Degenerative Diseases Community
Degenerative Disk Disease w/ anterior prominent osteophytes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

I was was diagnosed on September 12, 2007:  C-Spine five views revealing some straightening of the cervical lordosis and C5 - C6 Degenerative Disc Disease with Anterior Prominent Osterphytes.   Recently I have been having numbnesss, cramping, and tightness in my left shoulder, neck , left arm to include my left hand.  Also it feels like I have a "tightness" on the right side of my throat and there is pain/tenderness in my neck through and to my right shoulder.
Do you think this could be from the osteophytes or maybe just over used muscles in the neck, arms and shoulders? If it is the osteophytes, could it have gotten worse in just a year?  Also both of my hands have been x-rayed and indicate type II Acromion.  Is this another type of disease?  Can you help give me with discriptions on these items and what can I do to feel better.  On the Degenerative Disc Disease, is surgery recommended?
hello, i too have degenerative disc disease throughout my whole spine. i had 4 herniated disc in my cervical spine alone. i have had all the same symptoms u described. i also have osteophytes. i just had surgery on oct 31st to remove the most severe disc hernition(with fushion), the other 3 are relatively small they said. but i am still in just as much pain(with all symptoms) if not more!! my neurosurgeon says that this pain may just be from the fushion(metal plate with 4 screws)& we can't do anything for 3 months anyway,so in 3 months we're gonna due more testing& investigate the other discs! he says i still have a great deal of healing to due!! my disc was very extreme & my surgery took almost 7 hours! have u seen a neurosurgeon yet? i suggest u do! best of wishes to you!!1 i know what it sis like to hurt all of the time, thats for sure!!!!