Degenerative Diseases Community
Cervical X-Ray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Cervical X-Ray

Hi,  I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on my issue.  I started having a lot neck stiffness about 6 months ago and then it started aching and making grinding sounds about 3 months ago.  I also started experiencing tingling and numbess on the right side of my face between the ear and eye.  Doctor sent me for CT of head and said there was no tumor.  I still have the tingling. Two weeks ago I got up from another restless night of sleep and after beeing up for about an hour, I had severe pain in my neck.  mainly on the left side.  I could not move my neck to the left, I couldn't shrug my shoulder or put my left ear toward my shoulder.  It was a pain of about 12 on a scale from 1-10.  This went on for 4 days before I finally went to the doctor.  I thought maybe it was a crick in my neck.  I tried pain pills, muscle relaxers, heating pad, and bengay patches.  Nothing helped.  The pain is getting better now but if my husband hugs me and squezzes to hard, it sends the pain right back. So the Dr does X-Ray and here is what I was told:

Spurring on the C3-C4
Narrowing of the C4-C5
Spurring of the C5-C6

The Doctor is sending me for an MRI.  What does all this mean?  I am 45 years old and I am a MilTech in the Army.  Which mean I am in the reserve and I also full time Civil Service for the same unit.  I am a budget analyst which requires me to be in front of the computer about 7 hours a day.

Any insight would be appreciated.  I guess I'm trying to find out what the treatment plan will be for this.  
I’m the one that gave you a hard time over on the Neck & Back Forum, the only reason I suggested you ask your own question, is because you’d get more response. If I knew you were going to run away, I would have just answered your question.

Spurring is just referring to bone spurs, which are Arthritis. It can develop in various parts of the spine, just like in your shoulder or hip. So at Cervical Vertebra # 3 & 4 you have some bone spurs.

In between the vertebra are spinal discs, they act as shock absorbers or cushions in the spine. As we age these discs lose water and shrink somewhat, when this happens the adjacent vertebra move and become closer together, more so than normal. That’s what Narrowing of C4-5 is referring to. It’s called disc space narrowing.

Spurring of C5-6 is the same situation as the 1st item.

X-rays don’t really give much information about the condition of the soft tissues, discs and nerves, but they usually do them 1st because MRI’s are so expensive. Sounds like you definitely need to have one.

All your symptoms are fairly typical, I have a lot of neck problems too and I’ve experienced the pain you’re talking about first hand, so I know what you’re going through.  I have problems at C3-4 myself and also have facial tingling and numbness.

If you have any questions, or if you want to post your MRI report when you get it, feel free to post it over on the Neck & Back Forum, because I might miss it if you put it over here. And I promise I won’t give you a hard time.

Take Care

Thank you.  I felt like I had interuppted and I felt bad.  But anyway, I go for MRI today.  Will post on the Neck/Back forum when I get the results.  Does Degenerative Disc Disease spread?  Because I was diagnosed with that in my lower back (around L5) about 10 years ago.  

Here's the definition of DDD:

Degenerative Disc Disease: is not really a disease but a term used to describe the normal changes in your spinal discs as you age.

If what you're asking is whether or not it's spread from your Lumbar spine to the C-Spine, the answer to that would be no. However, people that have DDD in one area of their spine, tend to have it in others, but remember its not a disease in the true sense.

From your x-ray report, yours appears to be more of a arthritic problem, than a disc issue, but that's just speculation. The MRI should pin down the source of the pain.

Take Care