Degenerative Diseases Community
DJD/Bulging at l4-l5, arthritis at l5-s1

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Hi. Since I was 22 (now 30) I've had a history of back related pain. It started as sciatic pain that radiated from my lower back to bottom of foot. It then turned into back spasm, fatique, and stiffness. Over the course of the years, I've had a bone scan, 2 xrays, and 3 MRI's. I tested positive for HLA-B27 but my test results were always neg until last month. They did another xray that showed mild arthritis so they then folllowed up with MRI, which confirmed DJD and bulging disc. They also mentioned spinal stenosis. I'm not sure why I've had symptoms for so long, but this is just showing up. They suspected it was Spondylitis based on my history, but MRI did not show anything significant related to that. My rheumatologist stated that he will do another MRI next year to see if sign of that disorder will show, because apparently it could take years to appear on imaging. I don't understand how it would take so long for xrays to identify anything and I do not believe that this is normal for someone of my age. I feel like I'm an elderly person although I'm young. My father has rheumatoid arthritis, but I tested negative for that as well. Can you advise? Thanks.