sacroilliac area, buttocks and hips.  I tried all sorts of treatments such as physical therapy, diet change, and nsaids and stretching and heating pads, etc.  They provide very little relief and It always gets worse after standing and walking for long periods of time and is relieved only somewhat by laying down or sitting and resting.  I had an MRI done at first showing only minimal facet degeneration in the lumbar area and I have had a herniated disc in my c-4,c5 disc since I have been imaged as well.  I had posterior fossa decompression surgery in August 2011 to relieve my Chiari 1 malformation symptoms.  I am also on 4mg prednisone daily because I have stopped producing my own cortisol. My testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, fsh and lsh are also low and prolactin 5.0. I have not been tested for any arthritis or anything like that but have ruled out celiacs and limes disease.  

In the past 3-4 months I started getting much worse and the pain is now radiating down both of my legs it wraps around my legs and groin area and goes all the way down to my calves. I cannot stand more than an hour before I am in excruciating pain even on 60mg of ms contin and percocet for breakthrough pain. I have a constant deep ache or pressure feeling in my very low back/hip area and buttocks even when I have not been active, but it is tolerable until I am walking or standing for more than 30 min to an hour.  It is partially relieved when bending forward, sitting down or lying down or bringing knees to my chest while lying down.I was finally able to get a second MRI since it had been 9 months since my last lumbar MRI and the results are significantly different they are as follows:

L1-L2: There is minimal facet joint degeneration without thecal sac or foraminal stenosis
L2-L3:Facet degeneration and slight disc bulge are present, without thecal sac or foraminal stenosis.
L3-l4:Facet degeneration and bulging disc are present,without thecal sac stenosis or definite nerve impingement.The l3-l4 foramina are mildly stenotic.

L4-L5: facet joint degeneration is present at l4-5. A concentric l4-5 bulging disc is present, with moderate left and mild right degenerative foraminal stenosis. The thecal sac is also mildly narrowed.
L5-S1: There is slight facet degeneration witout thecal sac or foraminal stenosis.
Impression:  Relatively mild mulitlevel disc space and facet joint degeneration is described in detail above. at l4-l5 , this leads to mild narrowing of the thecal sac with moderate left and mild right degenerative foraminal stenosis.No discrete disc herniation or areas of thecal sac or severe foraminal stenosis are identified.

So my question is , what does this mean? Nobody will tell me why my back mri has this, from what I read only older people should have stenosis, I am only 25 and have had no injuries or any trauma at all.  Is this a degenerative disc disease, arthritis, just something that wont get worse or better or what can I expect? Can the above mri results cause such severe pain? I just want to know what I can expect.  I also was fired from my job recently due to inability to be at work, and don't know how I am going to be able to work if I am in this much pain all of the time and am thinking about filing for disability, but is this something that would qualify me for disability is this fixable? I just need some more information on how my back went from just mild facet arthritis to all of these changes in less than 9 months?
yes file i filed and am receiving it for my back same as yours and have almost the same symptons
U should be eligable going through the same file rignt away they like to deney u the first time were appealing it the pain never goes away how did it get that way is your job responsibile
Had surgery and rehernaited again

Hi Jen....have u ruled out EDS...it can account for disk issues and all over joint and body pain.

It is a connective tissue disorder that many with chiari also have as it is a related condition....

Check into a Rheumatoid Dr that is well experienced with EDS to see.

Pain can cause fatigue and also low levels of vitamins.....so get them checked as well...
I am 31 yrs old and I too have suffered from chonic back pain and I went to serveral doctors to see if the knew what was going on they sent me to PT and done exercises all that stuff. Had ex-rays and MRI. None of the doctors knew what was going on so I went to a spine doctor and he looked at my MRI and one of my disc was degenerated. I just went today and got a Epidulal shot put in and I go back in a couple if weeks to get another. I will have another one after that so I am going to see if that helps with my pain. I cant stand sit lay or bend without hurting.