Degenerative Diseases Community
Chiari malformation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Chiari malformation

I have had really odd head pain and i would like to know if anyone who has this condition has the same symptoms. I have ehlers danios, POTS, and an autonomic dysfunction. I have had severe pain in the back of my head and neck area. I now have bad headaches in the back or my head near my neck, my head feels really heavy and too heavy for my neck, neck pain, brain fog, dizziness, ringing in my ears and nausea. I am not sure if I have a chiari malformation or not. I go to my neurologist next month and I plan on asking him then. I was wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms.  
Hi there

The symptoms you have discribed sound alot like Chiari symtoms (symptoms), I had the same ones as well as many more for 8 yrs and complained to several doctors that something was seriously wrong with me before we finally found out that we were dealing with Chiari,however there are other conditions that can mimmick Chiari.

Have you had an MRI done yet? Or is your appt. with the neurologist for that reason? If you have had, what did it show?

I would make sure to find a neuro-surgeon if it turns out to be Chiari ( one who specifically specializes in that) and not mess with a neurologist, they are very different. NS would be able to do the symptomology and tell whether you infact would need surgery. ( However not a for sure fix, but could help to eleviate some of your symptoms and blockage of CSF if needed. Neurologist would only prescribe you meds to try and help you with the pain, But that is only masking the situation.

I wish you luck  and please let us know what you find out. My prayers are with you.