Degenerative Diseases Community
Degenerative Facet Disease PLUS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to living with degenerative disease.

Degenerative Facet Disease PLUS

My name is Frances I am a 51 year old female. I have had SEVERE BACK PAIN (THORACIC) for over 2 years. Results of MRI 9-24-07:
Multilevel degenerative facet disease and uncovertebral arthrosis with multilevel broad based disk osteophyte complexes and left-sided neural foraminal narrowing at C3-4, C4-5 and C5-6. No central canal stenosis.
WOULD THIS CAUSE BACK PAIN IN MY THORACIC REGION? PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THIS MEANS AND IN YOUR OPINION HOW YOU WOULD CORRECT THIS!
                                                          ***IN ADDITION***
Myelogram of Thoracic and Lumbar Spine on 07-12-07 Results:
Extensive nerve root sheath cysts bilaterally as detainled above. These may be unrelated to the patient's pain however it has been reported that these do have potential to cause some nerve root compression and could potentially be related to the patient's symptoms. (ABOVE in part states: Nerve root sheath cysts are present bilaterally essentially at all levels in the thoracic spine and lumbar spine. These range in size 3mm to 9mm.) In addition I have a Mild broad base disc protrusions at L3-4 and L4-5 which do produce some anterior thecal sac effacement with extension. Innumerable nerve rooth sheath cysts which are identified bilaterally at essentially all levels in the thoracic and lumbar spine. The largest on the left at the L5-S1 level measuring 1.1 cm.Within the sacral canal a large Tarlov cyst measures 2.9x1.6 cm.

PLEASE ADVISE: What is you OPINION of any type of TREATMENT for these cysts. As I have doctors disagreeing with weather or not they cause pain.

ANY INFORMATION YOU COULD ADVISE WOULD CERTAINLY BE HELPFUL TO ME! THANK YOU!
Yes this is what is causing your pain, which I'm sure is very severe at times. I'm not a dr or nurse, but I did work it a family practice before I had to quit work because of my pain.I would say you are experiencing spasms and radiating pain from your neck to your t-spine. Plus it looks like you have bone spurs and alot of narrowing. These things could be applying pressure to your spinal nerves. I had surgery for C-5,6 and7 with the discs removed, an allograft bone(cadavier) bone fused into place with a titanium plate and screws. The immediate pain relief for awhile was instant and then I started getting spasms again. My doctor says that that the spasms were the body's way of trying to protect the back from the injury of the surgery. I tried pt for several weeks, chiropractic therepy, massage therepy etc.etc. My newest doctor has said that my body is rejected the forgein material of the allograft bone, and it probly would have done better if they had took bone from my hip. If I had it to do over again I would. I now have had upteen x-rays,ct's,mri's nerve cond. test and so on and so on. Final dx:degenerative disc disease,osteoarthritis,neuropathy,bursitis,tendonitis,carpal tunnel,and a possible auto immune disease. And the worst blow fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and last but not lease depression.

You need to get a neurologist, chiropractor,physical therapist and if possible a great massage therepist. Mine worked in conjuction with the chiropractor. Sorry this was so long. I'm home alot by myself so I figure this is my compensation. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
I too have degenerative disc disease with plate/cadavar/screws in C5/6 and now above and below that have herniated and are putting pressure on the spinal canal.  I have radiating pain/burning between my shoulder blades and down both arms.  Today I feel like they are going to fall off!  I've been tossed from one Dr. to another.  Without going into grave detail I wondered how they diagnosed you with Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue when you have a legitamate problem going on?  Do they just go hand in hand?  I thought fibro. was diagnosed when they couldn't find an underlying problem?  You have an underlying problem with your disc disease.  Also are they saying the spasms are a symptom of rejection?  I had spasms right after surgery, but several weeks later those went away.  My surgery lasted 3 years almost to date, before they diagnosed two more herniation.  That is the problem with fusion, too much pressure on the above and below vertebrae!  Now they want to do another fusion.  I can't go on like this every 3 years.  

I too was diagnosed with auto immune disease, I don' tknow what this means exactly?  That the antibodies attack everything in your body?  What do we have to look forward to?  Could this disease be causing the degenerative disease?  Which one do you treat first, or do you have to treat them together.  My current Dr's are not even treating the auto immune and are just focused on wanting to do more fusion surgery in my neck.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am on way too many meds and can't live like this but don't want more surgery either.  It's a catch 20/20...or whatever that saying is...

Thanks!
I am a 76 year old male suffering from low back pain for last three  years.  Of late the pain, numbness of lower limbs and tingling sensastion had become troublesome and after consulting an orthopedic surgeon I had my MRI done which gives the following picture

LUMBAR SPONDYLOSIS WITH DEGENERATIVE FACET ARTHROSIS FROM L2 TO S1 BROAD BASED DISC EXTRUSION WITH FLAVAL HYPERTROPHY AT  L4 L5 IS CAUSING SEVERE THECAL AND NERVE ROOT COMPRESSION M ORE ON THE RIGHT SIDE

DIFFUSE ANNULAR BULGES AALSO SEEN AT ALL LEVELS WITH FLAVAL HYPERTROPHY IN THE THORACIC AND LUMBAR SPINE INDENTING THE TH ECAL SASC THERE IS M ODERATE THECAL COMPRESSION AT L3 L4

AT L5 S1 THERE IS IMPINGEMENT ON THE RIGHT S1 NERVE ROOT DUE TO OSTEOPHYTES AND SYNVIAL THICKENING ON THE RIGHAT SIDE

SPONDYLOTIC RIDGES WITH FLAVIAL HYPERTROPHY ARE SEEN IN MULTIPLE LEVELS IN CERVICAL SPINE AT C4 C5 TO C5 C6 CAUSING THECAL COMAPRESSION

NO EVIDENCE OF MARROW EDEMA IN S1 JOINTS

I want to avoid surgery  if possible due to age factor and also the expenses involved.  Can any one guide me as to whether  such condition as mine can be treated medically wihtout  surgical procaedures and also if alternate medicine or physiotherapy will help.

I am a 32 year old female who is very attive and has had issues with my back for years. I have a a disk dessication (desiccation) and diffused disk bulge with mild canal and bilateral neuroforminal stenosis concerning L3-L4. L4-L5 Bilateral facet and ligamentum flavum hpertrophy and mild facet hypertrophy bilaterally between L5-S1. I have tried physical therapy and different ortho doctors for years now. Next I  will try an injection approach. Am I wasting time and money with these procedures. Normal everyday activity causes pain and as I satated before I am very physically active. Is surgery my next option since I am younger and will recover faster. I do not want to be limited to what I can do or live in pain for the next 10 years. Any advice will help.